PDA

View Full Version : Been told I bought a 3Lt hand grenade, want to prove em wrong!

Alburypete
27th February 2012, 06:35 PM
Hi All, advised by toyota driving "mates" not to buy '05 3lt Patrol, "cos you can't stop them blowing up".
Bought the Patrol anyway and love it. Is there anything I should do or add to ensure they don't have the last laugh? Any advice would be appreciated as I'm a Hi tech (read post 1990 technology) new bee.

Thanks
Pete.

growler2058
27th February 2012, 07:40 PM
Search for doing the NADS there is shiploads of info here and youll blow your toymota mates away

boots
27th February 2012, 07:44 PM
Hi pete , if you type in grenade in the search option box you should find plenty of posts to read and info on this topic . should keep you buisy for a bit .

growler2058
27th February 2012, 07:59 PM
Or send a PM to Chaz or Snicko and theyll lead you astray i mean in the right direction

holden4th
28th February 2012, 09:54 PM
The 05 model is well past the 'grenade' stage which basically ended after the GUII. Your 05 will be a GUIV and not a hand grenade

Bigrig
28th February 2012, 09:57 PM
The 05 model is well past the 'grenade' stage which basically ended after the GUII. Your 05 will be a GUIV and not a hand grenade

x2 - they'd ironed out the problems by that model (2000-2002/3 I thought was the problematic ones??).

macca86
28th February 2012, 09:57 PM
just tell your mates you would blow your diff gear box or cv's when it get tough like they do and when you pull them out

Chaz
4th March 2012, 08:51 AM
Don’t kid yourselves that Nissan fixed the problem on the later Di models. While we see lower numbers of 05 and 06 models with piston failures, there have been a few and we’ve seen a few cracked heads and pump failures with them also. They have a slightly smarter ECU, but still run high levels boost and EGR. Personally, I’m not convinced that they fixed anything up to the CRD, which seems to be much more reliable with its cooled EGR, improved fuel system, ECU and cylinder head design.

Have a read of THIS (http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/zd30_engine_problems.htm) if you’re keen to prolong the life of a Di, providing it’s not too late.

Lewy
4th March 2012, 09:39 AM
My Mates dad has a 07 3.0 and number 3 cylinder had the pin pulled a few weeks ago and went bang!!!! It only had 106,000km on it... Me I wouldn't trust any of the crappy little 3litters at all.. Even Nissan dont like to say the problem has been fixed as deep down they are not to sure what the problem is...

I just rang my mate and he says its a late 06.. Completely standard.. Tows a small van 1500kg but popped wile not towing.. bloody 3litters...

Rumcajs
4th March 2012, 06:41 PM
While I don't know for sure, I suspect that CrD models also have better pistons than Di unit simply by matter of using different fuel system which has much higher injection pressures thereby requiring beefed up pistons and other components. So I fully support Chaz's opinion/statement in this case, any Di model can/will/hopefully not expire it is just a matter of time/distance traveled, especially if any towing is involved.
Most of us with these grenades are just hoping that this issue will by pass somehow. Early CrD aren't without their share of problems like snapping bolts on oil pumps.......
It is a shame that Nissan just couldn't/wouldn't make a decent Diesel engine.
Cheers

BearGUST
4th March 2012, 06:57 PM
Engines blow up, as soon as people think they are a problem every single case is known. I've heard of just as many blown 1HZ's but they don't have the same reputation... I worked in technical assistance for Holden and heard of every 4JX1 (Jackaroo 3.0 TD) failure, but after speaking to plenty of people with them - they love them!
At the end of the day they are a smaller engine in a big car, it's working hard so won't last along as a larger capacity engine doing the same job.
Get used to it, small, high boosted engines will become far more common in the future.

Snapperman
6th March 2012, 02:37 PM
hey holden4th,tell me more about GUII's being grenades please.I have a 2002 model.TAR

holden4th
6th March 2012, 09:36 PM
hey holden4th,tell me more about GUII's being grenades please.I have a 2002 model.TAR

When I researched buying a Patrol, everything I read suggested that any ZD30 up until 2002 was potential problem for the motor going bang. With that in mind I went for a later model. That said, I got the impression that many of the grenades went bang as a result of towing big loads. I've also read about many owners who have not had to repair/replace the donk and are very happy with their ZD30. I love my GUIV and hope that it doesn't make me eat my words. I also hope that your GUII just keeps on keeping on.

FullFlxd
8th March 2012, 01:40 PM
It's starting to sound like the rest of things you buy. The misus and I had a prob with washing machine and also wanted to buy a TV, did a bit of research and found almost 50/50 on certain models. Offcourse there were some that just straight up sucked, full of bad reviews. Just choose one you like and suits you and hope you got value and reliability heheheh.

I love my GU. So far no worries bar the TPS and Uni joints that went after 16,000k's. If it dies then I'll worry about it then.

It's all good everything turns into luck of the draw.

Bought a Ariston 8kg front loader machine for $1000 got it home opened it up and was mouldy and wet inside the drum. Trying to get money back and all they want to do is exchange.

Sir Roofy
8th March 2012, 05:32 PM
it's starting to sound like the rest of things you buy. The misus and i had a prob with washing machine and also wanted to buy a tv, did a bit of research and found almost 50/50 on certain models. Offcourse there were some that just straight up sucked, full of bad reviews. Just choose one you like and suits you and hope you got value and reliability heheheh.

I love my gu. So far no worries bar the tps and uni joints that went after 16,000k's. If it dies then i'll worry about it then.

It's all good everything turns into luck of the draw.

Bought a ariston 8kg front loader machine for $1000 got it home opened it up and was mouldy and wet inside the drum. Trying to get money back and all they want to do is exchange.

i tend to agree with what you say,yes the zd30,s have there share of problems
but so does every other model you just dont hear so much about it

the evil twin
8th March 2012, 05:54 PM
Agree totally... one of our work utes crapped itself the other day 2009 Ford Ranger, 101,000 K's, blew a head gasket. Fully maintained by Fool errr Ford since new and biggest load it carried was about 600 KG about 8 times a year. mech's knew what was wrong as soon as we rang 'em as it was "yet another one"...

Alburypete
8th March 2012, 11:01 PM
holden4th,
I'm with you mate. bought a GUIV and am prepared to take the good with any unexpected bad . You pay your money and take your chances. But while I'm driving it I feel like a winner, love the Patrol.

thewarrens
9th March 2012, 10:19 AM
I am thinking the same, I did research into all the NADS stuff and have seen some cars go bang with it all installed go figure? can/does it help I am sure but I also say any car/bike/mower/tractor or anything else with a motor could go bang? so I say F'it and just enjoy it. I have a mate that has a 04 GU full loaded (and prob a little over) and has put 300+ on it with nothing but a broken rear sway bar? from and Cape York Trip. So I say if it goes bang then so be it... I will be pissed and I will get it repaired but I would sooner drive my GU than a Toyota

My 2 cents.

taslucas
9th March 2012, 11:02 AM
TB42, 416550kms......going strong......nuff said!

Lucas

scotty83
9th March 2012, 12:56 PM
I have an 05 GUIV. Love it. I have done most of the nads steps just because. I have a Mate with a 2000 GU 3l who hasn't had any dramas pulling large trailers/vans and beach driving. Think it comes down to good and bad luck.

outbackjack
12th March 2012, 12:07 AM
Agree with all the above, but as long as NADS is installed, you should be ok