PDA

View Full Version : issues with my zd30

Wilbar
30th January 2012, 06:33 PM
hi all, i was driving along recently doin about 110kmh when with no warning i lost power and the old rig started blowing smoke. it still runs but with a fair amount of smoke and no power at all. i have had the intercooler checked it fine, starting to think maybe turbo have s#@t itself? it's done 250,000 klms. wondering if anybody out there can help with answers to my issues that i can check myself first before taking it to the workshop.
:cheers:

Maxhead
30th January 2012, 06:36 PM
What colour smoke and any strange noises coming from the donk?

macca86
30th January 2012, 06:42 PM
that's how my dlown turbo drives but you would have known it was comming with the rattel it makes before it goes

Wilbar
30th January 2012, 06:45 PM
was a dark blue/grey i didnt notice any strange noises. i actually drove about 10ks to get it home. it had now power under foot. i have pressure tested it and that was fine but i'm new to this as i before owned a 355 stroker commodore. got sick of plowing the dirty roads out the river with my gearbox and tow kit.

Wilbar
30th January 2012, 06:48 PM
no rattle or anything macca just cruising then out of nowhere now power and smoke. had me buggered for a bit now. Missing the 4x4 adventures i was having with the family before this happened i want to get it up and going so we can continue the adventures :(

macca86
30th January 2012, 06:50 PM
check the intercooler agian and also the egr and mainifold gaskets

Maxhead
30th January 2012, 06:52 PM
Sounds like a turbo's shot but usually they'd make some noise. One of the guru's might jump on shortly to give you other opinions

Sir Roofy
30th January 2012, 07:08 PM
the way you descibe it sounds like turbo
hope im wrong

Sir Roofy
30th January 2012, 07:09 PM
the way you descibe it sounds like turbo
hope im wrong

thinking intercooler hoses might be soft or cracked

thewarrens
30th January 2012, 08:05 PM
hi all, i was driving along recently doin about 110kmh when with no warning i lost power and the old rig started blowing smoke. it still runs but with a fair amount of smoke and no power at all. i have had the intercooler checked it fine, starting to think maybe turbo have s#@t itself? it's done 250,000 klms. wondering if anybody out there can help with answers to my issues that i can check myself first before taking it to the workshop.
:cheers:

I would take of the intake pipe (the one running to the airbox) a grab the impella nut and see if there is allot of play in it? sounds like a turbo for sure (sorry)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/01/16.jpg

macca86
30th January 2012, 08:57 PM
i've been qtoted 2500 to replace mine also getting a turbo timer to give it a longer life

Wilbar
31st January 2012, 04:50 PM
i took the intake pipe off and checked the impella and nut for play it has none. there was some oil in the intake pipe. is that normal??

macca86
31st January 2012, 04:52 PM
yes but doing the nads will stpr it. need catch can and block erg valve may as well get it done while the turbo is being done with the pyro guage as well

Wilbar
1st February 2012, 12:33 PM
started it last night after cleaning up bits and peices of intake pipe, maf sensor was dirty so i cleaned that aswell. when running it now has a knocking sound while running :( :( i am fearing the worst now

macca86
1st February 2012, 04:11 PM
what year model? if before 03 you may be in trouble if it's knocking byt make sure you installed everything and not starving it of air or fuel and it's all connected up.

teleman
3rd February 2012, 06:17 PM
Maybe check MAF (pipes as well) and Boost sensor. They cost bout 250 each and have to be genuine nissan. (so my mechanic says)

Haydog Havoc
11th February 2012, 01:42 PM
Plumb a pressure guage in the intake somewhere (after turbo) and check boost pressure whilst running at full noise, Then post what pressure your getting.
Also you could drop the intake hose off front of turbo and check for play in turbo and also oil, also drop the dump pipe off and check for play in turbo wheel and oil and to ensure the exhaust wheel is still there.
You can check intercooler and hoses by spraying them with soapy water then running it up and look for bubbles this will indicate a leak.
Also did the check engine light flash on as you may have a fault with airflow meter or the boost pressure sensor.