PDA

View Full Version : Slight wobble in my 2003 LWB GU

daves
8th February 2012, 06:29 PM
Hi,
I get a slight wobble when I am doing 10km to about 55km which is not there all the time,have replaced wheel bearings and steering damper and had my bushes checked,As I said its not all the time but is driving me crazy,If anyone has had this or knows what it is PLEASE let me know.I have had my wheels balanced also.

Thanks from Dave

Bigrig
8th February 2012, 06:48 PM
Delaminated tyre/out of round? Only thinking that on the basis of you stating all the bushes/rubbers in the suspension have been checked and damper also - did they check the radius arm caster bushes and rear rubbers where it meets the chassis? What about play in the steering box??

You would think a faulty shock would be more prevalent at slightly higher speeds, so whilst not completely ruling it out, I'd say not the obvious choice just yet. Check the tyres for being out of round - whether by delamination or any other cause, it can certainly cause a lower speed wobble feeling that is masked at higher speeds. Not saying it is this of course, just something else to check. Others will have other ideas also mate.

Good luck with it!!

daves
8th February 2012, 07:18 PM
Hey Bigrig,
Have got a tiny bit of play in steering box,shocks and springs were replaced so maybe it is the tyres,I have another set of tyres
so I will give them a try,The wheels that are on it are sunraisers which are offset to give me a wider trac and tyres are
bf goodrich muddies 33 12.5 15 which the back ones have uneven wear from the previos owner driving with the wheel alignment
way out so I have put them on the back.
Will let you know what I work out.

Thanks for your reply

nickpeacock36
8th February 2012, 07:21 PM
I thought GUs were supposed to wobble. They all seem to do it in one form or another.

daves
8th February 2012, 07:33 PM
I havnt had it to long but severall people have been saying that,I have been in other gu`s that dont wobble so Im assuming there has to be a reason.I hope so anyway.

nickpeacock36
8th February 2012, 07:47 PM
Its a safety feature to stop you dozzing off at the wheel.

Bigrig
8th February 2012, 07:48 PM
Hey Bigrig,
Have got a tiny bit of play in steering box,shocks and springs were replaced so maybe it is the tyres,I have another set of tyres
so I will give them a try,The wheels that are on it are sunraisers which are offset to give me a wider trac and tyres are
bf goodrich muddies 33 12.5 15 which the back ones have uneven wear from the previos owner driving with the wheel alignment
way out so I have put them on the back.
Will let you know what I work out.

Thanks for your reply

Good luck mate - there is a known issue with offset rims (changes the Ackerman angle and causes a wobbling effect), but yet to come across one first hand. Try the tyres mate and fingers firmly crossed for you!!

daves
9th February 2012, 07:59 PM
tried my other standard rims with 285/75/16 bf goodrich mud tyres and the wobble was gone so it has to be
the other rims or the tyres.The tread on the wheels that cause the wobble are heaps better than my other
wheels,ah well im going to have to get used to it.
Thanks to all that replied

Bigrig
9th February 2012, 08:07 PM
tried my other standard rims with 285/75/16 bf goodrich mud tyres and the wobble was gone so it has to be
the other rims or the tyres.The tread on the wheels that cause the wobble are heaps better than my other
wheels,ah well im going to have to get used to it.
Thanks to all that replied

At least you found it mate! Good stuff!!

daves
10th February 2012, 06:43 PM
Cheers mate

pearcey
10th February 2012, 07:52 PM
Check the lateral runout of the tyres as some times the steel belt is not layed correctly and if where the join of the belts is slightly out this will cause wobble

daves
12th February 2012, 08:48 AM
cheers pearcey,
how do i check that,

Thanks from Dave