PDA

View Full Version : 2008 CRD Surging

tjs
29th January 2012, 10:32 AM
Hi Guys, I have just fitted 2.34” Beaudesert Exhaust to my patrol and what a difference it has made. The turbo lag has now gone and the truck is a lot easier to drive. I have a scangauge fitted and have noticed that the max boost has gone from 15 to 16-17 psi. It appears that the ECU is controlling the boost with the higher spikes just due to the quicker spool up. The one thing that I have noticed is a surging at around 2000rpm in 4th under acceleration. It feels like the truck is starving itself. Any ideas as to what is causing this? Would adjusting the VNT help?
Thanks in advance

Bigrig
29th January 2012, 01:12 PM
Wouldn't think it would be starving at steady cruising if you're getting good response through the range on acceleration??

Hmmm ... sorry cant help mate, but hang tight and someone will have some ideas for sure ...

tjs
29th January 2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks Bigrig, It happens while accelerating up through the gears. You can feel it the most in 4th gear as the rpm climbs above 2000. you need to be on a pretty smooth road to feel it, but is has a couple of surges/pauses as it passes 2000 on its way to 2500. It feels almost as if the fuel cant keep up. I thought it may have something to do with the increase in spool up and boost?

Ben-e-boy
29th January 2012, 03:13 PM
it could be a boost leak chec your intake piping

tjs
30th January 2012, 07:55 AM
Intake all looks fine from what i can see. Is there an easy way to pressurise and check for leaks?

Ben-e-boy
30th January 2012, 09:05 PM
Intake all looks fine from what i can see. Is there an easy way to pressurise and check for leaks?

a boost gauge will tell you if yyou have aleak did you physically check the piping or just look??

Cheers
Benny

tjs
31st January 2012, 08:49 AM
Only checked with hands/eyes whilst still connected. Will remove piping and intercooler for a check and clean. i'll see what turns up after that.

mick20
31st January 2012, 02:00 PM
I had the same problem on my 2008 GU ST (CRD).

My cousin gave me some advice so I removed my intercooler and sprayed inside with degreaser and gave it a good wash out then blew it out with an air compressor and left it to dry in the sun (standing on a bench seat with the outlet at the bottom for excess water to drain) for a few hours (give it a shake every now and then to get any other excess water out).

I also took off all the hoses that were attached to the intercooler (on both sides) all the way to the MAF sensor and sprayed them with degreaser and cleaned them out (some had a bit of oil in them). I also cleaned the MAF sensor and turbo inlet (sprayed them with carby cleaner) when spraying the turbo fan - put a rag under the inlet pipe and in front as you will be surprised how much gunk comes out (this cleans the blades apparently), after putting it back together I have not experienced the surging problem since. (Just got the coolant leak from the timing cover problem?)

tjs
1st February 2012, 08:30 AM
I had the same problem on my 2008 GU ST (CRD).

My cousin gave me some advice so I removed my intercooler and sprayed inside with degreaser and gave it a good wash out then blew it out with an air compressor and left it to dry in the sun (standing on a bench seat with the outlet at the bottom for excess water to drain) for a few hours (give it a shake every now and then to get any other excess water out).

I also took off all the hoses that were attached to the intercooler (on both sides) all the way to the MAF sensor and sprayed them with degreaser and cleaned them out (some had a bit of oil in them). I also cleaned the MAF sensor and turbo inlet (sprayed them with carby cleaner) when spraying the turbo fan - put a rag under the inlet pipe and in front as you will be surprised how much gunk comes out (this cleans the blades apparently), after putting it back together I have not experienced the surging problem since. (Just got the coolant leak from the timing cover problem?)

Thanks mick20, havent had a chance to clean it out as yet but hopefully this will fix it.

sr06
4th June 2012, 06:58 PM
Hay mate how did you go with it my 08 is surging pretty bad and I was poking along in 2rd and it happened again in 4th not under power it feels like I'm running out of fuel thanks mate

mickfromaustralia
20th November 2012, 12:37 PM
Hi , I have 2008 CRD , just fitted the Beaudesert Exh 23/4 and have surging on light acceleration in 4th approx 60 to 80 kmph . If you have found a fix please let me know .

macca86
20th November 2012, 03:11 PM
Blocked fuel filter might be a problem. Open drain on filter hand pump fuel and collect it check for water if filled with water change it

threedogs
20th November 2012, 04:12 PM
Shouldn't you be ringing Beaudesert exhaust, Thats the one common denominator, also are any here running EGT and boost guages, EGR blocking plate, DAWES or Needle valve.
Not much info to go on, Like Macca86's idea but cant be all 4x4s

Maxhead
20th November 2012, 04:17 PM
I have a mate with a stock 08 CRD manual and he was getting kind of surging but more of a very slight power fluctuation especially in higher gear while accelerating(more noticeable) and sometimes while cruising.
Sprayed some contact cleaner in the throttle position sensor and problem went away....

Could be worth a shot.

Dudley
3rd December 2012, 10:10 PM
I have had the same thing happening and it seems to only happen after I have used the Cruise control. I have found that if I floor the accelerator pedal, sometimes only once, it goes back to normal. Hope this helps.

tjs
4th December 2012, 09:23 AM
The last thing I did was replace the air filter and it appears to have gone away. I replaced it with a ryco, not sure why this helped as the filter was less than 10k old and wasn’t excessively dirty. now change the filter about every 10k as a minimum.
Worth a try...