PDA

View Full Version : GU 4500 TB45E Upgrade

BJNSW
30th January 2012, 10:56 PM
I think I have finally cracked the extra Horsepower and Fuel economy problem with the TB45E motor.
I have had 3 Nissan patrols. 2 x ST 4500 and one 3.0 turbo diesel.
My first was a brand new 1999 ST4500 on LPG. I finally fitted a CAPA supercharger to get this truck going way back in 2000. (135HP on different Dyno)
My latest truck is also a 1998 ST 4500 on petrol but used only on weekends and for Holidays. ( had it for 5 years)
I wanted to improve power and economy as it was a woeful 24 litres per 100Klms.
Car has done 194,000 klms.
I started 2 weeks ago with a dyno run with 90 HP at rear wheels and 179 Ft Pounds. Air Fuel ratio was a super lean 14.7 across the range, standard ECU working correctly. Adam the Dyno guy suggested it was running so poorly due to being very lean.
Then fitted a K& N filter, new spark plugs Bosch Platinum and a Redback full 2.5 inch system (standard Cat). Dynoed again and came up with 94 HP.
Then Fitted DFAS from Punked Performance on Ebay $249 ( terrible customer service), this allows fuelling adjustment via MAF sensor over 128 points across rev range. JEM dyno people were great.
Went on the Dyno for final adjustment and achieved 112HP and 206 foot Pounds 24% increase in power and 15% increase in torque. Air fuel ratio now 13.0.
Very happy with the results, Truck now accelerates up long hills at 110kph.
I have just done 2000kls down to Victoria on a high country trip and the fuel economy is dramatically better. From previous 24 litres per 100 now getting 20 litres per 100 at 110kph to 115 kph fully loaded with roof rack and roof bag and 18 litre per 100 when touring at 100kph to 90 kph on back roads. This is a 28% increase in Fuel economy at 100kph.
Dyno graph attached.
I hope this helps others looking to improve the TB45E 4500.
Regards
BJNSW:)

YNOT
31st January 2012, 07:18 AM
Thanks BJNSW, I'd never heard of these before now.

Tony

twisty
31st January 2012, 11:20 AM
G'day BJNSW, thanks for the info. So about 15% hp increase with the DFAS ($250 + fit and tune), nice. But the fuel economy improvement has sold me.

convict_au
31st January 2012, 04:05 PM
whoa, that sound good. I've already got a K&N air filter, Pacemaker extractors and tiapan exaust. Which Im all happy about the change. I am about to modify the head cylinder, only because I've blown a head gasket. So may as well do something since its off. I will have to look into the DFAS.

Jamie
1st February 2012, 06:16 PM
Fantastic. I'm having similar issues with my 4.5L and am just about to get my first dyno. Lots of great ideas to try.

Poor performance from the 4.5L Nissans seems to be a common story, but you've given me hope taht I can get an improvement with the right setup and some extra equipment.

Cheers,

Jamie.

Steve cooper
1st February 2012, 10:35 PM
Hi fellas,
The system that BJNSW is referring to looks just like the digital fuel adjuster kit and hand controller that jaycar sell in kit form

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResults.asp?keywords=Kc5385&keyform=KEYWORD&SUBMIT.x=11&SUBMIT.y=13

Adjuster

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResults.asp?keywords=Kc5386&keyform=KEYWORD&SUBMIT.x=0&SUBMIT.y=0

Hand controller

If your handy with a soldering iron it will save u a bit of cash.........

twisty
2nd February 2012, 09:40 AM
$150 + fit and tune :-) and I can solder.

edit. "looks the same" ... looks exactly the same except for 2 IC stands and silk screening.

BJNSW
6th February 2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks Steve
For finding a cheaper option.
The guy from DFAS has only just replied to my enquiries after a negative ebay feedback over 3 weeks after I tried to contact him.
Would definitely recommend a DIY version from Jaycar as customer service on the DFAS unit was very poor.
Car still running very well after nearly 3000kls with new system.
Regards
BJNSW

bond
7th February 2012, 03:24 PM
Good work but i don't see how richening it up under power throughout the whole rev range has enabled you to get better economy while cruising.

There doesn't seem to be any change in the AFR's. You could richen it up almost the same just using the overall adjustment on the ECUTalk.

Does the module allow you to adjust the fuel under different loads as well as rpm?

There is always nistune which allows you to alter the ignition timing as well.

Timbo
7th February 2012, 03:44 PM
but.. you're going to supercharge it right? RIGHT??

:P

BJNSW
7th February 2012, 07:29 PM
Bond,
The ECU goes closed loop running on the O2 sensor from approx 1200 rpm to 2100rpm, after the system goes open loop the DFAS has a much greater effect.
This richening of the mixture seems counterintuitive but it has meant much lower throttle usage, better responce and a drop in fuel consumption.
The AFRs have dropped from 14.7 to 13.0 if you look at the graph closely. This fuel economy has now been confirmed over 5 tanks of fuel.
I contacted the ECU talk bulider and he advised the changes it could make to AFRs would only be tempoary whilst the unit was attached and displaying.
The DFAS unit only adjusts at 128 loadpoints not specific RPMs so needs to be setup on a Dyno with a good operator.
I hope this answers some of your questions.
Regards
BJNSW

BJNSW
7th February 2012, 07:34 PM
Timbo,
Sorry I am not going to Supercharge this truck. The kit is no longer available from CAPA and I had major problems with Fan Belts and lining up the drive sprockets on the first Patrol.
The kit cost was over $5,500 back in 2000 I would hate to think what it would cost now if available.
If I was really desperate for more power I would proably go for Turbo install, bigger horsepower.
Regards
BJNSW

Jamie
5th April 2012, 12:24 AM
Hi there,

I've have had issues with my 4.5L on dual fuel since I got it but I've just finished an upgrade and am now very happy. I had poor performance, very low power on petrol and terrible economy and no one seem to be able to find the problem. New mechanic and first dyno returned 90HP on gas and 76HP on petrol. As a result replaced faulty fuel pump and fuel filter, upgraded worn mixer to much larger unit, repaired leaky rocker cover gasket and a few minor other issues. Then completely replaced the exhaust with 21/4", extractors, high flow cat and muffler. Next I purchased an XEDE chip second hand which had to have an upgrade but still cheaper then new and replaced the air filter. The XEDE allows adjustment of air fuel, timing and if I had turbo boost etc. 12 maps in total and multiple map banks so you can set up different tuning profiles. My mechanic did 2 profiles, one for gas one for petrol and adjusted maps on the dyno. We got 126HP on gas and 132HP on petrol and the car is now a pleasure to drive. It's smooth and pulls up hills rather then dropping back as it did. I worked with the mechanic as he tuned it and the chip allows adjustments as various rev ranges as required. Shopping for a second hand turbo now to fit to the 4.5 and hopefully will get some more grunt. Obviously I had some underlying issues that needed fixing but the exhaust and chip have really made the difference.

rcolijn
18th April 2012, 09:29 AM
Hey mate, thats really impressive, where did you get the chip from, and what kind of chip was it? I have a 4.5 and alltough it runs extremely smooth I am not happy with the power, have to really put the boot in to get some. Fuel economy is ok with an average of 5.5 k's per liter (18 to the 100) but could always be better:)

Jamie
23rd April 2012, 11:55 PM
HI mate, I got the chip on ebay from a seller in the US. I'm very happy with the results and would recommend it, but you will need to get it dyno tuned by someone with the time and knowledge to adjust accordingly. I paid $180 for the chip. $68 for postage (international express postage) and got stung $300 for the upgrade (ripped off). Total excluding installation and setup $548 compared to $1100 approximately for new unit. I missed on a couple of earlier chips in Australia for $400 so that seems to be the going rate there abouts second hand. If you looking for one you need a H series chip for the 4.5L and an initial map and software can be downloaded free of charge from chip torque. I was unlucky with the update as the BMW chip was unique so stick to a standard H series and it go straight in. If your not sure whether its correct or not call chip torque and quote the code and they'll tell you whether it okay or not.

Good luck.

jff45
29th May 2012, 08:52 AM
@BJNSW, do you by any chance have a record of the changes made for specific load points?
Do you recall at which load point the adjustments started? E.g. my hand controller shows load point 45 on idle which is ~1.8v and I'm guessing no adjustments are done while in closed loop - which kind of throws the "128 load points" theory out the window.

Anything further you can add to the adjustment process?
I'm just starting down this path and want to get as much info together as possible..

Thanks!

BJNSW
31st May 2012, 08:08 PM
Sorry Jff45,
I had the Dyno guy do ti for me so no record of adjustments.
He was only able to use 70 of the 128 load points but still achieved
the HP and Torque figure increase.( I had problems adjusting the 0 to 5 volt range on the DFAS.)
I have just fitted a 160litre rear tank and have done 738 kls for 140 liters
so about 5.3 Kilometers per liter or 18.9 liters per hundred.
Still very happy with performance increase and fuel economy.
Regards
BJNSW

jff45
1st June 2012, 08:34 AM
If it were my vehicle, I'd want to know what changes were made 'just in case' something went wrong and they had to be redone. Might save another trip to the dyno..

All you need to do is reconnect the hand controller, make sure the DFAS has the 'Lock' switch on, set the mode to 'View' and click through the values and note them. This can be done with the engine on idle.

I'm sure your figures are correct and I'm surprised nobody else seems to have gone down this track - especially with the increasing numbers of 4.5 owners moaning about fuel consumption :-)

ozzymalone
13th August 2012, 04:59 PM
If it were my vehicle, I'd want to know what changes were made 'just in case' something went wrong and they had to be redone. Might save another trip to the dyno..

All you need to do is reconnect the hand controller, make sure the DFAS has the 'Lock' switch on, set the mode to 'View' and click through the values and note them. This can be done with the engine on idle.

I'm sure your figures are correct and I'm surprised nobody else seems to have gone down this track - especially with the increasing numbers of 4.5 owners moaning about fuel consumption :-)

Hey mate!, Let us know how you go with this mod cos' i'm interested in it too and cos you're local i will let you be the guinea pig and all! ;)

BJNSW
17th August 2012, 08:47 PM
I have upgraded to an Xcede chip for turbo install.
DFAS chip is up for sale less than half price on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Fuel-Adjuster-Nissan-Patrol-GU-GQ-TB45-TB42-/221106635765?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337afb83f5
Regards
BJNSW

Paul Tkalec
9th March 2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks mate, I've gotta get me one of those.

brettski888
20th May 2014, 10:27 PM
thanks for the info BJNSW. I'm about to purchase a 2000 model GU Ti 4500. I will be fitting these mods as soon as i get the car.

jff45
21st May 2014, 08:21 AM
thanks for the info BJNSW. I'm about to purchase a 2000 model GU Ti 4500. I will be fitting these mods as soon as i get the car.

Don't waste your money on the MAF modifier. Modifying MAF signals risks inducing unwanted timing changes if you overdo it.
You can find secondhand piggyback modules on Ebay/Gumtree that allow both fule & timing changes.. like the Xede 'H' type for example.