PDA

View Full Version : TDi 4.2 Heater hose size

Cuppa
6th February 2012, 07:40 AM
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me what ID size hose I should buy to extend the heater hose in my 2006 TDi 4.2 Patrol.
It would make life much easier if I can purchase the hose before disconnecting the old one.
Thanks
Cuppa

Cuppa
6th February 2012, 05:33 PM
Well it seems that it's 16mm (5/8") ID.

I'm looking at running the hoses along the chassis rails & up into the canopy. Easiest would be on the passenger side, but I'm uncertain of how close to the turbo is too close. Any thoughts?
Also has anyone added protection to hoses, don't want them getting 'sliced' by flying rocks. If so what did you use?
Cuppa

Rip'n'Shred
6th February 2012, 06:05 PM
Why do you want to move them? I have seen a thick type of corrugated foil on hoses before not sure where you would get it from though, maybe parts shop. I wouldn't be too keen to put them anywhere near turbo. Long term heat would harden the hoses and they would crack easy.

Cuppa
6th February 2012, 08:04 PM
Why do you want to move them?

'cos i'm fitting this marine heat exhanger hot water service in the canopy.

So how close is too close? I reckon I can keep the hose around 6" away from the turbo's heat shield.

Cuppa

YNOT
6th February 2012, 08:36 PM
Talk to someone like Pirtek about heat shielding the hoses near the turbo, with the right shielding 6" shouldn't be a problem.

Tony

Rip'n'Shred
6th February 2012, 08:36 PM
Interesting idea.....

Couldn't say for sure but I imagine probably be ok, could just shorten the life of the hoses though. I would at least carry spare hose and coolant just to be sure.

Maybe you could make some sort of a shield near the hoses?

Cuppa
8th February 2012, 08:50 PM
Maybe you could make some sort of a shield near the hoses?

I might do that. I bought a 4' length of silicone hose today, having learned that it's much more resistant to heat damage.

I'm a bit concerned that teeing into the coolant system before the heater might result in the cabin heater not getting as warm, or taking longer to heat up, but if it's a problem I should be able to fairly easily add a 'bypass' with a couple of 3 way ball valves, to give either the cabin heater or the hot water service priority.

Cuppa

Frontbumfab
27th August 2013, 05:42 PM
Digging up an old thread but i did a google search and found this. Wondering if heater hose size would be the same for my 89 gq.

threedogs
27th August 2013, 06:08 PM
Why not used lagged copper with a few flexi joints
Just received my 12v water solenoids today, maybe what
you need instead of using ball valves use a toggle switch