PDA

View Full Version : Is this a common thing?

Dingo55
1st March 2012, 01:09 AM
Hi All,

The air filter venturi has detached from its mount on the LHF guard. You can see it in the pic. The vehicle was fitted with an ARB snorkel in Mar 2010. Air box mounting is stanard GU and in good condition, but it appears it could be improved with another bracket to steady it better.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue?

cheers

MudRunnerTD
1st March 2012, 01:45 AM
Hey Dingo,

not sure what you did with your pic but i can see it but normally i could blow it up by clicking on it but cant in your case. The image is too small for me to see your problem. try posting the pic again mate.

Cheers MR

04OFF
1st March 2012, 02:33 AM
Looks like it will be where the air intake first enters the engine bay itself, through the inner gaurd panel, if its the same as mine, that part of the pipe has only 2 bolts on one side to retain the pipe, the normal/easy thing to do, is use sealant in that area to prevent leaking, it looks like only gasket goo has been used, Sikaflex would have been a much better and stronger choice.

The problem is, that even with a good dose of Sikaflex, the first time you change the air cleaner element, you can disturb the seal by moving the pipe just a little, when i fitted my snorkel, i also added 2 more bolts with big washers to retain the pipe all the way around (as well as a heap of Sikaflex)

Dingo55
1st March 2012, 08:10 AM
Hey Dingo,

not sure what you did with your pic but i can see it but normally i could blow it up by clicking on it but cant in your case. The image is too small for me to see your problem. try posting the pic again mate.

Cheers MR

Hi MR - thanks, try this pic?

Dingo55
1st March 2012, 08:18 AM
O4OFF - yes it's where the air intake does first enter the engine bay through the inner guard panel. I'll remove the air cleaner container & the detatched face of the inlet venturi, clean both surfaces up & probaby rejoin both with some epoxy & fibreglass, refit & seal around the fitting with some sika, & take your adice on adding the extra bolts etc. Thanks for that.

Was just wondering though if this is a common breakage with GUs?

How's your panel collection exercise going?

cheers

04OFF
1st March 2012, 11:33 AM
I'll remove the air cleaner container & the detatched face of the inlet venturi, clean both surfaces up & probaby rejoin both with some epoxy & fibreglass etc, refit & seal around the fitting with some sika, & take your adice on adding the extra bolts etc. Thanks for that.

Just be carefull with using epoxy & fibreglass, only use if both sides of what you are joining are fixed and dont vibrate, those repairs tend to be brittle, and have very little flex/give, so with the constant vibration and engine movement plus driving, you may end up with fractures and so leaks, as the name suggests, Sikaflex will flex and so resist cracking better, so may be worth looking into for fixing everything, and not just the sealing bit?

Was just wondering though if this is a common breakage with GUs?

Id say its more of a snorkel/install issue rather than a Nissan problem , you are adding something onto the factory air intake mouth, having said that, they should realise snorkels will be added , i guess look at how a factory Nissan snorkel is attached ?

How's your panel collection exercise going?

cheers

I got the s#*ts and bought all genuine stuff, but thanks for asking ,(BTW, ive left my wanted add up as i would still be interested in spares for the future :biggrin:)

Dingo55
16th March 2012, 01:06 AM
I got the s#*ts and bought all genuine stuff, but thanks for asking ,(BTW, ive left my wanted add up as i would still be interested in spares for the future :biggrin:)

How's your rebuilt progressing 04OFF? Lots of sicaflex is part of the solution. Also, fitting a length of silicone tube inside the airbox flange to inside the join in the LH guard, & lost of sicaflex - did I already say that?

cheeers