PDA

View Full Version : Loose alloy wheels on Nissan Patrol

jeffan
2nd March 2012, 04:35 PM
I recently lost a left hand back wheel and contacted Nissan for a warranty claim. They refused to acknowledge there is a problem with these wheels, even though there was a recall to fit plastic indicators to show that wheel nuts may be coming loose. I have photographic evidence of another 2008 patrol with the same problem. I would like anybody who has had the same problem to contact me, as I have not finished with Nissan Australia at this stage.:mad: Jeff

NissanGQ4.2
2nd March 2012, 06:26 PM
Welcome 2 the forum Jeff,

Sorry 2 hear your drama's with Nissan, good luck with it.

Hope you keep the Patrol and stick around on the forum, great bunch of members that are always willing 2 help out where they can.

You might want to re-post your problem in a new thread under general chat as some members may not see it in the intro section.

Cheers

Todd

Tweakedoffroad
2nd March 2012, 09:51 PM
Weelcome aboard mate good luck with hope it all gets sorted keep us posted

Clunk
2nd March 2012, 09:58 PM
Gday Jeff and welcome aboard mate....... I hope Nissan come to the party for ya considering it is a known problem.

Maxhead
3rd March 2012, 09:46 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

Woof
3rd March 2012, 11:24 PM
Just moved this thread to the correct section Jeff, slip over to the introduction section and post up a intro, always good to do that first before asking any questions, it gets everyone on side from the beginning mate

BillsGU
4th March 2012, 02:08 PM
Good luck Jeff. It will be interesting to see how it ends. They must know there is a problem - why else hand out some stupid plastic indicators. And then what? Pull over every 10 km to check your wheels? If I bought a set of CSA wheels and they continued to come loose I'm sure that CSA would replace them.

Bulbous
4th March 2012, 05:03 PM
There IS a recall on the Alloy wheels because they can work loose and fall off
There IS not a problem with the wheels so warranty denied

Maybe it's just me but I see a major contradiction with those 2 items. If there's no issue then why the recall. If there is a recall then the warranty should cover.

Personally, I would be going back to Nissan and stating that I see the recall as an admission that there is an issue with the alloy wheels and that therefore the warranty should cover the damage caused by the wheel falling off.
Don't get angry with them just be firm and stress that there appears to be a LEGAL contradiction where they admit and deny a problem at the same time. Stress the LEGAL part and make it clear that if they don't cover then you will investigate the Full LEGAL position and publish the result.

What have you got to lose?

Rumcajs
4th March 2012, 06:31 PM
Whilst I sympathize with OP, aaaaand Nissan has also some explaining to do the main issue here is incorrect wheel fitment made worse by a silly design.
These wheels ought to be centered correctly and must be torque tensioned correctly otherwise they're coming off especially LHS.
Cheers

geoffayres
4th March 2012, 07:00 PM
Steel wheels are good.......

BearGUST
4th March 2012, 07:12 PM
There IS a recall on the Alloy wheels because they can work loose and fall off
There IS not a problem with the wheels so warranty denied

Maybe it's just me but I see a major contradiction with those 2 items. If there's no issue then why the recall. If there is a recall then the warranty should cover.

Personally, I would be going back to Nissan and stating that I see the recall as an admission that there is an issue with the alloy wheels and that therefore the warranty should cover the damage caused by the wheel falling off.
Don't get angry with them just be firm and stress that there appears to be a LEGAL contradiction where they admit and deny a problem at the same time. Stress the LEGAL part and make it clear that if they don't cover then you will investigate the Full LEGAL position and publish the result.

What have you got to lose?

Is there a recall? There are many different classifications in this area: recall, rework, customer satisfaction campaigns... If there is a campaign-which wheels??? It won't be every alloy wheel. they may have just revised the torque spec.
I'd like to see some hard evidence on this topic so i can be confident about my wheels.

Rumcajs
4th March 2012, 07:55 PM
Is there a recall? There are many different classifications in this area: recall, rework, customer satisfaction campaigns... If there is a campaign-which wheels??? It won't be every alloy wheel. they may have just revised the torque spec.
I'd like to see some hard evidence on this topic so i can be confident about my wheels.

There is/was Nissan safety recall which was/is applicable to alloy wheels on certain GU series, most owners where contacted by Nissan, I was even though I never ever gave Nissan any of my details.
I was directed to dealership where they checked the wheels, re-torqued them than installed the indicators (3 per wheel only) and also given a card how to correctly install and tighten the wheels.
They also slapped a sticker on the driver side door pillar. I'd guess that's their "get out of jail card".
Cheers

BearGUST
4th March 2012, 08:47 PM
OK, that doesn't sound like a "recall" then.
What series is your GU? 16 or 17" wheels?
It's an interesting problem cos VERY few people torque their wheel nuts so Nissan could well be safe of any blame.
If your wheel came loose it would be hard to prove that it had been torqued correctly beforehand.

Rumcajs
4th March 2012, 08:51 PM
Mine is Series 4 with 17" Alloys. Perhaps we should call it a safety campaign.
Cheers

cossy
4th March 2012, 09:50 PM
Hi all my wife losta front wheel on GU 3 2003 in a school area luck only doing 40 km so lucky. Its that littel lip on the hub. it only fell out onto the bottom of the alloy wheel.

Dingo55
16th March 2012, 12:57 AM
Hi all my wife losta front wheel on GU 3 2003 in a school area luck only doing 40 km so lucky. Its that littel lip on the hub. it only fell out onto the bottom of the alloy wheel.

cossy, did you determine any good reason why the wheel came off? There's a number of cases reported on here & other sites where patrol owners have lost wheels. Some have said it was their inattention to detail - changed the wheel recently but didn't torque the nuts at fitting & didn't recheck wheel nut tension the next day. Others have said the wheels just came off with no good reason. All have said they were running alloys, but few have given any detail of tyre size, driving conditions, what type of alloys, year of alloys etc. Any thoughts on your wheel issue?

cheers

robbo0001
16th March 2012, 06:59 AM
There is gold 3L GU sitting on its butt, just around the corner from our place in North Brisbane.
Been there 3 days, on a main road......passenger side rear wheel disappeared, resting on its brake disc and diff. Looks like 16" rims....hope he/she isn't waiting on a warranty claim from NIssan, might be waiting a while.
Hasn't been "cannaried" by the Police yet, which is strange.

97_gq_lwb
16th March 2012, 07:41 AM
I can't help but think of that add on tele years ago OH NO NOT THE WHEEL NUTS :jawdrop:

Dingo55
16th March 2012, 07:09 PM
There is gold 3L GU sitting on its butt, just around the corner from our place in North Brisbane.
Been there 3 days, on a main road......passenger side rear wheel disappeared, resting on its brake disc and diff. Looks like 16" rims....hope he/she isn't waiting on a warranty claim from NIssan, might be waiting a while.
Hasn't been "cannaried" by the Police yet, which is strange.

what street robbo?

Steveo_the_Devo
16th March 2012, 07:59 PM
Anyone know what the torque settings are for tightening up the alloy wheelnuts?

robbo0001
16th March 2012, 11:07 PM
Here is the sad Patrol near my place...if the owner is on here, I feel for ya mate.

There isn't a single stud left, on that rear passenger hub.
My opinion.....rattle gun over-tightening, and then "snap studs, bye-bye wheel". BUt I AM an electrician...so I might be wrong.

The vehicle is perfectly intact, after 4 days.
Good.
Hope the owner gets its sorted out...No " abandoned vehicle" placard yet....luckily the Police Station is 100 metres away, and they are keeping an eye on it.

AB
16th March 2012, 11:15 PM
I haven't read through this post properly but if no one has posted this link up then It's a good read.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5035-WARNING-Genuine-Nissan-Rims-are-becoming-a-HAZARD!&highlight=warning+alloy+wheels

robbo0001
17th March 2012, 12:28 AM
I think these photos look sort-of similar...but there isn't a SiNGLE stud left on the red Patrol.

And yes, thats hub is till attached to the axles and suspension....even after being dragged about 20 metres (looking at roadsurface)

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/blueydog/Photo0469.jpg http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/blueydog/Photo0471.jpg

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/blueydog/studspatrol.jpg

its not a alloy rim problem....its an "over torquing" of the wheel nuts, with a rattle gun.

A shite situation to be in, regradless of what caused it.

Hopefully Nissan had just serviced this Patrol.....(for the owners sake)

Clunk
17th March 2012, 12:51 AM
Time to go out and get a torque wench is it??? Talking of which any one know what the setting is supposed to be? Some tyre place tried to convince my sister in law that there was no issue ...... pointed out to her "well if there's no issue, why have your wheel nut indicators moved?"...... have tried pointing them to the forum but is proving difficult, so will have to go and do something about it. Do those indicators pop off or is there a removal tool, if there is what's it look like? ......... will have to copy these pics to show her what could happen.

Dingo55
17th March 2012, 01:28 AM
Anyone know what the torque settings are for tightening up the alloy wheelnuts?

My manual shows torque wheel nuts to 133Nm or 98ftlb (2010 VII) - correct positioning of the alloy rim centre over the small lip on the hub & manually threading genuine wheel nuts initally is vital to keep wheel centred, I use the sequence 1, 3, 5, 2, 4, 6 a few threads for each nut until taper on nuts is correctly seated, torque wrench to finish off, recheck after 50-100km, keep checking nut tention regularly

Dingo55
17th March 2012, 01:38 AM
[QUOTE=clunk71;200949]Time to go out and get a torque wench is it??? Talking of which any one know what the setting is supposed to be? Do those indicators pop off or is there a removal tool, if there is what's it look like? QUOTE]

see pic of the removal tool supplied in the Nissan wheel nut indicator kit - mild tin, use carefully or you could end up with 2 tools

Clunk
17th March 2012, 01:43 AM
Dingo, you're a star...... thanks heaps for that.

Peter cfm
6th July 2012, 05:18 PM
Hi Jeff

I have had the problem it came off at 95km
Replace the hubs on the rear it did again left hand rear
Replace the rims seems to be work Unfortunatly I need check the tyres every day
I will never buy a Nissan again going to buying a BT 50 Mazda
Contacted Nissan first time they about
Peter

threedogs
6th July 2012, 05:46 PM
Got that recall, shop that services my truck knows what they are doing and use those torque ends on the rattle gun, My hose reel in backyard is brand new rim that fell off someones rig, was going to use on trailer but the other mags had slotted holes,too far gone. never had problem and I have powder coated OE rims..... Pics coming I hope

deekay
6th July 2012, 07:16 PM
I had the same thing happen to me (left hand rear wheel came off) on my daughters 03 GU3, was going from Perth to Adelaide to pick up a caravan for her. The wheel came of just 3 kms Perth side of Tammin & wrecked all of the wheel studs. I got a lift into Tammin (leaving my missus with the car) & luckily there was a GQ being wrecked & I bought the 6 studs & wheel nuts of one of the rear hubs. I walked back & fitted them & continued on my way, checking the nuts about every hour. The wheel had slotted holes so I used the spare & had the wheel repaired when I got back (they drilled out the holes & fitted inserts & we use it as the spare).

megatexture
6th July 2012, 07:27 PM
Steel wheels are good.......

it happens with steel ones also its not the rims i lost one out near opalton and i torque mine to specs

my post is on the thread ab put up page 3 post # 29

teno45
7th July 2012, 02:55 AM
Got that recall, shop that services my truck knows what they are doing and use those torque ends on the rattle gun, My hose reel in backyard is brand new rim that fell off someones rig, was going to use on trailer but the other mags had slotted holes,too far gone. never had problem and I have powder coated OE rims..... Pics coming I hope

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/teno45/23012012777.jpg

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/teno45/050720121285.jpg

AB
7th July 2012, 08:17 AM
What a classic...lol

flatvermin
7th July 2012, 06:57 PM
Seems to be a lot of people on here that have had this issue. I'm worried now as I just swapped rims over (yesterday) and had a hard time undoing the nuts because they were too tight!
Hopefully all is well because I've had other situations like this in the past where nuts were over done and no issues.

threedogs
7th July 2012, 07:03 PM
Just make sure the rear ones are centred on that small lip and torque them up and you should have no problems, its that small lip causing trouble. last shop didn't centre mine right and came loose. they'll loosen in first 20 or so K so re tighten, should be ok after that

NissanGQ4.2
7th July 2012, 07:06 PM
Is this just a sh!tbox GU thing??? Ive never had any problems with my GQ alloys

Briandon
6th August 2012, 10:21 PM
G'day Jeffan, New to the foru, hence late reply.
Had LHF wheel depart compant with the rest of the vehicle in my 2008 3.0 CRD Wagon late in 2009.
Damaged the body and brake disc, wrecked wheel, all in all no fun.
Contacted Nissan who said that they had never heard of the problem before and that it must have been due to incorrect fitment, explained that I had tyre industry experience and knew how to fit up and torque wheel nuts.
Nissan would accept no liability so I was left to wear it.
Funny enough they had a recall for my current 2010 CRD Wagon to fir wheel nut position indicators.Best of luck with your claim.
Briandon

megatexture
7th August 2012, 12:27 AM
Is this just a sh!tbox GU thing??? Ive never had any problems with my GQ alloys

a mate has had it happen to his land cruiser and I’ve seen it on a navara also but couldn’t tell you if it was caused by the same issue

G'day Jeffan, New to the foru, hence late reply.
Had LHF wheel depart compant with the rest of the vehicle in my 2008 3.0 CRD Wagon late in 2009.
Damaged the body and brake disc, wrecked wheel, all in all no fun.
Contacted Nissan who said that they had never heard of the problem before and that it must have been due to incorrect fitment, explained that I had tyre industry experience and knew how to fit up and torque wheel nuts.
Nissan would accept no liability so I was left to wear it.
Funny enough they had a recall for my current 2010 CRD Wagon to fir wheel nut position indicators.Best of luck with your claim.
Briandon

when it happened to us we had not been informed about the recall yet nissan wanted nothing to do with us but our insurance covered it thankfully but i think it was because of not having been told about the recall that they did, lucky to as we would have been out of pocket around 4grand in damages

Morton
7th August 2012, 08:14 AM
my LHS rear tyre come off when my wife was driving turning right at a round about, this is on an 02 GU, I rang a few boys in my club & 2 asked if it was the rear left wheel, apparently common issue with the GU, it had happened with me in it when it had alloys but I felt something was wrong & stopped, found the issue & tightened them, when it happened to the wifey it had steel rims on, munched the rim, tyre, rotor, sheared 3 lugs, bent 2 lugs & damaged 1 pad, of coarse this happened at 5pm Friday, I was going away for the weekend, she was 300m from home, I put the spare on & spent 30 minutes limping it home very, very slowly.

That night I pulled it down so I knew the real damage, spent all Sat morning on the phone & Sat arvo on the road driving all over Sydney getting all the bits & pieces I needed to repair it. In went 5 new lugs (genuine) 6 new wheels nuts (genuine) new pads & rotors (both sides), rotors priced in at between $180-$400 a pair, new rim & repaired tyre that is now my spare, about $450 later & a loss of a complete weekend the wifey had it back as the school bus for Monday morning, I rechecked the LHS rear Monday arvo & it was good, same a week later, I have been extra diligent with that tyre since

DX grunt
7th August 2012, 09:13 AM
I'm guilty of not checking my nuts every week, but if I did, would it still be an issue?

Rossco

97_gq_lwb
7th August 2012, 12:34 PM
I heard something about a coarser thread stud and nut like a 1.5 over the 1.25 that was a bit longer worked a treat.
Has anyone else heard of this working or tried it and had success.
I would have thought a split washer would do the trick .

megatexture
7th August 2012, 03:59 PM
stock rims have a taper not flat so i dont think you can use a split washer

threedogs
7th August 2012, 04:51 PM
Tojos ungrade from an 10mm stud to a 12mm stud, maybe do this mod for the Patrol. mine have come loose but sorted them out in time. Just retighten after a quick drive, Shouldn't have any problems

nomadTech87
1st September 2012, 04:41 PM
I had this problem. They sent out the safety notice not long after I bought my 'Trol. I had nissan fit the indicators and I checked them every couple of weeks, they never moved.

That was until one rainy freezing day in the blue mtns, I felt a bit of a wobble driving round a bend.
It was wet so didn't think much of it, the highway gets pretty slippery up at mt. Victoria. Next bend the wobble was there again and there was a rattle sound.
At this point I thought, "I'll pull over in town and work out what the hell that was", there was a rest area less than a km ahead. Before I even got out of the bend,
there was a loud bang and the back end slid along the tar and pulled me into a ditch. Had to get the cops up there because it was half on the hwy on a blind corner in the wet.
Then I stood in the rain for 2 hrs because there were no towtrucks in the upper mountains that day.

Once the towie got it back home I worked out the brake rotor was buggered, 4 wheel studs bent/ 2 sheared off, brake baffle plate gone and the tire had smashed the plastic tail light
asssembly on its way out.
ASAP I went to my local nissan dealer to get the parts I needed, after talking to my usual parts guy who is always a massive help, he suggested I should go over to the service department and tell
them what happened.
I talked to a service mechanic, told him what had happened, explained I had the tires with the defect etc. He seemed genuinely concerned and went to get the head service manager
... That's when the usual Nissan Australia experience began. He came out in his suit and tie, then explained to me there was no recall or defect on the alloy rims, simply a 'notice'.
I wasn't even interested in getting money out of them, just wanted to let Nissan know that this had happened even though I had the markers and had regularly been checking them.
If my tire had come off the way it did in an urban area it could have seriously injured someone.
The service manager however didn't want to know about it and palmed me off by telling me that it wasn't their problem, said I'd have to take it to the dealer who fitted the indicators.
(As if to say that fitting the plastic caps wrong at the dealer had caused the incident).

2 weeks after this happened, a work colleague saw a GU near Port Stevens laying on the side of the road with a wheel missing and one very frustrated driver.
I also found out that a couple of years ago a Patrol in my employers WA office had an alloy undo and shear off.

After the incident I swapped the factory alloys for steel sunraysias. I could have sold the alloys and made a profit but I took them to the
local tip instead and threw them in the landfill. Decided it would be wrong to sell them to someone else knowing just how much trouble those particular alloys cause

I'll add that while I was waiting for the cops/towie, a bloke in an older 'cruiser pulled up on the other side of the hwy,
looked at my Patrol laying in the ditch(the missing wheel was on the other side away from his view), looked at me standing in the freezing rain and said "put it in four wheel drive ya idiot"
before shaking his head and driving off. Needless to say if I ever see that bloke again me and him and going to come to blows

Russo
8th November 2012, 09:57 AM
I too have had the exact same issue this weekend with my '04 Patrol. After servicing (private mechanic), 1 weeks full regular driving, a 4 hour trip to the Murray with caravan in tow & a couple of 1/2 hour trips in & out of town, the left rear wheel sheared 2 studs completely & had the other 4 hanging by a thread after 2 hours travelling home. How, after so much driving even under heavy load can the wheel then decide its time to work itself off the axle? Really disappointed & I have no confidence at all in the wheels now. I will also be looking for a set of steels to replace the alloys.

lorrieandjas
8th November 2012, 11:22 AM
Soo - glad I found this thread. I have the 2102 GU 8 with alloys and what look like the indicators on three studs. Now - I found that little aluminium tool in the console - nearly threw it out - hope I haven't. Can anyone tell me how to use it since I didn't receive any info from the dealer about it? AM I just supposed to check the red arrows stay in the same spot?

BillsGU
8th November 2012, 01:23 PM
Ask the dealer - that's what you paid good money for. Also the more peeved off customers they get the more chance they will do something about it. Asking for help on the forum for something like this is great and you will get lots of help and opinions here - but that wont fix the problem.

threedogs
8th November 2012, 01:37 PM
This thread been going since 2 of March , Put some 14mm landcruiser studs in up grade the torque rating to suit.. MR Nissans Not going to fix it Just put the thicker studs in
Surely this tread should have been resolved months ago, Over engineer your studs, peace of mind . I'll also be doing a a BOLT instead of stud for your rear wheel carrier if anyony interested
This With allow you to have a high light jack holder up to latest model. Just PM if Interested. High Quality product most colours not charge if different colour required

After having wheels fitted or rotated, check after 30-40 k nip up after that you should be fine, you'll find the'll only come loose in first 30 or so kS

happygu
8th November 2012, 10:37 PM
I don't want to speak too soon, as I have never had a problem with the GU Alloys in over 12 years.

I once nearly lost a steel rim on the left rear of the MQ once, and I think that has made me cautious and made me check the wheels with a little extra diligence from then on.

It isn't just an alloy whel problem and it isn't just pertinent to Nissan's, but I think that the main problem is that the GU Alloys are particularly tight on the hub, causing you to think that the wheel is all done up tight when it isn't sitting flat against the hub......

Rumcajs
8th November 2012, 10:46 PM
Soo - glad I found this thread. I have the 2102 GU 8 with alloys and what look like the indicators on three studs. Now - I found that little aluminium tool in the console - nearly threw it out - hope I haven't. Can anyone tell me how to use it since I didn't receive any info from the dealer about it? AM I just supposed to check the red arrows stay in the same spot?

Here is some info about that, these cards are meant to be supplied when the safety recall is done. The whole issue is a typical Nissan failure. Even the recall is botched up by supplying only 3 indicators per wheel. What the cheap skates. You can purchase a rest of them from Ni$$an Rare Parts department for lousy $72 AUD GST Incl.
Cheers

Bulbous
9th November 2012, 06:58 AM
Any one know what locking wire is and what it's used for?

Its a thin wire (Stainless Steel is best) that's often used in aircraft to ensure that things cannot come undone. Typically a couple of small holes in the nut/bolt are wired to the next nut in such a way, that if one loosens, it would pull the other one tighter. Since they are torqued up in the first place, then it's difficult to pull the next one tighter - so one can't become loose. It tends to prevent the first loosening, and definitely prevents escalation.

It's been used on aircraft for years - simple and so so effective.

An example

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/11/31.jpg

This is a good solution for wheel nuts, I'm thinking of getting my nuts drilled :D

On the downside, it can really hurt when you don't bend over the locked wire and you stab it down behind your thumb nail

lorrieandjas
9th November 2012, 12:02 PM
Here is some info about that, these cards are meant to be supplied when the safety recall is done. The whole issue is a typical Nissan failure. Even the recall is botched up by supplying only 3 indicators per wheel. What the cheap skates. You can purchase a rest of them from Ni$$an Rare Parts department for lousy $72 AUD GST Incl.
Cheers

Thanks mate - cleared that up for me now!

Eds where?
10th November 2012, 07:58 PM
This is the first time I have heard about wheels coming off and plastic indicators? I have asked my mates who also own patrols and they haven't either. Good luck with Nissan.

Bloodyaussie
10th November 2012, 08:29 PM
Welcome aboard mate........

Rober
19th December 2012, 02:53 AM
last week i loose my left ''17 alloy wheel on patrol.wheel nuts where tigt at 150Nm.and just after 500km,wheel came off,and on other wheels,wheel nuts where screw off..car has 90 000km.today i ask for i price of new alloy wheel,they sad 1300eur...that is just too much..i will by a used one or from some other wheel manufacturer to have as a spear one.

Stropp
19th December 2012, 04:11 PM
rober just look along the side of the road mate there is sure to be one lying there that has fallen of another patrol. (joke) good luck mate and keep checking

Rober
19th December 2012, 07:21 PM
rober just look along the side of the road mate there is sure to be one lying there that has fallen of another patrol. (joke) good luck mate and keep checking

i would,but there is almost no any patrols...so no any lying wheels...

Morton
22nd December 2012, 09:44 AM
Rober, a good practice to have when any wheels are changed or removed for any reason is to nip the rear left wheel again once you get home or after a drive, I really believe this has to do with having such a good rear diff in them, is your left hand drive or right hand drive, I think the right hand drive patrols have the issue with the rear left wheel & vice-versa, I am extremely weary of it now after it happened to me, I check it periodically & before any major trip, never been an issue since

Rober
23rd December 2012, 01:52 AM
Rober, a good practice to have when any wheels are changed or removed for any reason is to nip the rear left wheel again once you get home or after a drive, I really believe this has to do with having such a good rear diff in them, is your left hand drive or right hand drive, I think the right hand drive patrols have the issue with the rear left wheel & vice-versa, I am extremely weary of it now after it happened to me, I check it periodically & before any major trip, never been an issue since

from now on,i will also check my wheels periodically with torque key,I bought it last week.I'am thinking also to put some loctite medium strenght bolt nut glue.
i don't get it,what a rear diff has with it?

threedogs
23rd December 2012, 07:53 AM
X 2 always re check tightness of nuts after 50 k, or this will happen.

Rober
23rd December 2012, 08:39 AM
today i did buy all 24 new wheel nuts and six new screws on wheel that fall off.one screw did brake,and two where bend,but i will replace them all 6...

Morton
23rd December 2012, 08:17 PM
from now on,i will also check my wheels periodically with torque key,I bought it last week.I'am thinking also to put some loctite medium strenght bolt nut glue.
i don't get it,what a rear diff has with it?

Rober, it is just my theory in regards to the diff but I have spoken to a couple of people including an Engineer & my theory 'seems' plausible to them, I am not saying this is the issue but let me explain my theory, Patrols appear to have an issue with the back left wheel coming loose & often coming off as a result, often damaging the rim & the lugs (what you refer to as screws) The LSD in the back of the patrols are notoriously good, if your vehicle is RHD the left rear will turn in a tighter circle when turning left everytime, sometimes a good rear diff will 'chatter' when turning as both wheels are trying to turn at the same time which is physically impossible when doing left turns (U turns create the same issue but people rarely perform U turns) I believe this is creating more stress on the back left nuts/rim/lugs causing a failure at times, one theory of mine is the rim holes for the lugs are slowly becoming larger over time & to the eye is no more noticably different to the others, eventually the torque settings become redundant as it will not hold as well as it was engineered to do, again this is only my theory, my other theory is my wife is trying to collect on my life insurance lol, I wouldnt put loctite on the lugs mate, just be vigilant with them & you will be fine

Winnie
23rd December 2012, 08:21 PM
But the same thing happens to the right wheel when you turn right.

Clunk
23rd December 2012, 09:21 PM

But the lugs as also spinning in the right direction......

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Rober
24th December 2012, 01:00 AM
Rober, it is just my theory in regards to the diff but I have spoken to a couple of people including an Engineer & my theory 'seems' plausible to them, I am not saying this is the issue but let me explain my theory, Patrols appear to have an issue with the back left wheel coming loose & often coming off as a result, often damaging the rim & the lugs (what you refer to as screws) The LSD in the back of the patrols are notoriously good, if your vehicle is RHD the left rear will turn in a tighter circle when turning left everytime, sometimes a good rear diff will 'chatter' when turning as both wheels are trying to turn at the same time which is physically impossible when doing left turns (U turns create the same issue but people rarely perform U turns) I believe this is creating more stress on the back left nuts/rim/lugs causing a failure at times, one theory of mine is the rim holes for the lugs are slowly becoming larger over time & to the eye is no more noticably different to the others, eventually the torque settings become redundant as it will not hold as well as it was engineered to do, again this is only my theory, my other theory is my wife is trying to collect on my life insurance lol, I wouldnt put loctite on the lugs mate, just be vigilant with them & you will be fine

Did I good understand,when you say LSD,that is when i normally drive car without locking back diff...My car is left hand drive.but in practice you have more or less same thing of turns on the right and on the left side.i did loose rear left wheel,but also the wright side was loosen,and front left wheel was also loosen...a day before i was off roading on the snow,it was cold,and wheels were full of snow(discentered)or what is the wright word(steering wheel was shaking).day after it happened...i think that problem is that it is a large diameter of wheel(more stress and vibration),and alloy is much softer than steel,so vibrations shows on connection,between wheel and nuts,and nuts with time loose....

MEGOMONSTER
24th December 2012, 02:40 AM
X 2 always re check tightness of nuts after 50 k, or this will happen.
Nice hose cradle, don't remember seeing that. Lol

Morton
24th December 2012, 04:34 PM

you average left hand turn is tighter that your average right hand turn except when doing U turns, normally performed turning right

Morton
24th December 2012, 04:38 PM
Did I good understand,when you say LSD,that is when i normally drive car without locking back diff...My car is left hand drive.but in practice you have more or less same thing of turns on the right and on the left side.i did loose rear left wheel,but also the wright side was loosen,and front left wheel was also loosen...a day before i was off roading on the snow,it was cold,and wheels were full of snow(discentered)or what is the wright word(steering wheel was shaking).day after it happened...i think that problem is that it is a large diameter of wheel(more stress and vibration),and alloy is much softer than steel,so vibrations shows on connection,between wheel and nuts,and nuts with time loose....

it that case I would be more inclined to think that someone is tampering with the wheel nuts or your mechanic didnt tighten them enough perhaps during the last service, I would run with human error if suddenly 3 wheels are loose IMHO

Rober
25th December 2012, 05:44 AM
it that case I would be more inclined to think that someone is tampering with the wheel nuts or your mechanic didnt tighten them enough perhaps during the last service, I would run with human error if suddenly 3 wheels are loose IMHO

i was at tyre repaire man,changing from summer to winter tyres.they all where tighted on 150Nm.
this is my lost wheel with eaten holes
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/12/52.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/12/53.jpg

new parts
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/12/54.jpg

installed
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/12/55.jpg

tightned at 14Kgs
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/12/56.jpg

i also made new..what is the proper word..hand bars?originals i lost somewhere in bush..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/12/57.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/12/58.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/12/59.jpg

this time red color,so that i see them better,and not forgot 'em

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/12/60.jpg

Morton
25th December 2012, 07:09 PM
bugger x 2

LeroyPatrol
18th May 2013, 09:31 PM
People are saying wheels come loose after 20-50km well my LHR did approx 2000km before parting the vehicle today. There is obviously some kind of issue with it happening to so many people.

..........Leroy

megatexture
19th May 2013, 12:35 AM
Much damage? Who put the nuts on last ?

mudski
19th May 2013, 01:56 PM
Hi Jeff

I have had the problem it came off at 95km
Replace the hubs on the rear it did again left hand rear
Replace the rims seems to be work Unfortunatly I need check the tyres every day
I will never buy a Nissan again going to buying a BT 50 Mazda
Contacted Nissan first time they about
Peter
Pfft! Mazda. They have yet made a real car. Sorry, the old RX series with the Rotary engines were the only decent vehicle they made.
See ya.

threedogs
19th May 2013, 02:25 PM
After having wheels or tyres replaced or worked on You need to RECHECK your wheel nut after say 10 kays
even if you leave 4x4 shop and return 15 min later requesting they re tension nuts up.
You just missed "NATIONAL CHECK YOUR NUTS DAY" but another coming up soon with the track closure.

@ leroy patrol should of checked them well before 2000. mark it in as part of a monthly check list

Country_GU
19th May 2013, 03:24 PM
Patrol wheels should only be torqued to 133Nm. There was a batch of bad ones where the alloy had too many impurities and the nuts would rip straight through. I've only seen it twice but it has been known to happen.

Clunk
19th May 2013, 04:29 PM
From what I've been reading this isn't just limited to Nissan or patrols..... has happened on a wide variety of makes and models, whether on OEM alloys, or after market jobbies

MCCrappatappalot signing in!!!

lussers
5th April 2015, 03:53 AM
Patrol wheels should only be torqued to 133Nm. There was a batch of bad ones where the alloy had too many impurities and the nuts would rip straight through. I've only seen it twice but it has been known to happen.

driving along in my 07 Pathfinder last week, doing 70KPH, rear left wheel parted the vehicle, scary when it happened but no one hurt so that's the main thing.

The alloy had worked its way over the wheel nuts and came off, bit of bodywork damage nothing too serious.

I think whats happened is that the cup type washers that are pressed into the alloy (see pic) have come loose and when wheels have been off for new tyres or servicing these have fell out and not replaced, anyone agree with this?

These cup washers are not meant to come out of the alloy so is this an alloy wheel defect? ~You will see in the pic of the alloy wheel itself the circular holes have all been reemed out to the shape of the wheel nut. When the wheel came off the nuts were left on the studs attached to the brake disc...

seems most people are talking about the rear left wheel coming off, why would this one be more prone to failure?568455684656847

Wizard52
5th April 2015, 10:45 AM
Happened to me as well in 1976 in my first 4X4 a 1969 shorty cruiser after driving 600ks from Brisvagas to Rocky. I had rotated wheels and rear left been done up tight (no torque wrenches in those days) but wheel was up against the raised lip in middle of brake drum and after some time had worked loose and now against the drum had enough play to almost wear through studs.
Rear left wheel gets most of the drive from diff as seen when tyre wears more than any other tyre on vehicle. I have seen explanation but can't remember how or why this happens and was beyond my simple mind.

tracemul7
28th April 2015, 01:27 PM
Hey Folks,

Sorry I haven't read all the posts - but a quick note from me.
Had the rear passenger side wheel come loose at 110 (there's a long thread somewhere on here with regular updates).

From my research, I found that Nissan never lodged an official recall, but they did fit the plastic markers.
The only reason for the wheels to come loose is if they are incorrectly tensioned (wrong order, wrong tension).

So I went back to the place who did our wheel rotation and they (eventually - after raising with Australia-wide manager) replaced the rim and tyre with new ones.

PM me for more info, if you want it :)

Cheers, Trace

jack
28th April 2015, 02:34 PM
You can add another late model GU to the list, not mine but someone I have met before. Lost his left rear wheel about 6 weeks ago, I only just found out but don't know the circumstances.

jm2004
30th April 2015, 07:35 PM
In my case, with a 2013 build GU9 ST, it came with 12 pieces of those plastic markers. 16,000km later I haven't seen any marking moving. I usually check them mid month every month. I've rotated the tyres twice, so the nuts have been undone and redone twice. The tyre shop I visited told me he tightened it to 133 Nm - with rattle gun (I cannot confirm that but I've known him for quite sometime and he usually doesn't tell lies, so I can only presume it was correct).

The vehicle is mostly lightly laden, on road (not off which I wish I can do more often), mostly not at high speed, stock standard rims and tyres. Not sure if that contributes to the situation i.e. they don't seem to come loose.

But, reading all the horror stories, I do try to check them regularly.