PDA

View Full Version : Are the plastic wedges inbertween my front springs and diff caster correction wedges?

bobbrumby
4th February 2012, 06:58 PM
Are the plastic wedges inbertween my front springs and diff caster correction wedges? One is split and probably need replacing where do you get them?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/2.jpg

MudRunnerTD
4th February 2012, 11:57 PM
Hi mate, any chance you can resize your pic and post it again? it is nearlly too big to figure out what it is.....

It looks like you have a leaf spring and yes there appears to be caster wedges in place to adjust the caster.

A smaller photo would go a long way to being more definitive though.

Cheers

patrol_maverick
7th February 2012, 06:31 PM
Looks like a caster wedge. Are you sure they are plastic? Caster wedges are made from steel.

bobbrumby
7th February 2012, 10:50 PM
yeah they be plastic one side has a crack and is falling apart from sunlight. What degree do i need for say a 2 inch lift? Also whats the best way to measure how much of a lift is in the front? centre of hub to top of guard? what is it standard for a 90 gq ute? there are two different types on ebay: cast alloy in aus and steel from america, i am thinking the steel would be the best but worth the 2 week wait?

patrol_maverick
8th February 2012, 05:52 PM
I've got no experience with leaf-sprung patrols, but a 2-inch lift on a coil model doesn't require any castor correction. Best thing to do is get your wheel alignment checked just so you know if it's in spec or not. If you are going to replace the wedges it would be best to check the wheel alingment first incase you need thinner/ thicker wedges. Superior Engineering sell wedges, and I think Tough Dog do too. I'm guessing they would both sell steel ones, as both companies are big on selling quality parts.
Best to look in the manual for the ride height. I noticed the manuals are available for download on here so might be worth a go. Normally you would measure from the base of the rim to the top of the wheel arch. There may be a different way in the manual, so best to check first.

Robo
11th February 2012, 12:54 PM
Mate, find it a bit hard to believe you can't find steel wedges here in Australia.
Plastic would never stand up to the forces being exerted here.
try superior engineering, or snake racing plenty of companies out there.
To be honest the wedge looks like it is metal though.
almost cr###nal someone fitted something so potentially under spec.
Ditch that plastic crap yesterday.
If they fall out your in serious trouble.

Remove em tighten back up without em.
wheel align.
this will then tell ya exactly where your at with alignment and caster.
and you can then go from there with caster if required.
Cheers