PDA

View Full Version : Transmission removal

harrisryno
13th February 2012, 10:36 AM
HI I'm ryno and new to this site, I am mechanicaly minded but wanted to know how easy it would be to remove or even just lower the Automatic transmission box of a 1993 Nissan patrol with one trolley jack on my own driveway to replace the main transmission seal? any help would be appreciated thank you

White Elephant
13th February 2012, 01:14 PM
Welcome aboard Ryno, post up an intro in the introductions centre and I'm sure someone will be along to help you. There's heaps of great info on here, enjoy your stay.

97_gq_lwb
13th February 2012, 03:14 PM
I have done a manual transmission on my own you have to jack the car up so that their is about 2 foot of clearance between the sill and the ground.
I have modified my jack though i made up a large flat plate and welded a piece in the center that sits in the top oft the jack instead of the usual small round bit.
Then i use ratchet straps and strap the gearbox to it.

NissanGQ4.2
13th February 2012, 04:42 PM
I have done a manual transmission on my own you have to jack the car up so that their is about 2 foot of clearance between the sill and the ground.
I have modified my jack though i made up a large flat plate and welded a piece in the center that sits in the top oft the jack instead of the usual small round bit.
Then i use ratchet straps and strap the gearbox to it.

x2, check out my gearbox rebuild thread for the plate we made up for my auto gearbox : http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5942-RE4R03A-Gearbox-Rebuild&highlight=gearbox+rebuild

Lot easier if you can get a mate 2 give you a hand, still not the easiest of jobs 2 do by yourself.