PDA

View Full Version : What did you do to your Patrol today!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Winnie
25th January 2017, 09:01 PM
Im actually looking at a Y62 because of some of the reasons you list.
Awesome car... I'd love one

MB
25th January 2017, 09:15 PM
Winnie mate, you'll get to spoil yourself with a Y63 and or Y64/5/6/7 once first newborn gets outa nappies, then primary, then high school mandatory hologram laptops @ $30k per year 2030+ semesters :-) Just jokes mate, your mighty GQ has many years family loving to come ;-) !

Winnie
25th January 2017, 09:24 PM
Winnie mate, you'll get to spoil yourself with a Y63 and or Y64/5/6/7 once first newborn gets outa nappies, then primary, then high school mandatory hologram laptops @ $30k per year 2030+ semesters :-) Just jokes mate, your mighty GQ has many years family loving to come ;-) !
When I win Tattslotto mate I'll be ordering a brand new Ti Y62 and doing the full works on the GQ.
Umm, you're supposed to buy tickets to be in the running though aren't you?

Clunk
25th January 2017, 09:28 PM
If I only had 2 kids it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but 3 of the little bastards, ooops I mean cherubs [emoji12], gets a bit blurghhhh to coin a BA phrase lol

Anyone want one...... free to a good home?

TPC
25th January 2017, 10:09 PM
If I only had 2 kids it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but 3 of the little bastards, ooops I mean cherubs [emoji12], gets a bit blurghhhh to coin a BA phrase lol

Anyone want one...... free to a good home?

You could try selling them for medical experiments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsWxkU0g9Z4

Clunk
25th January 2017, 10:13 PM
You could try selling them for medical experiments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsWxkU0g9Z4

I thought that was only allowed in the Catholic society though????

katwoman
25th January 2017, 10:20 PM
Drove her down the street to test the new seat.. I think I like it

PeeBee
26th January 2017, 07:20 PM
Drove her down the street to test the new seat.. I think I like it

What seat did you buy Kat? I am looking to upgrade an older style recaro as its not 'body hugging enough'?

TPC
26th January 2017, 08:11 PM
Had a look at the rear brakes on the G60, spent ages getting one drum off, it took a lot of bashing and swearing and cursing to get it to budge.
Have found the cylinder and the shoe adjuster are both jammed.

katwoman
26th January 2017, 08:16 PM
What seat did you buy Kat? I am looking to upgrade an older style recaro as its not 'body hugging enough'?

Just a EL falcon seat. But bro in law made the bracket about 10cm higher. Makes all the difference. I'm told BA seats work well too. Going to spend the next 4 weeks in it. Also have an old recaro as back up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nissannewby
27th January 2017, 10:40 AM

That have come down quite a lot. A few people have been getting new ti's as low as 64k.

threedogs
27th January 2017, 10:54 AM

be wary of high thigh bolsters you'll wear them through very quickly.
A decent seat usually has the rhs bolster slightly smaller than the lhs
so you can get in and out easier.
For touring Id recommend the the Strato ltss suspenion seat.
I have a Strato ,,raised it 40mm so now over bonnet view is great

PeeBee
27th January 2017, 03:19 PM
be wary of high thigh bolsters you'll wear them through very quickly.
A decent seat usually has the rhs bolster slightly smaller than the lhs
so you can get in and out easier.
For touring Id recommend the the Strato ltss suspenion seat.
I have a Strato ,,raised it 40mm so now over bonnet view is great

My Recaro sits on a bostrum gas base as well. Its a good seat, has had the drivers entry side boster replaced about 19 yrs ago as it finally collapsed. I will have a look at the seat you mention.

TPC
28th January 2017, 06:18 PM
GU- Replaced the faulty reversing camera.

G60-Swore at it some more, freed up the shoe adjuster and the cylinder. Have only worked on the passenger side rear so far.
Whose stupid idea was it to buy an old 4WD to fix up.

Parksy
29th January 2017, 12:21 PM
Gave the patrol some much needed tlc. Sprayed the underside with my own rust inhibitor mix. Fitted the roof rack and gave the body a clean and detail. Looking like a 25 year old new car...
If anyone hasn't read my build thread, it's got a freshly rebuilt engine and just installed a new fuel pump and it's running like a dream!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/DBAE3FE2-1649-494D-9D5C-DE823904069B.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Pakas/media/DBAE3FE2-1649-494D-9D5C-DE823904069B.jpg.html)

katwoman
29th January 2017, 12:47 PM
GU- Replaced the faulty reversing camera.

G60-Swore at it some more, freed up the shoe adjuster and the cylinder. Have only worked on the passenger side rear so far.
Whose stupid idea was it to buy an old 4WD to fix up.

Hahahahahahaha. Oh my god. Hahahahahahaha. ( sorry)

katwoman
29th January 2017, 12:51 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/161.jpg
Took the roof rack off, so she'll fit on the boat. Looks retarded.

Bacho86
29th January 2017, 01:17 PM

There's something about a roof rack that definitely makes them look tougher !!

Clunk
29th January 2017, 01:22 PM

Well it is a GU [emoji12]

DX grunt
29th January 2017, 01:26 PM
I drove it off the wet gravel verge onto the bitumen. Now I've got to wash it. Lol

Sir Roofy
29th January 2017, 04:41 PM
I drove it off the wet gravel verge onto the bitumen. Now I've got to wash it. Lol

No way bet that was scary for you :p

Hodge
29th January 2017, 06:30 PM
Locked hubs and low ranged it first time in ... Well over a year lol. Sad really.
To reverse mates boat up a bit of a inclined driveway ...

Sent from S5

PeeBee
29th January 2017, 06:34 PM
Still trying to get the motivation to drop the aux. tank to flush it out. I spoke harshly to the beast this morning about the effort required, however got the usual 'silent response', which i take means, just get on with it.

gaddy
29th January 2017, 07:10 PM
Drove it home after a great 4 days off http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/163.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/164.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/165.jpg ...http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/166.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Mc4by
29th January 2017, 07:47 PM
Ran the fenceline track in Dwellingup.
Quiet reflection by Scarp Pool before going home.

threedogs
30th January 2017, 05:14 PM
Parksy your Patrol has to be the cleanest, most looked after GQ in Australia.
Its better than OE and should be in a Nissan Patrol Museum for all to admire, lol
or out on the tracks doing it thang ,,,,,

mudnut
2nd February 2017, 03:08 PM
Got a tyre rotation and front end alignment. The front left had slight feathering because after the tower spring braces were fitted the R-send was lifted almost 15mm. That on top of the 2" lift caused it, I hope. The Rugged Terrains are performing really well with a few trips offroad as well.

NissanGQ4.2
2nd February 2017, 04:03 PM
About 2 pour some petrol over it and the crappadore and strike a match!!!!

Hodge
2nd February 2017, 05:20 PM
About 2 pour some petrol over it and the crappadore and strike a match!!!!
What's happened mate.

Sent from S5

Hodge
2nd February 2017, 05:28 PM
Booked mine in for clutch replacement and front ARB locker fitting. Two items that have been sitting in the garage for about a year now...
Also valve clearances, brakes & fluids, full service, etc...

GQtdauto
2nd February 2017, 07:19 PM
Putting finishing touches to Titan draws , fridge plug was working it's way out so now Anderson plug .
Current job is installing third battery which will go beside fridge on passenger side so will have main crank plus two 110 amp gel cell batteries in car and two 105? Amp in camper trailer , fridge in car 45 ltr will be used as a freezer , 60 ltr ARB in camper as a drinks and food fridge .
Just finished the cooling fan to back of fridge mounting still have to put in the switch and the fridge switch and get proper tie downs .
Setting up for desert trip in may / June .

TPC
2nd February 2017, 07:29 PM
Putting finishing touches to Titan draws , fridge plug was working it's way out so now Anderson plug .
Current job is installing third battery which will go beside fridge on passenger side so will have main crank plus two 110 amp gel cell batteries in car and two 105? Amp in camper trailer , fridge in car 45 ltr will be used as a freezer , 60 ltr ARB in camper as a drinks and food fridge .
Just finished the cooling fan to back of fridge mounting still have to put in the switch and the fridge switch and get proper tie downs .

You are going to have some trouble with those, you put them in upside down and everything will fall out.

GQtdauto
2nd February 2017, 07:33 PM
You mean the fuse panel ? Haven't decided on a location yet so it's temp .

Patrol'n
2nd February 2017, 08:48 PM
Installed new Superior Engineering upper control arms including bent driver's side one. Next mod will be the Auxilliary belly tank me thinks. Should give me about 220 litres fuel capacity :-)

Wine_maker
12th February 2017, 11:01 PM
Just bought a set of stock coil springs from long GU, 2009 year. Looks very nice I think.

Mate changed them to TJM +2"

How they will be for short GQ?
Am I right, that the higher front spring for driver side and there is no difference for rear springs?

jay see
14th February 2017, 10:27 AM
Getting a gas service done.
The system that it has no body has the program to tune it, except for the guy that installed it and he's in Dandenong, 60ks away. Last one was done in June '14 a month after I bought it.

threedogs
14th February 2017, 03:32 PM
Getting a gas service done.
The system that it has no body has the program to tune it, except for the guy that installed it and he's in Dandenong, 60ks away. Last one was done in June '14 a month after I bought it.

who installed it was it smithy's
around the corner from Piranha and Brown Davis

threedogs
14th February 2017, 03:36 PM

Have you seen the Engel Transit bases, Ive had mine for years in 2 different 4x4
can't praise them highly enough.
I also fitted a digital thermostat might want to have a search about that one
again a great mod imo

jay see
14th February 2017, 03:50 PM
who installed it was it smithy's
around the corner from Piranha and Brown Davis
Nah, some small work shop that's been there for 30 odd years. He has the rights to the programe and won't give it to anyone. Pita lose a whole day.

Throw up a knock sensor fault.
Something else to do...

garett
16th February 2017, 07:57 AM
finally put on the other side step. only about 50 more things to get around too

PeeBee
17th February 2017, 05:59 PM
Installed step-up transformer to drive the LED lightbars at 28V, rated at 40a - turned it on and burnt the retinas out of my eyeballs - very very bright! No, I don't have before and after shots, but turned on with 28V in half bright sunlight the garage insides simply washed out to white. Will see how they last and what effect they have on other road users or when using in the bush - probably overkill. in close quarters.

mudnut
20th February 2017, 02:04 PM
Felt a bit of "chatter" in the steering directly after having a wheel alignment. I adjusted the steering box grub screw and all is well. Strange that it needed doing though.

threedogs
20th February 2017, 03:29 PM
Installed step-up transformer to drive the LED lightbars at 28V, rated at 40a - turned it on and burnt the retinas out of my eyeballs - very very bright! No, I don't have before and after shots, but turned on with 28V in half bright sunlight the garage insides simply washed out to white. Will see how they last and what effect they have on other road users or when using in the bush - probably overkill. in close quarters.

This sounds like a decent mod, got any more info about it, very interested
seeing most light bars are what 9-30volts??

PeeBee
20th February 2017, 04:42 PM
This sounds like a decent mod, got any more info about it, very interested
seeing most light bars are what 9-30volts??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152215332824?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This one is 30A, but you can get another for 40a, which I did. Simple to wire, just need to find somewhere to fit it - IP68, so a dunking won't hurt it. It does 'buzz though' but you can only hear that with the bonnet up.

Clunk
20th February 2017, 05:09 PM
drove it to the panel beaters

4bye4
20th February 2017, 05:29 PM

Betcha wish you drove it home from the panel beaters.

Clunk
20th February 2017, 06:35 PM
Betcha wish you drove it home from the panel beaters.

only because I don't like relying on others for lifts to and from work

PeeBee
21st February 2017, 10:28 AM

GQTD, do you have any details on the cooling fan you have used? I have installed a temperature controlled unit directly above the engel that turns on when the air temp gets to 36Deg and off at 30 - its fully automatic but a bit bulky - have tried a number of the 'computer style' cooling fans but they don't last - yours looks a lot heavy duty than the ones I have used.

threedogs
21st February 2017, 11:08 AM
GQTD, do you have any details on the cooling fan you have used? I have installed a temperature controlled unit directly above the engel that turns on when the air temp gets to 36Deg and off at 30 - its fully automatic but a bit bulky - have tried a number of the 'computer style' cooling fans but they don't last - yours looks a lot heavy duty than the ones I have used.

I used a small computer style fan that blows air on the motor everytime it cycles.
very cheap and easy as ti fit and wire, Huge bang for buck outcome imo
Been in for over 20yrs and still going strong

threedogs
21st February 2017, 11:42 AM

Got to be happy [sort of] about that

PeeBee
21st February 2017, 12:04 PM
I used a small computer style fan that blows air on the motor everytime it cycles.
very cheap and easy as ti fit and wire, Huge bang for buck outcome imo
Been in for over 20yrs and still going strong

TD, do you have a make and model, understanding its probably been superceded, but my experience is the tiny bushes/bearing don't take the vibration.

GQtdauto
21st February 2017, 12:59 PM
The fan I used is just out of a desk top that was being pulled apart , I got two out of it but used the bigger one , very impressed by the help it gives , fridge cools quicker and in the heat of summer doesn't cycle as much which has to be a good thing .
Mine is not thermo switched but switched manually , I have it on during the day and switch it off before going to bed or if the temp drops outside .
Power consumption is next to nothing , supposed to be 1 watt and won't register on my amp Meter .
I set mine up to blow air in the back of the fridge and it then comes out the sides , with enough force to blow a cigarette lighter out .
Not concerned about durability so much as I snagged three of them for nothing , other two are smaller but will make sure I'm around when they trash the next desk top computer for sure .

GQtdauto
21st February 2017, 01:16 PM
PB , the fan is 100mm but can't give specs without removing the bugger , I know it's brushless and consumes same power as smaller 70mm fan in the picture below .
Two toggle switches on left are fridge and fan , love the switches that light up when they're on and off when not .

Covo71
21st February 2017, 01:57 PM
New overflow bottle and put in the compressor. 71030

threedogs
21st February 2017, 02:07 PM
TD, do you have a make and model, understanding its probably been superceded, but my experience is the tiny bushes/bearing don't take the vibration.

It was so long ago but not a fan as such but more a blower,
link is for style only not the one used
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brushless-Cooling-Blower-Fan-50mm-x-50mm-x-15mm-5V-USB-Aussie-Seller-/262860310043?hash=item3d33b2061b:g:FcIAAOSw2gxYqXN y

PeeBee
21st February 2017, 04:57 PM
TD, GQTD, thanks guys for the effort. I will start the hunt as a supplement to my temp activated unit.

GQtdauto
21st February 2017, 05:24 PM
Makes me wonder threedogs , what is better blower or fan ?

Rossco
21st February 2017, 05:38 PM
Balance, rotation and adjust front wheel bearings as the dreaded death wobbles were starting to rear is ugly head. She seems perfect now so a pretty cheap one. . . Got me leaky pinion fixed too. . .

Coger
21st February 2017, 07:04 PM
GQTD, Different situation same idea, might be of interest, hopefully not too far off track. In my caravan I have a 12v compressor in a cabinet, original had a fan suck from compressor and push thru the condenser each cycle, I mounted a fan the other side of condenser to pull air away from the unit (on/off switch) mainly to run when traveling. Then put a temp switch on the compressor housing with a fan sucking air out of the cabinet when compressor started to work hard. This had a marked effect on cycle times.

GQtdauto
21st February 2017, 07:19 PM
That's actually where I heard of the idea , as to wether it works better blowing into or sucking air from the motor area I suppose is debatable, people also put the same fans inside the fridge for more consistent cooling supposedly.

threedogs
22nd February 2017, 12:14 PM
Makes me wonder threedogs , what is better blower or fan ?

TBH I only used it as it was lying around, I looked at the Engel Turbo 40ltr
and the turbo was the addition of the fan. I left the fridge running for years
off the aux battery as I was travelling a fair bit. Now not so much.
Take the cover[metal] off your Engel theres not much to them.

threedogs
24th February 2017, 09:27 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152215332824?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This one is 30A, but you can get another for 40a, which I did. Simple to wire, just need to find somewhere to fit it - IP68, so a dunking won't hurt it. It does 'buzz though' but you can only hear that with the bonnet up.

Would this do a similar thing ??
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-DC-Converter-12V-to-24V-20A-480W-Step-Up-Boost-Power-Supply-Module-Car-/161856391189

threedogs
24th February 2017, 09:52 AM
Brought some 90/100 H4 halogen globes, not arctic blue just plain old H4 90/100
globes. I have the light bar which Im about to fit a sep up transformer to ,,so that
should brighten things up heaps. Think kiss is the way to go lol

PeeBee
24th February 2017, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=threedogs;716362]Would this do a similar thing ??
[url]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New
Yes, but the max output is at the highest voltage rating, and the led's are rated at 10-30V, hence why I went for 28v as next just appeared to be 48V. it academic really as I wont be switching from 12v to 28 v to check. I did look at that one but went for higher amperage also.

PeeBee
24th February 2017, 10:04 AM
Brought some 90/100 H4 halogen globes, not arctic blue just plain old H4 90/100
globes. I have the light bar which Im about to fit a sep up transformer to ,,so that
should brighten things up heaps. Think kiss is the way to go lol

I am staying with the 70W HID's for the time being for headlights, until I resolve the GVM upgrade

threedogs
24th February 2017, 10:10 AM
I am staying with the 70W HID's for the time being for headlights, until I resolve the GVM upgrade

my headlights are 100watt HID and have burnt some of the reflective material off.
I dont do much night driving if any.
On the transformer my light bar is 240watts drawing 20 amps
Ill see which is the cheapest option to get better light what do you think
would suit,,,thinking running the higher volts will bring the amps down by half

PeeBee
24th February 2017, 11:05 AM
my headlights are 100watt HID and have burnt some of the reflective material off.
I dont do much night driving if any.
On the transformer my light bar is 240watts drawing 20 amps
Ill see which is the cheapest option to get better light what do you think
would suit,,,thinking running the higher volts will bring the amps down by half
TD, have a look at related read of a similar topic I raised recently re my 700w lightbar. The explanation by 'sorry forgot his tag' was really good. You can then do the 'numbers on what your current draw will be - its not a straight Ohms law determination. I ended up tong testing my current draw with a tong tester that did DC, and found I was drawing 9amp at 12V, which equated to 108W. The unit was supplied with a 40amp fuse - nothing added up. For me, I went with the 28V unit and as high an amperage rating I could get, even though it would not, in theory provide enough capacity. Either way, I think you will see a tangible difference. I am not an electrical engineer so cant comment regards what you are currently finding, as it does not seem to match what I have experienced - is you transformer voltage 12V?

garett
24th February 2017, 06:55 PM
changed an engine mount.. the old one may or may not of fallen in two.

Parksy
25th February 2017, 08:08 PM
Re tinting the patrols windows. About half way through and happy with the results. Not perfect mind you but a million times better than the condition of the old stuff.

growler2058
25th February 2017, 08:47 PM
Dawes and needle fitted cheers mudski for the callhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/190.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/191.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/192.jpg
And nearly got this all fitted. Just gotta tighten it up in the morning

Ben-e-boy
25th February 2017, 08:56 PM
Swung a spanner on the ute for the first time in what seems like years. Pulled one front shock off as it has a bent shaft, the other one has pitting and rust has started showing up, so I'll replace the shafts, change the shim stack start and doing my own shock tuning

Only basic tools required to strip them down

Parksy
26th February 2017, 12:29 PM
Almost finished tinting. I left the front windows to show the comparison.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/D4DD7CCC-7FC6-44DF-84E0-C8BFD419B476.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Pakas/media/D4DD7CCC-7FC6-44DF-84E0-C8BFD419B476.jpg.html)

gubigfish
26th February 2017, 01:54 PM
Dawes and needle fitted cheers mudski for the callhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/190.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/191.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/192.jpg
And nearly got this all fitted. Just gotta tighten it up in the morning

What's with the excess exhaust tube sticking out past the flange? Did they not weld those on?

Mike02Ti
26th February 2017, 03:03 PM
Parksy how hard has it been to do it yourself? Was looking at attempting it myself

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

growler2058
26th February 2017, 04:07 PM
What's with the excess exhaust tube sticking out past the flange? Did they not weld those on?

Yes mate its welded, thats similar to male/female fitting

growler2058
26th February 2017, 04:07 PM
@Parksy (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?u=13848) how hard has it been to do it yourself? Was looking at attempting it myself

Highly unlikely I'd have the patience for that :0

GQtdauto
26th February 2017, 04:24 PM
Hey growler are Hahn making exhaust lube these days ?

Parksy
26th February 2017, 04:28 PM
It takes a little practice but isn't that bad. I think the hardest part is cutting the tint to the correct size. I watched a lot of YouTube videos to get the technique down pat first.

gubigfish
27th February 2017, 08:59 AM

OK never seen it like that before, so I take it the other end of the flange is only half on the pipe to get it to seal.

threedogs
27th February 2017, 09:04 AM

Did you think of wrapping the dump pipe to keep radiant heat away from your firewall??
I see the other end has a slight flare so it all fits together, very well thought out,,,,lol

Hodge
27th February 2017, 03:29 PM
I got a hot dog welded in today. I was looking for a median sound between my muffler and the straight through. Straight was way too loud, and muffler blocked out everything...
I think i achieved it. Hot dog gave me 10db less than straight through but still retained that 4.2 growl without the that harsh loud shriek sound. So far happy.
Side effect: The whistle was cut out big time.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/199.jpg

threedogs
27th February 2017, 03:54 PM
Almost finished tinting. I left the front windows to show the comparison.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/D4DD7CCC-7FC6-44DF-84E0-C8BFD419B476.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Pakas/media/D4DD7CCC-7FC6-44DF-84E0-C8BFD419B476.jpg.html)

You must have the cleanest Patrol of all ,,, well since they started making Patrols
Ive never seen one cleaner, Kudos to you. love the tint too BTW

growler2058
27th February 2017, 06:17 PM
OK never seen it like that before, so I take it the other end of the flange is only half on the pipe to get it to seal.

Did you think of wrapping the dump pipe to keep radiant heat away from your firewall??
I see the other end has a slight flare so it all fits together, very well thought out,,,,lol

The stock nissan exhaust has the same but on a much smaller scale

Firetrol
1st March 2017, 01:35 PM
G'day Growler, did you get this from 4x4 super centre? Looks the same as the one I just had delivered & I'm pissed because it's only 2" from the dump to the cat.
On the site it states "full 3" system" & large diameter from the dump. Is it as you expected & how is it performing?

threedogs
1st March 2017, 03:17 PM
My 90-100 headlight globes arrived, when it cools down abit outside Ill remove my 100watt HID
and go back to halogen globes,

Firetrol so yours looks nothing like Growlers,,, bummer you got stitched

Firetrol
1st March 2017, 03:37 PM
threedogs it looks exactly the same, shouldn't it be 3" from the turbo connection through to the cat?

threedogs
2nd March 2017, 11:10 AM
Growler2056 what size is your dump pipe Firetrol is
having troubles with his newly purchased exhaust

Firetrol
2nd March 2017, 11:31 AM
Growler2056 what size is your done pipe Firetrol is
having troubles with his newly purchased exhaust

Thanks threedogs, Growler commented on another post that his was the same as mine. He also had a few other issues with the mounts.
I'm trying to decide whether to run with it anyway as it may not be an easy return.

threedogs
2nd March 2017, 12:55 PM
if it looks the same as Growlers ,,,whats the issue ???

stevemc181
2nd March 2017, 05:07 PM
I wired my Wholesale Automatics Torque Converter lock up switch module into the Transmission ECU harness. Not quite complete, need to finish it off and work out where I am going to mount the switch in easy reach. I just have it hanging loose at the moment as I ran out of time.

Firetrol
2nd March 2017, 05:34 PM
if it looks the same as Growlers ,,,whats the issue ???

They both only have a 2" dump pipe.

threedogs
3rd March 2017, 10:17 AM
I wired my Wholesale Automatics Torque Converter lock up switch module into the Transmission ECU harness. Not quite complete, need to finish it off and work out where I am going to mount the switch in easy reach. I just have it hanging loose at the moment as I ran out of time.

Dont you put a momentary button on the foot rest??

GQtdauto
3rd March 2017, 12:29 PM
Nearly finished the extra storage in the back , made use of the old fridge slide and put a Plano marine storage box on it , pulls out further than needed to get at the rear latch , still have to mount compressor in behind storage box which will be switched on off at centre console .
Storage above box is for two floor mats , one for mozzie tent floor other for camper trailer annexe , with just enough space left for mozzie tent .
Portable solar panel will go against divider on right side and chairs between that and side windows .
Still have to paint the unit and fit aluminium strips around the edge , will also make a hinged door above storage shelf in cargo barrier so I can access top shelf from either side .
When and if I ever finish will post some more pics .

stevemc181
3rd March 2017, 12:35 PM
Dont you put a momentary button on the foot rest??

A momentary switch would mean I would have to keep it depressed to keep the lock-up engaged, I will sometimes have the lockup engaged for an hour or two at a time, so that isn't going to work. It's just a standard carling type SPST rocker switch. I'll mount it within easy reach somewhere, probably down near the shifter. I thought about having it on the sloping bit of the centre console arm rest thingy, but I think it may get knocked too easily there.

threedogs
3rd March 2017, 12:39 PM
there is room to the Right of your auto stick I think on the later model

PeeBee
4th March 2017, 04:55 PM
Installed the additional 2 temperature probes on the oil filter and the oil cooler, replaced the super accurate temperature controller for my old 60 liter engel - drowned it when the water from the water tank splashed out of the inlet filler hole on the caledonia trip - some turkey left the lid off the tank, saw him in the mirror reflection this morning, made a 'stay' for the rear wheel carrier to stop the wheel wobbling back and forth - braced to roofrack - works a treat. drank 8 beers during the process and everything looked great at the end

threedogs
4th March 2017, 05:45 PM
Finally been well enough to stand and give the Patrol a well over due wash.
came up a treat, big polish tomorrow if all goes well, lol

Tomorrow off the Super Cheap to put a hole in my $100 gift card

Hodge
4th March 2017, 05:49 PM
Finally been well enough to stand and give the Patrol a well over due wash.
came up a treat, big polish tomorrow if all goes well, lol

Tomorrow off the Super Cheap to put a hole in my $100 gift card
You washing it for the Meetup John ?

threedogs
6th March 2017, 05:30 PM
You washing it for the Meetup John ?

Bit by bit slowly detailing it for the meet up, its just these bloody faded bumpers that drive me crazy
I'll try Winnie solution and rub some thin oil into them
Best I mount my 42" single row light bar to the passenger side of the Patrol best set up light EVER lol

stevemc181
6th March 2017, 05:58 PM
Ran some 2B&S Cable through to the rear, getting it ready for fitting my rear mounted LiFeP04 auxilliary. Took me awhile to find a spot to get it through. I ended up finding an oval shaped plate attached up high in the drivers footwell, not sure what its for, but there is about an 18mm hole behind it and nothing else attached to it. I removed the plate and reamed out the hole to suit an M20 cable gland.

First pic shows the Oval shaped plate that was removed at the top of the drivers side footwell:

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Y61%20GU%20Patrol/Dual%20Battery/IMG_4411_zps7vxdqiiq.jpg.

The 2nd pic shows the cable gland on the left hand side of the brake booster. I had to get the dremel onto it and open the hole a bit to get the M20 cable gland in. Sealed nice and tight and should do the trick no problem.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Y61%20GU%20Patrol/Dual%20Battery/IMG_4421_zpsg04sigzy.jpg

It's too damn hot outside to do anymore, so I'll give it a miss until next week. I need to wait for my ORS drawers system to turn up, so I can work out how I'm going to mount the Aux etc. Pic below is of the battery I am using, I pulled this out of my Pajero where I had it mounted in a custom cavity in my home made drawer system. 100a/h and weighs only 14kg, 80% DOD will give me an expected life cycle of 10 yrs plus with this battery. I've been using it for nearly 3yrs now and its as good as new.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Paj%20Mods/New%20Pajero%20Mods/IMG_1946_zpscce0aeab.jpg

I'll be changing the setup in the patrol to stacked drawers, so I won't have the drawer cavity like the pic below. Not sure what I'll do with it yet, it all hinges on how the new drawers fit and what room I have to play with.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/4x4Earth/Paj%20Drawers/991e54c8091c37ef712e17585db7daba_zps1cd22602.jpg

stevemc181
6th March 2017, 06:01 PM
Bit by bit slowly detailing it for the meet up, its just these bloody faded bumpers that drive me crazy
I'll try Winnie solution and rub some thin oil into them
Best I mount my 42" single row light bar to the passenger side of the Patrol best set up light EVER lol

This Autoglym Bumper and trim Gel is the ducks nuts for bumpers/snorkels etc. http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Autoglym-Bumper-Trim-Gel-325mL/383925

threedogs
6th March 2017, 06:09 PM
I'll give it a go on your recommendation tomorrow on the way back from the Docs

garett
7th March 2017, 09:10 AM
made a bracket to hold the air intake ducting so it doesn't rub on the alternator.

threedogs
7th March 2017, 11:42 AM
made a bracket to hold the air intake ducting so it doesn't rub on the alternator.

Also cable tie any aircon hoses or catch can hoses together so they wont rub through
Even hoses just resting on top of one another will cause damage

garett
7th March 2017, 05:42 PM
Also cable tie any aircon hoses or catch can hoses together so they wont rub through
Even hoses just resting on top of one another will cause damage

whats a catch can ? :P it was the only loose thing in the engine bay. will be doing a relay for each headlight later when i have time. but thats about it in the engine bay.

threedogs
10th March 2017, 09:26 AM
applied some perforated black window film to the inside cargo window
on the passenger side, it will be done in 2 pieces but will be un detectable
when finished. should allow the fridge to work a bit more efficiently lol

GQtdauto
10th March 2017, 11:33 AM
Finished the storage for beside fridge , hardwired thumper max in behind storage slide out box and wired switch to centre console .
Have put a ball valve in between pump and inflator so I can check how pressure is going without having to turn pump off .

threedogs
10th March 2017, 02:42 PM
A momentary switch would mean I would have to keep it depressed to keep the lock-up engaged, I will sometimes have the lockup engaged for an hour or two at a time, so that isn't going to work. It's just a standard carling type SPST rocker switch. I'll mount it within easy reach somewhere, probably down near the shifter. I thought about having it on the sloping bit of the centre console arm rest thingy, but I think it may get knocked too easily there.

They way I saw it was you pushed the button if ever you came to a stop.
As soon as you got going again you'd take your foot off it,,similar to a clutch

threedogs
10th March 2017, 02:46 PM
Finished the storage for beside fridge , hardwired thumper max in behind storage slide out box and wired switch to centre console .
Have put a ball valve in between pump and inflator so I can check how pressure is going without having to turn pump off .

Good to see you have the photos up the right way around, if fitting a tank
I'd be fitting a one way valve to stop the pressure releasing back through
the compressor, Good value those pumps, I have one pump that cost me $600 plus
from Big Balls Off Road, not even close to my single headed Thumper

GQtdauto
10th March 2017, 03:09 PM
Thanks threedogs , to be honest now I've tried it out with the ball valve on the inflator I'm impressed as to how good these pumps really are .
May put a tank on it and a line under roof rack both sides , just open sliding window and connect short hose to supply air from compressor.
Love they way it cuts out by itself at 150 psi and restarts at just under 100 psi , it's amazing to hear the air rush in just from the line .
Might do some investigating to see if I can set it up like a servo , ie set to 16 psi it automatically lowers pressure , set to 40 it automatically sets to that then cuts out .
More than happy with it and now the pumps fixed in position out of the way and hard wired so the only mucking around is the hose .

stevemc181
10th March 2017, 03:59 PM
They way I saw it was you pushed the button if ever you came to a stop.
As soon as you got going again you'd take your foot off it,,similar to a clutch

No, it doesn't work like that. It is so I can manually lock the transmission torque converter, mainly used on the long highway runs with bigger wheels or when towing. This allows the transmission to run much cooler without the constant slipping of the torque converter. It will also allow the transmission to give much more effective engine braking on the steep downhill runs.

I probably won't use it much until I chip and exhaust the ZD30, she's too big a slug with the 33's on it now and is constantly up and down the gears on the slightest hills. I removed the lock up kit from my Pajero and just bought a new wiring harness to suit the Patrol. No point in leaving it in the Paj as the missus uses it now as her daily and would never use the lock-up switch.

Bacho86
11th March 2017, 10:09 AM
Had the 160km major serivce completed, including front wheel bearings replaced which had just started marking an awful noise!!

Hodge
11th March 2017, 11:34 AM
Yesterday. Had the car dynoed again. Replaced all pulleys/tensioners, replaced viscous hub. Bearing noise gone whichever it was happy days so far.

threedogs
11th March 2017, 05:51 PM
Thanks threedogs , to be honest now I've tried it out with the ball valve on the inflator I'm impressed as to how good these pumps really are .
May put a tank on it and a line under roof rack both sides , just open sliding window and connect short hose to supply air from compressor.
Love they way it cuts out by itself at 150 psi and restarts at just under 100 psi , it's amazing to hear the air rush in just from the line .
Might do some investigating to see if I can set it up like a servo , ie set to 16 psi it automatically lowers pressure , set to 40 it automatically sets to that then cuts out .
More than happy with it and now the pumps fixed in position out of the way and hard wired so the only mucking around is the hose .

Some shops will fit a hotdog style tank along the chassis near the sills plenty of air for locker and to pop a tyre back on a rim.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181288470635?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I have one of these tanks I need to remove from my other 4x4 and fit it to the cargo barrier, I have another tank with motor,,
pressure switch etc that will run an air horn, this larger tank will run front Pro-locker and reinflate tyres.
I also have a small air horn pump that Im hoping to use via a needle valve to pressurize my Warn XP 9.5 winch
to waterproof it some what. Now its getting a bit cooler I'll be able to start doing some of these jobs

juzzs8
11th March 2017, 06:20 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/100.jpg installed 42' led bar today. Makes me realize I need some better headlights. Any suggestions on globes?

AB
11th March 2017, 06:48 PM
We just did a compression test on Rosscos TD42 and it did well.

400-370

One very happy little Rossco camper!

Bacho86
11th March 2017, 06:50 PM

400-370

Time for turbo upgrade then Rossco? Lol

AB
11th March 2017, 07:29 PM
Time for turbo upgrade then Rossco? Lol

Yeah he was concerned with possible condition of engine and now with his 12mm pump and a tired old turbo it's just a given.

Surely his mrs will agree lol

threedogs
11th March 2017, 07:41 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/100.jpg installed 42' led bar today. Makes me realize I need some better headlights. Any suggestions on globes?

stick with some 90/100 Ive been down the HID road and burnt the reflective
coating off the lens's,,,Keep it simple and RW as well

Bacho86
11th March 2017, 07:46 PM
Yeah he was concerned with possible condition of engine and now with his 12mm pump and a tired old turbo it's just a given.

Yeh definitely, especially since the compression has been checked out now lol

Winnie
11th March 2017, 07:49 PM
Bloody hell, would be a shame for that high compression to be ruined by his old turbo. Ticking time bomb really!
I'd be slapping a new Borgwarner on that asap Rossco to prevent some serious damage mate!

Rossco
11th March 2017, 07:55 PM

400-370

Yep cheers heaps AB & MB☺ . . . Actually did better than I expected to be honest quite happy . Thinking might do a trip or two in April then time to pull the thing apart and strap on a borg warner get the old girl to wake up a bit i think. . .

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

threedogs
11th March 2017, 08:28 PM

thinking it must be a safety issue some how lol lol surely

GQtdauto
14th March 2017, 11:34 AM
Removed the rooftop tent and put a door in the cargo barrier so the mossie awning would go on the shelf I made for it .

juzzs8
14th March 2017, 12:14 PM
Removed the rooftop tent and put a door in the cargo barrier so the mossie awning would go on the shelf I made for it .

Hey mate where did you get that bracket for your LED bar? Currently got mine bolted straight to the round tube of the roof rack and don't like it at all. Your bracket looks the goods!

Covo71
14th March 2017, 12:19 PM
Put a new OME steering dampener on. Didn't realize how sloppy it as before. Don't know if it was the original but was stamped Nissan and had little compression.

GQtdauto
14th March 2017, 12:45 PM
Hey mate where did you get that bracket for your LED bar? Currently got mine bolted straight to the round tube of the roof rack and don't like it at all. Your bracket looks the goods!

Its leftovers from the cargo barrier , or 25x3mm flat , bracket is about 100mm long on top and 90 degree bend bit was just long enough to fit the light bracket , even the existing hole in bracket was in the right spot .
I need to replace the roof screw with a bolt ,so two bolts on top of bracket holding it to roof rack and I have put one roof screw on the bend so it holds tight and won't shake off , pics below of bracket .

threedogs
14th March 2017, 01:29 PM

You can type in lightbar or bull bar brackets that should find the correct size bracket for you
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251885300941?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
You can even find some that will mount sideways
I welded tabs onto my roof rack

juzzs8
15th March 2017, 07:31 AM
You can type in lightbar or bull bar brackets that should find the correct size bracket for you
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251885300941?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
You can even find some that will mount sideways
I welded tabs onto my roof rack

Sweet as. Cheers mate!

threedogs
15th March 2017, 01:10 PM
Sweet as. Cheers mate!

This style will suit vertical mount where as the others would suit a horizontal mount.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pair-2-Bullbar-Mounting-Bracket-Clamp-51mm-for-Driving-Work-Light-Bar-Lamp-ARB-/201615390957?hash=item2ef136b8ed:g:gtcAAOSwhOVXdyp 2

jack
15th March 2017, 09:34 PM
Took it for a long overdue camping trip over the long weekend. Great time with extended family and even got to select 4WD (bonus).

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/132.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/133.jpg

Rossco
15th March 2017, 09:59 PM
Took it for a long overdue camping trip over the long weekend. Great time with extended family and even got to select 4WD (bonus).

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/132.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/133.jpg
Nice, where bouts u go? ? . .

jack
15th March 2017, 10:15 PM
Nice, where bouts u go? ? . .

About 35km from home, Mt Beckworth. Haven't been there for years and we basically had the place to ourselves.

PeeBee
21st March 2017, 07:30 PM
Fitted up the Patrolapart steering bash plate, looks good, and corrected the shoddy cable tie job on the hydraulic lines to front winch as they were pulled tight and squashing the lines.
Fitted and wired the reverse mirror screen and reversing camera, after consult with Cuppa - very happy with it so far, waiting for a higher quality camera to arrive.

threedogs
23rd March 2017, 09:31 AM
Stripped out my 100watt HID hi/low headlights and fitted some "normal" 90/100 H4 globes
the light is so yellow after using LED and HID for so long, But hey Im fully legal now I think.lol
For those out there thinking of fitting HID to your GU answer is simple "dont" it will discolour your
reflective lens

PeeBee
23rd March 2017, 09:42 AM
Stripped out my 100watt HID hi/low headlights and fitted some "normal" 90/100 H4 globes
the light is so yellow after using LED and HID for so long, But hey Im fully legal now I think.lol
For those out there thinking of fitting HID to your GU answer is simple "dont" it will discolour your
reflective lens

Limit the output to 70w Hi/Lo and you should be fine. Mine are fitted into Hella inserts and have not posed a problem, but they are not legal as stated above. Massive improvement on light output and vision in wet conditions with HID over the halogen, but....

PeeBee
23rd March 2017, 09:43 AM
reflective lens

I ran these same globes for a while and gave them away because they were dazzling on-coming traffic, even after adjustment, but never an issue with the HID's

threedogs
23rd March 2017, 01:14 PM
I ran these same globes for a while and gave them away because they were dazzling on-coming traffic, even after adjustment, but never an issue with the HID's

Nah I'll stick to the halogen for around the burbs, I have a 42" double row 240watt light bar and 100 watt HID spotties
for and hwy work

Also tomorrow if Im feeling OK I'll move my driving lights about 50mm each
so there is a bit more room in the centre.

Now its cooled down a bit Ill try and do more things, like fit the new steering damper
fit the light bar to the side of the roof rack, 42" single row, and tighten the front left wheel bearing

threedogs
24th March 2017, 02:02 PM
About 35km from home, Mt Beckworth. Haven't been there for years and we basically had the place to ourselves.

Where was the Hi-lux?
Nice set up IMO

jack
24th March 2017, 03:36 PM
Where was the Hi-lux?
Nice set up IMO

Hush Hush, don't mention the Hilux :frown:
It wasn't there, we had a Mazda & 60 Series with us. By the way I told him to take the recovery points and that you would refund if they didn't fit, he was worried that he'd end up with them if they didn't.

threedogs
24th March 2017, 03:40 PM
Apollofish
Nah he could take them ,,see if the fit after taking all those splash guards off.
If they fit good if not no harm just return them. Pretty sure they will fit, but
those slash gaurds will need to be notched to fit properly. Not 100% if he had the tools
or mechanically minded to be able to do it.

AB
24th March 2017, 04:53 PM
Finally picked up the work car Gq ute from the mechanic.

It's been bloody months and he was just flat out.

Never ever say no rush to someone lol

Happy days as it was criminal driving the old bluey as a daily!

Rossco
24th March 2017, 06:09 PM

Yeah nice has been a while. . .
Time for Old Goldie now [emoji6] . .

AB
24th March 2017, 06:34 PM
Since Christmas lol

Oh man this thing is full farmer Joe snail machine.

It has a roof console and I can barely see. Pretty tight in a Gq ute!

Winnie
24th March 2017, 06:35 PM
Time for a Borgwarner and 12mm!

AB
24th March 2017, 06:36 PM
Time for a Borgwarner and 12mm!

I'll write up a proposal to our accounts department and see what they think lol

Rossco
24th March 2017, 06:42 PM
I'll write up a proposal to our accounts department and see what they think lol

It's all about efficiencies !. . .[emoji6]

NissanGQ4.2
24th March 2017, 06:56 PM

Mine's still at the mechanics and considering I don't have another car besides his courtesy car when I can have it, it is a rush :(

AB
24th March 2017, 06:58 PM
I'm stoked your making the effort to get it back on the road though Toddy!

I haven't been following it due to a ummm life change lol but how'd you go with that spark plug?

taslucas
24th March 2017, 07:14 PM

Yeah me too mate! Now I need to follow suit!

>>>tappin from tassie

NissanGQ4.2
24th March 2017, 07:17 PM

I haven't been following it due to a ummm life change lol but how'd you go with that spark plug?

It's still in there, I could not get it out and snapped the tip of an easy out in the bore trying:( Now at the mechanics..... don't think the mechanic has even looked at it yet, he had a few big jobs booked in before mine turned 2 shit..... one being a job for Pat Callinan, If I didn't snap the spark plug it would of been fitted in between jobs but now I just have 2 wait my turn. My mechanic has been good 2 me giving me one of his cars when he could even when mine was still sitting in my driveway waiting for him 2 make room in his yard 2 park it up. Just a waiting game now hoping the head doesn't need 2 come off. Was hoping 2 get away in it over the Easter break for a long needed holiday but at this stage I'm looking at cancelling my holidays now :(

VK2FMIA
25th March 2017, 11:33 AM
Heard a light rattling noise that seemed to be coming from the exhaust at idle a couple of days ago. Tap on the gas pedal & it would stop. Crawled under the Patrol to see what was going on & saw that the fan belt on the ZD30 was flapping about. Stopped the motor & grabbed the belt to find it had very little tension on it. Put a socket on the tension release nut, gave it a push & the tensioner moved back to full tension.

Got in & started it back up, noise gone, all looked good, took it for a drive, back home parked for the night. Next day, started it up, rattle was back. Checked the belt, no tension again. The tensioner has only done around 20,000 km but seemed to be seizing.

So this morning pulled the whole assembly off. Noticed that the oil level was a bit low inside the tensioner, so topped it up. Also rotated the piston thru 180 degrees as I had noticed wear on one side of the shaft on an older tensioner, so thought this might extend it`s life a bit. Bushes also looked fine. Checked pulley bearing (also replaced 20,000 km ago), all good. Checked AC, alternator & fan pulleys for movement as well, all ok.

All back together & seems fine, will take it for a run this arvo & keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks. Going away over Easter, so hope this has fixed the problem. If not might look at getting a billet tensioner to replace it as I have had problems with these in the past.

threedogs
25th March 2017, 12:06 PM
VK2FMIA.COM How did you get oil back in that tensioner???

VK2FMIA
25th March 2017, 12:34 PM
VK2FMIA.COM How did you get oil back in that tensioner???

Only have to slide the rubber boot up. There is a gap between the body & the piston.

GQtdauto
25th March 2017, 01:39 PM
Ours has done two tensioners in about three years , current one is a gates , one of the little problems that the GU is renowned for .

VK2FMIA
25th March 2017, 02:22 PM
Ours has done two tensioners in about three years , current one is a gates , one of the little problems that the GU is renowned for .

Squealing belts & faulty tensioners are the only problems I`ve had with my patrol. Might look into one of these tensioners next time it needs replacing.

http://patrolapart.com.au/product/nissan-patrol-gu-y61-zd30-ddi-billet-tensioner-and-pulley

Clunk
25th March 2017, 03:33 PM
Didn't do anything to mine but watched Growler set his alight

DX grunt
25th March 2017, 03:49 PM
I drove my ute to the newsagents to pick up my winning 21 million dollar lotto ticket. lol

bazzaboy
25th March 2017, 08:05 PM
Put the Patrol into the dealer for a warranty claim. Belt tensioner bearing was screaming. 52K on it. They found that the bearing was RS and that the tensioner was also leaking slightly, which was getting oil onto the belt. They replaced the complete tensioner assembly and belt under warranty. The only win I've ever had with them, although I don't think they could have argued out of it. Although I'm surprised they didn't try the blame the catch-can. ( tic )

Ben-e-boy
26th March 2017, 09:15 PM
Started to have a good look at the new motor this weekend.
I only had to drill out the coolant drain bung and cut out 1 dump pipe stud as the dump pipe is in the way of getting the drill in there to drill out the drain bung.
Bit of a pain in the arse, but what do you do...

I have been contemplating just throwing my good and replacment parts at this and void any warranty, so I removed the manifolds and to have a better look and make a decision. The EGR gunk is a bit shit, the build up on the runner walls isn't too bad, a good long hard run should deal with it. But, it is worse around the valve stems, a leaky seal waiting to happen...... So bugger it. The good head, manifolds turbo etc are all going on. I'll be unhappy with a stock motor anyway. :D

katwoman
29th March 2017, 01:08 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/232.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/233.jpg
Made the old girl a bit more respectful for a funeral tomorrow.

Bacho86
29th March 2017, 07:19 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/232.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/233.jpg
Made the old girl a bit more respectful for a funeral tomorrow.

Looks great Kat, what you do you use to get the bar coming up so great? mines looking pretty tired and faded as well .... and sorry to hear about the funeral

katwoman
29th March 2017, 08:33 PM
Looks great Kat, what you do you use to get the bar coming up so great? mines looking pretty tired and faded as well .... and sorry to hear about the funeral

Just mothers show car polish. Or meguires scratch x.

GQtdauto
30th March 2017, 01:22 PM
Installed the 3000 watt inverter into the GQ , that way we can have bacon eggs on toast when we pit stop .
Made up a new lead to go from inverter to camper plus about two feet , that way I'm not carting around 15 metres of extension cord . Still have to fit battery charger for our ryobi mist fan and drill but camper has plenty of outlets so I might fit it to cargo barrier or just bring it out when needed .

stevemc181
30th March 2017, 04:16 PM
Had a Manta 3" Exhaust System fitted today by Muffler Mike in Perth (Pic below), I went with a high flow cat and a muffler to stay legal The system is well built and has certainly made a difference to the driveability of the Patrol. I've only done a short 20km run so haven't had time to get an extensive run done. The turbo is spooling up earlier and she is getting off the line easier, I also noticed on the highway when I engaged the Torque Converter lock up at 100kph she always used to feel like she was labouring a bit in the rev range, thats now gone and she feels good! A very slight note at 100kph can be heard, but nothing concerning.

I'll see how she goes over the next week or two and make a call on whether I have the ECU remapped.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Y61%20GU%20Patrol/Manta%20Exhaust_zpsneuyjzfl.jpg

Hodge
30th March 2017, 07:29 PM
I'll see how she goes over the next week or two and make a call on whether I have the ECU remapped.

Steve have a good think and do your homework before plunging into a remap.
When I was in the market for a chip vs. remap with my CRD I rang around and a lot of places didn't want to know about the remap with a zd30 crd.
There are very sensitive parameters in there once uploaded and locked are irreversible until you return to that workshop. With a chip if something goes pear shaped , just unplug it and away you go.
One work shop in Gellong told me yeah no worries we can do it and get good results but , we hold absolutely no responsibility once you drive out.
In the end I went with a Unichip , fully dyno tuned to the car from scratch. No user adjustable settings etc... And gained really good results.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

stevemc181
30th March 2017, 09:16 PM
I've had my Pajero remapped for a few years with no issues. There are pro's and cons to both, with remapping there are generally more parameters available, such as EGR delete etc. As you mentioned there are also pro's with the plug in modules, easily removable etc. I would think there have been enough ZD30's remapped by now that the bugs would be ironed out of the programs? The issue is finding someone who holds the Master program and not the slave. Most tuning shops are simply uploading generic remaps written by someone with the Master system. I am trying to determine who does what at the moment in Perth.
Any ideas on who does the Unichip in Perth? I'll look into these also if I go this route.

threedogs
31st March 2017, 03:05 PM
I've had my Pajero remapped for a few years with no issues. There are pro's and cons to both, with remapping there are generally more parameters available, such as EGR delete etc. As you mentioned there are also pro's with the plug in modules, easily removable etc. I would think there have been enough ZD30's remapped by now that the bugs would be ironed out of the programs? The issue is finding someone who holds the Master program and not the slave. Most tuning shops are simply uploading generic remaps written by someone with the Master system. I am trying to determine who does what at the moment in Perth.
Any ideas on who does the Unichip in Perth? I'll look into these also if I go this route.

Thats a very good looking exhaust, Do you have gauges fitted??
Nothing better than a "note" from a ZD30 to shake your fillings
loose. lol

stevemc181
31st March 2017, 03:27 PM
Thats a very good looking exhaust, Do you have gauges fitted??
Nothing better than a "note" from a ZD30 to shake your fillings
loose. lol

Yep, it wasn't the cheapest out there at $1450 fitted including Cat and Muffler, but Manta are a WA made system with a good reputation. The shop I had it fitted (Muffler Mikes) also has a very good rep in the modding world. I've gone for a pretty subdued note, but definitely a little louder than before :)
I have the Redarc G52-EB gauge (EGT and Boost) being delivered in the next day or two, also have a Tillix and needle valve on the way. I'll tweak it up and see if it still needs the ECU Remap or chip etc. I've gotta say I'm pretty happy so far with the additonal power, but I need to get it onto some familiar roads and hit the overtaking lanes etc and see if it is still lacking.

threedogs
1st April 2017, 07:51 AM
You still need your EGR blocking plate and heres a link for a boost gauge adaptor
to me they are the neatest option for fitting a boost gauge

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quick-Fit-Boost-Adapter-Spacer-Kit-Nissan-Patrol-Navara-ZD30-CRD-DI-/332039030774?hash=item4d4f1187f6:g:nfAAAOSwiONYL7c 7

stevemc181
1st April 2017, 09:46 AM
You still need your EGR blocking plate and heres a link for a boost gauge adaptor
to me they are the neatest option for fitting a boost gauge

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quick-Fit-Boost-Adapter-Spacer-Kit-Nissan-Patrol-Navara-ZD30-CRD-DI-/332039030774?hash=item4d4f1187f6:g:nfAAAOSwiONYL7c 7

Ok, cheers for that, I wasn't sure how I would fit the boost line and was waiting for the gauge to arrive to see what was included. I've got a Tillix kit coming which includes the EGR blanking plate.

juzzs8
2nd April 2017, 04:49 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/11.jpg

Hit the 100k today.

threedogs
2nd April 2017, 05:00 PM
juzzs8 only 14.2K a year very low imo
mine is 16,2K a year

GQtdauto
2nd April 2017, 05:35 PM
Very low Ks

TPC
2nd April 2017, 06:17 PM
My 2008 Patrol has 112K on the clock at around 12.5K per year.

stevemc181
2nd April 2017, 09:36 PM
I started modifying a second hand set of ORS drawers purchased sight unseen from interstate. To be honest if this is indicative of ORS drawer quality, I am glad I didn't pay full price!
This is the fridgepack 2, but I've modded it to suit what I wanted. Basically I moved the fridge slide further apart and raised the platform 50mm so I could make room for a standard blow mould table to be carried. I remade and re-carpeted the drawer fronts and also did a full width top from window to window. l still have a bit of work to do and need to work out side wing fill ins etc etc. I have the compressor on one side and my Lifepo4 dual battery is tucked in the other amongst a birdsnest of wiring at the moment. Too much to do and not enough hours in the day unfortunately.

Not the best pic, but it's dark and I'm knackered. Bang Head

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Y61%20GU%20Patrol/Drawers/IMG_4479_zpsum7kezuf.jpg

Still some work to do on tidying up the wiring, really just working on the configuration at the moment and will neaten it all up later.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Y61%20GU%20Patrol/Drawers/IMG_4478_zps4kjcjm4b.jpg

threedogs
3rd April 2017, 11:13 AM
No empty cans on your build, what the heck is going on here stevemc181

stevemc181
3rd April 2017, 12:27 PM
No empty cans on your build, what the heck is going on here stevemc181

LOL, I've been off the smokes for nearly 5 months and I really struggle with it when working on the 4by, add alcohol and its game over! All I want to do is sit drink, smoke and think about doing it!

threedogs
3rd April 2017, 12:46 PM
LOL, I've been off the smokes for nearly 5 months and I really struggle with it when working on the 4by, add alcohol and its game over! All I want to do is sit drink, smoke and think about doing it!

Yeah know the feeling , as an ex member of the Aust drinking team, made a decision to stop smokes [6yrs]
same as you didnt drink as I needed a smoke, cant say Ive stopped drinking but have knocked smokes on the
head. Nothing much to drink about lately,

stevemc181
3rd April 2017, 12:56 PM
Nothing much to drink about lately, Yep, I don't know you or your full story, but certainly feel for you with the recent events that have transpired in your life. Words are cheap, but you and the Missus need to keep on carrying on, it's the only way forward from here.

threedogs
3rd April 2017, 02:23 PM
Yep, I don't know you or your full story, but certainly feel for you with the recent events that have transpired in your life. Words are cheap, but you and the Missus need to keep on carrying on, it's the only way forward from here.

Just a normal guy like you , found the love of my life and married brought a house and had two boys.
Nothing special at all in my life,I like 4x4s ,motor bikes, fishing, Hurt my back in 91' and a lot of my
dreams went out the window, but Im here still married and still in love. Things will pick up,,, when I dont know
just cant believe all this crap can happen to one family,Grrrrr

mudski
3rd April 2017, 03:09 PM
Bought 10ltrs on Valvoline oil today from Repco for $79. I then had to go across a few suburbs for something else so I dropped into SCA and saw the same oil for $63! So I will be returning the oil to Repco me thinks...

GQtdauto
3rd April 2017, 04:56 PM
Just a normal guy like you , found the love of my life and married brought a house and had two boys.
Nothing special at all in my life,I like 4x4s ,motor bikes, fishing, Hurt my back in 91' and a lot of my
dreams went out the window, but Im here still married and still in love. Things will pick up,,, when I dont know
just cant believe all this crap can happen to one family,Grrrrr
Geez TD you done your back in as well , mine was workcover and I wouldn't wish them on even my worst enemy .
Mine was 89 I think all over now but still take pills and getting wood today will see me in pain and hobble for a week but at least I can still wipe my own bum , just but I still have that .

GQtdauto
3rd April 2017, 04:58 PM
Bought 10ltrs on Valvoline oil today from Repco for $79. I then had to go across a few suburbs for something else so I dropped into SCA and saw the same oil for $63! So I will be returning the oil to Repco me thinks...

You do know what REPCO stands for don't you ?

threedogs
3rd April 2017, 05:05 PM
Geez TD you done your back in as well , mine was workcover and I wouldn't wish them on even my worst enemy .
Mine was 89 I think all over now but still take pills and getting wood today will see me in pain and hobble for a week but at least I can still wipe my own bum , just but I still have that .

Feel your pain Ive had 19 major back Ops plenty of procedures you name it Ive had it done at least twice.
Couldnt walk last Dec as the bone graft from Op1 is moving through out my back touching nerve ends
causing neuromas if I got it right. plenty of meds Im pretty much over it, all because the first Op
went pear shaped. Angry you bet I am but nothing I can do about it, suck it up princess lol

Hodge
3rd April 2017, 05:05 PM
Just got a wheel alignment and balance done. Drives so good right now.

threedogs
3rd April 2017, 05:09 PM
Just got a wheel alignment and balance done. Drives so good right now.

so you had thrown a weight at some stage, or your rears weren't balanced
only the front, good to hear you have it sorted

Hodge
3rd April 2017, 05:11 PM
so you had thrown a weight at some stage, or your rears weren't balanced
only the front, good to hear you have it sorted

Yeah John. When I rotated the tyres, the rear left that went to the front left, was massively out of balance / Lost a weight.
All fixed now.

Also seen the new massive ARB megastore at Somerton (Formerly ARB Thomastown). It's quiet awesome.

mudski
3rd April 2017, 05:30 PM
You do know what REPCO stands for don't you ?

Yes I do. But we have no SCA where I live now. On Repco, Bursons or Autobarn. In or from bad to worse.

GQtdauto
3rd April 2017, 05:47 PM
We have both REPCO and SCA and to be honest much of a muchness , although if you need advice we go to REPCO .

jay see
6th April 2017, 04:08 PM
I know what some of you think of 4wd supacenter, but I haven't had an issue with their product only their lack of customer service and delivery times.

Drove down to the lilydale store on Monday and picked up a 2.5 x 2.5 awning, a side wall and a camp cooking stand/plate for $145.

Just fitted the awning and with no problems.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/41.jpg

Mc4by
6th April 2017, 04:40 PM
I know what some of you think of 4wd supacenter, but I haven't had an issue with their product only their lack of customer service and delivery times.

Drove down to the lilydale store on Monday and picked up a 2.5 x 2.5 awning, a side wall and a camp cooking stand/plate for $145.

Just fitted the awning and with no problems.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/41.jpg

I have a set of their drawers, picked up on gumtree brand new. They went in easy and work great.
I also got the awning and side panel. Took a while to get to W.A. but both look and work as expected.
I have their solar panel in the garage which I haven't tried yet.
It was a cheap way to get started and if I need to upgrade in the future so be it.

threedogs
6th April 2017, 04:52 PM
jaysee what are the plans for the awning one of those tie in rooms or just a tie in wall??

GQtdauto
6th April 2017, 05:05 PM
Some of their stuff is ok some not so much or needs a tweak or two , I have their drawers which for my GQ were a pita to fit but their new double thumper I recommend , also the awning mozzie mesh tent is good and awning seems just as good as more expensive brands .
Have a bit more stuff from them from ARB and from TJM , disappointed with the latter two more than supercentre .

threedogs
6th April 2017, 05:21 PM
GQtdauto I use TJM as I got sick of looking at 4x4s with all the same options
I need to be different, where in n/e Vic are you??

GQtdauto
6th April 2017, 05:22 PM
Ok started the folding solar panel on the GQ today , first work out where the panels will sit bearing in mind I need four 10 litre jerry cans up top at front and a pole carrier and a chainsaw not to mention a bit of room for firewood so this was where they had to go .
Folding panel had to be pulled apart , used a bit of scrap ply under rivets when drilling them out so I didn't damage panel , getting the silicone and mastic off proved a problem also removing the regulator was a half hour job .
All off and cleaned up I tested how it would look and fit .
Now to join the panels I have used silicone , rivets and button screws , had some aluminium angle left over from another job so used it each side and a folding leg from the solar panel to brace , strengthen and join panels together .
Bloody connection boxes were higher than panel edge (see level) which meant a bit more working out but decided to put ali angle on the edge to give clearance .
Once that was done I had a brain wave why not make it adjustable so I can tilt it east or west , then I worked out how to , need to go to town tomorrow for some bits and bobs and will also show photos of what I come up with .
Not sure if all photos will send ok .

GQtdauto
6th April 2017, 05:23 PM
First batch of photos can only do six photos at a time .

GQtdauto
6th April 2017, 05:26 PM
Will post the other six photos when Puter behaves .

GQtdauto
6th April 2017, 05:27 PM
GQtdauto I use TJM as I got sick of looking at 4x4s with all the same options
I need to be different, where in n/e Vic are you??
Glenrowan
Three dogs I'm based at good old Glenrowan .

threedogs
6th April 2017, 05:31 PM
Doesnt the reg need to be close to a battery???
not far away at all..

GQtdauto
6th April 2017, 05:45 PM
Reg will be where the other one is at the moment or behind the glove box , that reg in photo is only 8 amp and won't handle full 340 watt of solar .

jay see
6th April 2017, 05:48 PM
jaysee what are the plans for the awning one of those tie in rooms or just a tie in wall??
Just a wall for now, will decide on a room or net once we have used it a few times. If needed.

Bacho86
6th April 2017, 05:58 PM
Just a wall for now, will decide on a room or net once we have used it a few times. If needed.

The wall makes a lot of difference to usable area, definitely worth while but unless you're staying in one location for a while and would not need to move the car at all, the awning room is too
much to set up for Victorian conditions IMO

Bacho86
6th April 2017, 06:00 PM
Inspired by Kat, I started to give the patrol some love this arvo.... some more patience and she will be looking brand new in no time..... well let's be honest there's a lot of work in front lol

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/42.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/43.jpg

jay see
6th April 2017, 06:24 PM
The wall makes a lot of difference to usable area, definitely worth while but unless you're staying in one location for a while and would not need to move the car at all, the awning room is too
much to set up for Victorian conditions IMO

Well the plan is to be the first there which always happens, get as much wood as I can then set up the patrol and park it. Until I chose to go somewhere.
Sick and tired of everyone always waiting for me to go and get things.

juzzs8
7th April 2017, 07:35 AM
I have a set of their drawers, picked up on gumtree brand new. They went in easy and work great.
I also got the awning and side panel. Took a while to get to W.A. but both look and work as expected.
I have their solar panel in the garage which I haven't tried yet.
It was a cheap way to get started and if I need to upgrade in the future so be it.

Th drawers were a bitch for me. Nothing lined up, still got to get the angle grinder to it to cut the channel so I can get a bolt in. And the side wings don't fit well. Have to be forced in and can't lock it in after it's been forced in as hole doesn't line up with the screw cap.

juzzs8
7th April 2017, 07:38 AM

The nets are pretty good if your in a mozzie/fly prone area! Only use it if need to cook. Or mozzies are really bad. Only issue getting to car through nets but tight and can be bit annoying.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/48.jpg

Also have a mesh floor since this photo which goes well.

GQtdauto
7th April 2017, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=juzzs8;721681]The nets are pretty good if your in a mozzie/fly prone area! Only use it if need to cook. Or mozzies are really bad. Only issue getting to car through nets but tight and can be bit annoying.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/48.jpg

Also have a mesh floor since this photo which goes well.
Have the same one , fantastic quality compared to oz trail , don't know why they made them out of such heavy stuff .
When I set mine up for a test look I set it up 180 degrees round wrong way so couldn't access car doors .
We bought a mesh floor from Aldi for ours .
Very easy to set up , but you'd want to be staying put for a few days .

threedogs
7th April 2017, 09:17 AM
Well the plan is to be the first there which always happens, get as much wood as I can then set up the patrol and park it. Until I chose to go somewhere.
Sick and tired of everyone always waiting for me to go and get things.

I'm normally first at camp too, not working and all, but my set up of sleeping
under the awning on a stretcher,, a wall on the windward side would protect
a bit from rain.
I've been looking for a tarp 2mtrs x 5mtrs but they dont exist, lol

PeeBee
7th April 2017, 08:57 PM
Resolved the nightmare bracket to mate the Nissan Pto to a hydraulic pump for front winch. All tacked together, now have to fine tune for alignment of the splined coupling, - more hours on my back in the driveway, but getting closer. Final challenge is re-working the in cabin actuator, PIA stuff

Hodge
9th April 2017, 05:42 PM
I adjusted the idle on it, in the middle of rainy Marysville of all places lol. While waiting for DEPI to clear the road.
Thanks nissannewby

Patrol'n
10th April 2017, 12:17 AM
Changed my drive belts, greased all the grease points, did an underbody / loose bolt check, replaced my fan clutch (only 2 years old :-( grrr), rotated my wheels, and had the joy of finding that not only was my fan clutch stuffed, but my steering damper has decided it doesn't want it's oil inside it anymore and let it leak out.... So now that's tomorrow's job after work

dnl
10th April 2017, 03:57 PM
Well... I looked under the bonnet again to see if I could find a good location to mount the newly purchased Redarc BCDC charger, but no luck. So I finally replaced a broken cig lighter with a Narva dual USB socket. I pulled the cig lighter out about 5 years ago, and today thought I'd fix it. I'm pretty chuffed! Now back to looking under the bonnet!

Yeti's Beast
10th April 2017, 08:32 PM
Took my intercooler off today and flushed it out to remove any oil that may be in there. Now I have convinced myself that it goes harder ha ha

Patrol'n
10th April 2017, 10:41 PM
Replaced my steering damper, new shiny one in place, so that's sorted 😀 Went for a test drive, and a bit of belt noise, not a squeal, more of a whine that has a pitch increase with revs. Charge rate dropped a bit, so I got home and checked the new belts, which seemed to have stretched a little. Tightened up the belts, charge rate now seems ok. Didn't whine before I replaced the belts, is there a chance a new belt needs to wear in a little and will quieten down? I hope so, the aircon belt sucked to get on, and it's in front if the alternator belt..... (Wetting down didn't help). Any ideas?

gubigfish
11th April 2017, 02:05 AM
Replaced my steering damper, new shiny one in place, so that's sorted 😀 Went for a test drive, and a bit of belt noise, not a squeal, more of a whine that has a pitch increase with revs. Charge rate dropped a bit, so I got home and checked the new belts, which seemed to have stretched a little. Tightened up the belts, charge rate now seems ok. Didn't whine before I replaced the belts, is there a chance a new belt needs to wear in a little and will quieten down? I hope so, the aircon belt sucked to get on, and it's in front if the alternator belt..... (Wetting down didn't help). Any ideas?

When I had my new alternator fitted I had them fit a new alternator belt, was making a noise but has now stopped completely. Used to happen at start-up but would go away after a while.

Boinzo
11th April 2017, 05:27 PM
I installed a Cel-Fi Telstra Mobile Booster so that I have better coverage when I'm out in my truck. It was expensive - but is legally certified so I don't attract the $25K fine for using an illegal signal booster!
Also relocated my bull-bar 4G Telstra Aerial to the back of the roof rack to avoid interference with the the internal boosted mobile signal.
Seems to work well ... but not sure I'll know until 50km out of Birdsville.

I also attached some 100mm PVC pipe to the back of my rooftop tool box so I can stick my tent poles in there.

NissanGQ4.2
11th April 2017, 07:15 PM
Got it towed from the mechanics back home :(

Mechanic managed 2 move the snapped spark plug a bit but couldn't get it any further, can't justify ( well I can but missus can't ) spending 1500 - 2k in removing the head and getting it machined, I'm not a happy camper and public transport 2 and from work sucks the big one :(:(:(

Winnie
11th April 2017, 07:16 PM

Mechanic managed 2 move the snapped spark plug a bit but couldn't get it any further, can't justify ( well I can but missus can't ) spending 1500 - 2k in removing the head and getting it machined, I'm not a happy camper and public transport 2 and from work sucks the big one :(:(:(
Dammit Todd! I wish I could help you mate, I would love to see you back in the patrol.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mudnut
11th April 2017, 07:33 PM
Soak the damn thing with penetrene for a coupla weeks and have another go. Forwards - backwards. Or run it on five cylinders till it warms up and try again. I have had some success drilling out a fastener and peeling the thread out with a pointed pick. I suppose stopping any metal entering the bore is a problem, with that idea. I had to run a tap through the thread on number 4 cylinder when I first got my Old Trol. I used a vaccum cleaner with a small diameter rubber hose to suck out the swarf from the bore.

MB
11th April 2017, 07:45 PM
Hey Toddstar, the Yanks must call Penetrene "Liquid Wrench It" as Craig has kindly suggested.
https://youtu.be/zrF6SsbLwfM
This could surely work mate !

NissanGQ4.2
11th April 2017, 09:14 PM
Dammit Todd! I wish I could help you mate, I would love to see you back in the patrol.

Thanks mate...... Yeh not happening now...... will see me in the depression thread on Thursday when I start my holidays and sit out the front looking at it with an icy cold beer in my hand......would of loved 2 of had taken the Patrol away on holidays, esp considering we are only down the road from Stockton Beach :(

NissanGQ4.2
11th April 2017, 09:21 PM
Soak the damn thing with penetrene for a coupla weeks and have another go. Forwards - backwards. Or run it on five cylinders till it warms up and try again. I have had some success drilling out a fastener and peeling the thread out with a pointed pick. I suppose stopping any metal entering the bore is a problem, with that idea. I had to run a tap through the thread on number 4 cylinder when I first got my Old Trol. I used a vaccum cleaner with a small diameter rubber hose to suck out the swarf from the bore.

Been soaked a fair bit, I was just using wd40 but the mechanic used some sort of carbon spray and had more luck, Can't run it on 5 cylinders now we did that when it first didn't budge, warmed it up for a while tried again and snapped the tip of the easy out into the bore :(

Sad thing was I wanted the mechanic 2 do it all ( including the plugs ) but he is pretty flat out so I done some work myself so I would save some money and he would have 2 spend more time on it then needed be

NissanGQ4.2
11th April 2017, 09:22 PM
Hey Toddstar, the Yanks must call Penetrene "Liquid Wrench It" as Craig has kindly suggested.
https://youtu.be/zrF6SsbLwfM
This could surely work mate !

Cheers, thanks for the link, will look into it

mudnut
11th April 2017, 09:34 PM
Been soaked a fair bit, I was just using wd40 but the mechanic used some sort of carbon spray and had more luck, Can't run it on 5 cylinders now we did that when it first didn't budge, warmed it up for a while tried again and snapped the tip of the easy out into the bore :(

Sad thing was I wanted the mechanic 2 do it all ( including the plugs ) but he is pretty flat out so I done some work myself so I would save some money and he would have 2 spend more time on it then needed be

Bugger. There is probably no harm increasing the size of the hole and inserting a bit of wire with a hook on the end and removing the carbon built up on the exposed thread on the plug.

PeeBee
11th April 2017, 09:38 PM
Are you able to drill a hole into the centre of the plug - mentioned use of easy-out? I have used a product in the past from loctite which is a freeze agent. The concept is to lower the temp of the plug and have it contract, more or less the reverse of the warm engine approach. Of course if you have deformed the threads or managed to even slightly cross threaded them this won't help. Nuke the plug via the hole then get straight onto it with a big breaker bar wrench/socket or even a powerful 240v impact gun. Once it moves, don't stop, then address any issues with thread later, that would be my approach.

threedogs
12th April 2017, 02:14 PM
Just reading and was about to suggest a can of Freeze all or what ever they call it these days.
Happened to me years ago on a T120 triumph spark plug,previous owner cross threaded it grrrr
Penetrene is a great product, is there any way you can "shock" the plug to help break the seal.
But what a biatch eh one plug grounding you, it will probaly require a helicoil anyway 14mm x 1.5 pitch
if I was close by I'd lend a hand but ...........two heads better than one

garett
13th April 2017, 07:30 AM

let me know if you want me to pop over and see what i can do, i do have afew different extraction tools at work

NissanGQ4.2
13th April 2017, 10:00 AM
let me know if you want me to pop over and see what i can do, i do have afew different extraction tools at work

Thanks garett for the offer, I'm going 2 give the Loctite freeze and release that Phil (@PBBIZ2) mentioned a go

http://www.loctite.com.au/3320_AUE_HTML.htm?nodeid=8802649931777

If that fails I might burn it or turn it into a big BBQ

And thanks to everyone for the suggestions :)

GQtdauto
13th April 2017, 04:43 PM
Finally got the motivation to start the false floor in the back of the GQ .

Hodge
13th April 2017, 05:27 PM
Parked it up for a week and a half . Shes having a rest while I drive around in a Toyota. :)

GQtdauto
13th April 2017, 06:06 PM
Parked it up for a week and a half . Shes having a rest while I drive around in a Toyota. :)

WHAT ? A freaken Tojo, traitor !

Hodge
13th April 2017, 06:07 PM
WHAT ? A freaken Tojo, traitor !
Yup might even bring it to the shindig :)

TPC
13th April 2017, 06:14 PM
Yup might even bring it to the shindig :)

Does it have a sunroof? If so that will be one less boghole MB needs to dig. ;)

Hodge
13th April 2017, 06:18 PM
Does it have a sunroof? If so that will be one less boghole MB needs to dig. ;)

Haha nah.... its a hiace van!

All jokes aside I'll be handing the van back with pleasure Friday day before and the 4.2 is coming up!

Winnie
13th April 2017, 06:31 PM
Haha nah.... its a hiace van!

All jokes aside I'll be handing the van back with pleasure Friday day before and the 4.2 is coming up!
I've been driving one of those lately. They are dreadful to drive. Great for their purpose but I am using it as a car just to get to and from work and it's empty too so very uncomfortable to drive.

Hodge
13th April 2017, 06:34 PM
I've been driving one of those lately. They are dreadful to drive. Great for their purpose but I am using it as a car just to get to and from work and it's empty too so very uncomfortable to drive.

Yup ... Very uncomfortable and many blokes at work have complained about a sore back after a while . The seat is right above the front axle and when loaded up keeps bottoming out on even minor bumps.
And I will practically live out of it for next 8 days.

roland.sue.cox@gmail.com
13th April 2017, 07:57 PM
I just want to thank all those who welcomed me to the group as well as those who provided all the info I gleaned from the forum about removing an offensive NATS system.
Yesterday I bit the bullet and removed the "CSOLU" solenoid. It took a while not wanting to rush it and it came out well. The car started - after I put it all back together. Great Outcome. As a reward, I washed and cleaned it.
Roland

Hodge
13th April 2017, 08:00 PM
I just want to thank all those who welcomed me to the group as well as those who provided all the info I gleaned from the forum about removing an offensive NATS system.
Yesterday I bit the bullet and removed the "CSOLU" solenoid. It took a while not wanting to rush it and it came out well. The car started - after I put it all back together. Great Outcome. As a reward, I washed and cleaned it.
Roland
Well done mate.....
You've got bigger knackers then me attacking that c*** of a job.
Where you from again? Feel like doing another one ? I'll bring her up :)

gaddy
13th April 2017, 08:31 PM
Roland
It's a fiddley pain in the butt to do , but rather do it at home then in the middle of nowhere on the side of the road ! Because when that sucker fails , your not going anywhere !!!

GQtdauto
14th April 2017, 04:37 PM
Finished the false floor to the rear of GQ .

threedogs
14th April 2017, 04:42 PM
Finished the false floor to the rear of GQ .

how are you going to incorperate some tie down points.
Looks good a bit of storage underneath too nice one

Winnie
14th April 2017, 04:47 PM
Took the roof rack off for the first time, looks heaps better without it. Didn't realise how bloody heavy they are! Then took it for a little local drive, looking for good firewood spots.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/114.jpg

GQtdauto
14th April 2017, 05:24 PM
how are you going to incorperate some tie down points.
Looks good a bit of storage underneath too nice one

Storage underneath is minimal , I have to get one of those portable twin tub washing machines in and out at some point so just needed a flat surface , otherwise I would have made enough room for pull out draws etc .

GQtdauto
14th April 2017, 05:25 PM
As for tie down points I've marked where the steel is underneath so I can use that for strength, need a few that's for sure .

PeeBee
14th April 2017, 05:41 PM
Finally finished the PTO - Hydraulic pump bracket, fully installed and tightish on the exhaust (20mm clearance), but a couple of wraps of insulating blanket on the exhaust should resolve. Cut the floor for the actuator to the RH side of the gear stick, installed the actuator lever assy - another fiddly job with a Dremmel to cut the floor out. Final tasks are to get new hoses made for the system, seal the hole into the cabin for the actuator, and work out how to run the actuator cable because the PTO is upside down.

GQtdauto
14th April 2017, 07:04 PM
Took the roof rack off for the first time, looks heaps better without it. Didn't realise how bloody heavy they are! Then took it for a little local drive, looking for good firewood spots.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/114.jpg

Used to go out and fill up the rear floor and cargo area with wood , bit rough I suppose but can't do that anymore .

firm351
14th April 2017, 10:35 PM
Replaced the dodgy cig lighter sockets i had in the cargo area with these babys. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/117.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

threedogs
15th April 2017, 08:31 AM
As for tie down points I've marked where the steel is underneath so I can use that for strength, need a few that's for sure .

you could drill holes right through everything and use some eye nuts here and there.
Use some wide mudguard or penny washers to spread the load some what......lol
M8 would be sufficient I reckon

GQtdauto
15th April 2017, 08:39 AM
you could drill holes right through everything and use some eye nuts here and there.
Use some wide mudguard or penny washers to spread the load some what......lol
M8 would be sufficient I reckon

Thanks TD wasn't exactly sure what to do with the tie downs but need to work out what's going first , at the moment it's just the washing machine and a blow mould table , perhaps I can stock up on beer for the rest of the room .