PDA

View Full Version : gu rd28 to td42 conversion

lesmccann
17th February 2012, 09:32 PM
hi all just swapped my old gq for a 98 gu factory rd28 with no motor i have learned that i need to replace the box have done this fitting up my transfer to the new box have cut the old chasis mounts off just gotta line up the new ones and weld them in just wondering if anyone had don this before and could give me a few bits of information, firstly i have changed the box but have been advides that there is a need to replace the gearbox crossmember for a gu td42 one not sure of this and i also need the wiring colour codes for engine bay as the engine was already gone from the wagon before i got it son not sure where everything goes any help would be great

lesmccann
11th June 2012, 02:04 PM
So it's been a while but I've finally got the engine in the truck things to note that you do indeed need the gearbox and bell housing from a 4.2 and the gearbox crossmember as the rd one will fit but sits the box back prob about 30mm to far back and the exh manifold won't fit up so after changing that I bolted the engine mounts to the motor sat it in and bolted it to the box and went to town with the welder, was lucky enough to sit a factory td next to it after and all looks factory so that's the bulk of it done found that the alternator harness has an extension so I removed that and just had to put the plug for the alt on where I cut it to easy but and had to change the out side of the fuel filter housing as the hose was slightly different in size got the vac lines of a gq as my engine is the older one with the vac pump on the back of the alt but easy enough to fit up only other thing to note at this point is that you need the drive shafts from a td as the location move of the box stretches the back out heaps and bottoms the front out even with 4in of lift

Mike_1
25th October 2013, 12:07 AM
So it's been a while but I've finally got the engine in the truck things to note that you do indeed need the gearbox and bell housing from a 4.2 and the gearbox crossmember as the rd one will fit but sits the box back prob about 30mm to far back and the exh manifold won't fit up so after changing that I bolted the engine mounts to the motor sat it in and bolted it to the box and went to town with the welder, was lucky enough to sit a factory td next to it after and all looks factory so that's the bulk of it done found that the alternator harness has an extension so I removed that and just had to put the plug for the alt on where I cut it to easy but and had to change the out side of the fuel filter housing as the hose was slightly different in size got the vac lines of a gq as my engine is the older one with the vac pump on the back of the alt but easy enough to fit up only other thing to note at this point is that you need the drive shafts from a td as the location move of the box stretches the back out heaps and bottoms the front out even with 4in of lift

Hi mate,
I'm about to do the same conversion, TD42 GQ to RD28 GU. Just wondering if you have used GU diffs with the GQ drive shafts and if yes, do they bolt on straight on?

Thanks
Mike