PDA

View Full Version : Td42 temperature odd behaviour

97_gq_lwb
30th January 2012, 05:57 PM
My td42 gq is doing something odd.
First of all i run around in it for a week or two without the fan shroud on.
It was fine temps sat about 1/4 didn't notice any fluctuation at all.
So i decided to install the shroud on the weekend as i am getting the aircon regassed.
It was ok until i went on the freeway doing over 100 the temp rose up to just under half way.
So i decided to try a different thermostat went from a 77 i think it was to a 85 .
Now it sits just under half around town and rises to 3/4 on the freeway doing over 100.
Is their any way to stop the temp fluctuating so much i find it odd that it only happens with the shroud on.
I am thinking maybe the fan is restricting the airflow somehow at high speed or the clutch isn't functioning has anyone else had this issue.
Just seems rather odd that the thermostat change just changed the temperature of the fluctuation.

97_gq_lwb
10th February 2012, 01:02 PM
Well today i decided to put new silicon oil into the clutch fan hub as it was a bit stiff.
when i pulled it apart the old stuff was as thick as grease.
So after a thorough clean out and a couple of tubes of silicon oil she should be good to go.
And the fan blade was on backwards well as far as i can tell anyway the F marking was facing the rear of the car instead of the front.
So i will see how it goes later today.
But it would explain my problems.

Bigrig
10th February 2012, 02:37 PM
Well today i decided to put new silicon oil into the clutch fan hub as it was a bit stiff.
when i pulled it apart the old stuff was as thick as grease.
So after a thorough clean out and a couple of tubes of silicon oil she should be good to go.
And the fan blade was on backwards well as far as i can tell anyway the F marking was facing the rear of the car instead of the front.
So i will see how it goes later today.
But it would explain my problems.

Good luck with it mate - surprised you got no response to this post, I completely missed it however!!!

See how you go today and let us know!!!

97_gq_lwb
10th February 2012, 02:44 PM
Yeah i am hoping it resolves the problem.
Anyone else doing the clutch hub that has trouble with the o ring expanding and not fitting back in.
Heres a tip lay some waxed paper on an oven baking tray and stick it in the over for 5-10 minutes on 150 and it will shrink back to size.

Bigrig
10th February 2012, 02:54 PM
Yeah i am hoping it resolves the problem.
Anyone else doing the clutch hub that has trouble with the o ring expanding and not fitting back in.
Heres a tip lay some waxed paper on an oven baking tray and stick it in the over for 5-10 minutes on 150 and it will shrink back to size.

Haha ... necessity driving innovation!!! Never thought of my car parts as "baked goods"!!! lol

97_gq_lwb
10th February 2012, 08:48 PM
Might have to get an apron on next time i bake the patrol.
It helped a little i'll try putting the original thermostat back in and rod the radiaitor haven't done one for a few years so hope i don't stuff it.