PDA

View Full Version : Ali vs steel

markmclauchlin
6th February 2012, 12:36 PM
Hi all,

Looking for some opinions on an Ali Tracklander vs a Steel one. I have the opportunity to buy a steel one at about half the retail however wanted to know what your thoughts were/are on steel.

Obviously the Steel one is heavier, what else?

Cheers
Mark

YNOT
6th February 2012, 08:46 PM
What exactly is a tracklander?

Tony

Bigrig
6th February 2012, 08:52 PM
What exactly is a tracklander?

Tony

Roof racks I believe??

Bigrig
6th February 2012, 08:53 PM
Hi all,

Looking for some opinions on an Ali Tracklander vs a Steel one. I have the opportunity to buy a steel one at about half the retail however wanted to know what your thoughts were/are on steel.

Obviously the Steel one is heavier, what else?

Cheers
Mark

Personally (if it's a roof rack where talking about), I would go alloy. Half the weight, no rust, and easy to take on and off as required.

markmclauchlin
6th February 2012, 10:00 PM
Correct, tracklander is a popular brand of roof rack.

Cheers

Silver
7th February 2012, 03:10 AM
If I was going on long trips with lots of corrugations, I'd enquire whether the alloy was more or less likely to crack.

The other issue with alloy is that once cracked, not all bush workshops will be equipped to weld it.

Despite the fact that I have a cheap heavy second hand steel rack on the roof of Silver, I'd prefer alloy for what I use it for.

The weight of the rack eats into your total allowable roof load, as well.

iht2670
17th February 2012, 09:11 PM
If I was going on long trips with lots of corrugations, I'd enquire whether the alloy was more or less likely to crack.

The other issue with alloy is that once cracked, not all bush workshops will be equipped to weld it.

Despite the fact that I have a cheap heavy second hand steel rack on the roof of Silver, I'd prefer alloy for what I use it for.

The weight of the rack eats into your total allowable roof load, as well.

Good Point never thought of outback repair.
Steve.

nullack
18th February 2012, 02:17 PM
Aluminium has fatigue limit issues. In fact some types of aluminium alloys will crack eventually from the load of feathers falling on it. It'll take a long time but it will happen. Steel is also an alloy but is far better at dealing with fatigue, and often can be designed in a way that it can withstand infinite load cycles without a fatigue failure occurring.

Thirsty
18th February 2012, 03:11 PM
Alloy all the way

aaron
19th February 2012, 01:24 PM
ill be the odd 1 out ive got steel ironman on mine lol i dont notice the weight at all

Drew
20th November 2012, 03:22 PM
Anyone else ?

threedogs
20th November 2012, 03:49 PM
My 2CTs worth is that the extrusions they use now ,more than strong enough for the rigours of the outback, nice ABS plastic mounting system, I'll stick with my Rhino thanks,
proven and tested. and you can buy heaps of accessory holders ,etc. no brainer for me
Sheeesh old thread

89gqpatrol4x4
20th November 2012, 04:16 PM
I've got an old ally (TJM I think) full length rack and I can take it off myself no worries. It also has full length runners that sit in the gutter the entire length of the rack to help spread the load. Maybe something to consider?