PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Hilift Jack

taslucas
22nd February 2012, 09:02 PM
Im after some ideas on mounting my Hilift jack on a GQ wagon? I think the most common are on the spare wheel, on a roofrack, or on the bullbar.
Show us how you mount your Jack!! lol
:clownredpuff:

Cheers

wildgu6
22nd February 2012, 09:07 PM
Tas mate, that's pretty much it I think for mounting points, and I read your post as where to mount your winch ??? Did you meen hi lift jack ???

wildgu6
22nd February 2012, 09:07 PM
By the way, I don't have either hahaha

taslucas
22nd February 2012, 09:12 PM
Tas mate, that's pretty much it I think for mounting points, and I read your post as where to mount your winch ??? Did you meen hi lift jack ???

Hahahaha yes that is what i ment!! oops picked up a couple of cans on the way home!!

taslucas
22nd February 2012, 09:16 PM

Yeah im just putting the question out there to see how creative people have got. Like, has anyone put one inside the back?

taslucas
22nd February 2012, 09:19 PM
Heres a few pics i found online....

wildgu6
22nd February 2012, 10:01 PM
Hahahaha yes that is what i ment!! oops picked up a couple of cans on the way home!!

Good stuff mate, enjoy. Nice idea on the cargo barrier aye.

wildgu6
22nd February 2012, 10:09 PM
By the way mate, just noticed.
Your a FrEaK...Congrat's buddy 1000
Keep em comin fella

:drunk::groupwave::Yahoo!::eck05::blowup::sterb003 ::animierte-smilies-t:049::bowdown::thumbup:

DX grunt
22nd February 2012, 10:21 PM
By the way mate, just noticed.
Your a FrEaK...Congrat's buddy 1000
Keep em comin fella

:drunk::groupwave::Yahoo!::eck05::blowup::sterb003 ::animierte-smilies-t:049::bowdown::thumbup:

Well done, Tassie

Take care out there.

Rossco

iht2670
22nd February 2012, 10:29 PM
Under the back seat but you have to take the foot off.

Steve.

taslucas
23rd February 2012, 10:31 PM
I found this site: http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/index.html
Its got some handy Hi Lift accesories

Clunk
23rd February 2012, 11:22 PM
Nice find Lucas and congrats on the 1000 posts of waffle mate!!!!!! Hahahahaha

taslucas
24th February 2012, 07:51 AM
Nice find Lucas and congrats on the 1000 posts of waffle mate!!!!!! Hahahahaha

Thanks mate, I got to 1000 without getting bitten!!

wildgu6
24th February 2012, 08:04 AM
Handy little link Tas, Cheers for that mate.
Be a good one to post in useful websites library. Have a good day buddy

Dirtydog16
26th February 2012, 12:48 AM
You could try the old army land rover style and bolt it to your bonnet and while you are there, whack on an axe and a pick and you will be set!

taslucas
28th February 2012, 06:51 PM
You could try the old army land rover style and bolt it to your bonnet and while you are there, whack on an axe and a pick and you will be set!

The damn bonnets are heavy enough already!! lol but thanks for more ideas..

oncedisturbed
29th February 2012, 02:50 AM

I don't think it legal for them to go on these unless the vehicles came with that option

another option is look the quik fist clamps that the firies use, had some on my BT50 for the shovel and they worked a treat and you can get them in various sizes and most 4wd accessory shops are stocking them
http://www.firetrader.com.au/category2_1.htm

taslucas
29th February 2012, 08:11 PM
I don't think it legal for them to go on these unless the vehicles came with that option

another option is look the quik fist clamps that the firies use, had some on my BT50 for the shovel and they worked a treat and you can get them in various sizes and most 4wd accessory shops are stocking them
http://www.firetrader.com.au/category2_1.htm

Thanks mate, nice link. You could use those things for anything and everywhere.

oncedisturbed
1st March 2012, 07:07 AM
yup, will be getting some more once I get the troll back from ARB when I return from Bali and will be mounting gear on the safety barrier with them, fire extiguisher, axe etc

Johan Safari
1st March 2012, 08:52 AM
Had mine mounted mine under the bonnet against the firewall across the engine with a few brackets. Always clean, safe and out of the way. Only problem was that on a hot day you needed gloves to remove it. Will see if I can find any pics if anybody interested.

taslucas
1st March 2012, 09:50 AM
Had mine mounted mine under the bonnet against the firewall across the engine with a few brackets. Always clean, safe and out of the way. Only problem was that on a hot day you needed gloves to remove it. Will see if I can find any pics if anybody interested.

Yeah pics would be good:) I'd like to see how you made it fit. I've got a heap of stuff in the way there

Lucas

Johan Safari
1st March 2012, 12:40 PM
On my current GQ with EFI and LPG there is just not enough space, to much crap stuck on the firewall and everywhere else for that matter. Will try and find a picture on my PC at home tonight.

jash
3rd March 2012, 11:42 PM
Like the barrier mount!

Johan Safari
4th March 2012, 09:11 PM
Sorry I don't have close up or higher res pictures. They where taken a loooong time ago!

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd402/Johanliebs/Patrol%20mods/movablecoldairsnorkel.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd402/Johanliebs/Patrol%20mods/newmaximabrakebooster-notehightliftjackmountsattachedtoclutchreservior.j pg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd402/Johanliebs/Patrol%20mods/relocatedcoilattachedtofirewallbehindjack-staysdry.jpg

taslucas
6th March 2012, 07:51 AM
Thats a good idea. But, yeah as you said, not much room in a GQ

Robo
12th March 2012, 11:46 AM
The fella that Mtd it to cargo barrier did a very nice job and it looks tops.
Only problem is, it has to be on front of cargo barrier as he put it.
If ya Mt on other side and go away on a trip it will probably be buried by all the gear.
Not a very convenient place that's why most people Mt them in a easy to reach position.
You don't want to be removing your gear in a inconvenient place either.

bordertech
17th March 2012, 12:25 AM
I integrated support mounts for the hi lift into my roof rack when I built it.

Silver
17th March 2012, 12:57 AM
I like to see roof rack mounted stuff very firmly attached in case the vehicle comes to a sudden stop, and the jack or other roof load continues on.

the ferret
17th March 2012, 01:04 AM
An extra 14kg on the spare will take it's toll on the Barn door, a 33 weighs 35kgs.'
If you do buy a bracket for the spare, stay away from the alloy ones on fleebay (crap)
Stick it on the roof rack or bull bar or somewhere else.
Cheers, the ferret.

taslucas
17th March 2012, 11:38 AM
I dont have a roofrack atm so just thinking about other places. I might be getting a mate to make a custom bullbar so im thinking i might be able to intergrate into that. hmmm...

bordertech
17th March 2012, 04:38 PM
I like to see roof rack mounted stuff very firmly attached in case the vehicle comes to a sudden stop, and the jack or other roof load continues on.Did 4000kms on rough roads in the middle of the outback with that load, also playing on some dunes. Nothing came adrift. It's an all aluminium rack too. The Hi Lift sits on built in rests and is held on with two captive bolts and nylocs.
Cheers, Dave

Silver
17th March 2012, 05:25 PM
that's a great result, Bordertech.

I tried to add up the weight on your rack, assuming the jerries were full, and stopped :-)

I thought from the photos yours was across the back of the rack. First time I've seen that, and the whole set up looked pretty tidy.

Others I have seen have been commercial looking setups with a shovel down one side and jack on the other. I guess those are adequately tested too.

One thing that really makes me shake my head is a 9kg LPG bottle up on the roof 'secured' with an occy strap. Only seen it twice, happily.

What I had in mind was someone with say, my welding skills, having a go at mounting one on a steel rack

Oversize
27th March 2012, 08:57 AM
Oh the days when you could fit 'extras' under the bonnet. I just fitted a second battery etc under my bonnet and I spent and hour trying different locations just to find room for the power isolator and make sure the bonnet would close!

Winnie
27th March 2012, 09:28 AM
Took me a while to find a place to mount the airhorn under my bonnet and it's only pretty small.

Micktroll
28th March 2012, 12:24 PM
How have people gone about putting it on the spare wheel carrier?
Cheers
Mick

Micktroll
30th March 2012, 05:37 PM
im thinking of putting mine on the spare wheel...but at the same time i wanna get roof racks...so if i end up getting them i shall put it on the roof....

at the 4wd and tinnie and tackle show on the weekend just gone i purchased the 15 issue subscription of 4wd action and scored the free highlift jack :) score :P

bordertech
31st March 2012, 12:36 AM
that's a great result, Bordertech.

I tried to add up the weight on your rack, assuming the jerries were full, and stopped :-)

I thought from the photos yours was across the back of the rack. First time I've seen that, and the whole set up looked pretty tidy.

Others I have seen have been commercial looking setups with a shovel down one side and jack on the other. I guess those are adequately tested too.

One thing that really makes me shake my head is a 9kg LPG bottle up on the roof 'secured' with an occy strap. Only seen it twice, happily.

What I had in mind was someone with say, my welding skills, having a go at mounting one on a steel rackMy gas bottle was camlock strapped trust me. I hate occy straps full stop.
Was about 250kg up there Silver. Dont ask what else either lol but to give you an idea - 240lts water, 210lts diesel, spares, 2 fridges, drawers full, food etc for 10 days for 3 adults. We were the support crew for one of the mountain bike riders in last years Simpson Desert Bike Challenge so we had our riders gear as well.

With a bit of thought and some skills you could make yourself some pretty sturdy stuff. I put my hi lift on the back 1) to keep the heavy weight off the side of the roof, 2) It's a lot easier to get it off the back when you have 6" lift and 35's.
Cheers, Dave

the ferret
31st March 2012, 12:45 AM
im thinking of putting mine on the spare wheel...but at the same time i wanna get roof racks...so if i end up getting them i shall put it on the roof....

at the 4wd and tinnie and tackle show on the weekend just gone i purchased the 15 issue subscription of 4wd action and scored the free highlift jack :) score :P

14 Kgs of jack+ 35kgs of spare wheel, not a good thing to be hang'n on the barn door, trust me.
Cheers, the ferret.

taslucas
31st March 2012, 12:26 PM
14 Kgs of jack+ 35kgs of spare wheel, not a good thing to be hang'n on the barn door, trust me.
Cheers, the ferret.

maybe its time for an aftermarket heavy duty hinge system desinged and built by the ferret? Would be a good seller i reckon

the ferret
31st March 2012, 12:48 PM
maybe its time for an aftermarket heavy duty hinge system desinged and built by the ferret? Would be a good seller i reckon

ha ha Mate, cheers.
The problem is not so much the hinges but the extra weight causes the door skin to crack, mainly the GUs, as you would have the spare, the mounting bracket and the jack.
Put all that weight together on rough roads and you're bound to get cracks.
Cheers, the ferret.

bordertech
31st March 2012, 10:08 PM
They crack in the centre of the left hand side because of slamming it shut too. There is nothing to support the middle of the door when the top and bottom latches hit hard. There is a natural tendency to slam it when when the latches or hinges are wearing out too. Extra weight on the door makes it a bit worse. GQ's doors are a bit stronger than GU's as well.

Brendan56
3rd April 2012, 11:14 PM
where would you mount it on the bullbar? behind the bars or something?

the ferret
3rd April 2012, 11:29 PM
where would you mount it on the bullbar? behind the bars or something?

I've seen em on bullbars, surfboard racks, on the bonnet, and even mounted to the towball hitch.
Cheers, the ferret.

Brendan56
3rd April 2012, 11:31 PM
I think a well made bracket on the bonnet would look pretty schmick.

MB
17th June 2022, 10:52 PM
Hammer Drill-Masonry Anchor/Mount one of them to your shed floor [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprock
21st June 2022, 12:16 AM
Haha MB opening up an old thread 10yrs later 🤣

MB
21st June 2022, 12:31 AM
You’re as bored as I Brother [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk