PDA

View Full Version : Long range tanks on Gq

Vl-nitron
5th February 2012, 05:37 PM
I have a 97 Gq with a rd28t and it has long range tanks there is a main and auxiliary there is a plate on them that says LRA and there is a 3 way toggle switch on the dash to control them, with the switch all the way down it turns the electric transfer pump on and I don't no what the other two positions do does anyone have an idea??

Bigrig
5th February 2012, 06:08 PM
Hmmm .... assuming one is 'neutral' (as in sub/auxilliary tank pump off), one is straight dump of fuel to the main tank from the auxilliary, and one might (would be clever setup if it is) be to only give short spurts of fuel from the auxilliary to the main when the car is started like some modern systems ..

But really, what do I know???!!!! lmao

Vl-nitron
5th February 2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks mate oh and the switch has a G written on the switch for the top position and a fuel bowser symbol for the down position and nothing for the centre position

Bigrig
5th February 2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks mate oh and the switch has a G written on the switch for the top position and a fuel bowser symbol for the down position and nothing for the centre position

Fuel bowser symbol might be the straight uninterrupted transfer?? G might be for
"Geez, I forgot to fill the main tank, but lucky I set the sub to flow some in on startup", and the other is neutral as suggested!!! Easy!!!! lmfao!!!

You may, just may, wish to wait for some more educated opinions though!! lol

Vl-nitron
5th February 2012, 06:22 PM
Haha thanks mate I just went and looked and the rear tank is a brown Davis and the front tank on the drivers side is an LRA one

Vl-nitron
6th February 2012, 05:45 PM
Any ideas anybody

MudRunnerTD
6th February 2012, 06:05 PM
I'd be pulling the switch out of the dash and checking that there is in fact a wire to each position!! It is reasonable that the switch may not match the operation.

as a general rule there is an electric transfer pump that pumps the fuel from the sub tank to the main tank, this is operated by a switch that will automatically turn off when the sub is empty. I cant imagine that there is a reason to have any other function. I dont believe that the fuel system is supplied in any way from the sub tank ad it is just a storage vessel. It therefore make no sense but to have an on/off switch.

Check the switch, find the wire colours and consult the manual. IF your car had factory twin tanks then the senders will be factory and the circuit should be in tact.