PDA

View Full Version : intelligent winch

hekarewe
5th February 2012, 05:42 PM
just saw this on you tube looks interesting thought i would share it

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4TtAgDp6VKA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/4TtAgDp6VKA

just found there web page

www.intelligentwinch.com

looks good could be some thing to keep your eyes on might be something for torqe to look into

Bigrig
5th February 2012, 06:04 PM
That shouldn't be too expensive or hard to setup on the truck at all (sarcasm!!!)!!! lol

Great idea, and good to watch, but not sure Bullbar manufacturers will think so!!

hekarewe
5th February 2012, 06:22 PM
That shouldn't be too expensive or hard to setup on the truck at all (sarcasm!!!)!!! lol

Great idea, and good to watch, but not sure Bullbar manufacturers will think so!!

maybe they will need to put their think caps on ROFLMAO

Bigrig
5th February 2012, 06:39 PM
maybe they will need to put their think caps on ROFLMAO

What? Intelligent bullbars that swivel around to let the winch do its thing???!!! Awesome news!!! That means 50" lifts will be legal so the bar can swing around!!!!!! LMFAO!!!!

hekarewe
5th February 2012, 07:45 PM
What? Intelligent bullbars that swivel around to let the winch do its thing???!!! Awesome news!!! That means 50" lifts will be legal so the bar can swing around!!!!!! LMFAO!!!!

and then weboth wake up an find out we have just been playing ship wrecks in our sleeep roflmao

growler2058
5th February 2012, 08:02 PM
WHY WHY WHY would like to see it winching up something hard or in mud thats sucked yer 4b in good n proper i wonder how strong the swivel is then, mud n moving parts would spell Trouble i rekon

BigMav
5th February 2012, 08:35 PM
Yeah seems kinda pointless to me

Maxhead
5th February 2012, 08:49 PM
Can someone please explain WHY!

hekarewe
5th February 2012, 09:57 PM
to me looks like it does a away with fairleads and looks like it has a sliding guide on it so you dont get bunching in the rope also the rotating winch would also stop the wire bunching thats just what i have considered from watching the vidio.

just went to the web page and copy and pasted the following Q&A enjoy the light reading LOL

Existing Winches: The fair-lead weighs about 5 kg and is mounted on the winch.
The Intelligent Winch: Saves in costs & weight.
Existing Winches:There is a friction between the fair-lead & the cable thus creating extra load on the engine.
The Intelligent Winch: Cable is being wrapped directly on the drum without friction and loss of momentum.
Existing Winches: The cable wraps properly provided the angle in relation to winch’s axis is 88 – 92 degrees.
The Intelligent Winch: The wrapping is being done regardless of the cable’s angle.
Existing Winches: In order to prevent damage the pulling angle is limited, allowing a slight deviation to the right or left.
The Intelligent Winch: There are no angle limitations. The cable stays free of any damage.
Existing Winches: When cable turns on one side of the drum the housing is exposed to pressure. This can cause damage, plus extra load on the gear & engine.
The Intelligent Winch: The cable does not turn on one side of the drum.
Existing Winches: A cable which is being wrapped unevenly will frequently be damaged.
The Intelligent Winch: The cable is being kept intact under all circumstances.
Existing Winches: When a cable is wrapped unevenly, quite often you are required to untie it by tying the end of the cable and driving backwards.
The Intelligent Winch: The cable always turns evenly on the drum.
Existing Winches: When a cable is wrapped unevenly it is impossible to re-activate the winch.
The Intelligent Winch: The winch is always ready for the next mission.
Existing Winches: A cable wrapped unevenly is time consuming and will never enable even wrapping.
The Intelligent Winch: The cable always wraps evenly.
Existing Winches: The system suffers from rapid wear of the housing, cable, engine & gear.
The Intelligent Winch: No wear of any of the components.
Existing Winches: The damage to the various components causes low credibility & high maintenance costs.
The Intelligent Winch: Zero maintenance costs.
Existing Winches: The tear in the cable creates safety issues.
The Intelligent Winch: No safety issues.
Existing Winches: Infrequent users find it difficult to operate the winch due to the limited capability of the system to function beyond the perfect angle, i.e. 90 degrees.
The Intelligent Winch: The winch is both friendly and safe for all operators, including beginners.

Silver
6th February 2012, 12:21 AM
intriguing. I can't see what drives the level wind.

What I can see is that the winch turns so that half the winch is hanging down below the bull bar waiting to be wiped off.

If airflow and structural issues permit, I guess it could be mounted high enough to prevent this.

Clunk
6th February 2012, 12:31 AM
as Growler said, I'd like to see this thing be given a proper challenge rather than a pulling a crappy landy up a tiny incline!!!!!

Vl-nitron
6th February 2012, 05:43 PM
Hmmm interesting

macca
6th February 2012, 08:13 PM
Interesting concept, if it wasn't for people thinking outside the confine of the "sqare" nothing would develop. Good on him I reckon.
I'm guessing that the winch is on a removable bracket as mine is, so when its not in use it's removed.
It could probably be mounted higher and not have such a clearance issue.
Like it but it's not for me..... yet.
Macca

Rip'n'Shred
6th February 2012, 09:00 PM
It looks very much like a hoist used in cranes, eg workshop gantry crane.

Notorious for breaking guides. do not like sideloads at all.

He may have strengthened them.

taslucas
7th February 2012, 09:49 PM
I just picture it after a 3 years of aussie dust, mud and rain. and like said above, when its turned sideways and getting dragged through some propper mud.

thebeatjackson
20th February 2012, 12:09 AM
the guys probably an expert on winching himself out because he owns a rover!

hekarewe
20th February 2012, 08:42 PM
the guys probably an expert on winching himself out because he owns a rover!

thats just cold and uncalled for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i still have a soft spot for the old rovers used them in PNG on the islands only things that didnt rust,,,,,,,,, as much LOL

thebeatjackson
27th February 2012, 11:49 PM
thats just cold and uncalled for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i still have a soft spot for the old rovers used them in PNG on the islands only things that didnt rust,,,,,,,,, as much LOL

haha fair enough, a friend of mine did just buy a defender, it certainly looks good strapped to the back of my nissan!.

although it certainly doesn't have as much rust as the nissan either!

patrolpilot
4th March 2012, 01:30 AM
with a traditional winch its captured in the bar thins one seems to put a lot of trust into the swivel mechanism. Not the best after a bit of wear

tmijnhout
25th March 2012, 10:47 PM
Wow this looks interesting!

harro959
10th November 2012, 06:45 PM
i love the idea of paying lots of $$$$ for something that is going to protrude front of my car to get destroyed as soon as u do any decent 4by work

Diesel-Mate
11th November 2012, 09:31 PM
i love the idea of paying lots of $$$$ for something that is going to protrude front of my car to get destroyed as soon as u do any decent 4by work

X2 would be very unreliable when put to proper use

nissanforever
4th January 2013, 10:21 AM
great video thanks for sharing

kegatron
25th August 2013, 01:14 AM
sorry... but i must pass on this...

P4trol
26th August 2013, 12:07 AM
thats just cold and uncalled for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

No way! LR drivers have a natural thick skin. Partly because of all the jokes they put up with, partly from waiting in the weather beside the track waiting for help.

How enthusiastically does a LR driver wave?

How broken down is he?

That winch video has been out for a while. I am surprised some sort of swivel hasn't been built into a 'normal' winch and bullbar.