PDA

View Full Version : Power steering leakage, and possible replacement on 1990 GQ/Ford Mav - how much?

mavis
11th February 2012, 09:35 PM
My dear old 1990 Ford Maverick LWB (owned since new) has, at 310000km developed the really bad death wobble at 40km/h, when you hit a bump on the road. We've had various similar wobbles before, at 70-80km/h, but these have been solved by wheel alignment/balance/new tyres etc. Mechanic tells me that power steering unit "stuffed", and needs replacing, and power steering pump "noisy", and ought to be replaced as well, and "dog" something or others need replacing - quote $2100ish.

Trusty "Mavis" has lots of sentimental value, even though her functional useage has partly been replaced recently, and I really am uninspired about taking her to the proverbial tip. I thought I'd try some Lucas power steering leak fixer first.The mechanic did top up the power steering fluid for me, and she still got the wobbles at 40km with a bump on the way home, which suggests to me that either the leak is really really bad (haven't looked yet), or that something else is causing the wobble ?Any other ideas, and is this a ridiculous quote?

Based in Melbourne, inner East - any suggestions as to "honest" repairers?

Thanks,

Andrew A

YNOT
11th February 2012, 09:57 PM
Welcome to the forum Andrew.

The death wobbles after hitting a bump sounds like front panhard rod bushes. Replace the bushes first (use genuine Nissan rubber bushes) and see how how it drives before you spend anymore money.

Tony

mavis
11th February 2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks, Tony. It just doesn't seem right to me for it to be a power steering failure if you can top up the fluid, and still have the problem.

I'll get another mechanics opinion.

A

YNOT
11th February 2012, 10:14 PM
I've had the death wobble in one of my earlier Patrols, same as your's after hitting a bump. It was near impossible to hang on to the steering the shake was that bad. Panhard rod bushes fixed it.
It is quite likely there is other wear in Mavis's front end that will need to be attended to and that may be contributing to the shake, but the bushes are where I would start.

Noisey power steer pump is sometimes just low or over heated power steer fluid. Have a look under the bonnet and under the vehicle, see if you can locate the source of the oil leak.

Tony

YNOT
11th February 2012, 10:16 PM
When you get a minute drop by the introductions page and tell us a bit about yourself and your Patrol. Having owned the car from new and now done over 300,000km I'm sure you have a few stories to tell.

Tony

Silver
11th February 2012, 10:39 PM
As per Tony's advice, go over and tighten all the clamps on joins where a rubber hose slips over a metal pipe.

After all this time the clamps can be loose - dunno if the hose shrinks, or what. However it was a quick and cheap fix for leaky powersteering from those locations on Silver, 89 Mav

mavis
12th February 2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks all. I'll get someone to look at the panhard bushes first (I'm mechanically inept, but for some reason very practical for anything not mechanical!), and then take it from there.

Poor old Mavis has been "replaced" in ordinary life with an Audi Q7, as my interest in frightening myself on 4wd tracks has diminished hugely over the years, but I'm keen to keep her up and running, so I have some options for off road adventures nearby (limited largely by petrol consumption! - 20-25l/100km.................and that the family perceive M as being comparatively "unsafe"...).

A