PDA

View Full Version : Victorian Vehicle Certification Requirements relaxed for 4WD owners

NissanGQ4.2
17th February 2012, 09:45 PM
Interesting read for all the Vic members.

Victorian Vehicle Certification Requirements relaxed for 4WD owners

Category: LATEST NEWS
The Australian 4WD Industry Council (a Division of the Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association) has been working over many years with State Transport Departments to change Regulation to make it easier for 4WD owners to perform minor modifications to their vehicles to improve handling and safety.

Late 2011, VicRoads released their Guide to Modification for Motor Vehicles Vehicle Standards Information Sheet No 8, which allows ‘Owner Certification’ for ride height increases for 4WD vehicles that would have required "Engineering Certification" under the National Guidelines for vehicle modification.

VicRoads' new VSI 8 regulation permits "Owner Certified" 4WD ride height increases up to 75mm, with 50mm maximum allowed for suspension lift, plus a 25mm increase resulting from fitment of a tyre with 50mm greater outside diameter, provided the modifications are undertaken using a commercially available lift kit that has been specially designed and tested for the vehicle application. Under the national guidelines, 'Owner Certified' lifts are limited to 50mm.

VSI 8 eliminates confusion that previously existed about allowable changes with suspension and / or tyre size. And now 4WD owners do not need to waste time and money on securing an engineering certification to make minor modifications to improve the safety and off road performance of their vehicle.

VSI 08 also addresses the matter of vehicle modifications where the vehicle is fitted with Electronic Stability Control. Electronic Stability Control (ESC) will be a mandated technology on all vehicles sold in Australia from 2013 onwards.

A copy of VSI 08 can be downloaded from the link: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/9B3A858D-15A0-4572-90BF-3D08214BF7BE/0/VSInumber8Guidetomodificationsformotorvehicles.pdf .

A copy of VSB14 can be downloaded from the link: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

The 4WD Industry Council strongly encourages owners to purchase vehicle modification products from reputable suppliers.

PRESS RELEASE – February 17th, 2012

http://www.mr4x4.com.au/index.php/latest-news

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/9B3A858D-15A0-4572-90BF-3D08214BF7BE/0/VSInumber8Guidetomodificationsformotorvehicles.pdf

AB
17th February 2012, 10:24 PM
Victoria....The place to be...LMAO

madchris
19th February 2012, 11:16 AM
so after reading this im still a little confused do we nead a engineers to give our gq a 6 inch lift and if so dose anybody have an eider roughly what this will cost ??? sorry im bit slow on all this lol

tusman
19th February 2012, 12:15 PM
thanks mate very handy info

NissanGQ4.2
19th February 2012, 05:00 PM
so after reading this im still a little confused do we nead a engineers to give our gq a 6 inch lift and if so dose anybody have an eider roughly what this will cost ??? sorry im bit slow on all this lol

'Owner Certified' lifts are limited to 50mm, so yes it will need 2 be engineered. Not sure on cost but a QLD member just got his certified with lift for about 100 bucks, really depends I guess on how many and what type of mods you are getting engineered as 2 what cost its going 2 be.

AndyExy
24th May 2012, 10:57 PM
So if Victoria has relaxed our guidelines to allow up to 75mm lift without an engineering certificate, what happens when a Victorian vehicle goes touring interstate?
If that vehicle has been raised above 50mm, is there a risk that it will be fined or pulled off the road by police / state authority because it exceeds requirements in their jurisdiction?
andyp

NissanGQ4.2
31st May 2012, 07:55 PM
So if Victoria has relaxed our guidelines to allow up to 75mm lift without an engineering certificate, what happens when a Victorian vehicle goes touring interstate?
If that vehicle has been raised above 50mm, is there a risk that it will be fined or pulled off the road by police / state authority because it exceeds requirements in their jurisdiction?
andyp

Yep, what is legal in 1 state and not in another you will get find for if they want 2 enforce there rules and regs on you. Hence why there needs 2 be a national code.

AndyExy
1st June 2012, 08:43 AM
Yep, what is legal in 1 state and not in another you will get find for if they want 2 enforce there rules and regs on you. Hence why there needs 2 be a national code.

I'm guessing that the "engineering certificate" is the VASS signatory certificate?
Or is it another one again?
Are Victorian VASS or whatever certificates recognised and accepted interstate?

Stropp
1st June 2012, 10:53 AM
as far as wa goes i have been told if a vehicle is bought from interstate and has a engineering certificate they would honour it here, eg v8 engine swap with a certificate.

big_fletch
2nd June 2012, 03:39 PM
Nice of them to do that down here is Sunny Vic bahahaha

mad66
23rd November 2017, 09:41 PM
I realise this is a very old post but it needs to be updated, As far as I can see according to (vsb 14) 50mm is all you can go and that includes tyres. so a 2" lift with 33's would make it illegel. the roof must not exceed a raise of more than 50mm.

MudRunnerTD
23rd November 2017, 10:37 PM
I realise this is a very old post but it needs to be updated, As far as I can see according to (vsb 14) 50mm is all you can go and that includes tyres. so a 2" lift with 33's would make it illegel. the roof must not exceed a raise of more than 50mm.

Not so.

Please review the VSI 08 in the link below. Specifically section 13.3 on the bottom of Page 6 and All for page 7.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/~/media/files/documents/safety-and-road-rules/vsinumber8guidetomodificationsformotorvehicles.pdf ?la=en

mudski
23rd November 2017, 11:09 PM

Nah 75mm in total lift is allowed. This includes a maximum of 50mm for suspension.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?36512-Vehicle-Engineers-reports-4WD-Modification-rules-whats-allowed-what-not

mad66
24th November 2017, 03:56 PM
Thanks, guys I stand corrected. And good to know. Now to convince my stubborn mate .lol