PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum - GU 4.2 wagon

davejones
21st February 2012, 09:34 AM
Hi all,

Great site. Lots of useful info.

I've got a GU IV 4.2 wagon which we use for stacks of touring. I kitted it all out myself after spending months searching to find one in 2007.

We live in Victorian 4wd heaven - East Gippsland.

Current project is replacing stuff that nearly broke on the Gibb River Rd last year that is slowly revealing itself - eg Black Widow drawer & fridge slide locks that must have nearly fatigued but took a weekend in the high country to actually break...

Also looking at changing over to an aftermarket central locking unit to get more range from remotes.

Dave

Sir Roofy
21st February 2012, 09:39 AM
Welcome aboard dave so what improvements do you think the blackwidow system would need
enjoy your stay mate

davejones
21st February 2012, 09:47 AM
Well the bits that broke were the locking pin on the fridge slide right at the cabinet wall slide junction & the diecast lock pin on the paddle latch, but only on the heavier drawer that had all the tools in it. Though I might drill the rivets out for a look at the pantry drawer lock anyway.

I've ordered a replacement from Black Widow - bit dearer than eBay but I know for certain it will fit.

I'll make a new pin for the fridge latch. Just got to get the side wing off.

Dave

wildgu6
21st February 2012, 09:48 AM
Hey Dave welcome aboard mate
Great lot here with tons of advice, adventures and experiences.
Hang around and Join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

Tweakedoffroad
21st February 2012, 09:56 AM
Hey mate welcome aboard should take some pics along the way of your repair may come handy for others

Sir Roofy
21st February 2012, 09:58 AM
well the bits that broke were the locking pin on the fridge slide right at the cabinet wall slide junction & the diecast lock pin on the paddle latch, but only on the heavier drawer that had all the tools in it. Though i might drill the rivets out for a look at the pantry drawer lock anyway.

I've ordered a replacement from black widow - bit dearer than ebay but i know for certain it will fit.

I'll make a new pin for the fridge latch. Just got to get the side wing off.

Dave

you shaw tested them out then not as strong as first thought aye

belzi82
21st February 2012, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the forum.
Do you head out 4wding up your way much??

AB
21st February 2012, 10:24 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

davejones
21st February 2012, 10:56 AM
Did a 750km lap on the weekend. Home to Tom Groggin via Benambra. Day trip Saturday - Davies Plain, Buckwong Ck, Mt Gibbo, Mt Pinnibar & back to Tom Groggin Stn. Home via Barry Way (replacing an 80 series front wheel bearing en route). Great weekend.

Speedweek & Maralinga planned for March, then maybe duck up to Mt Dare for a few weeks in June.

Dave

oncedisturbed
21st February 2012, 10:56 AM
Welcome to the forum

growler2058
21st February 2012, 10:58 AM
Gday Dave welcome aboard mate gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Rip'n'Shred
21st February 2012, 12:06 PM
Welcome aboard mate, sound like you get out often. Well done.

davejones
21st February 2012, 05:07 PM
Fixed the fridge catch for those who are interested. It's got a design flaw in my opinion. They've machined a slot in the locking pin for a circlip to hold the spring.

It was more of a job to remove the wing panel on mine as I'd modified mine to brace it up after I fitted power plugs and airbag lines and made the fridge cage & secured it off this panel. As a result I had to remove the fridge slide & draw to get the wing panel off.

Once I got the catch off it was a 5 minute fix. I put the spring back in, lined it up in the frame that holds it (looks like half a hinge) and welded it back together. Now the weld holds the spring.

Not that I'm likely to need to but I welded the heads on the screws that hold it in to the wing panel frame, just a tack to lock them up. That way if I ever need to in future I can remove the lock pin mechanism from inside the wing compartment without needing to remove the rear carpeted panel to access the screw heads.

Pic order (not in order of work - sorry)
1 2
3 4
5 6

Pic 1 - tacked screw heads before cold gal
Pic 2 - all fixed
Pic 3 - pin ready to weld
Pic's 4 & 5 - easy to see why this broke on the Gibb River Rd. Corrugations .... weak point.. Duh.
Pic 6 - panel finally off
Pic 7 - Brace that meant a bit more work, unless I cut it & rewelded it. Tempted but didn't.

Dave

Dhuck
21st February 2012, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Maxhead
21st February 2012, 07:05 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

Clunk
22nd February 2012, 12:43 AM
g'day Dave and welcome aboard mate

Finly Owner
4th March 2012, 01:23 AM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Dave

Tim

timbar
4th March 2012, 03:13 AM
G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim