PDA

View Full Version : diesel injector pump mods to stop black smoke at gear changes

irishrod
4th February 2012, 01:34 PM
Hi, 88 gq diesel 4.2 man lwb with dts turbo 455K and Diesel aust gassystem fitted 2800k ago,had an injector serv 2500 k ago .Since then hadr to start and blows black smoke on gear changes,performs great other wise.Gave to a diesel expert and was told after inspection that the fault was in the injector pump,renew pump,ok.Then I was told that I needed a blow off valve or some thing simular that would shut of the fuel when I changed gears.

As I am irish I am a little slow on the tech thingees can you help with an explanation as what I am getting.cheers

97_gq_lwb
4th February 2012, 05:53 PM
If your problems started after an injector change i would be looking at having the injectors tested.

MudRunnerTD
5th February 2012, 12:07 AM
Yep a blow off valve is a nonsense on a Diesel mate, take it to the guy that fitted the new injectors and tell him that one of them is dodgy and he should fix it for free. They should be flow tested and there should not be a drama.

Before you go spending any more on it check the injectors.

Did you have new or reco'd change over injectors fitted? or did they just service the ones that were in it? how much did the job cost? Did they fit a reco fuel pump too? how much was that?

Can you describe again when exactly you get the black smoke? Black smoke on Power on is fuel up potentially a good thing on a diesel, well a little anyway.... If your running Deiselgas too then yours should be burning clean and hot.

Did the same guy that fitted the new pump also tell you you needed the blowoff valve? I am not convinced you needed the new pump mate......

Ben-e-boy
5th February 2012, 02:51 PM
Yep a blow off valve is a nonsense on a Diesel mate, take it to the guy that fitted the new injectors and tell him that one of them is dodgy and he should fix it for free. They should be flow tested and there should not be a drama.

Before you go spending any more on it check the injectors.

Did you have new or reco'd change over injectors fitted? or did they just service the ones that were in it? how much did the job cost? Did they fit a reco fuel pump too? how much was that?

Can you describe again when exactly you get the black smoke? Black smoke on Power on is fuel up potentially a good thing on a diesel, well a little anyway.... If your running Deiselgas too then yours should be burning clean and hot.

Did the same guy that fitted the new pump also tell you you needed the blowoff valve? I am not convinced you needed the new pump mate......

I suspect he means a boost compensator,

patrol_maverick
7th February 2012, 06:38 PM
I'd say find a different diesel 'expert'. Sounds like you've been taken for an expensive ride.