PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock absorbers - '98 GUII, ST-4500

lloyro
17th February 2012, 12:38 PM
I have a '98 GUII, ST-4500 and have tried to remove the rear shockers with no success. The bottom pins supporting the shockers are assembled such that they cannot be withdrawn sufficiently to remove the pins. Has anybody had the same experience and what had to be done to remove pins.

MudRunnerTD
17th February 2012, 01:46 PM
compress the shock. If you can not compress the shock then they are bottoming out and that is very unlikely. Compress the shock. To help, Jack the car by the chassis rail leaving teh wheel and diff where it is to uncompress the spring. But you should be able to just compress the shock.

lloyro
17th February 2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks for coming back, I can compress the shocker, but when i try to withdraw the pin it fouls agains't the shocker mounting bracket

lloyro
17th February 2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks for coming back, I can compress the shocker, but when i try to withdraw the pin it fouls agains't the shocker mounting bracket

MudRunnerTD
17th February 2012, 04:52 PM
Jack the car up under the chassis rail and it will open the spring and increase the length between the mounts and will let you take it out.

Is this original springs and shocks or after market? If its the original then your springs are sagged to buggery and you should be replacing them too. I note that you are looking to tow with this, replace the springs and shocks together.

lloyro
17th February 2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the info. At my earliest opportunity I'll try your suggestion.