PDA

View Full Version : 2001 GU II 3ltr.. how well do they tow?

Big Nog
23rd February 2012, 09:00 PM
Give us some feedback, thoughts, opinions?? I used to own a landcruiser and hoping the patrol is the same, if not better.

Silver
23rd February 2012, 09:26 PM
quite well, on the end of a snatch strap behind a GQ :-).

Sorry, haven't yet moved up to a GU, so can't answer your question BigNog.

AB
23rd February 2012, 09:27 PM
My friends 3ltr seems to tow the horse float ok with only one horse but I'm not sure how it would go with more weight and on the hills however as she only drives it a few km's down to another horse yard.

What are you wanting to tow with it?

Hopefully someone with a 3ltr can offer better advice...lol

NissanGQ4.2
23rd February 2012, 09:29 PM

hahahahahahahaha X 2 GQ's all the way and no plan on changing :)

boots
25th February 2012, 05:31 PM
owning a gu with a 3lt and recently fitting pyro and turbo boost gauges to it , I would be very cautious about towing unless these are done as a minimum . the 3lt are prone to grenading and towing will only enhance the situation . JMO . plenty of info on this site to point you in the right direction to sort it out but .

Bigrig
25th February 2012, 05:37 PM

Classic Rick!!!! lmao. Well caught!!!

Bignog, my old man tows a 26' caravan around the country behind his and loves it - he's not overly fussed on time taken to get somewhere though (Takes about 4-5 months every year and heads off round Aus). Can't say he's ever had any issue with it outside of standard maintenance.

Maxhead
25th February 2012, 05:41 PM

Quite correct. Moved UP to a GU....lololololo

Sorry OP, the 3.0l wont have a problem towing at all

teleman
27th February 2012, 12:26 PM
I have this exact model. Its awesome. Tows better than my step dads XR8. lol.
I have a 2" lift as well which means the tow ball can handle a bit more weight up front. It can tow anything. I took my cousins trailer to one of his sites last week (big tandem) had well over 2 tonne and the trol just ate it up. :)

Sir Roofy
27th February 2012, 12:58 PM
owning a gu with a 3lt and recently fitting pyro and turbo boost gauges to it , I would be very cautious about towing unless these are done as a minimum . the 3lt are prone to grenading and towing will only enhance the situation . JMO . plenty of info on this site to point you in the right direction to sort it out but .

x2 on this ive done the mods also done a run 300ks above sydney and back well over 2000ks return to traf
without a trailer but thinking it needs more work done ,had a good run though all temps where ok

Big Nog
29th February 2012, 06:09 PM
thanks for all the info.. haven't been around for a few days, the mrs had a baby and we just bought her home yesterday :thumbup:

If I ever need a tow I'll know who to call...........................

Sir Roofy
29th February 2012, 08:03 PM
thanks for all the info.. Haven't been around for a few days, the mrs had a baby and we just bought her home yesterday :thumbup:

If i ever need a tow i'll know who to call...........................

congrats on the new arrival hope all goes well for you

Bigrig
29th February 2012, 09:11 PM
thanks for all the info.. haven't been around for a few days, the mrs had a baby and we just bought her home yesterday :thumbup:

If I ever need a tow I'll know who to call...........................

Hey hey!!!! Congratulations mate!!

It's yours right??? LMFAO ...

Just jokes fella, seriously awesome news - boy, girl, name, first kid, second etc, have you bought them their first patrol?? You know, all the questions that need to be answered!!! lol

Hope mum, dad and bub all doing well mate!!!

FrankW
2nd March 2012, 09:14 AM
Hi, I have been towing a tandem caravan, jayco Westport, about 2300kgs for the last three years with the patrol. Always tow in direct not overdrive. Some of the big hills slow it up a bit, but I am not in a hurry anyhow.
Until end of last year had no dramas.

boots
2nd March 2012, 05:16 PM
Top news Big Nog on the birth of your child , hope all is well in your camp .

Big Nog
2nd March 2012, 09:33 PM
i hope she's mine!! This is my first little one... it's a girl and her name is Eden.. starting up a trust fund to get her first Patrol for when she turns 18.. anyone want to contribrute????? lol