PDA

View Full Version : ratttling boost gauge

tony78
4th February 2012, 09:53 AM
hey guys ive installed an autometer boost ans also a pryo gauge in my 3.0lt patrol.the pyro seems to work fine however the boost gauge needle seems to jump around instead of just moving slowly and smoothly.just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to fix it as its realy p.....g me off......

MudRunnerTD
4th February 2012, 10:36 AM
Hi Tony, did you fit the little white dampening plug into the end of the boost line? this is like a defuser and is supposed to balance out the pulses and calm it down for you.

Yendor
4th February 2012, 10:56 AM
My Autometer boost gauge was the same. I put some cotton wool in the fitting at the back of the gauge and it fixed the problem.

My gauge didn't come with a "little white dampening plug".

tony78
4th February 2012, 02:40 PM
hey mud runner i didnt get a ltl dampening plug with the kit.and yendor do you mean you put cotton wool in the back of the port into the gauge

Yendor
4th February 2012, 03:21 PM
Where the boost line screws onto the back of the gauge, just push the cotton wool into the line fitting tightly and then refit it.

tony78
4th February 2012, 04:07 PM
hey yendor just tried it and it worked like a charm.thanks heaps buddy.love this web site

Yendor
4th February 2012, 04:15 PM
No worries mate, I'm glad I could help.

MudRunnerTD
4th February 2012, 06:44 PM
Perfect. Just needed dampening. Yeah mine came with 2 little white plugs. Glad it's sorted

scrubrat
11th February 2012, 12:51 PM
Wouldn't the cotton wool restrict the flow and also can you cut the boost line to the length you require or does it have to be the exact length supplied,I have an autometer boost gauge as well.

Cheers

YNOT
11th February 2012, 01:03 PM
The cotton wool is just there for dampening pressure fluctuations, there is no flow as such.

You can cut the hose to whatever length you need.

Tony

scrubrat
11th February 2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks Tony, really appreciate all the info from you guy's .

Gary

Yendor
11th February 2012, 02:07 PM
I didn't notice any ill affects of fitting the cotton wool in mine, it just made the gauge reading more stable and stopped that annoying buzzing noise.

scrubrat
11th February 2012, 02:14 PM
I might try it without the cotton wool first and then try it with,just to see what the difference is.

Yendor
11th February 2012, 02:21 PM
I recommend that you do try it first without the cotton wool and if you are happy with it, don't put the cotton wool in.