PDA

View Full Version : Neil and Cass (Slowly But Surely)

Neil & Cass
1st February 2012, 10:49 PM
We are new here obviously and posted a question before saying Hello ::redface:

We are part of the grey nomad crew, wandering the country and working as we go. The Patrol is called 'Slowly But Surely' cause thats how we are getting around the island :)

Our Patrol is new to the family, we got her in July last year, hung our van on the back and headed for new pastures! Thanks to the posters of a few threads we have looked through today, the old 'towing in 5th gear' dilemma is a doozy for sure! Now we are scratching our heads over which path to take on that one! Will keep searching tho as theres bound to be the answer somewhere here.

Be sure to say g'day if you see us around and here's to some happy travelling.

Cheers, Neil & Cass

Silver
1st February 2012, 10:56 PM
Welcome, Neil and Cass!

re 5th gear towing, it might be interesting to do some fuel economy tests - assuming you are prepared to let your engine rev in 4th to whatever is required at your highway towing speed. What I am getting at is that you might be at a better place on the power/torque curve and have less right foot down in 4th?

If it is a diesel, I know nuffink about them - edit - I see from your other post that it is a diesel...... I shall retire quietly and listen and learn :-)

Bigrig
1st February 2012, 10:58 PM
G'day Neil and Cass - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it.

Safe travels and be great to see you out there one of these days.

Enjoy!!

Clunk
1st February 2012, 11:02 PM
g'day Neil & Cass and welcome aboard, hope someone is able to help with your other thread

Neil & Cass
1st February 2012, 11:09 PM
Aww shucks, thanks for the welcome you two :-)
@Silver - when it comes to a diesel they are great for the grunt .. add a turbo and you can have yourself a pretty nifty ride! And yes the towing question brings up the huge problem of over revving in 4th gear. In our case, 5th gear means a cruising speed of 100 kph at around 2400 rpm and she seems happy with that. 4th gear gives us around 85kph at 2400 and just doesnt feel right. But end result of gearbox is a big question.. we havent done the big sums on the fuel eco between the two.. we know that 5th gear at 2400 gives us 4.8-5.1 k/ltr which isnt too bad. Will post a thread when we get the figures worked out if anyone is interested.
@Bigrig, cheers buddy, love the signature line and if your on the road then we are bound to cross paths at some stage :-)

Neil & Cass
1st February 2012, 11:09 PM
Cheers clunk :-)

Dhuck
1st February 2012, 11:11 PM
Welcome to the forum mates.

timbar
2nd February 2012, 12:02 AM
G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

Woof
2nd February 2012, 12:56 AM
Welcome to the forum Neil & Cass, hope you enjoy it.

wildgu6
2nd February 2012, 06:52 AM
G'day Neil & Cass welcome aboard
Great lot here with tons of advice and adventures and experiences,
Hang around, ask away and Join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

Oversize
2nd February 2012, 07:08 AM
Hi Guys, Welcome aboard. I shall keep a look out for you in my travels. My patrol is called 'Thelma' and she stands out with an - OVERSIZE load ahead - sign on top.
Regards, Louise

AB
2nd February 2012, 07:56 AM
Welcome to the forum Neil and Cass, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Maxhead
2nd February 2012, 08:23 AM
G'day and welcome to the forum guys.

xerat
18th July 2012, 10:02 AM
Hi mate welcome to the forums

MEGOMONSTER
18th July 2012, 08:22 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

Finly Owner
19th July 2012, 10:14 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Neil & Cass.

Tim