PDA

View Full Version : '98 Patrol GUII, ST,4500 - towing caravan

lloyro
17th February 2012, 12:48 PM
When towing a caravan (flat highway roads) is it better to drive in 5th. gear or 4th. gear. There is a general census of opinion it is better to drive in 4th. gear. The weight of the caravan is 1800Kg.
Does driving in 5th. gear put a strain on the drive train and is the fuel economy better in 4th. gear.
Thanks

bazz61
17th February 2012, 05:23 PM
gidday , i tow in 5th down hill and tail wind , dx 4.2 d non turbo,2.5 ton all up, and economy is a little better, done 15000 ks in 3 months, other vanners i talk to tow in 5th when they can , when there is a chance of strain on drive train like head wind or hills always 4th , ( don't have much choice!), just be aware of the 5th gear issuewith some model patrols, cheers baz margret river

pearcey
17th February 2012, 05:28 PM
I always tow in 4th am lot less strain on gearbox and better economy
Your manual should tell you. with Ford and Holden they even recomend 3rd with their auto`s

lloyro
17th February 2012, 08:49 PM
Bazz61, It sounds as though my driving when towing is very similar to yours. I tow in 5th. when I can. I have installed a vacuum gauge that I refer to all the time, and tells me when I should go down a gear, but there are times when going down a gear is not enough. (flat road driving). Of course, when driving on the flat there is always the odd hills and swayles where it is neccessary to change down.
I haven't noticed such a big change in economy except when driving on the flat and using 4th. gear the economy falls away. I should mention the vehicle is fitted with dual fuel and run predominately on LPG. If I approach a very steep hill I change to petrol for a bit more power. I normally travel at or close to 95kPH when towing for best economy.

lloyro
17th February 2012, 08:52 PM
Pearcey, Your response was the reason for my post on this subject, because I have often wondered when I am driving in 5th. whether I am putting too much load on the gear box. I recently had a new clutch fitted (although it was ok) and was amazed at just how large the gearbox was and appeared to be very sturdy. I do not do any serious 4 wheel driving with the vehicle. I tow in 5th. when I can. I have installed a vacuum gauge that I refer to all the time, and tells me when I should go down a gear, but there are times when going down a gear is not enough. (flat road driving). Of course, when driving on the flat there is always the odd hills and swayles where it is neccessary to change down.
I haven't noticed such a big change in economy except when driving on the flat and using 4th. gear the economy falls away. I should mention the vehicle is fitted with dual fuel and run predominately on LPG. If I approach a very steep hill I change to petrol for a bit more power. I normally travel at or close to 95kPH when towing for best economy.

Ben-e-boy
17th February 2012, 09:03 PM
You shouldnt really tow in overdrive in any car regardless of make or model

pearcey
17th February 2012, 10:17 PM
Great to see some one using a vac Gage it`s a lost art.
With me I tow around 1800 kg and my vehicle produces it`s max torque at around 22 to 2300 revs which equates to about 90 kph in the ie max power and economy

lloyro
18th February 2012, 01:49 PM
I haven't come across too many people who use a vacuum gauge. it really does give a reliable indication on the condition of the engine and how it is performing when towing. I have found 2400 rpm is my optimum in 4th. gear on the flat. I guess this answers my original question; there is less load on the drive train when towing in 4th. gear. Thank you to all for your input on this subject

Cowboy
19th February 2012, 07:42 PM
Mate, tow in 5th when you can. Our 3.0lt Patrol Manual pulls our van of 2100kg. so with your 4.5lt with 1800kg, I don't know what the problem is..

If you are "in tune" with your vehicle and know its ability, then you will know when to change down.
In ours, once I hit 2000rpm, I change back to 4th, the car will tell you.. Without the van,our baby runs well in 4th up to around 95-100kph, then up to 5th it goes.

Cheers