PDA

View Full Version : Chip for 4.5L dual fuel

Jamie
31st January 2012, 12:35 AM
I have heard that you can put a chip into a dual fuel. Is this the case and what are the advantages of doing it? I read somewhere that it does allow better tuning for both petrol and gas and for power and economy.

Anyone have any experience? Is it the best option to improve performance or would I be better going with some other upgrade?

Cheers,

Jamie.

YNOT
31st January 2012, 07:08 AM
Not sure about a dual fuel chip, I know dual programs are possible with some fully programmable aftermarket ECU's but your talking big dollars for a comparitively small gain. You might want to investigate getting an ECUTalk unit. These plug into your diagnostic port under the dash giving you full acess to look at the data the ECU is seeing, retrive diagnostic fault codes, and also give you limited temporary adjustment of a few parameters like fuel % and ignition timing. Being able to advance the timing when you switch to gas will increase power a bit.
May not be exactly what you're after but it's something to consider.

Tony

YNOT
31st January 2012, 07:21 AM
Have a read of this thread; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8482-GU-4500-TB45E-Upgrade

and this EBay link; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DFAS-Performance-Chip-Nissan-Patrol-Y60-4-2L-Y61-4-5L-/270726881349?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f08946045

Tony

Jamie
1st February 2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks Tony for the information. You're a wealth of knowledge!

Cheers,

Jamie.

Jamie
1st February 2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the links Tony. The story about the TB45E-upgrade was very encouraging and along the lines of what I'm looking for as far as an improvement. The ebay link is also very useful and I had stumbled across it myself although I'm new to the Nissan so I wasn't sure whether it was right for the car or not.

I'm having a dyno in 2 weeks with a garage in Daylesford which has come highly recommended by some Patrol owners. I'll start there and then investigate the other options.

Cheers, Mate.

Steve cooper
1st February 2012, 10:53 PM
Another option is an XEDE interceptor module sold by Chiptorque, it will allow u to adjust fuel AND ignition timing, it will also allow u to run separate maps for petrol and LPG, and is very easy to set up for automatic switch over between fuels.

There are some good gains to be had adjusting the timing on LPG in these engines, particularly in the midrange areas that u spend the most time driving in. These are not cheap to by new, however they pop up on eBay from time to time. The extra cost is because it's quite easy to modify a simple Maf/map sensor voltage to change fuel mixtures, but it's a lot harder to modify a cam/crank angle sensor signal to change timing.

I also posted a cheaper option to the DAFS module in this thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8482-GU-4500-TB45E-Upgrade

Good if u can wield a soldering iron.......

Jamie
5th February 2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the info Steve. I will check out and throw into the mix as an option to improve performance. I had spoken to a mechanic that works for Sargents 4WD section and he simply said you will never get good performance from both petrol and LPG due to the different burn rates. The XEDE Interceptor sounds like it could overcome this inherent issue with dual fuel. Cheers Jamie.