PDA

View Full Version : What did you do to your Patrol today!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Cuppa
23rd June 2017, 12:44 PM
Had a small awning made by a local bloke out of a larger tent awning I no longer have the tent for. Attached sailtrack to the top of the pod, mounted to a length of 60x60x3mm aluminium angle.
2.1m x 2m.
Awning can be used just with the vehicle, but pole eyelets are the same width as those on the awning of the RV3 Oztent so both can be used together using just two poles, giving a double sized awning around 4m x 2.1m (actually tent side is slightly wider at 2.3m).

72256 72253 72252

I also fitted a digital flow meter for our water supply. Beats taking the cap off the water tank & using a dip stick. Shows water flow whilst in use in litres per minute, plus total amount used, resettable to zero for each tank fill. Filled our tank & then emptied it to find it's useable capacity. Nominally the tank is 160 litres (based on dimensions). Useable capacity was 155 litres. Filled a 9 litre bucket to it's 9l mark & the meter read dead on 9 litres so I'm happy with it's accuracy, which is far better than the meters which have LEDs for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 & full tank.
Will even be able to know how much we use for different things. Not totally necessary but when going to 'dry' places it's nice to know how much we have left. A bargain at $41 plus a couple of fittings to add it into the water line. Basically a little tube with an internal impeller & a gauge. Runs on 2xAA batteries.

72257 72255

PeeBee
23rd June 2017, 01:16 PM
Fitted one of these. There are a number of good right-ups on them on Y-tube but got no responses from members on various forums I frequent. 30 day money back if your not happy with it, so I'll give it a go.

Bazzaboy, what do you use this for?

bazzaboy
23rd June 2017, 05:10 PM
It's a "plug-in" throttle controller for electronic throttles. Designed to adjust the throttle response. Apparently can eliminate the flat or slow spot throttle action. We'll see.

https://idriveaustralia.com.au/

4bye4
25th June 2017, 07:17 PM
Washed it and cleaned it. Found all the lost tools in the back. Granddaughter helped do the bits I can't reach.

Mc4by
27th June 2017, 03:41 PM
Washed it.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/266.jpg

How do I get my pics to be larger?

Plasnart
27th June 2017, 05:07 PM
Washed it.

How do I get my pics to be larger?

When you attach a picture from a URL, un-tick the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" box below where you enter the URL. When I do that my pics are bigger.

Mc4by
27th June 2017, 05:11 PM
I will give that a try, cheers Plasnart

foggs
28th June 2017, 02:25 PM
It's a "plug-in" throttle controller for electronic throttles. Designed to adjust the throttle response. Apparently can eliminate the flat or slow spot throttle action. We'll see.

https://idriveaustralia.com.au/

I got one a few weeks back, love it, very responsive.

Hilux man
29th June 2017, 01:52 PM
Anyone know what is would cost to convert a 2.8 td to a 4.2 td in a gu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaneparker
29th June 2017, 04:09 PM
Installed new intercooler after driving around for 2 years with it leaking. Learning a lot of stuff from this site and feeling more confident to tackle project myself. Does anyone know what kind of computer attachment will work on zd30 DI series 3 2004 and give boost?

Touses
29th June 2017, 04:13 PM
Installed new intercooler after driving around for 2 years with it leaking. Learning a lot of stuff from this site and feeling more confident to tackle project myself. Does anyone know what kind of computer attachment will work on zd30 DI series 3 2004 and give boost?

No idea of the puter attachment, but good to see you are navigating the forum with panache!:smile:

Stropp
29th June 2017, 08:54 PM
Had a new four terrain button clutch installed ready for the winter rigours

Sir Roofy
29th June 2017, 09:11 PM

Probably cheaper to just buy a 4.2 less head aches
and save money with no engineer's ticket

Hilux man
29th June 2017, 09:14 PM
Probably cheaper to just buy a 4.2 less head aches
and save money with no engineer's ticket

It's not for me roofy. It's for my boss. He is tossing up between a 4.2 or a ls1

mudski
29th June 2017, 09:23 PM
It's not for me roofy. It's for my boss. He is tossing up between a 4.2 or a ls1

LS1 will be cheaper if he wants the 4.2 to have some grunt. In stock form it aint much better than the RD28. But the LS you need an engineers, the TD you don't as it came out in that vehicle as an option.
Cost wise, I would say anywhere between 10 - 15k for the TD.

Hilux man
29th June 2017, 09:29 PM
LS1 will be cheaper if he wants the 4.2 to have some grunt. In stock form it aint much better than the RD28. But the LS you need an engineers, the TD you don't as it came out in that vehicle as an option.

Cheers for that mate

Plasnart
29th June 2017, 10:40 PM

Low down torque LS1 v TD42? Surely the 42? Want a grunter TD42, want a rocket LS1?

TD42 nuts the 2.8 for torque. Or have I misread your post Marko?

nissannewby
29th June 2017, 10:45 PM

I would allow a minimum of 15k for each conversion.

mudski
29th June 2017, 11:14 PM
Low down torque LS1 v TD42? Surely the 42? Want a grunter TD42, want a rocket LS1?

TD42 nuts the 2.8 for torque. Or have I misread your post Marko?

yeah prolly not the best exlainin'. Just got lazy. lol. The TD has more torque for sure but I recently drove a stock TD and a stock RD. There was SFA between the two when driving them. The TD had more in it but not a great deal more.

gubigfish
29th June 2017, 11:26 PM
Got her serviced

Plasnart
29th June 2017, 11:32 PM
yeah prolly not the best exlainin'. Just got lazy. lol. The TD has more torque for sure but I recently drove a stock TD and a stock RD. There was SFA between the two when driving them. The TD had more in it but not a great deal more.

Ok never driven a 2.8, but they dont have low torque like the 4.2. Technical tracks I've walked through in TD42 at idle very simply the smaller volumes have had to do at revs very difficult and messy, even dangerous sometimes. The 4.2 pulls like a teenager at 700rpm so in the context of OP all depends on end use. Bush, towing, highway performance, etc. I do get left behind on streets and easy tracks though! Horses for courses.

PeeBee
30th June 2017, 08:24 AM
Ok never driven a 2.8, but they dont have low torque like the 4.2. Technical tracks I've walked through in TD42 at idle very simply the smaller volumes have had to do at revs very difficult and messy, even dangerous sometimes. The 4.2 pulls like a teenager at 700rpm so in the context of OP all depends on end use. Bush, towing, highway performance, etc. I do get left behind on streets and easy tracks though! Horses for courses.

Agree Plassy, my 2.8TD was torque-less in all regards until about 3000rpm when the turbo came into effect. It was a good highway tourer, but a pain in the bush, even in low range - had to hit things too hard. I ended up fitting a Marks 85% reduction set to the transfer case - totally transformed it in the Vic high country, but ended up with a vehicle having a gear train too widely spaced - 4wd Hi range was essentially useless, and Lo was now very short - would have been a dud in sand for example.

I retained the same transfer case for the 6.5 conversion and its a really nice fit to be honest, crawls up/down anything at idle and high range has plenty of torque.

mudski
30th June 2017, 02:16 PM
Yeah I've only driven two TD's. Mine, which can have you grabbing for the jesus bar if I hit the go pedal too much, lol, or the stocky TD I drove. Which was as stock as they came. I was quite underwhelmed to be honest. Then I got in the RD, was slower than the TD for sure on the black top, but not by what I thought it would, or should have been. Maybe the TD I drove was tired? Dunno.
On the tracks though yeah I've seen an RD go at it, they do struggle there a bit hey.

garett
9th July 2017, 09:11 AM
changed the oil. swapped the spots for a bar,

johno90
9th July 2017, 09:50 AM
Pulled the manual box out to make way for the new auto box :D

PeeBee
9th July 2017, 10:42 AM
Swapped the fuel tank change over valve to a transfer pump so pump fuel from aux to main then draw from main to engine. New motor didnt like drawing from the aux. - unsure why but it appeared to starve. Dirty annoying little job, covered in diesel.

Rossco
9th July 2017, 07:07 PM
Swapped the fuel tank change over valve to a transfer pump so pump fuel from aux to main then draw from main to engine. New motor didnt like drawing from the aux. - unsure why but it appeared to starve. Dirty annoying little job, covered in diesel.
What did you used to have Phil? I had pollack switch and found it unreliable, went to the transfer pump setup and is much better. Liked the idea of switching but seemed to loose prime which was a PITA. . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

PeeBee
9th July 2017, 08:05 PM
What did you used to have Phil? I had pollack switch and found it unreliable, went to the transfer pump setup and is much better. Liked the idea of switching but seemed to loose prime which was a PITA. . .

I had one of those 12V 3 port valves - should really have been a 6 port but I was happy sending the return from the second tank back to the main and it seemed to work, but I think the discharge pipe from the aux. tank might be 1/4" whereas the rest of the system is 5/16". I never had a problem pulling out of the aux. with the old 2.8TD, but this guzzler lumbers a bit, so after cleaning out the lines a while ago and finding a partial blockage, thought I was home free - no, of course not. Engine still struggles pulling out of that tank, or more correctly the booster pump struggles supplying fuel at the right rate and pressure to the injector pump. Anyway, 3LPM transfer pump back to the rear tank, and all sweet, so now just waiting for the arrival of the fuel flowmeter system and whether I need to buy an oil well or not to keep this thing on the road! Indications initially re fuel consumption have been good, but very inaccurate.

Rossco, check PM pls.

Stropp
10th July 2017, 12:38 AM
Did a nice beach run from whitehills to myalup great weather today, just need to wash the underbody to get the sand out.

nissannewby
10th July 2017, 05:52 PM
Picked it up and brought it home....

lucus30
10th July 2017, 05:54 PM

Nice mate... I kinda want one too

Rossco
10th July 2017, 05:58 PM
Woah nice., nice colour too ☺

AB
10th July 2017, 06:05 PM
Nice one Matty, love the wheels ;)

Maxhead
10th July 2017, 06:09 PM
You wont need to mod this thing to go any better Matty, they just hammer ...well done

...........on the road

nissannewby
10th July 2017, 06:16 PM
You wont need to mod this thing to go any better Matty, they just hammer ...well done

...........on the road

Looking at a small mod to the exhaust to replace the centre muffler just to give a subtle v8 noise :)

Winnie
10th July 2017, 07:17 PM
Picked it up and brought it home....Very nice, it is the sex!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Stropp
10th July 2017, 08:35 PM
Well after seeing your post Matt I went out and looked at mine. I still love mine so I will keep her 😬

mudski
10th July 2017, 09:26 PM
Well after seeing your post Matt I went out and looked at mine. I still love mine so I will keep her 😬

Yeah me to, but I'd love to own one though...

mudski
10th July 2017, 09:29 PM
I finished wiring the low water sensor in today and started it up and drove it for the first time since the queens birthday long weekend. It felt good to get back behind the wheel of a Patrol.

tyler.atkinson
10th July 2017, 09:35 PM
bought it ahah

Sprock
10th July 2017, 11:08 PM
I can't see the pic attached to nissannewby post

nissannewby
10th July 2017, 11:42 PM
I can't see the pic attached to nissannewby post

Its a pic of our 2013 Y62 TI-L we picked up today.

nissannewby
10th July 2017, 11:44 PM

If you havent then dont go and drive one. So much car for your money. I have started reading the owners manual to make sure i know what does what lol

Sprock
11th July 2017, 12:03 AM
Nice work man good for you 👍🏼

Sprock
11th July 2017, 12:05 AM
Mate of mine has an XR6turbo & 1 of these Y62 Patrols smoked him off the lights - not once but twice !!! He got home & googled them to see why this just happened & rang me coughing & spluttering haha

mudnut
11th July 2017, 12:15 PM
Now go and get it dirty, Matt!!!

Clunk
11th July 2017, 12:50 PM
Nice one mate...... Not jealous at all ;)

nissannewby
11th July 2017, 10:14 PM
Now go and get it dirty, Matt!!!

Already planning a trip camping up the beach.

MudRunnerTD
26th July 2017, 10:17 PM
Already planning a trip camping up the beach.

Missed it completely. Don't generally read this thread much. Clearly I should have..... Well done bud.

BigRAWesty
29th July 2017, 05:49 PM
Just looking at brown davis..
Fit a 2" body lift and you can carry 252L of of fuel...
[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Or 210L if its standard height.....

PeeBee
29th July 2017, 06:07 PM
Fitted the fuel flowmeters and computer today, no correlation between the programming instructions and whats on the actual screen, completly different so a call to the vendor required to get it set up.

Removed the original Safari Snorkle and cut the hole for the new SS 4" unit. Its not a pretty outcome as the original hole cut by ARB is huge for reasons unknown, and the 3 off mounting holes, they are at least 22mm dia for m10 bolts - I understand they don't have time for fancy fitting up, but this is disgraceful to be honest. In fairness I guess you would never see them, but I can see the damn things now! I have fitted black rubber grommets and its acceptable, but the bigger hole under the 4" bend is going to be a panel beaters job I reckon. Quite a cavity below the elbow, makes me wonder how the likes of Patrol a part and Millweld sort this out.

PeeBee
29th July 2017, 06:08 PM
Just looking at brown davis..
Fit a 2" body lift and you can carry 252L of of fuel...

Or 210L if its standard height.....

I take it this is with two tanks? I have 220L on board already across 2 tanks, but lifting the body for the additional 30L wouldn't be justified I reckon for me.

BigRAWesty
29th July 2017, 06:18 PM
I take it this is with two tanks? I have 220L on board already across 2 tanks, but lifting the body for the additional 30L wouldn't be justified I reckon for me.Uea thats 2 tanks.
160 main and 90 sub for body lift.
140 main and 70 sub for standard..

I only have 150 atm in factory tanks (modded rear main to fit 110).
What tanks are you running to achieve 220L?

PeeBee
29th July 2017, 06:25 PM
Uea thats 2 tanks.
160 main and 90 sub for body lift.
140 main and 70 sub for standard..

I only have 150 atm in factory tanks (modded rear main to fit 110).
What tanks are you running to achieve 220L?

Both Brown Davis units, 147 rear and 75 Belly. Good tanks, were expensive at the time I bought them as the price has hardly gone up from 1997 till now, but saying that, they have been trouble free until I fitted the 6.5 and then had issues with the draw from the belly tank - its fitted with a 1/4" outlet hoes whilst the main is 5/16", and the motor starves, so have converted it to transfer fuel back to the main tank, problem fixed.

BigRAWesty
29th July 2017, 07:04 PM
Both Brown Davis units, 147 rear and 75 Belly. Good tanks, were expensive at the time I bought them as the price has hardly gone up from 1997 till now, but saying that, they have been trouble free until I fitted the 6.5 and then had issues with the draw from the belly tank - its fitted with a 1/4" outlet hoes whilst the main is 5/16", and the motor starves, so have converted it to transfer fuel back to the main tank, problem fixed.Yea they are made to keep the factory transfer setup..
Are the alloy plated sheet or just mild steel do you know?

PeeBee
29th July 2017, 07:11 PM
Yea they are made to keep the factory transfer setup..
Are the alloy plated sheet or just mild steel do you know?

Even back then, BD had moved to the plated material. I did punch a hole in the rear tank but simply emptied it at home and patched it. The set-up he sold and probably still sells is the multi port selector valve. I have only had one die in all that time, so a very reliable setup.

Skitzyrex
29th July 2017, 08:54 PM
After repeatedly bending up my trailer socket on the old bracket I decided to buy a new one and put it in the bumper. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/330.jpg

gubigfish
29th July 2017, 09:28 PM
Fitted up a flush mount RJ45 socket for my Icom UHF and also a RAM IPad mount using the seat rail bolt.

PeeBee
30th July 2017, 04:31 PM
Got my spare set of Koni's reco'd and swapped them out in the rear - fronts next weekend, too stuffed plus pressure to 'get out from under that bloody car' from 'you know who - the cushion queen'.

BigRAWesty
30th July 2017, 06:57 PM
After repeatedly bending up my trailer socket on the old bracket I decided to buy a new one and put it in the bumper. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/330.jpgMine has been smashed after the trip and i hate the flat plug.
So will be doing the same and mounting a round plug socket on the bumper..

TPC
30th July 2017, 07:26 PM
I have been through 3 flat sockets on the work 4wd and have changed to the round socket.

Skitzyrex
30th July 2017, 08:07 PM
Mine has been smashed after the trip and i hate the flat plug.
So will be doing the same and mounting a round plug socket on the bumper..

This one is a round plug so I'll see how it goes.

Yeti's Beast
2nd August 2017, 01:52 PM
Fitted a new Sony stereo with reverse camera and Kicker 300 watt speakers
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/13.jpg
Spewing though because I found out the supplied wiring loom has all the speakers in the wrong position. Oh well time to rip it out again and do a spot of rewiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jay see
4th August 2017, 06:50 PM
After much neglect, I got to clean the inside. Not much I know....

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

TPC
4th August 2017, 06:55 PM
Fitted a new Sony stereo with reverse camera and Kicker 300 watt speakers
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/13.jpg
Spewing though because I found out the supplied wiring loom has all the speakers in the wrong position. Oh well time to rip it out again and do a spot of rewiring.

What did that cost you?
I have a piece of shit Elinz unit in mine that half works, should replace it one day.

Yeti's Beast
4th August 2017, 09:27 PM
What did that cost you?
I have a piece of shit Elinz unit in mine that half works, should replace it one day.

I got it for $264 at JB Hi Fi , 6.5 inch Kicker speakers $107
It works really good. Has reverse camera that can be activated on the screen as well as when in reverse.

MB
4th August 2017, 10:34 PM
Removed the original Safari Snorkle and cut the hole.............Quite a cavity below the elbow, makes me wonder how the likes of Patrol a part and Millweld sort this out.
G'day Phil, when Mill removed my GU Safari he made this extra cover/strengthing plate. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/43.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/44.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/45.jpg

PeeBee
4th August 2017, 11:18 PM
G'day Phil, when Mill removed my GU Safari he made this extra cover/strengthing plate. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/43.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/44.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/45.jpg

OK, gotcha. The hole I have is approx 20mm below the new 4" SS bend - really looks untidy. I have been 'dreaming' about how to address it, and was more or less committed to a Rossco style visit to a panel shop to fix it. I thought I would incorporate the repair with the bonnet vents, but perhaps you have set me on another totally different path to success. I am going to tack this all together tomorrow so my contractors on site can weld it out next week - bloody handy having a pool of great guys with skills to match who are happy to help. Thanks for the heads up Mark.

VK2FMIA
5th August 2017, 10:57 AM
Installed new LED H4 globes yesterday & took it for a run last night. Low beam are excellent, high beam not so good, not much brighter than low but all good when the LED driving lights kick in. Will be interesting to see if the H4`s hold up.

Slowly upgrading all lights to led, T10`s on the way for parkers, side indicators & number plate light. Looking at replacing front & rear brake, turn & tail lights down the track.

Hodge
5th August 2017, 12:30 PM
Finally got some time to do some odds and ends on it. Finished wiring up the cargo area for fridge, lights . chargers etc...
Off to get it serviced Monday and possible high country trip this coming weekend. Fingers crossed. Need to get out.

PeeBee
5th August 2017, 06:16 PM
Fabricated the new 4" SS snorkle, ready for welding out next week, might get it powder coated as well, black. Changed out the rear sway bar rubbers, stuffed around with flowmeter setup - looks like the flowmeters are the wrong range, so back they go.

Rossco
5th August 2017, 07:45 PM
Fabricated the new 4" SS snorkle, ready for welding out next week, might get it powder coated as well, black. Changed out the rear sway bar rubbers, stuffed around with flowmeter setup - looks like the flowmeters are the wrong range, so back they go.Ooh nice, pictures? Keen to see it when it's done, looking forward to my millie job should be nice i hope . . .

PeeBee
5th August 2017, 07:51 PM
Ooh nice, pictures? Keen to see it when it's done, looking forward to my millie job should be nice i hope . . .

I will stick up some photos when I have it installed. Currently tacked up and waiting for the welders touch to finish. MB posted up some shots of how Millweld rework the safari hole in the guard. I am undecided yet how this coverplate will look, so need to think a bit more. The millweld setup is very neat for sure. When is your getting fitted Rossco?

Rossco
5th August 2017, 09:07 PM
I will stick up some photos when I have it installed. Currently tacked up and waiting for the welders touch to finish. MB posted up some shots of how Millweld rework the safari hole in the guard. I am undecided yet how this coverplate will look, so need to think a bit more. The millweld setup is very neat for sure. When is your getting fitted Rossco?October 2nd i think. Can't wait, although it's gonna be a nervous drive up to Mansfield [emoji20]. Might have to leave at sparrows . . .

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

stevemc181
5th August 2017, 10:05 PM
Gave it the first oil change of it's young life :) Made a mess of the concrete though!

4bye4
5th August 2017, 10:40 PM
Prepped and painted the rear bumper where I had scraped the paint before installing the rear view camera. Then touched the wet paint, tried to fix it, made it worse. So what did I do to my Patrol today? Nothing really. Ill sand it back and start again tomorrow.

mudski
5th August 2017, 11:11 PM
Found the cause of my front hub noise MudRunnerTD. The outer locking gear was jumping on the inner gear thats on the axle shaft. I remove it to find the outer gear not engaging far enough out when locked. only by maybe 2mm. So I pull the hub right apart to adjust it and the thread section in the middle where you adjust the hub is actually cracked.
Warranty claim coming....

PeeBee
5th August 2017, 11:28 PM
Installed new LED H4 globes yesterday & took it for a run last night. Low beam are excellent, high beam not so good, not much brighter than low but all good when the LED driving lights kick in. Will be interesting to see if the H4`s hold up.

Slowly upgrading all lights to led, T10`s on the way for parkers, side indicators & number plate light. Looking at replacing front & rear brake, turn & tail lights down the track.

I might just hold off on swapping out my hid globes to these based on what you found. I reckon my hid' are great, just as illegal in vic as LEDs, - what did you change from , halogens? I have the globes sitting there to swap, but still not convinced. I run led light bars for high beam and they are great, running them at 28v, so just about nameplate output.

sooty_10
6th August 2017, 12:13 AM
Found the cause of my front hub noise MudRunnerTD. The outer locking gear was jumping on the inner gear thats on the axle shaft. I remove it to find the outer gear not engaging far enough out when locked. only by maybe 2mm. So I pull the hub right apart to adjust it and the thread section in the middle where you adjust the hub is actually cracked.
Warranty claim coming....
What brand hubs?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

mudski
6th August 2017, 12:29 AM
What brand hubs?

Cheap OEM copies. eBay specials. I'll see if I can get the busted hub swapped under warranty. But my auto hubs are a bit worse for wear, hence me buying these, so I might have to fork out the coin for genuine hubs.

VK2FMIA
6th August 2017, 08:11 AM
I might just hold off on swapping out my hid globes to these based on what you found. I reckon my hid' are great, just as illegal in vic as LEDs, - what did you change from , halogens? I have the globes sitting there to swap, but still not convinced. I run led light bars for high beam and they are great, running them at 28v, so just about nameplate output.
Upgraded from halogen. I like the color output from the LED's, nice & bright especially when coming down from high beam, halogens seemed a bit dull after the brightness of the LED driving lights. Only bought cheap ones of eBay, a better brand might put out a bit more light on high.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals.

shantillylais
6th August 2017, 11:08 PM
finished the install of my 4WD Systems drawers, very happy. Did the door opening mod so the fridge doesn't hit it, next is to make a removable mesh "cage and shelf" to go around and over the fridge. Did the templates today.

GQtdauto
6th August 2017, 11:16 PM
Cheap OEM copies. eBay specials. I'll see if I can get the busted hub swapped under warranty. But my auto hubs are a bit worse for wear, hence me buying these, so I might have to fork out the coin for genuine hubs.

I think I still have a set of locking hubs off a GQ in a brothel box in the shed .

mudski
7th August 2017, 10:41 AM
finished the install of my 4WD Systems drawers, very happy. Did the door opening mod so the fridge doesn't hit it, next is to make a removable mesh "cage and shelf" to go around and over the fridge. Did the templates today.

I was lazy and bought this and just made it fit...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Steel-Fridge-Slide-Barrier-Cage-700mm-L-x-465mm-W-x-600mm-H-4x4-4wd-/142457030429?hash=item212b19c71d

johno90
7th August 2017, 10:49 AM
Finally pulled the manual clutch pedal and brake pedals out, in preparation for swapping over to an auto. Poor things needing some attention, spent the last month working on other cars instead. oo also sent the converter off to be rebuilt and tuffened up

mudski
7th August 2017, 10:50 AM
MudRunnerTD again. Busted... I knew that sound wasn't normal mate. I should have gotten you to go for a run down a hill in my car at Licola. The noise was horrible and was felt through the entire car.

shantillylais
7th August 2017, 10:13 PM
thanks mudski, I had seen similar, but I wanted more a usable shelf on top. It will be from the backseat to the door (950 long, and from the fixed side to the 3rd row grab handle), so mine will be more like a half of the Black Widow system, and with 5 screws install/remove when not using the fridge. If I could justify the cost, I would have just bought one tho'. cheers Lana

Hodge
9th August 2017, 06:00 PM
Spent a few hours packing it with camping outfit ! Going high country on Friday . First time fully packed with the new draws and I'm liking it. Neat tidy and tucked away .
It's ready just gotta add beer and meat at Mansfield and we're off !
Pumped !

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Rossco
9th August 2017, 06:03 PM
Spent a few hours packing it with camping outfit ! Going high country on Friday . First time fully packed with the new draws and I'm liking it. Neat tidy and tucked away .
It's ready just gotta add beer and meat at Mansfield and we're off !
Pumped !

Sent from my SM-G920I using TapatalkEnjoy Hodge, yeah drawers are awsome, you'll love em [emoji4] . . .

PeeBee
11th August 2017, 08:19 PM
I will stick up some photos when I have it installed. Currently tacked up and waiting for the welders touch to finish. MB posted up some shots of how Millweld rework the safari hole in the guard. I am undecided yet how this coverplate will look, so need to think a bit more. The millweld setup is very neat for sure. When is your getting fitted Rossco?

Rushed home from Stanhope today and fitted the snorkle. Very happy with it and looks great.7282772828
Shown with ramhead and also the Donaldson 305mm pre cleaner fitted

MB
13th August 2017, 03:22 PM
Plumbed up the Bunnings-JFLEX Auto Inflator/Deflator & 9.0m reel. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/98.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/99.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/100.jpg

GQtdauto
13th August 2017, 03:27 PM
Nice job mate .

MB
13th August 2017, 03:33 PM
Cheers Rob, still gotta move the 240v inverter from the tray back inside under with the compressor, almost there mate!

PeeBee
13th August 2017, 05:38 PM
Plumbed up the Bunnings-JFLEX Auto Inflator/Deflator & 9.0m reel. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/98.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/99.jpg[img]http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/100.jpg

Where am I going to fit this on my patrol? Do I even need it? When will I have the time to fit it? Soooooo many opportunities for further questions, so thanks MB. Looks good though!

stevemc181
13th August 2017, 11:41 PM
I fitted my Glind heat exchanger and a Shurflo pump in the spot where the dual battery would normally go. (My dual battery is mounted in the back) I have the Glind plumbed up with a Thermostatic mixing valve (TMV), so if the water flow is stopped it will still maintain the same temp when the shower is turned on again. The TMV works well and there is only a slight variation in water temp for a second or two if the shower is stopped and started.

There is no way I could get the water hot enough on one pass, but this is ok, as we recirculate 5 litres of water for a shower anyway. We use a collapsible tub that we stand in and recycle the water, running it through a 40 micron filter in the pick up line. This means we can use 5 litres of water and have an awesome hot shower for as long as we want. Comes in handy every few days on the more remote trips where water is scarce.

I ran out of time to give this a full on test today, but hoping I can test it properly during the week as we head off next weekend for 6 weeks.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/110.jpg (http://4x4downunder.com/image/Zpmv)

MB
14th August 2017, 05:42 AM
That's awesome Steve, where you guys off to for the big trip mentioned mate?

Rossco
14th August 2017, 09:31 AM
Plumbed up the Bunnings-JFLEX Auto Inflator/Deflator & 9.0m reel. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/98.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/99.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/100.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWow Markie, looks pretty flash. Is that a set of twin Engies in the back ?

stevemc181
14th August 2017, 09:34 AM
That's awesome Steve, where you guys off to for the big trip mentioned mate?

We'll be heading from Perth across the Anne Beadell, then up to Old Andado and across the Madigan line, ending up at the Gold coast for a wedding. Then up to Fraser Island for 5 nights and back via Alice,West Macs,Uluru, Great Central rd. The route home is not set in stone yet, but we have all the permits required for the route West-East. We are leaving on Sunday or Monday, so counting the sleeps now. The trip is just the missus and myself solo vehicle, and we are both looking forward to a decent break from the routine.

Mike02Ti
14th August 2017, 06:35 PM
New boots. Nitto trail grapplers 285/75/16
No lift yet. No rubbing so far at allhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/113.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/114.jpg

Baby Daddy
14th August 2017, 07:27 PM
Purchased valve springs, arp head studs and billet oil pump gears. - The get installed this week.
Tranny is complete and torque converter will be finished by Friday.
Car goes in to tune shop by end of month... it's barra time ;)

TPC
14th August 2017, 08:51 PM
We'll be heading from Perth across the Anne Beadell, then up to Old Andado and across the Madigan line, ending up at the Gold coast for a wedding. Then up to Fraser Island for 5 nights and back via Alice,West Macs,Uluru, Great Central rd. The route home is not set in stone yet, but we have all the permits required for the route West-East. We are leaving on Sunday or Monday, so counting the sleeps now. The trip is just the missus and myself solo vehicle, and we are both looking forward to a decent break from the routine.

I am green with envy, have fun and safe travels.

Sprock
17th August 2017, 08:18 PM
I mounted & plumbed up my genuine provent catch can - I had an aftermarket copy in there originally - shit plastic & the lid never screw on properly, it had a stainless mesh 'filter' unlike the proper filter the provent has . Made a better bracket for it , heat shrinked & hose clamp all the hoses in - I've surprised myself with the professional finish haha

Winnie
17th August 2017, 08:19 PM
Look at you all lah dee dah!

nissannewby
17th August 2017, 08:52 PM
Sorted the head phones out in the new car. So now we can listen to music while the young fella can separately listen to his dvd while he watches it.

Clunk
21st August 2017, 07:04 PM
This...... Just clicked over the big 400
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/160.jpg

Bidja
21st August 2017, 08:12 PM
PorVent 200 Install-Just installed CC and made up brackets, not much real estate left. Bit of a squeeze (Happy).72928

sooty_10
22nd August 2017, 10:23 PM
Installed boss coil tower brace kit, new shocks and springs all round.

mudski
22nd August 2017, 10:53 PM
Installed the new OEM manual locking hubs. Removed, cleaned and regreased the sway bar ball joints, and removed and pressed in new OEM lower control arm bushes in the LHR lower arm. Buggered my home made bush removal dolly too. Now have to make another one, but stronger.

PeeBee
23rd August 2017, 05:34 PM
Fitted the replacement fuel flowmeter on the supply side of injector pump and it appears to be the correct range, so waiting to receive the return line flowmeter, then should be able to monitor fuel use more closely.

New Makita Blower arrived today also, so fitted the battery and blew all the crap out from around the rats nest of cables under the bonnet - very powerful and fully adjustable airflow. Going to make fire stoking so much easier especially when the wood is damp.

MB
23rd August 2017, 06:37 PM
Found some old 'Wee Willem' type cigars in the house to start investigations on a first ever experienced vaccuum leak arisen. Snow temps do weird things to trucks/parts! Thanks YouTube :-)

PeeBee
23rd August 2017, 07:14 PM
Found some old 'Wee Willem' type cigars in the house to start investigations on a first ever experienced vaccuum leak arisen. Snow temps do weird things to trucks/parts! Thanks YouTube :-)

What are the symptoms Mark? can you hear air entering the system, or spongy brakes/clutch?

MB
23rd August 2017, 08:45 PM
Zero assisted brakes & clutch mate when the low 550rpm idling donk is at rest ;-)

PeeBee
23rd August 2017, 08:54 PM
Zero assisted brakes & clutch mate when the low 550rpm idling donk is at rest ;-)

Hope its not that new alt/vac pump?

MB
23rd August 2017, 09:05 PM
In theory it can't be mate. Heel & Toe to rev up its double vac power works a treat :-) When revs are 'off' she's a rolling lump of steel that also needs synchronised box tricking down ;-)

PeeBee
23rd August 2017, 09:22 PM
In theory it can't be mate. Heel & Toe to rev up its double vac power works a treat :-) When revs are 'off' she's a rolling lump of steel that also needs synchronised box tricking down ;-)

Where does the 'displaced air' release to on your set-up? Is there a sticky check valve of sorts that is not closing under low pressure, but working under high pressure?

MB
23rd August 2017, 09:25 PM
I'll go check :-(

nissannewby
23rd August 2017, 09:31 PM

Auto time with hydraulic assisted booster

MB
23rd August 2017, 09:42 PM
Love ya Mat mate, Cracka ;-) You know I'm a simpleton stubborn dumb old clutch bloke :-) Phil mate, I cannot find any vac dump type valve anywhere bro. 1999 converted BD say still running stock 4.2T twin vac cannisters. All roads/pipes lead to brake/clutch boosters.

nissannewby
23rd August 2017, 09:46 PM
Love ya Mat mate, Cracka ;-) You know I'm a simpleton stubborn dumb old clutch bloke :-) Phil mate, I cannot find any vac dump type valve anywhere bro. 1999 converted BD say still running stock 4.2T twin vac cannisters. All roads/pipes lead to brake/clutch boosters.

Is the pulley on your new alternator larger than the item it replaced?

MB
23rd August 2017, 09:48 PM
Near identical size mate, been running perfect until -10C temp trip :-(

nissannewby
23rd August 2017, 09:53 PM
Near identical size mate, been running perfect until -10C temp trip :-(

Vacuum is one of the harder things to keep. So it is possible the colder temps has brought out a defect in your system. You will need to check all connections. Even some of the capped ports that exist in the vac systems on these.

Was it an instant fault or progressive?

Avo
23rd August 2017, 10:05 PM
a phone call,booked her in for a airbag refit...i do like her airbags,,,no just to fix that front end wobble...worse on rough roads....

MB
23rd August 2017, 10:08 PM
Cheers Mat mate, definitely started progressively I felt/think. Morning reversed up to the snow fire area to collect/stockpile wood for camp move next night and had to use handbrake to stop prior to a tree smash @ 1kmph :-( Unsure of the rest of that morning as brakes weren't used until back below 1200m snow level. Was warmer there and all was sweet until the arvo hauling logs back to warm river camp. Drive home was toe tapping Rev's up needed fun Monday :-)

nissannewby
23rd August 2017, 10:12 PM
Cheers Mat mate, definitely started progressively I felt/think. Morning reversed up to the snow fire area to collect/stockpile wood for camp move next night and had to use handbrake to stop prior to a tree smash @ 1kmph :-( Unsure of the rest of that morning as brakes weren't used until back below 1200m snow level. Was warmer there and all was sweet until the arvo hauling logs back to warm river camp. Drive home was toe tapping Rev's up needed fun Monday :-)

Do you know what type of pump the vac pump is? You either have a leak or an issue with the pump. If its a vane pump the vanes might be sticking a little from possible corrosion from condensation/ice and the revs then throws the vanes out as rpm increases. Does the problem also effect the clutch?

MB
23rd August 2017, 10:21 PM
Clutch is definitely affected too mate, same timeline too I feel :-( The vac pump I'm unsure of its make but is the new GQ4.2 170 amp high vac jobbie Phil kindly found for us on Ebay.

Avo
23rd August 2017, 10:27 PM
Clutch is definitely affected too mate, same timeline too I feel :-( The vac pump I'm unsure of its make but is the new GQ4.2 170 amp high vac jobbie Phil kindly found for us on Ebay.

that moment when you tell people that your problem,was an EBAY purchase.....MB.....i shake my head

MB
23rd August 2017, 10:31 PM
Certainly cranks out huge power to haul out mates!
Still going to blow cigar smoke up my own pipes to check for frigid possible system vac splits :-(

MudRunnerTD
23rd August 2017, 10:51 PM

WOW...... Just WOW!!!!! What an Extraordinary trip that is. Ticking Boxes everywhere you go there sir. Have a great time and travel well.

Avo
23rd August 2017, 10:54 PM
Certainly cranks out huge power to haul out mates!
Still going to blow cigar smoke up my own pipes to check for frigid possible system vac splits :-(

was showing the family them pics today(non white fluffy shit family type)i wouldn't mind camping in a like hut house and taking pics out of the window...dunno about swaggin it n shit..

mudski
24th August 2017, 09:39 AM
Fitted a power window relay delay timer. Works well, but it doesn't work on the drivers window. Strange as to why. I pulled the relay out and the drivers window still works, but the other three don't. Hmm. I'm sure I can bypass the drivers window via the switch itself...

Sprock
24th August 2017, 10:13 AM
Is that so you can put the windows up AFTER you've turned the key off ?

mudski
24th August 2017, 10:37 AM
Is that so you can put the windows up AFTER you've turned the key off ?

Yes.... But this doesn't work on the drivers window as its not control by the relay.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GU-Nissan-Patrol-Y61-Power-Window-Relay-Delay-Timer-use-windows-once-key-is-off-/122374891586

Sprock
24th August 2017, 03:20 PM
That's 1 thing that pisses me off with the Patrol , turn key off& notice a window down so have to turn key back on etc , seems petty but it's a nuisance- I can take the keys out of the Commodore & close the door & still be able to just open the door & hit the window button .

Sprock
24th August 2017, 03:21 PM
Wonder why just that window isn't controlled through the relay ?

mudski
24th August 2017, 04:15 PM
That's 1 thing that pisses me off with the Patrol , turn key off& notice a window down so have to turn key back on etc , seems petty but it's a nuisance- I can take the keys out of the Commodore & close the door & still be able to just open the door & hit the window button .
Yeah our Bommodore is the same. I reckon there one more thing that would piss me off about your Patrol too!;) Haha!

Wonder why just that window isn't controlled through the relay ?

Absolutely no idea as to why this is the case.
I reckon I can by pass it via the window switch and then it has power all the time.

Bush Ranger
24th August 2017, 09:31 PM
Fitted a power window relay delay timer. Works well, but it doesn't work on the drivers window. Strange as to why. I pulled the relay out and the drivers window still works, but the other three don't. Hmm. I'm sure I can bypass the drivers window via the switch itself...

Talking of electric windows, I had a look at a DX ute with a 4.2 diesel motor and noticed there`s no window winder on the drivers side door, but there`s one on the passenger side door. Found out the bloke who owned it, put in a electric winder in hooked up to a toggle switch. Had to laugh.

mudski
25th August 2017, 04:48 PM
Took the Pootrol out this arvo to blow the cobwebs out of it, I had a strange noise coming from underneath, I look and found I have a broken exhaust bracket, the one above the rear diff, and also the bracket that bolts to the transmission is near cracked right through. I finally ticked about 6 things off the "to do" list this week and just added two back on.:frown:

Bush Ranger
25th August 2017, 07:18 PM
^^^ One step forward, two steps back.

mudski
28th August 2017, 10:50 PM
Aaaand I've just added more on to the list.
So I bought a new driver seat cushion yonks ago as mines stuffed. I finished work this arvo early enough so I thought I'd get the seat out of the Patrol and apart. Yep the cushion is rooted as I thought....

...but I found more. Hope my mig welding skills are up to scratch.

sooty_10
29th August 2017, 07:50 AM
Aaaand I've just added more on to the list.
So I bought a new driver seat cushion yonks ago as mines stuffed. I finished work this arvo early enough so I thought I'd get the seat out of the Patrol and apart. Yep the cushion is rooted as I thought....

...but I found more. Hope my mig welding skills are up to scratch.
Ouch.... is that the floor pan? How much did the bloke who owned it before you weigh?
And is the seat cushion reasonable $$$?

Tip12345
29th August 2017, 08:21 AM
slowly slowly catch the monkey ! It should come back together ok . tack here and there !
its like fixing motorcycle seat baces !! at least its not rusty

mudski
29th August 2017, 08:28 AM
Ouch.... is that the floor pan? How much did the bloke who owned it before you weigh?
And is the seat cushion reasonable $$$?

Thats the seat pan which the cushion sits in and bolts to the rails. I'd have to go through my receipts but I think it was around the $150 mark. Dont quote me on that, it was quite a while ago.
So when I fix the pan I have to work out how to attach the seat cover to the cushion and pan again as it was held in with copper rings that I had to cut off. this part might be for an upholsterer to do...

This is the under side of the seat pan. The pliers are pointing to the cracked area. I washed the seat cover too in the laundry tub. Holy shite! The water went like mud instantly. So I had to wash it multiple times over. Now I wanna do all the seats but its a way too big of a job.

Sprock
29th August 2017, 09:54 AM
It never ends mudski - STOP LOOKING 😝 . I took my Rallye 4000 driving lights fitted with HID inserts off & replaced them with LED driving lights , I took 2 of the LED driving lights off the truck as there was no difference between the 1st 2 then after adding another 2 . Putting the HIDs on the truck for more distance- in between the LEDS for spread . Also cut the plate out of the top of the bullbar between the lights & mounting the remote box down in there - been temporarily mounted elsewhere for the last 6mths .....

mudnut
29th August 2017, 12:06 PM
Thats the seat pan which the cushion sits in and bolts to the rails. I'd have to go through my receipts but I think it was around the $150 mark. Dont quote me on that, it was quite a while ago.
So when I fix the pan I have to work out how to attach the seat cover to the cushion and pan again as it was held in with copper rings that I had to cut off. this part might be for an upholsterer to do...

This is the under side of the seat pan. The pliers are pointing to the cracked area. I washed the seat cover too in the laundry tub. Holy shite! The water went like mud instantly. So I had to wash it multiple times over. Now I wanna do all the seats but its a way too big of a job.

Try the gal coated netting clips. https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-16mm-netting-clips-500-pack_p3064754

mudski
29th August 2017, 02:38 PM
Try the gal coated netting clips. https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-16mm-netting-clips-500-pack_p3064754

All fixed and seat put back together bud. I found a motor trimmer who works from home almost within walking distance from me. I took it around and he put the cover, foam and base back together on the spot for me and charged me a whole $10. Win win. The seat feels real different to sit on now, I don't fell like Im sinking in the seat, and the handle to adjust the front tilt now works, whereas before it wasn't because of the broken mounts. Love it!

Now to attend to these bloody seat belts which have stopped retracting, again.

katwoman
29th August 2017, 03:39 PM

I use the carpet cleaning machine to do my seats. And my father-in-law was a trimmer, so steve has the know-how and tools to do the seats. He's pulled out and repadded every GU seat we've owned.

mudski
29th August 2017, 04:05 PM
I use the carpet cleaning machine to do my seats. And my father-in-law was a trimmer, so steve has the know-how and tools to do the seats. He's pulled out and repadded every GU seat we've owned.

Yeah I watched the guy put it all back together. One tool and a those clips. He was done in 5 minutes. I asked the guy about washing the covers while they are still on the seats. He said to be real careful because if the foam is not in the best shape the moisture will destroy the foam real fast when you are trying to vacuum out the moisture. Its best to use the foam stuff in a can you get from auto shops he reckons. Or remove the covers entirely and wash them. More work but I think I will do the latter, one day. More work on the to do list... :P

Edit : Just ordered the hog ring pliers and a packet of rings. Gawd! Now I will have to do all the seats.

Stropp
2nd September 2017, 11:48 AM
Had the emu wings fitted, look great and very easy access to the back now

MB
2nd September 2017, 01:39 PM
Found my vacuum leak today, will be an easy fix thankfully:-)
https://youtu.be/kpZwpkyhqyg

Hodge
2nd September 2017, 02:07 PM
Found my vacuum leak today, will be an easy fix thankfully:-)
https://youtu.be/kpZwpkyhqyg
Good job Marko.
But what if one doesn't smoke ? Lol

Also out of interest what were your symptoms for the leak ?

Since my river crossings few weeks ago , my clutch and brake pedals go stiffer quicker ... Than before.

MB
2nd September 2017, 02:23 PM
Just had zero booster assistance down low for both mate. The old Chev idles so low had to neutral gear with accelerate pedal and brake at same time to keep vacuum greater than the little leak.

Rossco
2nd September 2017, 04:11 PM
Washed it. . .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/13.jpg

And found a dint in my previously perfect sills. . . That's the last time I'm driving this thing in the bush, don't know what i was thinking [emoji20] . . .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/14.jpg

Winnie
2nd September 2017, 04:21 PM
That's it mate, she's a dirty old bush pig now!

Rossco
2nd September 2017, 05:11 PM
That's it mate, she's a dirty old bush pig now!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk. . . http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/15.jpg

gubigfish
2nd September 2017, 05:15 PM
where's your sliders? and yes you'd better give it to me now its ruined :harhar:

Rossco
2nd September 2017, 05:58 PM
where's your sliders? and yes you'd better give it to me now its ruined :harhar:Need to adjust them for body lift. Haven't got round to that yet. . .

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Bush Ranger
2nd September 2017, 08:11 PM
Left it in the shed.

Avo
2nd September 2017, 09:45 PM
took it shopping...looked for the wobble in the front

Rossco
3rd September 2017, 09:48 AM
took it shopping...looked for the wobble in the frontDid you find it?

DX grunt
3rd September 2017, 09:51 AM
Stay tuned for an update on DX grunt's renovations. lol.

Avo
3rd September 2017, 11:08 AM
Did you find it?

yep....she just need a better bra

PeeBee
7th September 2017, 09:43 PM
Finally got the fuel consumption flow meters installed and working, however the double Dutch Romanian inverse instructions for setup are doing my head in. Trying to set it up for lph instead of ppm isn't playing the game and struggling to set the parameters so the flowratezeros each time the engine stops. More time on the phone tomorrow with the agent to try and resolve.

Also made a couple of stainless steel storage drawers for tools and recovery gear that go under the existing rear storage setup, will post pics when it's finished. This should take a heap of stuff from the back seat

morton2478
8th September 2017, 08:19 PM
Today was day 1 of converting the 3ltr to a 4.2 happy days [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

AB
9th September 2017, 06:48 AM
Are you starting a build thread mate?

Hodge
9th September 2017, 03:19 PM
Fitted up the infinity fan to the motor. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/63.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/64.jpg

gubigfish
9th September 2017, 03:28 PM
Be interested to know how much that affects the cooling Hodge approx how much for the fan?

Hodge
9th September 2017, 04:58 PM
Be interested to know how much that affects the cooling @Hodge (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?u=15680) approx how much for the fan?

Will be interesting to see too mate. Most people who have it, have said it performs better. Can instantly tell it pushes air more and you can actually hear the whir of the fan, much more noticeable than the original. My motor doesn't overheat, nor do I tow or push it too much so, I don't know how it will perform at mostly idling temps, compared to say somebody whos got it fitted and does a lot of towing and the temps are on the higher scale.

It cost me around $120AUD shipped from UAE. Thats using https://partsouq.com/ which nissannewby put me onto. Ive bought a few parts from there and saved a ton compared to anywhere local and shipping is fairly fast too.

mudski
9th September 2017, 10:36 PM
Be interested to know how much that affects the cooling Hodge approx how much for the fan?

I found pretty much zero difference just running the fan of a stock, unmolested fan clutch. only when I added more oil in the hub I saw any cooling change. But a better fan to have none the less.

Stropp
10th September 2017, 05:01 PM
Yes I paid $450 with the bigger hub and fan from ufi made a lot of difference, you can actually hear it.

PeeBee
10th September 2017, 05:18 PM
Finished the majority of the rear setup today, just a door to make tomorrow.

Swapped out the HID headlights for LED Globes, running thru a Piranha headlight loom. Keen to see the difference, globes only, not the headlights - when they tone down the design to stop them being easily recognisable i will probably swap over to them.

MB
10th September 2017, 05:31 PM
Pics please Phil!

Mc4by
10th September 2017, 06:40 PM
Finally finished the winch install.
Wired up an in cab controller with isolator switch to the centre console.

GQtdauto
10th September 2017, 07:17 PM
Tested the flex out over some rocks out Eldorado, scored a fire extinguisher that will make a great air tank , some wanker has dumped about 20 of them in the Park .

MB
10th September 2017, 07:26 PM
Tested the flex out over some rocks out Eldorado, scored a fire extinguisher that will make a great air tank , some wanker has dumped about 20 of them in the Park .
Good work mate, pics pretty please & recycling at its best :-)!
Arseholes, some dumping pricks hey :-(
Extinguishers please do be careful though as a lot of gear us blokes buy can run high. ARB twin pumps for example are set @150psi ish and many blokes are running air tools too :-)

GQtdauto
10th September 2017, 07:54 PM
Good work mate, pics pretty please & recycling at its best :-)!
Arseholes, some dumping pricks hey :-(
Extinguishers please do be careful though as a lot of gear us blokes buy can run high. ARB twin pumps for example are set @150psi ish and many blokes are running air tools too :-)

Mine runs to 150 as well , extinguisher is rated to handle over 400 psi and normal operating pressure is 190 so as long as I get the cap right it should all be good .

MB
10th September 2017, 08:01 PM
Gold then mate :-)! I've got quite a few given to me from CFA retired changeovers etc.. Generally use em as fertiliser pressure packs around the block at low PSI. Should we worry about rust in these old tanks? Mind me there is quite the tolerance down to 150psi from 400psi spec you kindly educate me ;-)

GQtdauto
10th September 2017, 09:25 PM
I'll post some pics of the extinguisher tomorrow and the pressure limits and testing figures , I've got to go back out for some wood and I now have to grab another three , son wants two and I'm going to try for a two tank setup.
Extinguisher is roughly 150mm diameter by 350mm high .

PeeBee
10th September 2017, 09:53 PM
Mc4by, how do you keep that interior clean - never seen a white trim before - is that leather or fabric? Sorry, 1997 GQ perspective coming thru!!

GQtdauto
10th September 2017, 10:29 PM
Mc4by, how do you keep that interior clean - never seen a white trim before - is that leather or fabric? Sorry, 1997 GQ perspective coming thru!!

Is it possible to go off road and not get some in unless you're a bitumen bunny .

Mc4by
11th September 2017, 12:16 AM
Fabric trim.
Fantasy answer: I make the wife take off all her clothes before she gets back in the vehicle :)
Reality: Canvas seat covers.

PeeBee
11th September 2017, 03:14 PM
Pics please Phil!

Not much to see, simply 3 off storage trays to hold recovery gear, tools and misc parts. Spaces the original setup 'up' 170mm, so now an excuse to look at a drop down fridge slide perhaps. 73154

PeeBee
11th September 2017, 03:24 PM
Went down to nissan spare parts to get a handfull of screws for the headlight surround - not in stock, come back at 2pm. Came home, moved truck out of garage and it 'stopped'. Searching around, no fuel, bled the system using the boost pump and hand pump, no fuel. Under the car, checked the newly installed fuel filter, all full, boost pump not sucking it thru. Bypassed the new filter, primed the system with boost pump and hand pump, runs like normal, so my super duper extra fuel filter is too much for the boost pump, so that great idea has gone out the window, unless I put another booster pump between the tank and the second filter. Right now, annoyed, filthy and stinking of fuel, just finished cleaning everything up and noticed an oil witness mark between the engine and gearbox adapter plate which looks like a seal is leaking - shit.

Got the screws and at $26 for a pack of 10, they did the job, considering I only needed 2.

Had enough of the car today, retreated inside and licking my wounds.

GQtdauto
11th September 2017, 03:36 PM
Not sure where to put these pics but my new air cylinder, courtesy of some idiot dumping a heap of them out bush .

Hodge
11th September 2017, 07:01 PM
Thought I'd share experience so far.
It made a difference , but a negative one. I'm unsure why.
Temps are 1-2C higher than usual. Before fan swap idle for example always settled at 76C , now it's 77-78.
Driving around town and crusing on highway is the same. Usually sits 78-79 cruising at 100kmh . Now it's 80-82.
I'm unsure why ...
Fan is the right way around. mudski gubigfish .

BigRAWesty
11th September 2017, 09:40 PM
Not sure where to put these pics but my new air cylinder, courtesy of some idiot dumping a heap of them out bush .

73155731567315773158That my friend is a bloody good idea!!

mudski
11th September 2017, 10:08 PM
Thought I'd share experience so far.
It made a difference , but a negative one. I'm unsure why.
Temps are 1-2C higher than usual. Before fan swap idle for example always settled at 76C , now it's 77-78.
Driving around town and crusing on highway is the same. Usually sits 78-79 cruising at 100kmh . Now it's 80-82.
I'm unsure why ...
Fan is the right way around. mudski gubigfish .

I noticed this when I did mine. I've been thinking a lot to why. I came to the conclusion which I think is plausible. Try and see where Im coming from, a bit hard to explain. The new fan draws more air. So the new fan will use or need more turning force. The stock hub is only designed for the stock fan, the new fan on the stock hub, wont spin at the same rate as its "heavier" on the hub. Hence adding more oil the hub to make the fan spin.

When I did mine.
The first time it was, new fan on OEM hub. Pretty much zero difference. I then spent a while trying different amounts of oil in the hub until I was satisfied with the outcome. After the third shot. I found a happy medium.
So just using this fan and not doing anything else, has proven it does jack ship. More needs to be done for it to be effective.

Hodge
12th September 2017, 12:35 PM
Definitely know what you mean.
Larger and more aggressive fan means the hub will "slip" more due to more load on it and not spin the fan at the same rate as the lighter fan ...
So time to mess with some hub oil.
You suggest I start taking some oil out bit by bit ? Is that how it works less oil more grip ?
mudski

GQtdauto
12th September 2017, 01:28 PM
Tested out the air tank , was able to get from 15psi to 25psi in about 15 seconds and that's with a chunky 33" muddie so thinking a double tank setup could be the go .

mudski
12th September 2017, 03:21 PM
Definitely know what you mean.
Larger and more aggressive fan means the hub will "slip" more due to more load on it and not spin the fan at the same rate as the lighter fan ...
So time to mess with some hub oil.
You suggest I start taking some oil out bit by bit ? Is that how it works less oil more grip ?
mudski

You need to add oil. I ended up using 2 1/4 bottles until I was satisfied.

garett
13th September 2017, 06:25 AM
put a new clutch master in as the old one had been leaking since the licola trip.

mudnut
13th September 2017, 10:48 AM
Finally got the right 4gl gearbox oil and now the gearshift is so smooth. Although a lot quieter the harsh whining noise is still there in the cluster (1st, 2nd 3rd and 5th). 4th is almost silent so I'm just gunna turn up the radio and pretend all is good.

BigRAWesty
13th September 2017, 05:36 PM
Tested out the air tank , was able to get from 15psi to 25psi in about 15 seconds and that's with a chunky 33" muddie so thinking a double tank setup could be the go .Awesome..
I think my thumper will appreciate a tank..
I have a 5kg tank at home actually lol..
I'll clean it up and oil the inside with fish oil..
Think I'll mount it outside the cabbin though

mudnut
13th September 2017, 05:46 PM
bigguwesty Fish oil eventually dries out (may flake off) and also goes milky when subjected to moisture.

GQtdauto
13th September 2017, 08:00 PM
Awesome..
I think my thumper will appreciate a tank..
I have a 5kg tank at home actually lol..
I'll clean it up and oil the inside with fish oil..
Think I'll mount it outside the cabbin though

If yours is the double thumper like mine it's rusting the fittings so must be a lot of condensation in there somewhere , must put something in the tank to rust proof it myself .
Pumped up the trailer tyre today and from 20 to 38 psi in about the same 15 secs .

PeeBee
13th September 2017, 09:23 PM
If yours is the double thumper like mine it's rusting the fittings so must be a lot of condensation in there somewhere , must put something in the tank to rust proof it myself .
Pumped up the trailer tyre today and from 20 to 38 psi in about the same 15 secs .

Condensation is simply from the air compressing and cooling. You wont exclude it, but to get rid of it you need to vent it to atmosphere, which unfortunately means you lose the pressure. To maintain the pressure without the moisture, you need a drier, but not practical. MB suffered from this on a recent trip where the moisture froze and disabled the difflocks. If you want everything to be 'rust free' go stainless or aluminium.

Bush Ranger
14th September 2017, 06:50 PM
Filled up the wind screen washer bottle.

Rossco
14th September 2017, 08:01 PM
Filled up the wind screen washer bottle.Far out . . . Any pics?

Hodge
14th September 2017, 08:11 PM
Filled up the wind screen washer bottle.
Did you disconnect your battery for 30 minutes to clear out any fault codes after ?

AB
14th September 2017, 08:18 PM
Just got a knock on the door from a stressed delivery driver bogged hard on the most shittiest driveway in Australia next road over. Man I love my Gq, what a beast!!! Apparently RACV turned up and couldn't do anything and wanted this poor bloke to get a crane in $$$

Rossco
14th September 2017, 08:28 PM
Yeah nice, what road was it on? He was pretty lucky he certainly knocked on the right door [emoji6] . . .

AB
14th September 2017, 08:33 PM
Yeah nice, what road was it on? He was pretty lucky he certainly knocked on the right door [emoji6] . . .

Reeves...

Poor bloke has been there since 5pm and no one could help him but I got dobbed in as he went to muddymans house and they drove him up here.

I had to laugh though he started freaking out because it was getting dark and he said because I have dark skin and nighttime knocking on people's door they freak out lol. Old mate no one gives a fk about colour anymore, well I hope so anyway!

Bloody driveway was crazy, half way up hill on Reeves on left. Straight down into the valley and he was off driveway down in wet swampy grass area. Kind of like your track coming down from your wood stash but grsssy wet sludge.

Rossco
14th September 2017, 08:38 PM
Yeah wow poor dude that's a fair wait. . . Good old muddyman, did you get away ok it's usually a minimum hour chat when you bump into him [emoji6]

AB
14th September 2017, 08:51 PM
Nah it was quick, I think they felt guilty as it was a classic dump and run.

Right Andy we'll leave this bloke with you bahaha

Rossco
14th September 2017, 09:01 PM
That's probably why he was there since 5, muddyman wad probably chewing his ear off for the last 2 hours lol. . .

stinno
14th September 2017, 09:41 PM
I fitted a 3 inch exhaust to my 2013 Nissan patrol today. From 4wd supacentre. Fitted really well not hard at all! So cheap only 750 odd delivered stainless steel from Berklee.

Bush Ranger
15th September 2017, 06:38 PM
Rossco No action shots, as I didn`t think of it and would`ve made a good shoot, as it was a struggle.

Hodge I think my battery was disconnected, as I was at fault for not checking when I was checking the two batteries.

Sprock
16th September 2017, 08:01 AM
Condensation is simply from the air compressing and cooling. You wont exclude it, but to get rid of it you need to vent it to atmosphere, which unfortunately means you lose the pressure. To maintain the pressure without the moisture, you need a drier, but not practical. MB suffered from this on a recent trip where the moisture froze and disabled the difflocks. If you want everything to be 'rust free' go stainless or aluminium.

An air dryer is not practical PeeBee ? So from this wild statement am I to take it you are admitting defeat & can't fit 1 on / in there somewhere ?! We run them on the trucks - bloody great things 👍🏼

PeeBee
16th September 2017, 08:58 AM
I mean that the system with a drier is probably too large to fit on our little vehicles. The driers we use in process applications are huge and a maintenance headache. Interested to see the size and configuration on your big truck though. I am more familiar with mates of mine who have air brakes on flat beds who simple have an auto purge blast that dumps collected water from the water trap, nice and simple but not a drier

Sprock
16th September 2017, 01:38 PM
I meant I was shocked that you believe an air dryer is not practical to fit on your weapon due to size etc - I never thought you'd let a minor hurdle like that stand in your way 😝. We've always had manually operated spring loaded drain ports on the trucks air tanks - via a pull cable but most have an air dryer on em these days , the upright cylinder is a bit bigger than a football - surely you could fit that in there somewhere?🤔😉

Bacho86
16th September 2017, 06:51 PM
Install and wired up the redarc tow pro elite this arvo, easy enough job just time consuming for a novice!!

When I tested everything it was showing about 5v at the rear trailer plug pin no. 5, which increased to just shy of 12v when the controller was turned up to 10 and I applied the brakes.... however the controller led's never worked - no green, blue, red light or otherwise.... given I didn't have a trailer connected is this to be executed?

Should the redarc led's be lighting up during normal driving without a trailer?

Yeti'sbeast Rossco

Rossco
16th September 2017, 10:17 PM
Hey Nath nah shouldn't light up without a trailer but as soon as you plug it in should be blue. Don't know how but knows when attached to the brakes will light up red when braking then. Took a while to calibrate mine probably half a K of on off brakes before it knew which way it was going.

Bacho86
16th September 2017, 11:09 PM
Hey Nath nah shouldn't light up without a trailer but as soon as you plug it in should be blue. Don't know how but knows when attached to the brakes will light up red when braking then. Took a while to calibrate mine probably half a K of on off brakes before it knew which way it was going.

Awesome thanks for the confirmation, hopefully picking up the camper in the next couple days so will be able to try it out!

Yeti's Beast
16th September 2017, 11:55 PM
Awesome thanks for the confirmation, hopefully picking up the camper in the next couple days so will be able to try it out!

When you first connect the camper the LED might flash various colors for a while, but that's just the unit calibrating. Once it's settled it will remain blue while connected as Rosco said.

Cheers

jay see
17th September 2017, 12:24 AM
Someting that I have to get done and I'll gladly pay for someone else to do.
Rear main seal.

Any ideas on price $200-300 or am I way off??

mudski
17th September 2017, 12:48 AM
Rear main seal.

Way off dude. Seal is Under $100, its a days job so Im guessing around $600 minimum.

jay see
17th September 2017, 01:14 AM
Way off dude. Seal is Under $100, its a days job so Im guessing around $600 minimum.A days job????

At home yeah, but in a shop on a hoist and with all the right tools 1/2 day Max. It's box out and back in. What do they charge to fit a clutch wouldn't be much different in the process would it?

What's labour rate
$80 p/h x 4 hours $360 + $100 seal = $460 and if you add gst call it 500.

Yeah your pretty close Mark.

mudski
17th September 2017, 01:59 AM
A days job????

At home yeah, but in a shop on a hoist and with all the right tools 1/2 day Max. It's box out and back in. What do they charge to fit a clutch wouldn't be much different in the process would it?

What's labour rate

Yeah a clutch is a days job. Same time for this and a rear main. Eric might remember what he was charged for a clutch r & r. Hodge.

jay see
17th September 2017, 02:17 AM
D!ckhead I am.
Should have got it changed when I got the reduction gears put in. It was wet but never dropped oil.[emoji16]

Bacho86
17th September 2017, 08:16 AM
Rear main seal.

Unfortunately mate that's going to be an expensive one, mine was almost $1000 - and that was shopping around!

As Mudski said the part itself is less than $100, but it's the labour cost / time that kills you

And what 4wd mechanic are you going to that only charges $80 for labour?? Lol

Hodge
17th September 2017, 09:43 AM
A days job????

What's labour rate

Yeah a clutch is a days job. Same time for this and a rear main. Eric might remember what he was charged for a clutch r & r. @Hodge (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?u=15680).

Clutch replacement was around $650 labour. Majority of labour being the gearbox on / off.

I don't know how much more of labour there is for a rear main seal for your motor mate...
I asked about doing my rear main seal while my gear box was off for this, even though it wasn't leaking I thought about being pro-active.
But, On my motor i've been told it could be a hefty job. Something to do with peeling off the gasket from underneath the sump as that has to come off too sometimes. So doing the rear main seal could be opening up a can of worms. So I opted for NOT getting it done...

I don't know about your motor John, could be simple?

jay see
17th September 2017, 11:48 AM

It doesn't have to be a 4wd mechanic.

Will do the ring around during the week and see what I get.

Winnie
17th September 2017, 01:21 PM
Unfortunately mate that's going to be an expensive one, mine was almost $1000 - and that was shopping around!

As Mudski said the part itself is less than $100, but it's the labour cost / time that kills you

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah, doing bloody well if you can get labour under $100/hour!

nissannewby
17th September 2017, 03:39 PM
Rear main seal.

Anyone decent should be able to do it for 6-800 plus parts. If the tb45 is similar to the td42 then the seal retainer requires a gasket and it would be best to do a sump gasket as well. Good mech shouldnt charge anymore than 100/hr.

Bacho86
17th September 2017, 09:15 PM
Pick up the camper trailer and towed it home tonight.

Redarc controller took awhile to calibrate (about 15 mins driving), but once it was eventually dialled in all seemed to be working well!

Yeti's Beast
17th September 2017, 11:37 PM

Redarc controller took awhile to calibrate (about 15 mins driving), but once it was eventually dialled in all seemed to be working well!

I freaked out at first when I saw the flashing led , then I read the manual. Lol
Where did you end up installing it?

jay see
18th September 2017, 08:16 PM
In no particular order.

On track 4x4

$110 p/h + parts quoted 5 hours.

4x4 Obsession

$670

Goodyear

$1150

They also charge. $110 p/h

Wanted to to get a Joe blow workshop price as well maybe tomorrow.

lucus30
19th September 2017, 07:06 PM

What!!!! Must have missed this one....

Bacho86
19th September 2017, 09:25 PM
What!!!! Must have missed this one....

Yeh mate just a cheap second hand generic soft floor off-road camper trailer, nothing as flashy as your beast! Haha

Opportunity came up threw a mates brother that was too good to pass up!

PeeBee
19th September 2017, 09:50 PM
Installed a new Vertex UHF radio and antenna.

lucus30
19th September 2017, 09:54 PM
Yeh mate just a cheap second hand generic soft floor off-road camper trailer, nothing as flashy as your beast! Haha

Opportunity came up threw a mates brother that was too good to pass up!

Awesome mate. Can't wait to see it, let the mods begin

PeeBee
23rd September 2017, 03:59 PM
Swapped over the front and rear brake pads to RDA Extreme units. Installed new fuel tank drain valves, Mounted the fuel tank heater pads on main and aux. tanks - now need to wire to a central point. Big half days work, knackered now.

MB
23rd September 2017, 04:35 PM
How do they feel Phil the (RDA's) had a test drive yet mate? Need to get serious oneday soon on mine too!

jay see
23rd September 2017, 04:50 PM
How do they feel Phil the (RDA's) had a test drive yet mate? Need to get serious oneday soon on mine too!Me too.

Rotated my tyres yesterday and not much brakes left, probably last me till the end of the year.

PeeBee
23rd September 2017, 05:00 PM
Will know on Monday when I take it for a long spin to get some numbers on the fuel consumption computer I have finally gotten installed and configured. One immediate impression was the braking was a bit quieter and certainly the pedal feel was a bit more 'plumper' rather than straight out rock hard. The pads i removed were the original 'as delivered' pads from Nissan in 1997. These were the same pads I used for the 'extreme fatigue' brake test' as part of the engineering upgrade, and they had a heap of meat still on them. Funny thing though was some pads had double thickness shims and others didn't - anyone know why? I simply installed the RDA units with their supplied shims.

jay see
24th September 2017, 01:48 AM
Fitted a mechanical gauge to find out if I have a oil pressure issue or not.

I took a couple of videos. Sorry they may be a little long. The gauge is in kpa below is some screenshots of different values.

I will leave it connected for a few days and get a some readings while driving to and from work.

Going by the specs in the manual idle above 7 psi and 43-71 @ 2800 rpm.

At this stage I think that I'm alright. Looks like the Electrical gauge is inaccurate when I left off the accelerator, under no load.

Videos

https://youtu.be/p_LRJ1vLWcM

https://youtu.be/guQeYMAB8VA

https://youtu.be/GTEhNqA98Yohttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/151.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/152.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/153.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/154.jpg

MudRunnerTD
24th September 2017, 08:58 PM
I fitted new Bendix 4wd brake pads in the a GUIV today. Was really pleased to see very even wear front and back.

jay see
24th September 2017, 10:54 PM
I fitted new Bendix 4wd brake pads in the a GUIV today. Was really pleased to see very even wear front and back.I've got them in ATM and have also noticed even wear got a couple of mm left on mine. Will be putting them in again.

PeeBee
25th September 2017, 02:16 PM
Took mine out for a quick spin, stops heaps better, better pedal feel and quieter. happy at this point, will see how they stack up on the tracks and at speed.

gaddy
25th September 2017, 10:28 PM
Parked it beside a big termite mound on the Plenty Hwy 😉http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/163.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bacho86
27th September 2017, 08:33 PM
I freaked out at first when I saw the flashing led , then I read the manual. Lol
Where did you end up installing it?

Sorry for the late reply mate, missed this post.

Photo:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/173.jpg

PeeBee
27th September 2017, 09:36 PM
Ran and connected the wiring for the tank and filter heaters today. Marked out the position for the bonnet 'gills' to aid under bonnet cooling, and cut the bonnet supports away from the skin - doing the cut-outs tomorrow.

PeeBee
29th September 2017, 11:29 AM
Ran and connected the wiring for the tank and filter heaters today. Marked out the position for the bonnet 'gills' to aid under bonnet cooling, and cut the bonnet supports away from the skin - doing the cut-outs tomorrow.

Bonnet gills installed, fiddly job, heart in mouth as I cut the holes in the bonnet though! Came up well. The fibreglass gills didn't come with any fixing bolts, so used araldite, with mixed success - can't take a tensile load so had a few break off. Ended up using a black SIKAFLEX product and the bolts in combination to pull it down to the bonnet profile. 7331673317

I will eventually get them colour matched when i get the rear section of the roof above the rear doors touched up from numerous dropping of stuff and chips formed.

Ben-e-boy
29th September 2017, 11:51 AM
Bonnet gills installed, fiddly job, heart in mouth as I cut the holes in the bonnet though! Came up well. The fibreglass gills didn't come with any fixing bolts, so used araldite, with mixed success - can't take a tensile load so had a few break off. Ended up using a black SIKAFLEX product and the bolts in combination to pull it down to the bonnet profile. 7331673317

I will eventually get them colour matched when i get the rear section of the roof above the rear doors touched up from numerous dropping of stuff and chips formed.

It would be interesting to see a string/tissue paper or whatever test to see which way the air flows through the vents

PeeBee
29th September 2017, 12:09 PM
Good idea, will do that for sure. I am working on the air flowing out from under the bonnet.

katwoman
29th September 2017, 02:10 PM
Polished his bullbar.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/183.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/184.jpg

Ben-e-boy
29th September 2017, 03:51 PM
Good idea, will do that for sure. I am working on the air flowing out from under the bonnet.

It will at slow speed definitely. I have installed these on a turbo tb42 and you can see the heat rising through at basically a stand still, but at speed it is high pressure at the base of the windscreen, and forward of the cowl. What I would like to know at say 100kmh which way air is travelling.

PeeBee
29th September 2017, 05:16 PM
It will at slow speed definitely. I have installed these on a turbo tb42 and you can see the heat rising through at basically a stand still, but at speed it is high pressure at the base of the windscreen, and forward of the cowl. What I would like to know at say 100kmh which way air is travelling.

OK, took a piece of fine string and stuck it to the bonnet. Went for a spin and totally baffled.

0-15K/HR no movement

16- 100K/HR, the string pivots around and faces the direction of travel up to about 95, then it starts to flap from side to side - drivers to passenger side. The string sits flat on the bonnet. the location of the string was varied from centre of bonnet to in front of the new GILLS, and then on the GILLS, exactly the same effect.

At idle, I can feel a gentle airflow coming out of the GILLs, but not enough velocity to move the string.

So I have achieved what i wanted that being a low speed escape path for the heat, but now curious to understand the airflow which is contrary to what i would have thought - I was expecting a flow in the direction of the windscreen - doesn't happen.

Any ideas????

GQtdauto
29th September 2017, 06:17 PM
If the only way airflow could escape from the engine is through the vents it would but I'm sure most of it if not all escapes through the bottom of the engine because it's the easiest path of travel for it .

PeeBee
29th September 2017, 06:54 PM
If the only way airflow could escape from the engine is through the vents it would but I'm sure most of it if not all escapes through the bottom of the engine because it's the easiest path of travel for it .

Agree???????

Ben-e-boy
29th September 2017, 09:07 PM
OK, took a piece of fine string and stuck it to the bonnet. Went for a spin and totally baffled.

0-15K/HR no movement

16- 100K/HR, the string pivots around and faces the direction of travel up to about 95, then it starts to flap from side to side - drivers to passenger side. The string sits flat on the bonnet. the location of the string was varied from centre of bonnet to in front of the new GILLS, and then on the GILLS, exactly the same effect.

At idle, I can feel a gentle airflow coming out of the GILLs, but not enough velocity to move the string.

So I have achieved what i wanted that being a low speed escape path for the heat, but now curious to understand the airflow which is contrary to what i would have thought - I was expecting a flow in the direction of the windscreen - doesn't happen.

Any ideas????

I would redo that test using multiple pieces of string all over the bonnet, and around the vents, that way you will get a solid indication of is actually happening over the majority or all of the bonnet.

I really know bugger all on the subject, but the string flapping side to side, to me says turbulence and lots of it?