PDA

View Full Version : I have just bought a GQ 1990 and have no idea about 4x4's...?!

GQ1990
13th February 2012, 12:21 AM
Hi

Having just purchased a 1990 GQ Patrol with 140'000k's for a steal I am reasonably stoked.

It was a knee jerk reaction as I was just in the right place at the right time.

After my very anal mechanical inspection it has scrubbed yup very well and backed up with all of the service history...but get the feeling a little too well...there is only a few cosmetic things that seem to be wrong with it?

Are these things really THAT bomb proof?

This little project is to convert it from 'city slicker' to something I can trust going out into the wastes with.

Can anybody give me some pointers? What should I be looking for? i.e what is prone to failing in this year model?

Many thanks and hello!!

Matt (GQ1990):049:

Airstrike
13th February 2012, 12:47 AM
I have a 92 EFI 4.2 and it can take a reasonable beating.

Post an introduction and put up some pics of the new truck.

Silver
13th February 2012, 01:29 AM
Welcome, GQ1990!

After you have posted up your intro, take a peek at the mechanical threads - YNOT has put up a cracker there on what to look for/prevantative maintenance.

oncedisturbed
13th February 2012, 04:26 AM
welcome to the forums

Bigrig
13th February 2012, 05:04 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it.

No doubt plenty of advice on here mate - do a search on Preventative Maintenance in particular. One of our members has put together a comprehensive list of items to address by model, drive line etc.

Enjoy!!

growler2058
13th February 2012, 05:36 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

wildgu6
13th February 2012, 06:59 AM
G'day Matt, welcome aboard mate
Great lot here with tons of advice and adventures and experiences,
Hang around, ask away and Join in where ever you feel comfortable.
Like Bigrig said, hit the mech' section and check out the prev' Maint' thread. Some great info on there mate.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

Sir Roofy
13th February 2012, 08:20 AM
welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay

DX grunt
13th February 2012, 08:29 AM
G'day and welcome to the forum. Great to have you here.

Where are you from?

The only bit of advice I will offer you is to keep your truck legal. There are a lot of legally modded trucks that 'cut it and look really fan bluddy tastic'. Take mine for example. lol

Don't be living in fear everytime you drive it, with the thought a cop will be sitting around the next corner waiting to put a yellow sticker on it for your illegal mods.

If you mod it up illegally, you will probably find that no insurance company will cover you.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Read my signature (in red), too. You need proper recovery points. Towballs can, and do, kill people and damage property

AB
13th February 2012, 08:39 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, very low km's you scored there!

Is it diesel or Petrol?

taslucas
13th February 2012, 01:09 PM
Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

Warnie
13th February 2012, 01:33 PM
Welcome mate and enjoy the new rig. The are pretty reliable rigs. But as with all things mechanical things do break. Things that break generally in the Patrol will not cost as much money as the other 4x4's

Dhuck
13th February 2012, 04:44 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Dave

GQ1990
13th February 2012, 04:54 PM
Hi Ab/All

Many thanks for the warm welcome, its a 4.2 litre Petrol (TD42), I will figure out how to upload pictures and do that in a sec...

Its is now all mine after handing over the cash this morning, I trawled the internet prior for a list of 'watch out fors' and after the inspection, all seems well, I only hope there is nothing nasty lurking that will bite me in the arse.

It did come with a full service history, all of the recall work was done earlier on and seems to have been maintained regularly. from interrogation of the former owners, it seems it has done minimal off roading as it was used as a Sydney Chariot for dropping the kids to school for 70% of its life.

Many thanks for the Preventative Maintenance threads, i'll have a look now, print it all out and spend the rest of the day in the garage working my way through the list!!

All the best

Matt

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12790

macca86
13th February 2012, 05:26 PM
safari??? Hi roof i see. td4.2 stands for turbo diesel. tb4.2 is the pertol version mate. nice pic though. throw abit at it and a very capable rig

growler2058
13th February 2012, 05:27 PM
She looks a beauty mate

Woof
13th February 2012, 09:34 PM
What a beauty Matt, are you in Freo WA? if so I am in Spearwood mate...............oh and welcome to the forum

the evil twin
13th February 2012, 11:56 PM
Series 1 GQ Ti is it ? ... auto Hubs, sunroof, chrome, 12 Volts ?

12 or 24 Volts, either way, if you got it at the right price with those low K's thats a bargain dude

rusty_nail
13th February 2012, 11:58 PM
love the truck mate, and those low Ks are a joy! is the paint job flaking on the bonnet? very tidy looking truck pal! im sure youll fall in love very soon!

Maxhead
14th February 2012, 05:32 AM
G'Day Matt, welcome to the forum mate

GQ1990
14th February 2012, 09:10 PM
Yes mate! Down in Freo!!

I am actually looking to get a major service done before i go any further as its all a bit of a learning curve.....get the opinion of a professional before I get started, can you recommend anyone locally?

GQ1990
14th February 2012, 09:12 PM
love the truck mate, and those low Ks are a joy! is the paint job flaking on the bonnet? very tidy looking truck pal! im sure youll fall in love very soon!

Yeah, she has a few rough spots and will get to those soon enough!!

belzi82
14th February 2012, 09:20 PM
welcome to the forum. Looks like a nice GQ (although I am a GU girl)

rusty_nail
14th February 2012, 11:53 PM
Yeah, she has a few rough spots and will get to those soon enough!!

looking forward to it mate, it looks a treat!!!

GQ1990
15th February 2012, 12:10 PM
Series 1 GQ Ti is it ? ... auto Hubs, sunroof, chrome, 12 Volts ?

12 or 24 Volts, either way, if you got it at the right price with those low K's thats a bargain dude

Sorry, mistake in my last post, 24v would in Series (not Parallel), I forgot my foundation in electrical engineering!! School Boy error!! Doh!!:049:

tzsafari
16th February 2012, 10:41 PM
I just bought an 89 and also have no clue, but this forum seems like a great resource.

Finly Owner
16th February 2012, 11:34 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House

Tim

Clunk
19th February 2012, 01:48 AM
G'day mate and welcome aboard

Goodwood
20th February 2012, 09:05 AM
Gday and welcome to the forum i'm a newbie myself but looks like a friendly bunch in here.

Tim30
21st February 2012, 11:48 PM
Sounds as though you're in the same boat as me with the lack of lack of 4x4 knowledge. plenty of clued up minds here to help by the looks of it. All the best mate.

Tweakedoffroad
22nd February 2012, 12:48 AM
hey mate welcome aboard you have a great canvas to work with there what sort of 4wd will you be doing is a good one to figure out before you start your mods

Finly Owner
4th March 2012, 01:22 AM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Matt

Tim

timbar
4th March 2012, 03:17 AM
G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim