PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

James.Belsyde
6th February 2012, 04:21 PM
Okay, so these are probably pretty standard questions coming from someone who knows very little about Patrols and/or 4x4 driving.
I've just bought a 91 model Patrol GQ ST and the steering wheel in it doesn't fit as there is a bit of play in it , which will make it difficult to steer accurately when towing. Are the steering wheels in a Pulsar or Silvia the same size as those in a Patrol?
Also, the truck has a 6 inch lift kit on it with extended leaf springs and shackles. If I were to remove them and sell them online what sort of money would I expect to get? Only removing them because the lift kit makes it difficult to tow horses which are an unstable load as it is.

Cheers,
James

Ben-e-boy
6th February 2012, 07:07 PM
GQ wagon with leaf spring???????????????????, first I have heard of it can you post a photo please

it is an aftermarket steering wheel??

taslucas
6th February 2012, 08:00 PM
GQ wagon with leaf spring???????????????????, first I have heard of it can you post a photo please

it is an aftermarket steering wheel??

James doesnt say its a wagon. Is it a ute or wagon James?

Also Rusty has given a good response to the steering wheel part of this question in the introductions thread:)

patrol_maverick
7th February 2012, 07:05 PM
steering wheel in it doesn't fit as there is a bit of play in it , which will make it difficult to steer accurately when towing. Are the steering wheels in a Pulsar or Silvia the same size as those in a Patrol?

The steering wheels are a smaller diameter, but they will bolt on correctly. I have an S13 Silvia wheel, and I used to have an N13 Pulsar wheel before that, and they both worked fine.
When you say there is 'play' in it, what are you comparing it too because Patrol steering isn't exactly what you call 'direct'. 'Play' may be 'Patrol normal'. (don't let me mislead you incase there is a problem, just saying don't expect sportscar handling)

patrol_maverick
7th February 2012, 07:09 PM
Just another thought. If it's got leaf springs, I'm guessing it has a few steering linkages too (like the MQ/ MK patrols). If each linkage has a small amount of wear, all the small amounts will add up to a large amount. Something worth checking out as this will cause a free play feel too.

James.Belsyde
8th February 2012, 01:16 AM
Thanks guys!
Yeah it's a ute, not a wagon.
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/417828_10151244775485333_852710332_22818611_137107 4238_n.jpg

patrol_maverick
8th February 2012, 05:36 PM
That front shackle looks like it's awfully long.

James.Belsyde
9th February 2012, 01:11 PM
It is ridiculously long, ill post a photo of it from the front

Dirtydog16
18th February 2012, 12:32 PM
It is ridiculously long, ill post a photo of it from the front

G'day mate,

did you end up taking that other photo?

Cheers

James.Belsyde
15th March 2012, 11:49 PM
Sorry Dirtydog, I completely forgot. I'll get some more photos up this weekend!

nissannewby
16th March 2012, 12:20 AM
you could prob ask around 500 or so for the springsand shackles it will tow much nicer if you just put some standard height or 2" springs in it.