PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference.

CptClinac
29th January 2012, 10:33 AM
Hi guys,
I'm a newbe. Just joined. found the site while searching for an online manual.
Joined up.
Then couldn't download the manual ! ! ! :(
Spotted the 25 posts rule ! ! ! :(
Never mind. It's cool with me.
We'll get there.

I've just graduated from a terrano to a safari.
Can anyone tell me the difference between a safari and a patrol??? Is there any???

About me.
I'm an electrical /electronic engineer by proffession. (retired).
I'm a boatie by choice (volunteer coastguard skipper. (retired)).
Property manager by requirement (I enjoy this lifestyle by virtue of 2 rental properties).
Safari owner, as part of the boatie. It's about the only thing big enough to tow my boat :)

Dave
(aka Cpt Clinac)
(puzzled ? - search 'linac boat' )

youngseal
29th January 2012, 10:50 AM
Check out the diy thread and tell us what you did today on your 4x4...i hope you enjoy your browsing!

Clunk
29th January 2012, 11:02 AM
g'day mate and welcome aboard............... the main difference is the electrical system, I believe Safari's run off 24V and Patrols off 12V. Here in Aus Safari's are generally Japanese imports........

growler2058
29th January 2012, 11:06 AM
Gday Dave welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here full of great info and advice. As Clunk said i think safaris are 24v, but i thought they were also the "high" roof version.....trust me ive beeen known to be wrong before

Clunk
29th January 2012, 11:16 AM
I think you can get high roof in both safari and patrol but much rarer in patrol guise................... XLR8's high top was a Patrol.......................... there's also a few difference in specs, as in the fruit they come with but I couldn't tell you what they were

Sir Roofy
29th January 2012, 12:02 PM
Welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay

Maxhead
30th January 2012, 07:17 AM
G'Day Dave, welcome to the forum mate

the evil twin
30th January 2012, 04:23 PM
I think you can get high roof in both safari and patrol but much rarer in patrol guise................... XLR8's high top was a Patrol.......................... there's also a few difference in specs, as in the fruit they come with but I couldn't tell you what they were

Yeah, Hi Roof Patrol Wagons were available in Aus for just shy of 2 years as Series 1 GQ Ti's. Had a lot of fruit on 'em incl sunroof etc. Hi roof Patrols discontinued in '91 ish.

Safari's are around in both 12 and 24 Volt versions but in Aus the majority of Hi Roofs seem to be Safari's and the majority of Safari's seem to be 24 Volt

taslucas
30th January 2012, 04:31 PM
Yeah, Hi Roof Patrol Wagons were available in Aus for just shy of 2 years as Series 1 GQ Ti's. Had a lot of fruit on 'em incl sunroof etc. Hi roof Patrols discontinued in '91 ish.

Safari's are around in both 12 and 24 Volt versions but in Aus the majority of Hi Roofs seem to be Safari's and the majority of Safari's seem to be 24 Volt

Yeah I saw a "low" roof safari at my local supermarket just the other day. Looked just like a GQ.
Hi capt Dave, welcome aboard!

Clunk
30th January 2012, 04:32 PM

Not very complicated at all hey!!!!???? Lol

wildgu6
30th January 2012, 05:28 PM
G'day Dave, welcome aboard mate
Great lot here with tons of advice and adventures and experiences,
Hang around, ask away and Join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

thewarrens
30th January 2012, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, and look forward to seeing your posts

CptClinac
30th January 2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys,
That opened the old eyeballs a bit.
My GQ is 1988, auto, TD4.2 no turbo (the ad claimed 4cc ! ! ) . High top. 24V. 5 wheels (1 at each corner) and now has a nut behind the wheel.
It's Jap made and imported to NZ 2nd hand.
Red over grey. and named Bruce (previous owners did this - & we're too lazy to change it).

He's a bit shaky @ pres. Wheel balancing or out-of-round tyre. To be sorted VERY soon.
Most recent fix was a puncture (Wednesday) and the tyre man put his rattle gun on "SUPER GORILLA" setting and stuffed at least 1 wheel stud.
AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH
Fortunately it is on the spare tyre carrier not a hub.
But it still needs fixing. AND that was done on a trip and we didn't spot it for a while so we can't take it back.

Dave