PDA

View Full Version : Camping Trailers

NissanGQ4.2
5th February 2012, 08:41 PM
Hi all, what do you guys / girls reckon

Was going 2 bid, but forgot about it untill after it ended, seems like an ok price 2 me

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250986835726?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648#ht_12382wt_1390

Any guidance on buying a s/hand camping trailer would be appreciated :)

Cheers

Todd

rockndot
5th February 2012, 08:51 PM
well mate , i spent some time researching them a while ago, and if that one went for 4300,
i'd say blooody good buy
keep an eye out, that is about going price, for offroad model
good luck.

NissanGQ4.2
5th February 2012, 09:03 PM
well mate , i spent some time researching them a while ago, and if that one went for 4300,
i'd say blooody good buy
keep an eye out, that is about going price, for offroad model
good luck.

yeh I think there website for the same one they had advertised for 7+ grand, so 4300 I figured was a good price, but only new 2 looking for camping trailers. Know there is a lot of difference between various trailers out there, but I'm pretty much just after something basic that I can add more 2 later on.

Bigrig
5th February 2012, 09:08 PM
Try this mob also mate - I looked into them a while ago on advice I was given and apparently they're pretty good value too (willing to deal).

http://www.marketdirectcampertrailers.com.au/

BillsGU
5th February 2012, 09:26 PM
Gee - its so hard to say anything about a camper trailer until you have a VERY good look at it. It seems that anyone with a shed and a welder thinks they can build camper trailers. I have seen some that are a very basic garden trailer with a cheap tent bolted on top - right up to very good engineered off road machines where everything is top quality. The sales pitch is usually just that - some one trying very hard to sell their product. It pays to do your homework.

NissanGQ4.2
5th February 2012, 09:31 PM
Gee - its so hard to say anything about a camper trailer until you have a VERY good look at it. It seems that anyone with a shed and a welder thinks they can build camper trailers. I have seen some that are a very basic garden trailer with a cheap tent bolted on top - right up to very good engineered off road machines where everything is top quality. The sales pitch is usually just that - some one trying very hard to sell their product. It pays to do your homework.

If I had a descent shed and welder I would build my own.... If i was 2 do it............it would be one of those very good engineered off road machines where everything is top quality you are talking about *LMAO*

hekarewe
5th February 2012, 09:43 PM
i have a Johnnos trailer and would never consider anything else but thats for me......

i spent a couple of years looking and researching before buying the johnnos and i found out the following

cheap campers normally have cheap chinese canvas!!! looks the goods etc but not very good quality.
the first question i ask camper trailer builders is what sort of canvas they use, ie aust or overseas i strongly recomend that you avoid anyone who uses chinese or other over seas canvas if say australian then ask what brand. (there are only 2 canvas manufactures left in aust Wax converters or Bradmill) bradmill canvas will strink over time. Wax converters are based in syd and there factury is in Rutherford. all there canvas is treaded so that it does not shrink they also make the fabric used for dryasabones.
for longevity you want a 12 to 15 oz canvas 15 for the roof and 12 for the sides (mine is 15 roof and walls.

the next thing to look at is the draw bar if it goes tow hitch all the way to the rear in one peice or not this gives off road strenth also alot of cheap trailers use spot welds insted of full welding

axles should be at least 50mm and rebound spings with shackles at both ends not slippers

a good quality trailer is going to cost you if you want it to last hopes this helps

BillsGU
5th February 2012, 09:46 PM
If I had a descent shed and welder I would build my own.... If i was 2 do it............it would be one of those very good engineered off road machines where everything is top quality you are talking about *LMAO*

Glad to hear you have such high standards ..................:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

NissanGQ4.2
5th February 2012, 09:52 PM
i have a Johnnos trailer and would never consider anything else but thats for me......

Was looking @ hiring one of those trailers for the QLD meetup, but unfortunately my email for quotes has not been replied 2 after a week, looks like someone else gets my money, shame as the local franchise was just up the road from me.

hekarewe
5th February 2012, 10:29 PM
Was looking @ hiring one of those trailers for the QLD meetup, but unfortunately my email for quotes has not been replied 2 after a week, looks like someone else gets my money, shame as the local franchise was just up the road from me.

which franchise was it?? did you try emailing the head office ??

the evil twin
6th February 2012, 12:48 AM
Dang... someone scored. Not my choice as a rig but that is def a bargain at $4300

2mm chequer plate body, enclosed sides, 3mm box and 3mm 100x50x2200 drawbar, stainless kitchen and water tank, eleccy brakes, nice suspension setup... not bad at all.

The tops at that level of the market are all mucho mucho samo 14 oz ripstop out of China. Either use it till it's knackered or sell it and wack a full canvas jobbie on the trailer.

I went a different path and had a custom trailer made and put the top of our choice on it

MudRunnerTD
6th February 2012, 01:26 AM
Dang... someone scored. Not my choice as a rig but that is def a bargain at $4300

2mm chequer plate body, enclosed sides, 3mm box and 3mm 100x50x2200 drawbar, stainless kitchen and water tank, eleccy brakes, nice suspension setup... not bad at all.

The tops at that level of the market are all mucho mucho samo 14 oz ripstop out of China. Either use it till it's knackered or sell it and wack a full canvas jobbie on the trailer.

I went a different path and had a custom trailer made and put the top of our choice on it

Yep X2 for me.

That is a bargain regardless where most of it came from. I paid way way way more that that for my camper, way way more.!!

That is very well appointed and you'd expect to pay that much just for the trailer without the canvas top, so cheap!

I think it read that the top was an OZ Trail top and i cant say i read the add, just looked at the pics but have a friend that has an OZ Trail and it looked identical to his. Not a big fan of his, too much framework for me but that is a Steal!

If your looking for something to tow to QLD or on a family holiday where it will be mainly bitumen and light dirt then that is a winner and price sensitive. DONT tow it across the Simpson though ;)

Maxhead
6th February 2012, 05:28 AM
Hey Todd, nothing wrong with the Chinese campers. We loved ours and would buy one again. It wouldn't be as good as some of the top name ones but it's also 10th of the price.
Just make sure it's a welded trailer(which this looks like it is) and not a bolt on as a lot of them are.

Don't stress you'll get another at that price!

NissanGQ4.2
6th February 2012, 07:08 PM
which franchise was it?? did you try emailing the head office ??

Valley Heights, which is the next suburb up from me, nice and close.

Haven't emailed the head office yet, will give the guy at Valley Heights a call and make sure he received the email.

NissanGQ4.2
6th February 2012, 07:15 PM
If your looking for something to tow to QLD or on a family holiday where it will be mainly bitumen and light dirt then that is a winner and price sensitive. DONT tow it across the Simpson though ;)

Yeh only looking for QLD and family camping , no Simpsons Trips, don't think my GQ would make it *L*

flemj
7th February 2012, 05:41 AM
Hi guys

I thought it looked great, the only issue you might consider is some support for the tailgate when it swings out. It has nothing stopping the weight of the kitchen flexing on the hinges.

Also the stone guard might let a few go by, big holes in that mesh.

John

NissanGQ4.2
8th February 2012, 09:13 PM
Same trailer went for $3,650.00 today on ebay!!!!!!! Spewin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vanjun
8th February 2012, 09:40 PM
Hi all,
The best site to research camper trailers is here: http://myswag.org/forum/

Paul