PDA

View Full Version : Coolant colour

DX grunt
18th February 2012, 07:51 PM
Hey all.

Just need a bit of advice about the colour of coolant water.

Less than 2 years ago, I had a radiator service and a full flush and fluid replacement.

The new coolant they put in, I hope, was red and not rusty brown.

In the mechanic's report it says there was 'evidence of old coolant'

It hasn't had a mud bath or been anywhere exciting since the coolant was last replaced.

Is red coolant less than 2 years old considered 'old'?

I think I'll use the green stuff next time.

Rossco

Ben-e-boy
18th February 2012, 08:03 PM
mate a coolant change is every 40,000. Most coolants are green, the coolant in my bike is blue, I think I have seen red coolant,

DX grunt
18th February 2012, 08:07 PM
mate a coolant change is every 40,000. Most coolants are green, the coolant in my bike is blue, I think I have seen red coolant,

Thanks Ben.

From memory, that would be about right then.

Rossco

scotty83
18th February 2012, 08:43 PM
most of the newer coolants last up to 5 years. there are differnet types on coolants for different engines. the colour means some difference in chemical makeup. sorry i can't remember the difference. a trip to your local supercheap\autostore will sort it out for you though. I think the nissan desiel spec one is green. Most toyota take the red. This may also vary between brands. I am trying to find more info for this thread

Red Coolant (Organic Additive Technology): http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Cooling_Systems/Red_Long_Life_Concentrated_Coolant/#.Tz96QbR62So

Green Coolant (Hybrid Additive Technology): http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Cooling_Systems/Long_Life_Concentrated_Coolant/#.Tz96jrR62So

MC97GQ
18th February 2012, 11:41 PM
Not sure about the chemical make up, but I know Nulon make red(pinky red) and green coolant.

When I did the full flush on my cooling system the local auto shop recommended the green for a diesel.

Mark

Sorry scotty83 should have read your post more thoroughly as you covered what I said.

aaron
19th February 2012, 01:20 PM
thort red was for alloy block and head --- why the green is for cast block with cast or alloy head ?

taslucas
19th February 2012, 01:36 PM
thort red was for alloy block and head --- why the green is for cast block with cast or alloy head ?

The coolant for the ecotech commondoors is green. They have alloy heads.

They should have a little book hanging off the shelf where you buy the coolant, that has all the specs etc

04OFF
19th February 2012, 03:47 PM
The coolant for the ecotech commondoors is green. They have alloy heads.

Correct, i use the same green coolant in alloy headed engines.

I always thought Red was long life coolant (up to 5 years) Green was standard life (up to 2 years) , but i guess its just colouring at the end of the day and means little, ive also seen green auto transmission fluid, and purple engine oil.

iht2670
19th February 2012, 09:31 PM
Coolant test strips are available from Repco or Bursons, most compotent garages check coolant when doing a service.

Steve.