PDA

View Full Version : What did you do to your Patrol today!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43

rusty_nail
14th April 2019, 10:29 PM
Few things. Got the zorst back on after welding up the mid and rear bracket after both were snapped off. New gaskets too. Hopefully this was the cause of the exhaust smell in the cab. One of the gaskets, not pictured was in pretty bad shape.
Then replaced the inline fuel filter that I added in years ago to filter the fuel from the sub tank to the main tank. Needed to say the filter was pretty blocked.
I also did and oil change, catch can filter change, air filter change, replace front left indicator assy, cut and polished the roof then added a coat of wax to it before i put the roof rack back on. Degreased under the Patrol, then parked it up.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWhere can I get one of those catch can filters from mate, mine is getting pretty sad

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mudski
15th April 2019, 06:57 AM
Where can I get one of those catch can filters from mate, mine is getting pretty sad

Western Filters eBay store is the cheapest. Don’t get the stainless washable type. They don’t catch the oil very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threedogs
15th April 2019, 08:03 AM
Few things. Got the zorst back on after welding up the mid and rear bracket after both were snapped off. New gaskets too. Hopefully this was the cause of the exhaust smell in the cab. One of the gaskets, not pictured was in pretty bad shape.
Then replaced the inline fuel filter that I added in years ago to filter the fuel from the sub tank to the main tank. Needed to say the filter was pretty blocked.
I also did and oil change, catch can filter change, air filter change, replace front left indicator assy, cut and polished the roof then added a coat of wax to it before i put the roof rack back on. Degreased under the Patrol, then parked it up.

I have a mtr of 75mm flexi stainless if you need it for your exhaust
it will only be thrown out soon

mudski
15th April 2019, 08:19 AM
I have a mtr of 75mm flexi stainless if you need it for your exhaust
it will only be thrown out soon

Im good thanks John. If I need any exhaust parts I just get them off the shelf at work.

Bidja
15th April 2019, 07:20 PM
mudski thought you may have increased the strength of the brkt by welding some increased thickness plate on the non critical face of them. Just a thought mate

mudski
15th April 2019, 08:19 PM
mudski thought you may have increased the strength of the brkt by welding some increased thickness plate on the non critical face of them. Just a thought mate

Yeah time just isnt on my side. So I just mig'd it up. I have made a template on cardboard so I will make a better one later. I need to work out why the brackets have broke in the first place. I don't think the rear bracket which has broken in two spots is actually in the right position. Just putting undue stress on itself.

Bidja
15th April 2019, 08:42 PM
Yeah time just isnt on my side. So I just mig'd it up. I have made a template on cardboard so I will make a better one later. I need to work out why the brackets have broke in the first place. I don't think the rear bracket which has broken in two spots is actually in the right position. Just putting undue stress on itself.

Couple of weeks back had brkt failure on Berklee 3" sys (2nd section), failed at right angle bend of section fixing brkt as excessive induced stress resulting from hole out of alignment with G/Box mount point. Second time failure and Berklee have just sent me new section under warranty (sys bought over two yrs ago now). Pretty good of them (new design), still in bubble wrap, I actually made up new angle intermediate piece with an elongated hole to ensure alignment. Working well. Only need dump pipe and tail pipe section and would have 2nd complete sys.

rusty_nail
15th April 2019, 10:33 PM
Installed a 22" light bar I had sitting around to the roof, installed a deep cycle Repco 102AH battery, it was on special for $199, and is just a rebranded century battery. The Aussie made one.

I just can't justify the price of the optimas etc for his much I use them so the century/Repco one will just have to do for now.

rusty_nail
16th April 2019, 08:41 AM
Western Filters eBay store is the cheapest. Don’t get the stainless washable type. They don’t catch the oil very well.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIs this what I'm looking for mate?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2 F273767023797

mudski
16th April 2019, 08:45 AM
Is this what I'm looking for mate?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2 F273767023797

Thats it.
You can wash out the old one too. Wash it in Petrol, then degreaser, then hot soapy water and let it dry.

rusty_nail
16th April 2019, 08:46 AM
Thats it.
You can wash out the old one too. Wash it in Petrol, then degreaser, then hot soapy water and let it dry.Done that but it's starting to fray

mudski
16th April 2019, 08:50 AM
Done that but it's starting to fray

Ok might be passed its use by then....

rusty_nail
16th April 2019, 08:51 AM
Ok might be passed its use by then....It's probably 4-5 years old lol

10G
16th April 2019, 03:04 PM
put some paperwork on the bonnet

threedogs
16th April 2019, 03:06 PM
Im good thanks John. If I need any exhaust parts I just get them off the shelf at work.

Post me the template and Ill make you a bracket that wont break.
I have a folder and drill press, give me something to do, lol

10G
16th April 2019, 03:08 PM
Post me the template and Ill make you a bracket that wont break.
I have a folder and drill press, give me something to do, lol

If you're looking for something to do, I'm after a ladder for the small rear door of my Y61.

threedogs
16th April 2019, 03:41 PM
If you're looking for something to do, I'm after a ladder for the small rear door of my Y61.

Not that I couldnt make one but Id be on my feet for too long,
the bracket I can sit on my stool and fashion it sitting down.
thanks for the offer

threedogs
18th April 2019, 02:28 PM
I just can't justify the price of the optimas etc for his much I use them so the century/Repco one will just have to do for now.

For the price I paid you would have brought one as well, not saying they are the best battery I'd
buy lithion if they were cheaper, best price i saw was $600, light weight last maybe 10yrs or more.
it was one of my better buys, good having friends in the 4x4 industry

mudnut
18th April 2019, 06:58 PM
Lots of wd40 and TLC might get it going:)

Plasnart
18th April 2019, 08:48 PM

Yeah maybe better off just replacing it I think! Would take a month of sundays and for an old low mount not worth the effort.

Winnie
18th April 2019, 09:19 PM
Yeah maybe better off just replacing it I think! Would take a month of sundays and for an old low mount not worth the effort.Time for a new high mount build!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Plasnart
18th April 2019, 11:20 PM
Time for a new high mount build!!

High mount = hard core = not me.

Low mount for me even if that needed these days.:)

PeeBee
19th April 2019, 12:36 PM

I agree, that all looks solid, good soaking wire brush, bit of emery, free everything up, light grease, repack gearbox, bet it works. I have rebuilt my brothers winch 4 times after he said it was dead, runs every time after its given some love.

mudnut
19th April 2019, 12:57 PM
To make sure that there was no more water ingress, I used silicon to build a good seal. I then placed a layer of oiled cling film over the silicon and and put the end covers on loosely. When the silicon was set I peeled off the film and rebuilt the winch. It has been submerged a few times and has not let a drop of moisture in.

Plasnart
19th April 2019, 01:20 PM
I agree, that all looks solid, good soaking wire brush, bit of emery, free everything up, light grease, repack gearbox, bet it works. I have rebuilt my brothers winch 4 times after he said it was dead, runs every time after its given some love.

Yeah gearbox is a mess but nothing wrong with it. Easily clean that out and re-grease.

How would you tackle the motor? I've never fixed/rebuilt an electric motor.

PeeBee
19th April 2019, 02:21 PM
I think you will find the surface rust just comes off with CRC or degreaser, Wash it off with water, then dry it out - if you leave it in the sun for a day or see if your oven can sit around 40 degC put it in there for an hour to drive the moisture out, I use a hot air gun and heat the armature - the cntral spinning bit up until it is warm to touch, do the same on the housing or body but be careful you dont heat it so far that the lacquer starts to degrade. Free up the brushes and then let it sit under cover for a little while, reassenble, should be fine. Look p on the nett for the process to electrically check a 12V winch motor using jumper leads to prove it actually rotates.

Plasnart
19th April 2019, 02:45 PM
I think you will find the surface rust just comes off with CRC or degreaser, Wash it off with water, then dry it out - if you leave it in the sun for a day or see if your oven can sit around 40 degC put it in there for an hour to drive the moisture out, I use a hot air gun and heat the armature - the cntral spinning bit up until it is warm to touch, do the same on the housing or body but be careful you dont heat it so far that the lacquer starts to degrade. Free up the brushes and then let it sit under cover for a little while, reassenble, should be fine. Look p on the nett for the process to electrically check a 12V winch motor using jumper leads to prove it actually rotates.

I found this guy yesterday. Really informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zzSC6uBdDw&list=WL&index=4&t=555s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zzSC6uBdDw&list=WL&index=4&t=555s

threedogs
19th April 2019, 04:12 PM
Yeah gearbox is a mess but nothing wrong with it. Easily clean that out and re-grease.

How would you tackle the motor? I've never fixed/rebuilt an electric motor.

Id be thinking of used some air to pressurize the winch before and water crossings
some use an air hor compressor and a needle valve to limit the amout of air you use.
Youll use very little pressure for it maybe 5psi tops, worth a thought I recond.

Plasnart
19th April 2019, 04:22 PM
Id be thinking of used some air to pressurize the winch before and water crossings
some use an air hor compressor and a needle valve to limit the amout of air you use.
Youll use very little pressure for it maybe 5psi tops, worth a thought I recond.

Yeah thats a good idea but a bit over technical for me.

threedogs
19th April 2019, 04:24 PM
Nah easy to set up really not hard at all.
Or pay $3000 for a new winch lol

Hodge
19th April 2019, 04:47 PM
Nah easy to set up really not hard at all.
Or pay $3000 for a new winch lol

$3000 !?

Some rally good winches can be had for under $1000. Runva & Carbon to name a few.

threedogs
19th April 2019, 04:54 PM
Hodge only paid $276 with a discount they had and they threw in a 6 pack cooler
Think I did ok,?

GQtdauto
26th May 2019, 06:15 PM
Finally got around to permanently mount the solar controller and after a lot of stuffing around looking for a spot I settled on this spot , made a bracket / base plate out of some steel and bolted it to an existing bracket that holds a relay (two bolts) .
Can only get to the two outside fixing points on the controller but it will end up with two small bolts and a small dob of silicone holding it in place .

Mc4by
26th May 2019, 07:01 PM
Small job, big result. I finally did the barn door extension for the left side.

GQtdauto
26th May 2019, 08:17 PM

Any pics ? Something I definitely need to do .

Mc4by
26th May 2019, 08:23 PM

I will put one up tomorrow morning. Bit dark right now.

Total time 5 minutes.

That's a Jamie Oliver 5 minutes. Doesn't include finding the grinder and socket.

Mc4by
27th May 2019, 03:34 PM

Opens the left side up a bit more.

Remove the small catch and replace with the longer one.

bazzaboy
28th May 2019, 02:44 PM
Finally got around to permanently mount the solar controller and after a lot of stuffing around looking for a spot I settled on this spot , made a bracket / base plate out of some steel and bolted it to an existing bracket that holds a relay (two bolts) .
Can only get to the two outside fixing points on the controller but it will end up with two small bolts and a small dob of silicone holding it in place .

I'm still procrastinating as to where to mount my controller, the same Victron unit. I considered mounting it in that same spot, but was a bit worried about the heat it generates, and the lack of quick access should I need to get to it fast. Maybe I worry too much, but mounting it on my cargo barrier is my preferred option at the moment.

jay see
28th May 2019, 08:41 PM
Any pics ? Something I definitely need to do .Should add a small ram for the win.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/373.jpg

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Mc4by
28th May 2019, 10:52 PM
Should add a small ram for the win.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/373.jpg

I had heard about this. Looks useful for angled parking.

What was the length of the strut?

jay see
28th May 2019, 11:28 PM
I had heard about this. Looks useful for angled parking.

What was the length of the strut?From memory about 300mm and 100nm.

I'm sure that the in is on here somewhere, maybe in my build thread.

jay see
1st June 2019, 06:40 PM
What was the length of the strut?

I opened the back today and it was staring me in the facehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/06/6.jpg

Mc4by
1st June 2019, 07:24 PM
Picked up the strut today.
Installing tomorrow.
Cheers for the heads up.

Mc4by
2nd June 2019, 03:27 PM
Bit darker than I realised due to the bright sunshine on the second day of winter.
Works a treat and is actually 'self-opening' now.

threedogs
2nd June 2019, 03:57 PM
MudRunnerTD yo Daz ive found those spacers we talked about a while back.
Just PM me your address if they are still required

Mc4by when I did mine I used rivnuts, great mod especially with the door extension

MudRunnerTD
2nd June 2019, 04:25 PM

Mc4by when I did mine I used rivnuts, great mod especially with the door extension

Hey 3Dogs, hope your well mate. Remind me what they were for mate? I can't recall?

Mc4by
2nd June 2019, 05:46 PM

threedogs yes, rivnuts were used in the install. Good mate had just bought a kit so we did both vehicles at once.

threedogs
3rd June 2019, 10:31 AM
Hey 3Dogs, hope your well mate. Remind me what they were for mate? I can't recall?

They were spacers for your rear bush hook,
As for how am I ,,,not the same person aged 10 yrs in 2
just sad as all the time, finally realising Davids gone

Mc4by
3rd June 2019, 11:08 AM
I opened the back today and it was staring me in the facehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/06/6.jpg

Something about that image has bothered me from the first look.
Couldn't quite place it though.
Then I saw it and now I can't unsee it :)
LENGHT

10G
3rd June 2019, 11:37 AM
Something about that image has bothered me from the first look.
Couldn't quite place it though.
Then I saw it and now I can't unsee it :)
LENGHT

What are you talking about mate? Is there something worng with it?

threedogs
3rd June 2019, 02:41 PM
Waiting on Raslarr to get back to me about a rear bar,
Are they still in business???

mudski
3rd June 2019, 10:01 PM
Waiting on Raslarr to get back to me about a rear bar,
Are they still in business???

You will be waiting a while John. They were notoriously slow before Milweld decided to stop making bars. Now they will be even slower.

threedogs
4th June 2019, 12:17 PM
You will be waiting a while John. They were notoriously slow before Milweld decided to stop making bars. Now they will be even slower.

Thought they would at least email me a reply.
They will lose a sale, or they dont care

threedogs
5th June 2019, 01:28 PM
Well Raslarr got back to me and I ordered my rear bar .
Its black with two pivots , one wheel carrier with that
auto door opening not in any hurry my mate will pick
it up from My Evelyn for me. that will tidy up the back
alot imo

10G
5th June 2019, 01:45 PM
Well Raslarr got back to me and I ordered my rear bar .
Its black with two pivots , one wheel carrier with that
auto door opening not in any hurry my mate will pick
it up from My Evelyn for me. that will tidy up the back
alot imo

That'll look great TD, you'll have to put some pics up when you get fitted.

threedogs
5th June 2019, 05:14 PM
That'll look great TD, you'll have to put some pics up when you get fitted.

Thanks Im looking forward to getting it fitted, just paid for it
Their lead time was for july, my mate at Outback 4wd will pick it up
for me. colour wise nothing fancy just black. now to wait,
will be throwing a bit of money at the patrol in the furture.
lots of small jobs to do. next will be new 285 BFG all terrains

Cremulator
8th June 2019, 02:03 PM
Giving the roof rack fixings a fresh coat of paint, new washers and stainless nylock nuts.78696
Cleaned up with the grinder and coating with an anti rust treatment, then lightly sanded before painting.
Added a 24mm rubber strip with adhesive tape from Clark rubber along the base to sit against the roof rails.

threedogs
8th June 2019, 02:45 PM
Cremulator if it was me Id be putting say some bike tube rubber so you have no metal to metal contact.

as for Raslarr they will be starting my bar on the 15th of July, suits me as Im in no hurry

Cremulator
8th June 2019, 08:48 PM
Cremulator if it was me Id be putting say some bike tube rubber so you have no metal to metal contact.
Yeh, bike tube rubber would work too if you glued that on.
I just used some of this EPDM414 supersoft self adhesive tape 24mm X 6mm, which looked like the same stuff that was on there originally.
Worked a treat.

threedogs
10th June 2019, 03:00 PM
Thinking of buying a stainless steel hi flow air filter housing from PatrolaPart
Winnie would I notice any difference. Im thinking being stainless it might trap heat
and introduce warm air into the intake. anyone??
Oh and how hard are they to fit, I hear you need to move the Aux battery

Bidja
10th June 2019, 03:37 PM
threedogs, I had one similar to this fitted to my GU CRD. Did work well, good for 200hp, but do not like the way the inlet flow is directed at 90° to the centre of the filter side face. Restriction point here and crap collects at this concentration point. Guess the box you are looking at is direct bolt in and has 3" inlet / outlet.

Other options available, do you have stock induction MAF/pipework from airbox to turbo and guess you have 3" Safari snorkel? Can make other suggestion but up to you mate.
John

threedogs
10th June 2019, 04:40 PM
Bidja I have this made up ready to fit, you can buy
VW Maf housings which are bigger in diameter.
Then again its only a 3ltr how fast can it go. It chugs
along pretty good as it is running 16psi.

Winnie
10th June 2019, 05:17 PM
Thinking of buying a stainless steel hi flow air filter housing from PatrolaPart
Winnie would I notice any difference. Im thinking being stainless it might trap heat
and introduce warm air into the intake. anyone??
Oh and how hard are they to fit, I hear you need to move the Aux batteryIf it's the patrol docta one then the only difference you would recognise would be negative... They force the air into one small area of the filter so it does not flow though the box at all.

Bidja
10th June 2019, 05:21 PM
threedogs Yep will work well and the stock MAF flanged pipe section (3") could have flange removed and coupled up to airbox outlet. Pic of what I had with round A/B (Fabwitz Industries) and what I have now(preferred_with 9" K&N pod) and now breaths so well. Few other CRD upgrades (130 rwkw/520N-m @ 26psi).

Guess you will use 90 degree bend from snorkel to airbox thru inner guard.

Also, In both my builds, there was no need to move auxiliary battery.

Bidja
10th June 2019, 09:41 PM
threedogs Worth checking this out mate_good flow. I currently use this airbox ($365 posted) that uses a K&N 9" pod filter_KNRE-0870 (approx $100).
Box comes in two lengths 300mm (ZD) and 340mm (TD42), I use the TD box but needed to cut 15mm off the GU radiator shroud. Does them with 4 or 3 inch dia ends. ZD box just drops straight in.
They have good clearance (30 & 50mm respectively) from the box inlet end face to the base of the pod filter and this provides for very good air distribution around entire filter element.

A boiler maker on FB ZD Warriors makes them and are good quality. Uses nutserts in body to secure see thru lid.

mudski
10th June 2019, 10:30 PM
Bought a Chinese made power window switch six weeks ago and it finally arrived. 6 bux landed! What could go wrong? I fit it. I test the switch. It works. Then I test it again using the master switch. Pull up on the master switch, and the window goes down, push down on the switch and the window goes up. Hmm...

Yeti's Beast
10th June 2019, 11:08 PM
Bought a Chinese made power window switch six weeks ago and it finally arrived. 6 bux landed! What could go wrong? I fit it. I test the switch. It works. Then I test it again using the master switch. Pull up on the master switch, and the window goes down, push down on the switch and the window goes up. Hmm...

Not made for the land down under
If it were in China it would work ok

Proud BTrol Owner
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bidja
10th June 2019, 11:21 PM
Not made for the land down under
If it were in China it would work ok

Proud BTrol Owner

mudski yeah, I also thinking it was a northern hemisphere thingo.

threedogs
15th June 2019, 06:33 PM
Bidja Im liking that alot. throwing a few $$$ at the Patrol in the coming months.
EDIT just realised I dont have any social media platforms so thats knocked it on the head, but I do like that one very muck\h
Price seems right as well Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bidja
15th June 2019, 07:06 PM
Bidja Im liking that alot. throwing a few $$$ at the Patrol in the coming months.

IMO the airbox is of good design. As I mentioned earlier your duct assy from airbox to turbo would fit up well. Only need 3" x 90° bend to connect up to A/box and possible adjust for length.

If you did not want to open up entry thru inner guard panel, the A/box can be supplied with 3" spigots. I know of a TD42 (4" inlet/outlet), same as mine for sale never used about $100 savings. But 3" (inlet/outlet) might be easier and suit you. Check out:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?43955-Install-Upgrade-to-4-quot-Snorkel-(recessed)-and-new-Pod-Air-Box

John

Bidja
15th June 2019, 09:42 PM
EDIT just realised I dont have any social media platforms so thats knocked it on the head, but I do like that one very muck\h
Price seems right as well Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

John if you like, I could get in touch with the bloke that makes them and get an email address for you?

Would PM you the details.

0-TJ-0
16th June 2019, 04:57 AM
IMO the airbox is of good design. As I mentioned earlier your duct assy from airbox to turbo would fit up well. Only need 3" x 90° bend to connect up to A/box and possible adjust for length.

If you did not want to open up entry thru inner guard panel, the A/box can be supplied with 3" spigots. I know of a TD42 (4" inlet/outlet), same as mine for sale never used about $100 savings. But 3" (inlet/outlet) might be easier and suit you. Check out:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?43955-Install-Upgrade-to-4-quot-Snorkel-(recessed)-and-new-Pod-Air-Box

John

One going cheap you say? You have my ears...

Bidja
16th June 2019, 11:55 AM
0-TJ-0 Just spent last hr looking thru posts for this air box and cannot find it. It was a single post on this forum, the guy stating he had one for sale as he was now going a different direction...Maybe throw up a post.

0-TJ-0
16th June 2019, 06:49 PM
Bidja no dramas. Thanks for the effort!

mudski
18th June 2019, 09:45 PM
Roof rack off again. Patrol back in the garage. Again.
I got some funky noise in the front diff when in 4wd. Kinda sounds like the copper air line in the front diff for the locker is touching the crown wheel gears. Noise goes when not in 4wd.

Yeti's Beast
18th June 2019, 09:49 PM
Roof rack off again. Patrol back in the garage. Again.
I got some funky noise in the front diff when in 4wd. Kinda sounds like the copper air line in the front diff for the locker is touching the crown wheel gears. Noise goes when not in 4wd.

I see BT50 ‘s are on special this month [emoji1787]

Proud BTrol Owner

mudski
18th June 2019, 09:57 PM
I see BT50 ‘s are on special this month [emoji1787]

Proud BTrol Owner

Fuck no! I'd rather carve my own eyes out with a butter knife than own a BT50.

Yeti's Beast
18th June 2019, 09:59 PM
Fuck no! I'd rather carve my own eyes out with a butter knife than own a BT50.

Lol
I’m trying to think what your come back was last time I said that. Something to do with your penis lol

Proud BTrol Owner

mudski
18th June 2019, 10:04 PM
Lol
I’m trying to think what your come back was last time I said that. Something to do with your penis lol

Proud BTrol Owner

Haha! Probably masturbate with a cheese grater or something.

Yeti's Beast
18th June 2019, 10:06 PM
Haha! Probably masturbate with a cheese grater or something.

That’s it !!
But if you owned a BT, you would be ......
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/06/110.jpg

Proud BTrol Owner

mudski
18th June 2019, 10:12 PM
That’s it !!
But if you owned a BT, you would be ......
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/06/110.jpg

Proud BTrol Owner

No thanks. I'll keep fixing my Patrol. If the time comes for me to sell my Patrol. I will just buy another Patrol. Or a 200. Lol.

Yeti's Beast
21st June 2019, 10:51 AM
This is a test , please ignore. Tappa has been playing up for me today.
Just want to see if I can post something.

Proud BTrol Owner

mudski
21st June 2019, 09:08 PM
Re oiled the trolley jack, now it works. So the fun begins. 78772

threedogs
24th June 2019, 01:50 PM
Went for a drive in a GU 4.5 o 37s and 4" lift with 65% reduction gears,
WOW 3rd gear @ 3000rpm equalled 10 KPH the 4.5 was a manual.
Low 1st was insanely slow

rusty_nail
24th June 2019, 07:25 PM
Bought a new motor and gearbox for it. Also going to drive said motor and gearbox for 12 months till I have everything elsehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/06/128.jpg

Winnie
24th June 2019, 07:51 PM
Bought a new motor and gearbox for it. Also going to drive said motor and gearbox for 12 months till I have everything elsehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/06/128.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkThat's awesome Nicco! I thought you said the Adventura wasn't a suitable donor?

rusty_nail
24th June 2019, 08:03 PM
That's awesome Nicco! I thought you said the Adventura wasn't a suitable donor?

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkYeah George said gearbox wouldn't work, but we did some more digging, it has the 4l60e gearbox but with a transfer case bolted on the back. Which is the same as every ss commodore in that era minus the transfer case. Haven't driven it far yet, it feels very Toey though, going to be hard to drive it reservedly lol. This was the right price and condition to hey me 12 months, essentially I paid an extra 1500 bucks for a car I can drive, rather than 2-2500 for a wreck where motor and gearbox are only things useable. Also not being a rwd makes me feel more confident it hasn't been used as a thrash wagon.

mudski
24th June 2019, 09:46 PM

Ooh! Next donk party coming up!

juzzs8
1st July 2019, 01:36 PM
Few weeks ago now, but finally got some 33s on 16’ sunnies, instead of the 31s on 17’ patrol rims.
Went on holidays and came back to 2 punctures, so got online for some 2nd hand 33’s. I personally like the look better!! Only $700 for the 5! Will do the trick for now!!

Also diff breathers arrive in the mail tomorrow, so kind of looking forward to fitting them this week!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/07/1.jpg

Brissieboy
1st July 2019, 05:53 PM
Started cleaning it after returning from the Cape last night. It was a lot more fun getting it dirty than it is getting it clean again - that red dust gets everywhere and is not easy to get rid of.

AB
1st July 2019, 08:55 PM
Walk outside and noticed both bonnets are up, Patrol life ;)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/07/5.jpg

mudski
1st July 2019, 09:02 PM
Walk outside and noticed both bonnets are up, Patrol life ;)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/07/5.jpg

Well you need something to look at whilst leaning against the bar.

GQtdauto
1st July 2019, 10:08 PM
Drove it here

MB
1st July 2019, 11:07 PM
You’re a prick Rob mate, safe happy travels, very cold jealous:-)

GQtdauto
8th July 2019, 06:34 PM
Only went as far as north pool MB , my god if you like yabbies this is the place to catch them .
I was getting about thirty or more per half hour .

MB
8th July 2019, 08:16 PM
Delicious mate, glad you’re both traveling safe & well!
7 minutes maximum in super boiling salted water then plunged straight into salted ice water[emoji106] Probably not too much access to ice out there though :-)

Mc4by
9th July 2019, 12:05 AM
Routine inspection under the bonnet and I noticed an airbox lid clip was missing.
Ordered a few spares from patrolapart and feel better about crossing rivers now.

mudnut
9th July 2019, 11:38 AM
Routine inspection under the bonnet and I noticed an airbox lid clip was missing.
Ordered a few spares from patrolapart and feel better about crossing rivers now.

Had that problem with the Falcon. I decided to check under the filter and found a bit of sand in the airbox! OUCH!!!

Mc4by
9th July 2019, 03:33 PM
Had that problem with the Falcon. I decided to check under the filter and found a bit of sand in the airbox! OUCH!!!

That is a good reminder. I just attached the new clip. I haven't pulled the lid to see what went in first...

MB
15th July 2019, 11:46 AM
Slippery when wet, had to turf out Mrs MB’s old KM2’s and KM3 rubber her up for the rest of snowy winter[emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/07/96.jpg

Sprock
16th July 2019, 08:21 PM
Well after nearly 4yrs putting it on the back burner i’ve finally finished fitting up the Carter lift pump , had the pics / detailed instructions off Fletchs’ page for nearly 4 yrs to the day , had the relays / wiring done for nearly 18mths & FINALLY today i plumbed it all up . happy days.

Sprock
16th July 2019, 08:23 PM
how much for the KM3s if you don’t mind me asking ? the 33” Kumho MT51s i run are about $330 ( from memory )

MB
17th July 2019, 05:37 AM
$359 mate from Fast Freddies Healesville as our usual Performance Lilydale has closed down now. Nearly went the Nitto TrailGrappler M/T’s $20 cheaper, they looked and felt great and some good praises on here for them too!

Rossco
17th July 2019, 05:59 AM
Nice one Markie have to say very impressed with my KM3s so far very smooth on the road and performed really well in the mud up Ellis track, only wish they still had the white lettering, maybe that's the way of the future. .

AB
17th July 2019, 06:27 AM
Tried fixing these bloody HID headlights last night but no joy.

The RHS light is gone and the LHS sometimes works. Originally it was the relay that popped so put a new one but no joy.

I can't see any visual damage of wires and tried earthing to battery and still no luck.

I am actually now thinking it might be a low quality ballast but thats about where my electrical skills stop.

Tempted to just go back to the original OEM lights as I was driving home at night the other week and both lights went out which made for an interesting drive flicking on the light bar when there were no cars.

Sprock
17th July 2019, 09:10 AM
👍🏻 MB good deal

Sprock
17th July 2019, 09:13 AM
bloody HID AB , we’ve all gone away from them on the trucks because even the good 1s have dramas & as you say - headlights going out in the dark is not much fun , i thought as the grand Poobah you’d just hold your hand out the window & create some sort of mythical orb to light your way home ?

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2019, 09:36 AM
how much for the KM3s if you don’t mind me asking ? the 33” Kumho MT51s i run are about $330 ( from memory )

$359 mate from Fast Freddies Healesville as our usual Performance Lilydale has closed down now. Nearly went the Nitto TrailGrappler M/T’s $20 cheaper, they looked and felt great and some good praises on here for them too!

I just got a set of KM2s fitted for $300 a tyre and the KM3s where another $100 a tyre at the same place so was happy to stick with the KM2s. I had a great run out of them and will be happy running them again. I got mine from Huntmen Products in Hallem. White writing too for the win.

MB
17th July 2019, 08:46 PM
That’s gold for $300pc good old KM2’s Daz mate! Did ask Fred if he could source 4x them to match her freshish still spare 5th KM2 but local stocks were all but honestly checked—gone now!
Honestly, I was so close to converting to Jap/Toyo/Nitto but Fred did agree somewhat in my faithfulness at least for our local regions usage.
A good tyre bloke should ask those tough caring questions [emoji106][emoji106]

mudnut
26th July 2019, 04:32 PM
Added a second circuit breaker so there is one for each of the low beam headlights. Also tidied up the relay wiring.

threedogs
27th July 2019, 07:34 PM

The RHS light is gone and the LHS sometimes works. Originally it was the relay that popped so put a new one but no joy.

I can't see any visual damage of wires and tried earthing to battery and still no luck.

I am actually now thinking it might be a low quality ballast but thats about where my electrical skills stop.

Tempted to just go back to the original OEM lights as I was driving home at night the other week and both lights went out which made for an interesting drive flicking on the light bar when there were no cars.
I have heaps of hid lights and ballasts if you need them
try swapping balast over, might get a different response

Sprock
3rd August 2019, 12:28 AM
had consistent eng light / limp mode after 5 secs of taking off - not overboost as it wasn’t going over 16psi , but i checked all boost hoses & clamps anyway , tried 3 other MAFs off other vehicles that were running fine but still same problem , fitted brand new genuine MAF but no change , disconnected MAP sensor thinking it may have been playing up & falsly giving overboost reading causing limp mode - no change , i thought tank breather may have been blocked & creating a vacuum in the tank so when it happened i pulled up & opened the fuel cap but no air / suction was evident - fitted a better tank breather anyway because the standard set up is a joke . I’d had this issue years ago when i bought it & turned out to be a blockage in the filter housing so i’d replaced but thought it might’ve happened again so i bypassed the filter & plumbed the fuel line direct into the injector pump - not ideal i know but i was getting desperate - but no change. i’d fitted a carter lift pump & all new fuel lines & clamps a few weeks ago ( issue was there prior to this ) so didn’t think there was an issue there , anyway i plumbed it back through the filter housing & put a bit of clear hose from the filter to the injector pump & WALAA !!! air bubbles in the fuel . Now as the problem was there prior to replacing all fuel lines i hadn’t thought the problem was there until i saw the air in the clear hose . Anyway i removed all the new lines & wiped clean all the barbed fittings with a rag then refitted them all & NO MORE AIR BUBBLES !!! , anyway the eng light / limp was still there 😤😤😤 , i loosened the bolt on the return line & ran the lift pump for a few mins to bleed any air out , went for a drive & 5 secs on came eng light & limp mode 😤😤😤 anyway i drive it around & turned it off then started it & drove around again about 3 or 4 times & bugger me it came good . un f@#kn believable. i’ve done about 200kms today since & touch wood no dramas yet . So at this stage i’m assuming there was air getting in the fuel somewhere & after i replaced the fuel lines thought it mustn’t have been that & was resigned to the fact the IP must be rooted but after i did everything else i put the clear line on it showed that was the problem . how’s that for a mini series explanation.

Sprock
3rd August 2019, 12:31 AM
after i typed all that it said ‘ post quick reply’ which didn’t seem appropriate but there wasn’t a ‘post long winded description ‘ button haha

MB
3rd August 2019, 12:35 AM
Bidja please mate!!

MB
3rd August 2019, 01:02 AM
Frustrating stuff mate! Had the worlds tinniest fuel filter hole years back on a TD42 that only sucked in at T intersection idles after hot highway long flogging stretches. Took a dusty dribble spot to find that prick :-)

mudnut
3rd August 2019, 11:41 AM
Had the battery spew acid all over the tray, body and chassis. Washed it all down 3 times with hot water and bicarb to get it all neutralized . Scraped all the crud off and sprayed fish oil on the affected areas. I spoke to the paint professionals, and they recommended getting it all paint stripped and sand blasted, but it will have to wait until funds permit.

I am pretty confident the fish oil will be OK as I cleaned and sprayed some on the tray in the first couple of weeks of getting the vehicle back in 2012. It was still in pretty good nick after all that time.

PeeBee
3rd August 2019, 09:29 PM
Craig, don't worry about it a further second. You have aggressively diluted, then neutralised and finally sealed the active surface from oxidation. You will be OK, Don't go the blast and repaint, simply not needed. Once the fish oil has dried up, a good undercoat then top coats - all good. I work in a heavy industrial acid plant and know a bit about corrosion and protection.

Avo
3rd August 2019, 09:39 PM

Tempted to just go back to the original OEM lights as I was driving home at night the other week and both lights went out which made for an interesting drive flicking on the light bar when there were no cars.Have you thought about using candles

Avo
3rd August 2019, 09:41 PM
after i typed all that it said ‘ post quick reply’ which didn’t seem appropriate but there wasn’t a ‘post long winded description ‘ button hahaBwhaaaa you ijiot

10G
5th August 2019, 10:26 AM
Reconnected the rear anti sway bar and stiffened up the front shocks. Doesn't feel like a boat in a high sea anymore :-)

Jimmyboyjr4
5th August 2019, 01:27 PM
Finally got around to installing my dual battery kit in the Maverick.

Highly recommend the Red Arc SBI12KIT, quick to install and relatively easy directions to follow. However, make sure you hit up Jaycar or something and have some lugs and crimpers to cut the cable to the right lengths.

Now for the hard part though, finding a way to mount a wooden base for my fridge slide without drilling extra holes in the wagon.

mudski
5th August 2019, 08:39 PM
This morning I moved the Patrol to its usual parking spot at home, I flicked the switch for the rear flood light and my intercooler fan turned on as well. Hmmm. Another gremlin to attend too....

MB
5th August 2019, 09:22 PM
Mugwai’s versus Gremlins aftermarket guilty for sure me too Mudski mate!
“Never after midnight play with 12v”

MB
5th August 2019, 09:35 PM
Finally got around to installing my dual battery kit in the Maverick.

Highly recommend the Red Arc SBI12KIT, quick to install and relatively easy directions to follow. However, make sure you hit up Jaycar or something and have some lugs and crimpers to cut the cable to the right lengths.

Now for the hard part though, finding a way to mount a wooden base for my fridge slide without drilling extra holes in the wagon.

Loving Redarc owned gear too over the years Jimmy mate!
Please don’t drill holes in your floor, there is bolts in there to carefully template by oneself ply too and double back or screw down to your new ever changing wood base until fully happy [emoji106][emoji106]

mudski
5th August 2019, 09:46 PM
Mugwai’s versus Gremlins aftermarket guilty for sure me too Mudski mate!
“Never after midnight play with 12v”

Im always asleep before midnight. Or drunk. Then asleep.

Jimmyboyjr4
5th August 2019, 10:59 PM
MB Don't worry, mate. I drilled one hole for my dual battery tray, and that was painful enough - not doing that again unless absolutely necessary.

I've already worked out enough holes to suffice, but I'll get the carpet up in a few days and find some more to make it fully secure.

MB
6th August 2019, 12:09 AM
Great to hear mate[emoji106]
Many a Texscrewburglar snooping around these traps [emoji107][emoji107] :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/34.jpg

Winnie
12th August 2019, 05:41 PM
Not today but over the weekend, installed the new GME XRS radio and extension speaker. Really impressed with the radio so far, it's got some awesome features and sound is much clearer than the old uniden I pulled out.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/59.jpg

MB
12th August 2019, 09:13 PM
Really nice work Chrisso mate! Does look like the perfect GQ speaker position for all onboard to hear clearly [emoji106][emoji106]
More than ever now we’ll have to mind our Ps & Qs with little backseat ears soaking up radio chatter :-)

mudski
13th August 2019, 10:04 PM
I think we'll need to install these speakers just to hear the whisper quite tones of MB over the radio.:wink:

MB
13th August 2019, 10:54 PM
Point taken :-)
Time to upgrade too & maybe copy Chrisso’s top new setup[emoji106][emoji106]
CQ, FQ :-)

Winnie
13th August 2019, 11:58 PM
Perhaps worth looking at this portable version for your needs MB? Could share between the two fourbies easily.
https://www.gme.net.au/catalogue/fixed-mount-radios/xrs-connect/xrs-330cp.aspx

mudski
14th August 2019, 07:15 AM
Point taken :-)
Time to upgrade too & maybe copy Chrisso’s top new setup[emoji106][emoji106]
CQ, FQ :-)

Ha har my good friend, but I already have. Albeit the speaker is mounted lower than Chrisso’s.

Wine_maker
12th September 2019, 08:27 PM
Today I changed all body mount bushes.
It was a real porno show.

Wine_maker
13th September 2019, 01:56 AM
There should be a special kettle in the hell for an engineer, who designed a rear body bush mount place which placed between welded body panels. :mad:

mudski
13th September 2019, 08:22 AM
There should be a special kettle in the hell for an engineer, who designed a rear body bush mount place which placed between welded body panels. :mad:

It was the same as the GU rear mounts. Until I realised there is another two, hidden, mounts attached to a small cross member just above the rear diff, which were stopping me from raising the rear of the body up high enough.

tryan277
14th September 2019, 08:31 PM
Changed out the rear shocks. One was weeping oil so one in both in.
Keep the "good"one just in case......
Unfortunately they were just outside the 3 year warranty. Had done around 10,000ks some of which were pretty hard. Also at extreme flex the springs would just touch the shocks.

Heading up to the VHC this week, Erica, Woods Point and Kevington,. Happy Days

Winnie
21st September 2019, 05:10 PM
During the week I bought a pair of Ford XR8 seats to go in the Patrol, pulled the Nissan seats out today and the drivers rail is broken in half... Has anybody repaired these or should I just find a replacement?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/09/119.jpg

jay see
22nd September 2019, 12:43 AM
Never heard of anyone repairing one before. Try a local wrecker, eBay or even fb there's always someone wrecking one.

MB
22nd September 2019, 09:17 AM
They look super comfy Chrisso mate!
Be sure to cover them with some good canvas or sheepskin though, we nearly got pinned for not having paperwork on aftermarket bolt in Bommodore ones.
In regards welding the broken rail, have done tractor ones before but don’t think I’d trust my skills on a 100kmph car rail fixup :-)

Winnie
22nd September 2019, 09:26 AM
Yeah I have a good set of covers to go on for sure! Will give the wreckers a buzz tomorrow and see if they have some good ones.

MB
22nd September 2019, 08:52 PM
About the same season time a few years ago Cuppa mate was searching for seat info. May I suggest Patrolapart sorted my ute drivers side slouch out with a freshy for quite cheap, chose off the rack in person :-)
Atop of standard comfort, visit a mobility type store for an unbelievable type cushion/s available these days [emoji106][emoji106]

mudski
22nd September 2019, 09:51 PM
Changed out the rear shocks. One was weeping oil so one in both in.
Keep the "good"one just in case......
Unfortunately they were just outside the 3 year warranty. Had done around 10,000ks some of which were pretty hard. Also at extreme flex the springs would just touch the shocks.

Heading up to the VHC this week, Erica, Woods Point and Kevington,. Happy Days

They look like they are upside down.

MB
22nd September 2019, 10:08 PM
Please do teach more good blokes!!

Hodge
23rd September 2019, 08:37 AM
Just dropped it off to dieseltec for a tickle.

0-TJ-0
23rd September 2019, 11:32 AM
Picked it up from the crash repairs. They replaced my homemade rear bar with a kaymar job. Definitely better built but it was sad to see all that hard work get thrown in the scrap metal bin.

(I have no idea why my pictures always upload sideways)

Cremulator
23rd September 2019, 01:21 PM
Just dropped it off to dieseltec for a tickle.I'll be listening to your results with interest as a tune is the next thing on my list.

Hodge
23rd September 2019, 07:42 PM
I'll be listening to your results with interest as a tune is the next thing on my list.

It was actually a de-tune of sorts mate. Last time the pump was touched, the fuel screw was turned up and its been chugging out black fog behind me big time, while getting nowhere. I had to have it fixed now as the new turbo and pump are now on the back burner.
Now it's running how it should be to the setup I've got. Andrew at dieseltec is a wizard at this black diesel magic stuff.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79361&stc=1

tryan277
23rd September 2019, 08:09 PM
They look like they are upside down.
Yes they could be, but I have no reference that says which way they should go. If they were RR style shocks then yes you would mount them the other way.

Cheers Trevor

mudski
23rd September 2019, 09:39 PM
Yes they could be, but I have no reference that says which way they should go. If they were RR style shocks then yes you would mount them the other way.

Cheers Trevor

Yeah not sure mate. Just going by pictures I've seen on the interwebs they were the other way. But could have been Remote Resi shocks...

Cremulator
27th September 2019, 08:20 PM
Replaced the seal in my air box. There was only a small piece of the old seal left in the lid and a few shall pieces in the air box. Very hard and brittle.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/09/149.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/09/150.jpg

MB
27th September 2019, 11:55 PM
Spot on thanks CL mate!
It’s the little bits & bobs smartly tought here good man that save the swamped out day!
Where from/how much please because I completely forgot about this Achilles’ heel on the old family factory snorkel truckster:-(

Cremulator
28th September 2019, 12:18 AM
Yeh I had no idea about this potential issue either. I just opened up the air box to inspect the filter and give it a clean and saw some large black fragments in there. Turned over the lid and found where they had come from. Basically the original seal feels like charcoal it was so old.

This is the one I bought from eBay – $21.90 + free postage.
NISSAN PATROL GU AIRBOX SEAL97to17 Diesels Engineered to Fit! ONE PIECE MOULDED! https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-GU-AIRBOX-SEAL97to17-Diesels-Engineered-to-Fit-ONE-PIECE-MOULDED-/123644772852

MB
28th September 2019, 12:27 AM
Legend mate! Took me a little while to log in to Ebay’s but on its family way now, Cheers [emoji106][emoji106]

Chimo
28th September 2019, 11:03 AM
Got the front seats reupholstered to re build the bolsters (side bits) and firm up the base foam. Lasted well from '89 to now so should be good for another 20 yrs or so.

Bidja
28th September 2019, 11:43 AM
Finished install of Cooma Diesel_WaterWatch inline water trap with alarm prior to install of new fuel pump.

https://www.waterindiesel.com.au/howwaterwatchworks

Hodge
28th September 2019, 06:17 PM
Finished install of Cooma Diesel_WaterWatch inline water trap with alarm prior to install of new fuel pump.

https://www.waterindiesel.com.au/howwaterwatchworks

Good job mate , very neat. And man thats a clean engine bay...

Bidja
28th September 2019, 06:54 PM
Good job mate , very neat. And man thats a clean engine bay...

Yeah it all went through its first ever car wash (10yrs now) the other day and also used engine degreaser to help track down fuel pump leak. I live down a 5 km dirt road but must say certainly avoid driving thru deep mud soaks as I don't see the point in it.
All it ever gets is a hose down with dam water or if lucky tank water, 3 times a year and never soap bucket. Dust must work as a is a good barrier...

Winnie
29th September 2019, 05:28 PM
Yeah I have a good set of covers to go on for sure! Will give the wreckers a buzz tomorrow and see if they have some good ones.

I ended up getting a 2nd hand seat rail in good condition today and finished bolting in the XR8 seats, WOW they are so super comfy compared to the Nissan seats. Long trips will be a breeze now without getting sore I reckon.
I used the Huracan adapter kit which was an awesome kit including all the paperwork to get the seats engineered.

stevemc181
29th September 2019, 07:42 PM
Finally got around to installing my Redarc towpro elite and a couple of Anderson’s on the rear bumper for trailer power and solar input. I knew there was a reason I’ve been putting it off, running cables shits me! ;)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/09/158.jpg

Bidja
4th October 2019, 11:32 AM
Putting more holes in my bonnet and having fun with it. Might be a bit cooler.

Hodge
4th October 2019, 02:48 PM
Steering wheel straight again. Fitted up new Superior adj. draglink.

Also after a few hours of bleeding knuckles , inventing new swear words while attempting to take off old tie rod ends. I finally caved in, lost my s*** and went to supercrap and bought a tool that done the job in 2 minutes !

Currently battling the panhard rod & the rain... Results so far Panhard & rain 5 - 0 Hodge.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79418&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79417&stc=1

patrolar
4th October 2019, 11:31 PM
Installed my new Diy Extended bump stops

MB
4th October 2019, 11:59 PM
:-) PMSL Legendary Good Bloke [emoji106][emoji106]

jay see
5th October 2019, 01:30 AM
Oil change today.
Thanks to super cheap sale I got enough oil and filters to do the Patrol, the clubsport and the boys Skoda all for $140.

Pretty happy with the old Patrol ATM doing 400-700 km every week and it just keeps potting along.

Softy
5th October 2019, 06:32 PM
Steering wheel straight again. Fitted up new Superior adj. draglink.

Also after a few hours of bleeding knuckles , inventing new swear words while attempting to take off old tie rod ends. I finally caved in, lost my s*** and went to supercrap and bought a tool that done the job in 2 minutes !

Currently battling the panhard rod & the rain... Results so far Panhard & rain 5 - 0 Hodge.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79418&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79417&stc=1

Hodge..

You shouldn't need that tool or the head fks.. Just give the knuckle a good belting with a DECENT hammer and it should drop out!

Hodge
5th October 2019, 08:34 PM
Hodge..

You shouldn't need that tool or the head fks.. Just give the knuckle a good belting with a DECENT hammer and it should drop out!

Softy
Any other car that would work no worries . [emoji106]

My Patrol ... Different story.
I've had some decent battles getting tow bar tongue out , diff drain plugs out, factory steps off.. .
Basically any iron thread on chassis ,suspension or driveline , I had to undo for the first time since owning it , was a all out "man vs. metal" war...

Previous owner used to dip the car into ocean fishing with no washing afterwards, hence the corrosion-weld took over on everything !

rusty_nail
5th October 2019, 08:47 PM
i rubbed abit of dirt off the bonnet in the morning dew. i will need to give it a wash sooner or later lol.

MB
6th October 2019, 04:58 PM
Test measured up our Esky (AKA Chilly Bin NZ) should hold a heap of tinnies :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/30.jpg

Rossco
6th October 2019, 05:25 PM
Wow that thing is massive. .

MB
6th October 2019, 05:42 PM
6” Lift & 42’s to come brother, will make a bandstand atop for Animal and the Gang [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/31.jpg

Bidja
6th October 2019, 05:48 PM
So U are diversifying and getting into jam transportation....

Winnie
6th October 2019, 06:54 PM
Very nice MB! Many cold tinnies up in the mountains for sure.

nissannewby
6th October 2019, 09:00 PM
Filled it with fuel and Washed it. Someone is interested enough they want to put a deposit on it. So the big girl might be gone this week 😔

Bidja
8th October 2019, 08:26 PM
Took her for a run up the mountains today, up to Lake Eucumbene to see how recent mods shaped up.
FMIC, new fuel pump, bonnet louvers and running Tillix boost controller along with VNT vac solenoid (Procharge stage 3 h/f turbo). Running a max boost 28psi.

Very responsive and hauled very well nom 140rwkw and 520N-m. Lugs and gains well from 1500rpm and holds on full load. 11.3 l/100 over 400ks.

EGTs & coolant temps were good and what a cold snap, rain, hail and snowed @ 1100m. Very pleased with run.

Was going to have a fish but too much storm activity for the graphite rod.

mudski
8th October 2019, 08:37 PM
Took her for a run up the mountains today, up to Lake Eucumbene to see how recent mods shaped up.
FMIC, new fuel pump, bonnet louvers and running Tillix boost controller along with VNT vac solenoid (Procharge stage 3 h/f turbo). Running a max boost 28psi.

Very responsive and hauled very well nom 140rwkw and 520N-m. Lugs and gains well from 1500rpm and holds on full load. 11.3 l/100 over 400ks.

EGTs & coolant temps were good and what a cold snap, rain, hail and snowed @ 1100m. Very pleased with run.

Was going to have a fish but too much storm activity for the graphite rod.

Sorry John, I haven't been on much lately due to being in the NT but why have you got a louvered plate on the bonnet instead of the scoop?

Bidja
8th October 2019, 09:23 PM
Sorry John, I haven't been on much lately due to being in the NT but why have you got a louvered plate on the bonnet instead of the scoop?

No worries Mark. Fitted a PDI FMIC (600x300x76mm):

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?45775-FMIC-Install-and-Suitable-Bull-Bar_08-GU-IV-CRD&p=792101#post792101

Do not need the large scoop and took the opportunity to have a rear facing louver panel made up, works well.

http://speedex.com.au/index.php?route=information/contact

Avo
8th October 2019, 09:59 PM
Got it back from the panel beaters,all bush pin stripping gone,2 right hand door skins and a new rear bumper
Getting the interior detailed on friday..
Going to be all shinny n shithttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/49.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/50.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/51.jpg

Clunk
10th October 2019, 03:09 PM
Got it back from the panel beaters,all bush pin stripping gone,2 right hand door skins and a new rear bumper
Getting the interior detailed on friday..
Going to be all shinny n shithttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/49.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/50.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/51.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkTime for a Y62 then?

10G
10th October 2019, 03:35 PM
Very nice ^^^

jay see
10th October 2019, 10:43 PM
Tried to start after soccer training last night, nothing dead. Got a jump to get home parked it and same thing this morning. Has a century battery was fitted Dec 2016. Nearly 3 years sounds about right I think, what are you guys using?

MB
11th October 2019, 05:59 AM
We got around 3 years too IIRC John mate from a Century in our diesel family wagon, not unhappy with that either.
Expensively upgraded to an Optima Yellow D27 pair for more longevity and fast charge now as I’ve always been super impressed with them on other setups.
We do seem to be getting really good reliability so far out of Bond Batteries on some work utes at nearly half the Optima price too I believe.
The Legends here have kindly recommended one day trying ‘CAT’ batteries direct from a factory outlet too, there’s one in Victoria mate just off the WRingRoad I believe?
https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/batteries?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-tST1LWS5QIVjjgrCh1e0QDAEAAYASAAEgI0IvD_BwE

Brissieboy
11th October 2019, 09:25 AM
Nearly 3 years sounds about right I think, what are you guys using?

With a new vehicle, batteries seem to last 4 to 5 years. Buy a new battery and you are lucky to get 3 years. Now why would that be?

mudski
11th October 2019, 11:51 AM
With a new vehicle, batteries seem to last 4 to 5 years. Buy a new battery and you are lucky to get 3 years. Now why would that be?

New alternator charging at its optimum over and older alternator, new starter motor not drawing as much current as an older starter would. I assume this would impact on battery condition to some level.

jay see
11th October 2019, 02:22 PM
Aren't the optima ones a deep cycle battery?

I've only got the winch and lights running to the cranker and they're only on with the engine.

mudnut
11th October 2019, 05:22 PM
How many times you start and stop the engine, ambient temperature, headlights and wipers on and what accessories you use during the trip are all contributing factors to battery life, especially on short trips. Most of the energy used for cranking the engine should be replenished within minutes of starting if the alternator / regulator are in good working order.

jay see
11th October 2019, 06:00 PM
How many times you start and stop the engine, ambient temperature, headlights and wipers on and what accessories you use during the trip are all contributing factors to battery life, especially on short trips. Most of the energy used for cranking the engine should be replenished within minutes of starting if the alternator / regulator are in good working order.How does one check the alternator?

MB
11th October 2019, 06:01 PM
Aren't the optima ones a deep cycle battery?

I've only got the winch and lights running to the cranker and they're only on with the engine.

Optima Reds are full crankers, Yellows and Marine Blues almost same are both crank & deep cycle was tought and found too.

jay see
11th October 2019, 06:06 PM
Optima Reds are full crankers, Yellows and Marine Blues almost same are both crank & deep cycle was tought and found too.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThank you good sir.

jay see
11th October 2019, 08:29 PM
Century 24 month warranty, red top 36 month.

My current dead century lasted 2 years 10 months.

So is the extra really worth it.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/127.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/128.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/129.jpg

MB
11th October 2019, 09:02 PM
Only nuffy thing I can say John mate is that Optima’s do truly handle my stupid abuse and recover amazingly well somehow?
I blame my utes sooky 240v elecy blanket through 12v inverter thingy in the mountains comfort overnight and recharged ready for winch work after only say a good hours next morning drive :-) [emoji106][emoji106]

EDIT: Meant ‘Yellow’ for overnight all rounder;-)

mudnut
11th October 2019, 09:12 PM
How does one check the alternator?

I just run the car with a multimeter set on dc 20-30 volts across the battery terminals. After a few minutes from starting the voltage volts should settle. On my old clunker the optimum voltage is around 14.3. (don't know what your models optimum voltage is but I assume it should be around that) Turn on your headlights, wipers, aircon on demist and radio on. The voltage should stay around that or drop only slightly.

jay see
11th October 2019, 09:47 PM
I just run the car with a multimeter set on dc 20-30 volts across the battery terminals. After a few minutes from starting the voltage volts should settle. On my old clunker the optimum voltage is around 14.3. (don't know what your models optimum voltage is but I assume it should be around that) Turn on your headlights, wipers, aircon on demist and radio on. The voltage should stay around that or drop only slightly.Cheers mudnut.

If I jump it and then run a mulitmeter over it that will work yeah?

mudnut
11th October 2019, 11:03 PM
Cheers mudnut.

If I jump it and then run a mulitmeter over it that will work yeah?

It would be better with a good battery. It depends on whether your stuffed battery is generally just had it, or dropped a cell. Have you checked the water levels or is it a maintenance free unit?

MB
11th October 2019, 11:48 PM
FWIW John mate:
Once your alternator is sorted good and proper please do consider ‘CAT’ batteries as was highly recommended to us all kindly here at one stage or another [emoji106][emoji106]
FWIW also :-):
Our experiences (MB- Mum & Dad’s Trols) with mating dual batteries in both do give Dad Zero grief now unlike before weekly maintenance headaches!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/130.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/131.jpg
As above earlier, there is only very slight differences on yellow versus blues I believe so would feel comfortable linking either but would be very unsure of linking red to either two?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/132.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/133.jpg

MB
12th October 2019, 01:14 AM
BTW: Don’t let the little D27 - 66AmpHours label worry yourselves! It is a genuinely true found number unlike many 100+AH wank labels that take a solid weeks recharging and lost within in a few easy hours etc... :-)

jay see
12th October 2019, 02:44 PM
Cheers gentleman.

With all lights and A/C on.

Seeing that the battery is almost 3 years old, I'm getting a new one tomorrow. Then I'll run the same test.

Reading up little bit tells me that other symptoms are dimming flickering lights, engine light, electrical issues and dead battery. Only got the dead battery.

https://youtu.be/0DQ9JQpCvHU

MB
12th October 2019, 04:22 PM
That looked like your multimeter quickly spiked to 17.69v at one stage there John mate?
I was under the belief that 14.8v was a safe max?
Might need an electrical member here to help out properly mate!

mudnut
12th October 2019, 05:09 PM
Were the probes held firmly for the whole time? That was a a big spike. Check that wires and connectors on the alt are all tight and in good nick. A higher voltage will cook a battery.

jay see
12th October 2019, 05:55 PM
OK.
I had my old aux battery (marine continuous use high cycle) on charge, terminals are on opposite sides but still be able to get it in security. Car fired up first shot did the same test with all lights on and AC. lowest reading was 13.2 with AC fan kicked in others wise 13.6 That was all done on idle. Took it you up to 1500 and the 13.2 jumped to 14 just meant to be.

This battery hasn't had much use, but I think it has dropped a cell. I'll give it a run over the next week or so and see how it goes.

Battery that I took out is showing 12.6v. With the indicator saying battery OK. I know that these things aren't accurate, but what has gone wrong with this battery. There was no warning signs..

Thanks guys really appreciate it.

mudnut
12th October 2019, 06:41 PM
A lot of automotive alternators need an initial 1500 rpm or there about to start charging properly.

jay see
13th October 2019, 10:45 AM
Door replacement today.

Any tips. Never had to remove doors or guards before. Best to leave hinges on the car and swap doors or unbolt hinges from body?

Pete49
13th October 2019, 01:39 PM
Replaced my drivers door hinge 2 weeks ago. Had to remove the guard which was easy enough but the rest a bit of a PITA. best done with a mate or helper. if just doing the doors the door hinge is easy to get to and the jobs a breeze.
Pete

MB
13th October 2019, 01:49 PM
Seem to remember GQTD42 Rob mate kindly posting up a neat trick using a large step ladder and ratchet straps holding his door up for him on his lonesome.

jay see
13th October 2019, 02:17 PM
Job done.
Only needed a extra pair of hands to plug it up to get the window down.

jay see
13th October 2019, 02:51 PM
Next is to sort out the suspension.

Currently it's got 2" flexi coils with 4" stocks. As per pics. Happy with these as it sits legal and has great flex.

Now I can't find anyone that does a flexi in 2". Found 3" flexi, but then I'll need to change to suit a 3" lift. Will it need drop boxes and adjustable panards what else?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/135.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/136.jpg

Winnie
13th October 2019, 04:04 PM
Why are you looking for new springs if you are happy with yours?

MB
13th October 2019, 04:53 PM
We sold an old work faithful DX leafy including my selfish beloved built tray/podder system from good old hard yakka times needed then[emoji106]
Dropped our pants some $5k ‘as is’ dealt but off to a very good home with most of the $$ goodies still attached for a proud Dad’s arrival and young sons easy rebirth if properly listening [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/137.jpg

jay see
13th October 2019, 06:05 PM
Why are you looking for new springs if you are happy with yours?

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkPretty sure that the front left hand has collapsed.. I've got about 30-40mm difference which is why I've got this horrible lean.

Hodge
13th October 2019, 07:50 PM
Finished greasing up slide pins just before as kindly suggested by mudski .
1 in 5 brake pedal presses creates a clunk up front.
Fingers crossed this resolves it .

jack
13th October 2019, 08:29 PM
Finished cleaning it, off for a tyre rotation and wheel balance tomorrow.
Service later in the week and ready for the next adventure.

Hodge
15th October 2019, 07:23 AM
Dropped the winch out for a clean & re-grease.
Soaked the gears etc in petrol for the day.

No wonder it didn't want to free spool...
How they jammed 6 litres of thick black grease in a 4 litre winch gearbox is beyond me.

mudnut
15th October 2019, 11:35 AM
Dropped the winch out for a clean & re-grease.
Soaked the gears etc in petrol for the day.

No wonder it didn't want to free spool...
How they jammed 6 litres of thick black grease in a 4 litre winch gearbox is beyond me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_nO8LSqTsY

10G
15th October 2019, 01:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_nO8LSqTsY

I can only think of rude things to say after watching that clip.

Hodge
17th October 2019, 05:05 PM
Just finished final cleanup of winch guts.
Looked like kilos and kilos and baby poo shoved inside and sealed ! Come out nice and clean after a bath in a blend of diesel and petrol.
Seals at motor end done a good job at keeping water out, mostly.
Inside of drum a bit rusty otherwise all good. Rotor in good nick.
Everything covered with Inox mx3 , and then all the cogs , regreased and ready to re-assemble.
Will bench test tomorrow, then good for another year.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/147.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/148.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/149.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/150.jpg

Baby Daddy
17th October 2019, 10:27 PM
Vehicle went off for its 4 inch exhaust today.
It then gets sent to tune shop
Hoping to pick it up on wednesday with 700rwhp 😎🤞 fingers crossed

10G
18th October 2019, 08:31 AM
Just finished final cleanup of winch guts.
Looked like kilos and kilos and baby poo shoved inside and sealed ! Come out nice and clean after a bath in a blend of diesel and petrol.
Seals at motor end done a good job at keeping water out, mostly.
Inside of drum a bit rusty otherwise all good. Rotor in good nick.
Everything covered with Inox mx3 , and then all the cogs , regreased and ready to re-assemble.
Will bench test tomorrow, then good for another year.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/147.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/148.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/149.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/150.jpg

Can you come over to my place and do mine? I'll make you a sandwich for lunch.

Hodge
18th October 2019, 05:51 PM
Can you come over to my place and do mine? I'll make you a sandwich for lunch.

As long as you're the one cleaning the old grease off and me doing the rest... :trink13:

Honestly, if you want a hand mate, or anybody else for that matter doing this, I'm more than happy to do it.
I've now done this with several winches.
They're all more or less the same concept.

Hodge
18th October 2019, 05:58 PM
Winch re-assembled, putting it back on the car tomorrow.

Motor sealed and back together. Time for a test.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79481&stc=1

MB
19th October 2019, 09:10 AM
Yeh I had no idea about this potential issue either. I just opened up the air box to inspect the filter and give it a clean and saw some large black fragments in there. Turned over the lid and found where they had come from. Basically the original seal feels like charcoal it was so old.

This is the one I bought from eBay – $21.90 + free postage.
NISSAN PATROL GU AIRBOX SEAL97to17 Diesels Engineered to Fit! ONE PIECE MOULDED! https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-GU-AIRBOX-SEAL97to17-Diesels-Engineered-to-Fit-ONE-PIECE-MOULDED-/123644772852

Thanks heaps again Cremulator mate!
Fitted our new ebay one just now after 18 years service on the oldy. Was becoming brittle too so really appreciate the heads up on your findings kindly shared mate!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/160.jpg
These ones are a different profile to the OEM folks so do take note of the little instructions paper shipped within.
“Flat side facing out”
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/161.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/162.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/163.jpg

Cremulator
19th October 2019, 01:57 PM
Good one @MB, it's a simple thing to check and replace if needed [emoji106]

10G
19th October 2019, 04:59 PM
As long as you're the one cleaning the old grease off and me doing the rest... :trink13:

Honestly, if you want a hand mate, or anybody else for that matter doing this, I'm more than happy to do it.
I've now done this with several winches.
They're all more or less the same concept.

Thanks for the kind offer Hodge, but I think the drive over may prove a bit far.

threedogs
19th October 2019, 09:11 PM
Havent washed the mighty GU for 3 yrs now , think its time to start to show it some love.
Ive had my new Raslarr rear bar sitting in the shop for a few months that and some new shoes and Im off
up the Murray as I said all welcome thats for sure

mudski
23rd October 2019, 06:03 PM
Having an arvo off the waters and healthy stuff. Coz it’s my birthday... having some chips and home brew.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/175.jpg

mudski
23rd October 2019, 06:24 PM
Wow! Really nice. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/176.jpg

Yeti's Beast
23rd October 2019, 06:50 PM
Happy birthday Mark

jay see
23rd October 2019, 08:52 PM
Have a good one mate. [emoji482]

Avo
23rd October 2019, 09:02 PM
Got the interior detailed,the outside was done last week or sohttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/177.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/178.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/179.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/180.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/181.jpg

Cremulator
24th October 2019, 04:31 PM
Working my way through glueing some rubber rectangle to my roof rack clamps. After threedogs made the suggestion (thank you) I found this rubber at Bunnings and it fits perfectly.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/183.jpg
Old one on the left, new one on the right.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/184.jpg
I made a simple wooden jig that I just clamp it on to with some Sika 227.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/185.jpg

MB
5th November 2019, 06:21 PM
The old girl finally shed a few needed Titan drawer GVM pounds!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/41.jpg
Down to 1psi on coil bags now and scored a 1” lift :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/42.jpg
Off to Calder Park Thunderdome tomorrow to see if we can smash a Dodge Demon :-)

MB
5th November 2019, 07:01 PM
Crikey, that extra 1” ladder lift makes easy access to betterer knock off quick brewski platforms :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/43.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/44.jpg

MB
5th November 2019, 07:26 PM
Makes one wonder, how many new yuppies tree changing are telescopically ready for the hills top performances :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/45.jpg

Hodge
5th November 2019, 07:45 PM
The old girl finally shed a few needed Titan drawer GVM pounds!

Well done good Mark ! [emoji106][emoji106]

I have long wanted to ditch those draws. 80ish kg of space wasted could be better utilised IMO.
I'm somewhat commited as my aux powerhouse is there with a shortened draw. Something I'd have to re-engineer somewhere else...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/46.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/47.jpg

MB
5th November 2019, 07:58 PM
Don’t get me wrong Hodgey old mate, they are relatively tough and have served our needs for some 5++ cheap as chips paddock years for tools too in reality needs.
Our time for a proper family trip again and GVM legalities learnt here are of personal serious concern.
World’s gone a bit soft I agree by 1kg but our Mansfield boys know them iPaddy ropes in hand too good now :-)

MudRunnerTD
5th November 2019, 10:05 PM
Well after 13 years the GUIV finally had a front sway bar again!!!

Ghee it has made a difference. Corners are much flatter.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/48.jpg

Thanks to RustyNails for the links. Winner mate. They are perfect length with drop boxes.

Note for those playing along at home though, I had a spare set of radius arms that I fitted new bushes too a few months ago and just swapped them out. Well bugger me, they are GQ arms and a GQ runs a smaller sway bar and this meant the mounts where smaller too and the hole spacing was way smaller. Nothing a die grinder didn't fix, ground out the bracket to the limit and made them fit....Just.

Also finally fitted the secondary fuel filter and catch can. Had these for over a year and after a number of hours spent trying to place them under the bonnet I had given up. Today I finally worked out a way.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/49.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/50.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/51.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/52.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/53.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/54.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/55.jpg

Nailed it! Very happy.

Lastly, spent a few hours trawling the manuals and Google trying to figure out a Tacho fault and engine light fault. Isolated the the Crank position sensor. This bloody thing!

Will call patrolapart and see if they sell second hand before blowing $300 damn it.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/56.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

PeeBee
6th November 2019, 06:19 AM
MudRunnerTD,, hey Darren, interested in the details around the bonnet gas struts. Any chance of some pics of the mounts, maybe some mount dimensions and a model number on the gas strut? Now is the perfect time for me to do this whilst clearing all the cables. Anything would help to save some precious time. thanks

Hodge
6th November 2019, 07:10 AM
Don’t get me wrong Hodgey old mate, they are relatively tough and have served our needs for some 5++ cheap as chips paddock years for tools too in reality needs.
Our time for a proper family trip again and GVM legalities learnt here are of personal serious concern.
World’s gone a bit soft I agree by 1kg but our Mansfield boys know them iPaddy ropes in hand too good now :-)

I'm hearing you all the way Marky! They're definitely the best bang for buck draws out there that are tough as nails.
But farkin' heavy. And that goes for most draw systems out there. I've never been a fan of it, tbh. I just threw a set in the GU cause I scored one for a carton.
I like the convenience. But constant GU weight bearing in the rear and losing out on so much room is a downfall.

These expedition tubs setups are starting to grow on me though.

mudski
6th November 2019, 07:34 AM
I'm hearing you all the way Marky! They're definitely the best bang for buck draws out there that are tough as nails.
But farkin' heavy. And that goes for most draw systems out there. I've never been a fan of it, tbh. I just threw a set in the GU cause I scored one for a carton.
I like the convenience. But constant GU weight bearing in the rear and losing out on so much room is a downfall.

I do agree these are heavy, but I love them. I keep all tools and parts in one draw and food in the other. Fridge is on top and caged, and while there little room left, its enough. But everything is safe and secure. And my wine and whiskey are bubble wrapped and stashed in the side pocket areas too! :D

FNQGU
6th November 2019, 07:36 AM

That's where the idea came from mate - the weight compromise of the drawer system and then not being able to throw kids bikes in the back of the wagon anymore. Now I have a big pod setup where it all comes out in ten mins and I can still take a load of rubbish to the dump. Yep, there are still compromises (especially with the vehicle itself), but the pod is what it is all about.

Rossco
6th November 2019, 08:57 AM
I do agree these are heavy, but I love them. I keep all tools and parts in one draw and food in the other. Fridge is on top and caged, and while there little room left, its enough. But everything is safe and secure. And my wine and whiskey are bubble wrapped and stashed in the side pocket areas too! :DYeah I'm another fan of drawers one of the best things done to 4by 4 sure, love em. Each to their own can be a very personal thing when it comes to packing lol. . .

Hodge
6th November 2019, 10:46 AM
I do agree these are heavy, but I love them. I keep all tools and parts in one draw and food in the other. Fridge is on top and caged, and while there little room left, its enough. But everything is safe and secure. And my wine and whiskey are bubble wrapped and stashed in the side pocket areas too! :D

Yeah I'm another fan of drawers one of the best things done to 4by 4 sure, love em. Each to their own can be a very personal thing when it comes to packing lol. . .

While I don't share your enthusiasm for the draws, I agree on their convenience if it suits the person. Especially for longer travel / trips. I loved my draws at the start, neat and tidy setup. Especially cause I got them basically for nothing. But as time went on they began annoying the s**** out of me. lol
Rossco nailed it, what works for others is a nuisance for the rest.

That's where the idea came from mate - the weight compromise of the drawer system and then not being able to throw kids bikes in the back of the wagon anymore. Now I have a big pod setup where it all comes out in ten mins and I can still take a load of rubbish to the dump. Yep, there are still compromises (especially with the vehicle itself), but the pod is what it is all about.

I've always used tubs, usually el cheapo bunnings junk, then later on upgraded to dearer longer lasting units. Call me a tubber if you will. lol Even after I got draws, I found my self packing food in a tub like I've always done. And at camp that food tub comes out and sits next to my table / cooking setup. This eliminates constantly going into the rear of the car, opening doors, draws, and rear bar swing away units ( another nuisance separate subject). If I'm staying for longer than a day / night I usually take the fridge out as well, especially in summer, so then none of it sits in a hot car. Easier access.
And being a daily driver, when I come home those tubs come out in minutes and sit in the garage ready for next time.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/57.jpg

10G
6th November 2019, 11:00 AM
Yep, I'm a tubber as well. I've never had drawers. The first thing I did when I got the Patrol was build a rack for the rear of it. I have one drawer. I like tubs as I just take the entire thing out when camping.

Here's an old pic, it's a bit fuller with stuff these days ...

Hodge
6th November 2019, 06:24 PM
Front wheel bearings got replaced.
And just finished diff oils. Cogbox and transfer tomorrow as I had enough for one day lol.

10G
7th November 2019, 08:44 AM
How often should you do your wheel bearings?? I got 165000 on the Patrol.

Hodge
7th November 2019, 10:24 AM

I'm no expert on this mate. Someone more confident on this may answer. I don't know what regular interval is recommended.
But I believe it depends on style, type of driving you put your vehicle through. If you're a constant mud, bog hole basher Id be looking at them more often for water ingress etc...
Mine got re-packed at 90,000 and apparently looked good. Yesterday they got done at 140,000 and still looked ok but i got them replaced anyway. Under $200 for timken or nsk and while its all apart its a no brainer.
I also checked mine for tightness very 10k or so...

Cuppa
7th November 2019, 10:13 PM

Bought my car at 153,000kms. Telstra records show that front bearings had been replaced at every 5000km service prior to me getting it! I suspect it was a case of the company (in Alice Springs) doing the service for Telstra making a bit extra - nothing was repaired, any issue - replacement parts fitted (including a brand new front diff & a radio just before Telstra got rid of it.

Checked & repacked them just after I bought it & again when I fitted new pads & discs at 166,000k.
Rechecked & repacked them again at 203,000 prior to commencing our current trip. They were still fine. However a wheel nut jammed on a stud (Chrome aftermarket 'blind studs I had fitted had chrome peel off inside, jamming the thread & making tightening or loosening impossible - result in a sheared off stud. Not impressed! Put original wheel nuts back on all round. Glad it happened at home. Have another full set of unused Huntsman chrome wheel nuts back home for all four wheels if anyone needs them & wants to take the risk!!

Rear bearings were replaced at 203k - one side had blued up a little & the other side was showing minimal evidence of the oil seal leaking. Had a workshop do that job. They are much bigger than the fronts, but get a harder life if they are in a heavy vehicle. AFAIK they were the originals from the factory.

I do carry a spare set of front bearings with us just in case, & once in a while check for looseness, but haven't found any yet. At 229k with much of the past 26k on rough dusty roads & a few water crossings I should probably do so again now whilst I have access to a concrete floor under cover. Have just added that task to my 230k service.

Checking & re-packing is a bit time consuming, mucky, but not difficult. Buy some replacements plus inner seals & put a day aside for the job. After cleaning all the old grease off & eyeing the bearings up for any obvious damage, I check the cups with a fingernail. Replace if *any* ridge is felt. Replace seals anyway once the old ones are disturbed. Chances are the bearings will be fine & can be repacked & replaced. If so you have a set of spares for touring (but get a couple more seals). If not, you have what you need to finish the job.

10G
8th November 2019, 08:34 AM
Bought my car at 153,000kms. Telstra records show that front bearings had been replaced at every 5000km service prior to me getting it! I suspect it was a case of the company (in Alice Springs) doing the service for Telstra making a bit extra - nothing was repaired, any issue - replacement parts fitted (including a brand new front diff & a radio just before Telstra got rid of it.

Checked & repacked them just after I bought it & again when I fitted new pads & discs at 166,000k.
Rechecked & repacked them again at 203,000 prior to commencing our current trip. They were still fine. However a wheel nut jammed on a stud (Chrome aftermarket 'blind studs I had fitted had chrome peel off inside, jamming the thread & making tightening or loosening impossible - result in a sheared off stud. Not impressed! Put original wheel nuts back on all round. Glad it happened at home. Have another full set of unused Huntsman chrome wheel nuts back home for all four wheels if anyone needs them & wants to take the risk!!

Rear bearings were replaced at 203k - one side had blued up a little & the other side was showing minimal evidence of the oil seal leaking. Had a workshop do that job. They are much bigger than the fronts, but get a harder life if they are in a heavy vehicle. AFAIK they were the originals from the factory.

I do carry a spare set of front bearings with us just in case, & once in a while check for looseness, but haven't found any yet. At 229k with much of the past 26k on rough dusty roads & a few water crossings I should probably do so again now whilst I have access to a concrete floor under cover. Have just added that task to my 230k service.

Checking & re-packing is a bit time consuming, mucky, but not difficult. Buy some replacements plus inner seals & put a day aside for the job. After cleaning all the old grease off & eyeing the bearings up for any obvious damage, I check the cups with a fingernail. Replace if *any* ridge is felt. Replace seals anyway once the old ones are disturbed. Chances are the bearings will be fine & can be repacked & replaced. If so you have a set of spares for touring (but get a couple more seals). If not, you have what you need to finish the job.

Thanks for the info Cuppa.

You fellas say you repack the bearings, but don't you have to remove the bearings to do that and aren't wheel bearings usually bloody hard to get off??? I've not looked at the Patrol bearings, but from the very little I've had experience with, I've had to whack new bearings on with a mallet in one case and in another we had to use an oxy to get some old ones off.

Cuppa
8th November 2019, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the info Cuppa.

You fellas say you repack the bearings, but don't you have to remove the bearings to do that and aren't wheel bearings usually bloody hard to get off??? I've not looked at the Patrol bearings, but from the very little I've had experience with, I've had to whack new bearings on with a mallet in one case and in another we had to use an oxy to get some old ones off.

When you repack the bearings you don't remove the 'cup', just the half with the rollers in it. No force required. Clean the cups in situ & then check. If OK just re-grease in situ.

You might find this video useful in regard to what to expect to find. GQ & GU hubs are basically the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt5jaIMhROE Video shows changing bearings, but if just repacking no driving out of the cups is required. If you do need to change bearings they should drive out with a drift fairly easily. Trick is to have things solidly on a couple of pieces to hardwood or similar to avoid 'bounce' when using the mallet. (Actually a club hammer with a couple of kilos in it is good - decisive blows, not wet lettuce taps) - bearing cup will come out with two or three blows if you move around the cup with each blow. I use a brass drift - less risk of damage to the bearing housing. Make sure the end of the drift is nice & square to avoid slipping off the edge of the cup. Something which would help the bloke in the video ....... once an old 'cup' has been removed it makes the perfect driver to put the new one in as he does (after lightly starting it with the hammer)..... but before doing that cut a slot through the wall of the old cup with an angle grinder. Works just the same but but makes removal once the new cup is fully home far easier, without risk of damaging the new cup in the process. If you have the disc laid on hardwood blocks either on a good solid bench, or a concrete floor, it will make the job easier over all, but also makes it easy to know when the new cup is fully home. You'll hear the tone change when knocking it in & it is as far as it will go.

I made my own special tool to remove the bearing retainer. But after a couple of uses bought the proper thing - much better & cheap. eg. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hub-Adjusting-Socket-Tool-suits-Nissan-Patrol-GQ-GU-Y61-Front-Wheel-Bearing-Nut/121502083585?fits=Model%3APatrol&epid=6019963961&hash=item1c4a16aa01:g:c8QAAOSwqr5duusm

The two little screws which hold the bearing retainer from unscrewing don't need overtightening, but I always use a bit of blue loctite threadlocker on them just to be sure.

A helper with clean hands to take photos at each stage of removal is handy, so you don't get your phone/camera covered in grease. Have plenty of rags handy & I like to wear some of those rubber gloves that supercheap, repco & the likes sell.

10G
8th November 2019, 11:26 AM
When you repack the bearings you don't remove the 'cup', just the half with the rollers in it. No force required. Clean the cups in situ & then check. If OK just re-grease in situ.

You might find this video useful in regard to what to expect to find. GQ & GU hubs are basically the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt5jaIMhROE Video shows changing bearings, but if just repacking no driving out of the cups is required. If you do need to change bearings they should drive out with a drift fairly easily. Trick is to have things solidly on a couple of pieces to hardwood or similar to avoid 'bounce' when using the mallet. (Actually a club hammer with a couple of kilos in it is good - decisive blows, not wet lettuce taps) - bearing cup will come out with two or three blows if you move around the cup with each blow. I use a brass drift - less risk of damage to the bearing housing. Make sure the end of the drift is nice & square to avoid slipping off the edge of the cup. Something which would help the bloke in the video ....... once an old 'cup' has been removed it makes the perfect driver to put the new one in as he does (after lightly starting it with the hammer)..... but before doing that cut a slot through the wall of the old cup with an angle grinder. Works just the same but but makes removal once the new cup is fully home far easier, without risk of damaging the new cup in the process. If you have the disc laid on hardwood blocks either on a good solid bench, or a concrete floor, it will make the job easier over all, but also makes it easy to know when the new cup is fully home. You'll hear the tone change when knocking it in & it is as far as it will go.

I made my own special tool to remove the bearing retainer. But after a couple of uses bought the proper thing - much better & cheap. eg. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hub-Adjusting-Socket-Tool-suits-Nissan-Patrol-GQ-GU-Y61-Front-Wheel-Bearing-Nut/121502083585?fits=Model%3APatrol&epid=6019963961&hash=item1c4a16aa01:g:c8QAAOSwqr5duusm

The two little screws which hold the bearing retainer from unscrewing don't need overtightening, but I always use a bit of blue loctite threadlocker on them just to be sure.

A helper with clean hands to take photos at each stage of removal is handy, so you don't get your phone/camera covered in grease. Have plenty of rags handy & I like to wear some of those rubber gloves that supercheap, repco & the likes sell.

Ahhhh, a picture or video, is worth a thousand words. Thanks Cuppa.

mudski
8th November 2019, 01:01 PM
Ahhhh, a picture or video, is worth a thousand words. Thanks Cuppa.

You will need to buy new hub seals if you are going to repack the bearings, as the hub seal needs to be removed to get to the inner race.