PDA

View Full Version : Exaust Brakes GU CRD

JoeG
1st March 2012, 05:43 AM
Hi has any one fitted Exhaust Brakes to a CRD GU with 3"exhaust
Have checked with one major Sydney supplier and they say have to fit a compressor to make them work.
Don't want to have a compressor running all the time just to work the brakes (one more thing to go wrong)
They do however have a 2.5"vacuum operated system but that would be a back wards step.
So any one got any Ideas
Regards

JoeG
1st March 2012, 05:53 AM
Just did a better search on Vacuum operated exhaust brake and came up with a mob in Melbourne who make a kit using a ram and butterfly.
"Gearing-Dynamics"- any one heard of them or tried their product?
Regards
Joe

the evil twin
1st March 2012, 11:02 AM
Was just going to ask why would you bother... then saw where you live.

Be a rare Mod so please keep us all updated if you go down that path (no pun intended)

JoeG
1st March 2012, 09:29 PM
The Melbourne mob have quoted as below now have to stop and think about it as the new brake up grade is apples but pad wear is high- but pads arn't that expensive so will mononitor them for a while and then make the decision
Joe

Dear Joe,
The price of the 3" exhaust brake is $1780.00 inc GST and air bag freight
I am attaching our literature which includes the fitting instructions.
You will require a straight section of exhaust pipe before any cat converter or muffler
Into this 2 flanges are welded to hold the butterfly valve.
The rest is wiring and piping plus attaching the micro switches on the clutch and accelerator.

Regards

Geoff Murray

GEARING DYNAMICS
26 Hume Reserve Court,
North Geelong,
Vic 3215
Australia

nissannewby
7th March 2012, 02:53 PM
I have thought about fitting an exhaust brake to my gq as it would be great for down hill work offroad. If you already have a compressor fitted (eg for an air locker) the system will just need a decent air tank which in the long run will help with everything (pumping up tyres,rattle gun use etc.) I am also interest to see how this turns out keep us posted

bazzad
12th March 2012, 10:11 PM
:biggrin:This is interesting but to be honest I think it would do more harm then good. The sudden stop of flow will cause your turbo to shuttle back and forth and the thrust will cop a battering. Next thing that happens is the impellor is chewing out the housing and its all bad from from there. If its braking you need, upgrade the orignals, there are heaps of options that will give you all the stopping you need. Got to admitt it would sound awesome but

nissannewby
12th March 2012, 10:41 PM
Would have to have a good look at a setup on a truck as these still run a turbo and get a million k's out of a donk there is probably some sort of safeguard in place to prevent this and not to sure about the sudden stop as the turbo would basically be rendered useless at idle

JoeG
13th March 2012, 04:28 AM
Have upgraded to 4.8 spec brakes major improvement but with the vehicle CVM now 3.6T the pad wear is high- hence looking at exhgaust brakes as fitted to all heavy vehicles which all have turbos
Joe

:biggrin:This is interesting but to be honest I think it would do more harm then good. The sudden stop of flow will cause your turbo to shuttle back and forth and the thrust will cop a battering. Next thing that happens is the impellor is chewing out the housing and its all bad from from there. If its braking you need, upgrade the orignals, there are heaps of options that will give you all the stopping you need. Got to admitt it would sound awesome but

Finly Owner
13th March 2012, 10:58 PM
Take a look at this thread, I asked same question, different model.

Tim

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1878-Exhaust-brake

JoeG
14th March 2012, 06:37 AM
Hi Tim
Will check it out
Joe

Tim

JoeG
14th March 2012, 06:38 AM
Hi Tim
Will check it out
Joe

Tim