PDA

View Full Version : Good afternoon

LuckyJon
5th February 2012, 07:46 PM
Good afternoon everyone.
I've never posted anything anywhere on the net before so I hope this works.
I recently bought a 1996 GU auto wagon 4.2 efi on gas and drove it back to Perth.
I'm in the process of getting the necessary work done to put over the pits prior to registering in WA.
Any advice? I would like to know of any company that will steam clean the vehicle and starting is a little iffy so I'm thinking of changing the plugs so any suggestions? All good wishes to the members and as I'm about to download the manual thanks for that and for any replies.

Dhuck
5th February 2012, 08:00 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Maxhead
5th February 2012, 08:06 PM
G'Day Luck Jon, welcome to the forum mate. You;ll need 25 posts to download the manual but that won't take long, just join in the banter say hello to a few members and you;ll be there in no time.

growler2058
5th February 2012, 08:22 PM
Gday Jon welcome aboard mate gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Bigrig
5th February 2012, 08:37 PM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it.

Enjoy!!

wildgu6
5th February 2012, 09:09 PM
G'day Jon, welcome aboard
Great lot here with tons of advice and adventures and experiences,
Hang around, ask away and Join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

Silver
5th February 2012, 10:39 PM
Welcome LuckyJon!

Perhaps you could put your starting question under one of the mechanical parts of the forum - that way more people will see it.

In saying that starting is a little iffy, is it slow to crank on the starter, is that part fine, but it takes a while to fire?

If it is the former I would go through and make sure all the electrical connections related to the starter motor are clean and tight.

If it is the latter, out of my league as don't know nuffink about GUs, let alone GUs on gas.

Most vehicles seem to appreciate new plugs and leads :-)

Maybe check with a gas installer and see what is normal for the set up you have in terms of best way to start it and how long it should take?

Steam clean. You can do a lot of cleaning, and some damage, with the garden hose connected to the hot tap in the laundry (washing machine tap) and cans of cheap spray degreaser.

The ways I know to cause damage doing this include washing lube out of alternator bearings, blasting water past seals in free wheeling hubs, ball joints etc. In my GQ, the rear diff breather from the factory ends in one of the pipe chassis cross members.

Steam cleaning may remove any rust proofing that has been applied - as may hot water and degreaser - test in an inconspicous spot first, or be ready to reapply?

The way to manage that risk is to find out what can be damaged, bag it in shopping bags or plan to avoid it. I have no idea what electrical trickery is where in a GU that might not appreciate a bath. someone on here probably does, if not perhaps a chat to an auto leccie?

If you added a pressure washer to the equation, or a Staun Massojet, you might get better results than the garden hose - but if you didn't have either, I'd start with a trigger controlled garden hose.

Oh, yeah, and be alert for colateral damage, eg stains created on concrete driveways or grass killed by hot hot water and chemicals

Clunk
5th February 2012, 11:08 PM
g'day mate and 3welcome aboard........................ what is this word "cleaning" you're all talking about!!!???????lol

sorry mate I have not a clue about GU's or gas for that matter, there's a bunch of us Westy's that are members here http://westernpatrolclub.com/forum, if you're interested............ hopefully someone will be able to help with your enquiry soon!!!

AB
6th February 2012, 07:55 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

LuckyJon
6th February 2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks for that. Cranks fine, slow to fire. I'll definitely do plugs and leads.
I'm rethinking the wash method.

Ramsi23
6th February 2012, 11:19 AM
Welcome LJ. Enjoy the GU for all its worth.

Sir Roofy
6th February 2012, 12:07 PM
Welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay