PDA

View Full Version : New tyre on my Y60

tinkerer
31st January 2012, 04:48 AM
Folks,
Am I going mad, or is my tyre retailer trying to give me a bum steer.. I got a new tyre on my Y60, but when they tried to balance it, it said that it needed 160grams to balance. When I realised that the weights would be half way around the rim, the guy sadi that it would not matter because being a jeep wheel, I would not feel any vibration in the steering wheel.. Any advice, or even to just confirm my suspicions that they have sold me a dud tyre..
Thanks,

YNOT
31st January 2012, 06:56 AM
The tyre needs to be match mounted to the rim. Match mounting involves rotating the tyre on the rim to find the spot where it requires the least amount of balancing. Most tyre fitters either won't do it or charge more because it takes longer to do.

Tony

tinkerer
3rd February 2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the reply Tony, I'll bring the wheel back to the fitters and ask them to turn it on the rim and try again. They are guys who would be used with fitting tyres on jeeps and the likes, and with that I would have expected them to know to try turning, but I suppose you are correct is saying that they wouldn't want to 'waste' their time pandering to my needs. I'll give it a go anyway..
Thanks again,
Stephen.

patrol_maverick
7th February 2012, 06:54 PM
Normally rims are pretty well balanced, so if there is a weight problem it's usually just in the tyre, and 'match mounting' won't really change much. (Just my experience).
I can understand why they won't spend time trying to 'match mount' it -It's basically time consuming trial and error.
Also, what do they mean by 'jeep wheel'?

YNOT
7th February 2012, 10:10 PM
Normally rims are pretty well balanced, so if there is a weight problem it's usually just in the tyre, and 'match mounting' won't really change much. (Just my experience).
I can understand why they won't spend time trying to 'match mount' it -It's basically time consuming trial and error.
Also, what do they mean by 'jeep wheel'?

You might be surprised just how much of a difference match mounting can make to the balance. I did a lot of tyre fitting in my previous job including many of my own tyres, and match mounting made a huge difference on 4WD tyres.
Newer wheel balancing machines have a match mount function which does the thinking for you, no trial and error required. It still takes time deflating the tyre, rotating it on the rim and reinflating it but well worth it when it reduces the amount of balance weights by up to about 75% in some cases.

Tony