PDA

View Full Version : What did you do to your Patrol today!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

mudski
14th September 2016, 11:09 PM
Yeah but is still flawed in its operation. There is improvements to be had if you want to gain a little more.
Always wanna gain a little more.... Lol.

MB
14th September 2016, 11:21 PM
Always wanna gain a little more.... Lol.
Rip out that darn 4.2 and drop in a military chev!
I'll buy it as a spare please for our family stock <100kw 1,000,000 donk faithful:-) !!

Bacho86
15th September 2016, 06:51 AM
Replaced the rear wiper blade..... It's been a slow couple months!!! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winnie
15th September 2016, 07:32 AM
Replaced the rear wiper blade..... It's been a slow couple months!!! [emoji15]

That's more exciting than anything that has happened to my car in the last few months... lol

Bacho86
15th September 2016, 07:49 AM
That's more exciting than anything that has happened to my car in the last few months... lol

Hahah hardly... Don't you have a 12mm pump on the shelf that is being built??

Just reminisce of the epic high mount build if your feeling sad lol

Winnie
15th September 2016, 07:52 AM
Hahah hardly... Don't you have a 12mm pump on the shelf that is being built??

Just reminisce of the epic high mount build if your feeling sad lol

I haven't got the pump yet, it is built and ready but a couple of things holding it up.
Mainly that my bloody clutch is not right yet!

mudski
15th September 2016, 09:02 AM
I haven't got the pump yet, it is built and ready but a couple of things holding it up.
Mainly that my bloody clutch is not right yet!

Got that hose in yet?

Winnie
15th September 2016, 09:30 AM
Nope. Been hectic at the moment with family coming in from interstate, pregnancy classes etc.
Plus I don't have a shed for the Patrol so working on it depends on the weather. I have a spare day on Sunday so I am hoping to get it done then.

mudski
15th September 2016, 11:54 AM
Nope. Been hectic at the moment with family coming in from interstate, pregnancy classes etc.
Plus I don't have a shed for the Patrol so working on it depends on the weather. I have a spare day on Sunday so I am hoping to get it done then.

Prego classes. I remember those....
Hopefully Sundays weather will be permitting... I have my fingers and toes crossed for you.

threedogs
15th September 2016, 12:31 PM

It would be a bit wet down your way for anything eh, suppose your tanks are full.?

johno90
15th September 2016, 06:32 PM
Refit my tow bar from when I fitted up the long range tank, painted the rear step and rear plastic trims. installed now trailer plug. Ordered all the piping to build a 3" exhaust.

johno90
15th September 2016, 06:45 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/127.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

timbar
15th September 2016, 10:00 PM
Rear disc conversion Ian. Although less surface contact area using disc over drum, but you have more clamping power on a disc and less the chance of brake fade due to heat.

I find that my front brakes will over ride the rear how would I be able to amp up the rears ... When I brake in the wet the the front locks up and the rears are still running free !! (I have rear disk )

mudski
15th September 2016, 10:20 PM
I find that my front brakes will over ride the rear how would I be able to amp up the rears ... When I brake in the wet the the front locks up and the rears are still running free !! (I have rear disk )

Assuming the calipers arent seized and the brake fluid is good etc etc.
The bias valve affects the rear brakes. If the Patrol has been lifted this will affect how the bias valve works.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

timbar
15th September 2016, 10:58 PM
Assuming the calipers arent seized and the brake fluid is good etc etc.
The bias valve affects the rear brakes. If the Patrol has been lifted this will affect how the bias valve works.

Can the bias valve be adjusted to suit the lift ??

jay see
15th September 2016, 11:15 PM
Can the bias valve be adjusted to suit the lift ??

You'll need a extended bias bracket.
It pretty much moves the valve the same amount of the lift, so it's back in the original position.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

threedogs
16th September 2016, 08:32 AM
trying to get well enough to get to Georges so he can service my Auto.
This has been going on for a couple of months now, might feel better
when the weather picks up, Geurge has been very flexible about it, LOL

mudski
16th September 2016, 09:54 AM
You'll need a extended bias bracket.
It pretty much moves the valve the same amount of the lift, so it's back in the original position.

Easy enough to make one. You just need to lift the anchor point of the diff upwards to the same height as the lift is. Or there abouts.

threedogs
16th September 2016, 02:16 PM
When I bought my Patrol I found the brakes to be very spongy & complained to the car yard I bought it from. They told me to take it to my local Nissan dealership to get fixed at no cost to me. Got it back from the dealer’s workshop who told me they had changed the fluid & bled them (they had the brake fluid was a different colour). Problem was that the brakes felt no different at all.
I complained & the workshop manager assured me that this was normal for Patrol brakes. Thinking he was treating me as a dumb car owner who knew nothing I made it clear that I did not believe that any properly working brakes could feel so bad. He assurred me again that they were normal & added that Nissan deliberately design them like this to ensure that owners are less likely to lock the brakes accidentally in off road conditions! Convinced he was spinning me a line I continued to complain, whereupon he led me to a customer’s almost new ST wagon & invited me to sit in the driver seat & test the brake pedal for myself. It felt exactly like mine - like if you press hard enough the pedal could touch the floor. In reality the brakes would lock before you got to that point. Nevertheless the brakes inspired no confidence whatsoever. Different pads & rotors on the front gave a noticeable improvement. (Anyone know if there are any performance shoes available for the rear drums?).

Been thinking about your problem then it dawned on me you have two things going against you.
First is your weight, youll never stop in the same distance as a wagon.
And second is the drums on the rear, but mainly the weight.
Id be looking around for a disc to disc rear end then do what nissannewby said
with the brake proportioning valve. but IMHO you'll never stop like a wagon.
You will get it to stop safely I feel lol

Cuppa
16th September 2016, 02:52 PM
threedogs I may have been misunderstood. My brakes stop me reasonably well & safely. Of course any improvement is welcome but I’m not about to spend big bickies to achieve it. The issue I described was about the ‘feel’ of the brakes, & was also prior to my camper conversion with an empty pod, so a fair bit less weight at that time. It was a shock experiencing Patrol brakes after the Troopy. Of course little has changed since then other than the replacement front discs & pads do pull me up quicker, still with little feel compared to many other vehicles, but I have become accustomed to them. I can lock up the wheels if I want to. Amazingly the brakes in stock form, (except for an adjustment of the front rear bias) & with the camper conversion completed & fully stocked as for a trip (ie max weight) the brakes exceeded the specified minimum system pressure & managed the required stopping distances in the engineer’s dynamic braking tests. They are better than that now. One day I’ll fit braided lines as I expect that will improve feel, but there are a number of other priorities first.

threedogs
16th September 2016, 05:01 PM
Cuppa Ive emailed you and Ron Moon about your plight.
But for better pedal"feel" then the braided teflon brake lines
would be a cheapish first step.[$300] You may know this from playing with motorbikes
I converted all my single disc hondas to twin drilled on the front and a single drilled on the rear
That and braided hoses Boy would they stop then. this was in the 70s too so well before they were
on the shelves lol

the evil twin
16th September 2016, 05:20 PM
Today I fixed my Sub Tank Pump fault... again.
This is about the 4th time and we have a strong love hate relationship
It loves to fault out every 12 months or so and I hate having to fix the $#%$# thing.

I guess it is my fault as I am too mingy to replace the aftermarket pump with a genuine mofo and the Sub Tank Poota faults out when the connection to the impedance matching resistor I have fitted across the pump to fool the Poota Self Test gets manky.

Ah well, at least it gives me a chance to have a poppy nap while I am on my back under the car fixing the POS.

threedogs
16th September 2016, 05:32 PM
what do they say do it once and do it right,
but a nanna nap under the Patrol on a garage
creeper couldnt think of anything cooler lol

sooty_10
16th September 2016, 07:59 PM
Well my solar regulator is fully wired up and working. Permanent panels work sweet, I disconnected the battery to do some wiring and forgot to unplug the panels. Fridge was still running and all accessories worked simply direct off the solar on an overcast day. I have a Bluetooth connection to it with a 30 day log so I can see on my phone what its doing too.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/139.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

jay see
16th September 2016, 09:18 PM
You'll be surprised how much you get on an overcast day.
We've got panels on the roof and even throughout winter we still generate.

Kimbo63
16th September 2016, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=sooty_10;696484]Well my solar regulator is fully wired up and working. Permanent panels work sweet, I disconnected the battery to do some wiring and forgot to unplug the panels. Fridge was still running and all accessories worked simply direct off the solar on an overcast day. I have a Bluetooth connection to it with a 30 day log so I can see on my phone what its doing too.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/139.jpg

What brand of regulator r u running sooty? Any photos of your set up?

threedogs
17th September 2016, 08:23 AM
You'll be surprised how much you get on an overcast day.
We've got panels on the roof and even throughout winter we still generate.

Overcast days they still work be it reduced to maybe 50%
its only when its raining they wont be working,,,
gotta love solar power LOL

threedogs
17th September 2016, 08:28 AM
Cuppa Ive emailed you and Ron Moon about your plight.
But for better pedal"feel" then the braided teflon brake lines
would be a cheapish first step.[$300] You may know this from playing with motorbikes
I converted all my single disc hondas to twin drilled on the front and a single drilled on the rear
That and braided hoses Boy would they stop then. this was in the 70s too so well before they were
on the shelves lol

Ron's reply was,,,, remembering his patrol weighs 4T fully loaded,
he tried the EFI rotors but found that didnt improve things much.
He runs DBA rotors and pads, plus he converted the brake system from
Vacuum to hydraulic via a set up Marks adaptors sell, Might be worth checking out

the evil twin
17th September 2016, 12:22 PM
Checked the Patrol emergency fluids;
6 Pack of Beer in car fridge - check
2nd 6 pack in panniers - check
6 Pack of 'morning after' Coke - check
600ml of water - cheeee... ummm... is a bottle of water with a 'best by' date of Mar 1998 still OK?

Hodge
17th September 2016, 12:24 PM
Don't forget to check the scotch fluids too mate. Always overlooked!

Touses
17th September 2016, 12:32 PM
Checked the Patrol emergency fluids;
6 Pack of Beer in car fridge - check
2nd 6 pack in panniers - check
6 Pack of 'morning after' Coke - check
600ml of water - cheeee... ummm... is a bottle of water with a 'best by' date of Mar 1998 still OK?

Not at all sure about the water there bloke! Use by date is a little iffy!
Probably best to empty contents, allow container to thoroughly dry and then refill with an antiseptic solution. Hodge has suggested a suitable replacement.

Touses
17th September 2016, 01:03 PM
Spending the morning throwing a coupla cans of black zinc at the engine bay.
Might get creative and spray some in there too!

rusty00
17th September 2016, 05:59 PM
Last payment
It's all mine now.......

gaddy
17th September 2016, 07:57 PM
Hooked the van up and ended up here !http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/148.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/149.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hodge
21st September 2016, 05:28 PM
Had to check why the parkers weren't working. After pulling the headlights off, noticed both globes were blown. Hmmm
Both at once at the same time. Interesting.

Robo
21st September 2016, 05:29 PM
Teflon brake lines all round.
ARE alloy radiator.

DX grunt
22nd September 2016, 12:44 AM
Talking about radiators......

Had mine pulled out for a full service and was told that it was borderline 'stuffed'.

Brand new one arrives tomorrow morning, just in time for my beach camping/fishing holiday.

Edit. Had it installed today, and glad they installed a new thermostat and gasket, too.

Almost time to go fishing down Esperance way. lol

Dirtydog16
27th September 2016, 08:16 PM
Didn't do it today but I had a loose glove box lock on my gq and it kept falling out ever since I bought it so I knocked up this clip to keep it in place.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/252.jpg

And I removed the interior lights and replaced them with these.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/253.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/254.jpg

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

sooty_10
27th September 2016, 08:45 PM
Changed my injectors over. Well finished it after I busted the spill line yesterday and had yo wait for a new one today. All done now and running. Now just to see how much of a difference it makes. Might need to get it tuned me thinks.

the evil twin
27th September 2016, 09:54 PM
Drove it to work and back...

Winnie
27th September 2016, 09:54 PM
Drove it to work and back...
Same. It was fun.

AB
27th September 2016, 10:20 PM
Thanks fellas, thanks!!!

Rossco
27th September 2016, 10:46 PM
Thanks fellas, thanks!!!
You can drive mine too work tomorrow if you like. . .

UncleFrosty
27th September 2016, 10:53 PM
Almost time to go fishing down Esperance way. lol

Better take a whoooooole lotta rope down with ya bud. You'll need to tie everything down judging by the wind coming through here atm, and forecast cold front on the way.

mudnut
27th September 2016, 11:19 PM
I did absolutely nuthin' to it as I'm still waiting for the snorkel I ordered at the start of last week, only to be told they have none in stock when I rang yesterday. They said I will have to wait for another month. The new rear shockers I ordered from another mob have been 'lost in transit,'

sooty_10
28th September 2016, 07:54 AM
I did absolutely nuthin' to it as I'm still waiting for the snorkel I ordered at the start of last week, only to be told they have none in stock when I rang yesterday. They said I will have to wait for another month. The new rear shockers I ordered from another mob have been 'lost in transit,'
What snorkle did you get? And which shockers did you order?

Bacho86
28th September 2016, 08:26 AM
Same. It was fun.

How's the clutch now?

Touses
28th September 2016, 08:37 AM
Thanks fellas, thanks!!!

Yeah, right rrrsoles aint they! Did I mention I'm off for five days camping and fishing! Bwahahahaha

Winnie
28th September 2016, 09:26 AM
How's the clutch now?

Don't wanna jinx anything but I think it's fixed.....

mudnut
28th September 2016, 09:44 AM

I ordered from a local business. Its supposed to be a genuine Safari snorkel for the same price as Patrolapart. The shocks are Sachs, I think. I ordered them the Monday I got back from the Grampians. They never turned up so they ordered some more and they never showed up.

Rumcajs
29th September 2016, 07:52 PM
Fitted aftermarket cruise control kit. Love my Patrol again :coffeetime:

DIY Aftermarket Crusie Control Installation (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?38480-DIY-Aftermarket-cruise-control-installation&goto=newpost)

mudski
29th September 2016, 08:53 PM

Have you got a snorkel on your GU mate? I have a Safari one here. ;)

sooty_10
29th September 2016, 09:34 PM
Have you got a snorkel on your GU mate? I have a Safari one here. ;)

Nah none on it yet. Was holding off as i have been considering a 4 inch. I have a factory nissan one on the shelf here from my last patrol. Just don't have a template so haven't got around to working it out. Know anyone with a nissan template for a series 1-3 snorkle?

mudski
29th September 2016, 09:48 PM
Nah none on it yet. Was holding off as i have been considering a 4 inch. I have a factory nissan one on the shelf here from my last patrol. Just don't have a template so haven't got around to working it out. Know anyone with a nissan template for a series 1-3 snorkle?

Hmm, i saw a young kid around the corner with his Nissan snorkel removed. Ill see if i can catch him before he cuts it out and get some measurements if you like.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

sooty_10
29th September 2016, 09:57 PM
Hmm, i saw a young kid around the corner with his Nissan snorkel removed. Ill see if i can catch him before he cuts it out and get some measurements if you like.

Yeah that would be sweet. Even a trace? They are hard to come by. Is the hole through the guard in the same spot for series 1-3 as later series 4+?

mudski
29th September 2016, 10:00 PM
That i dont know.

jay see
30th September 2016, 01:17 AM
Know anyone with a nissan template for a series 1-3 snorkle?

I'm sure I've uploaded a template from the one I had. A Ironman one don't know if you can use it or not but I know that it's here somewhere.

Bacho86
30th September 2016, 02:59 PM

This the bloke you were talking about?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/5.png

mudski
30th September 2016, 08:16 PM
This the bloke you were talking about?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/5.png

Thats him....

mudski
1st October 2016, 04:02 PM
Decided to have the arvo off from house stuff and start the ARB twin compressor install. First i had to remove the old single air locker compressor from under the pax seat.
Now for the wiring of the new loom. God!
I wanted to fit the twin under the pax seat as its lower than the single but wider and the under floor vent is in the way. Bugger.
So ill just get the wiring in for now and then try to figure out where to fit the new twin.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/10/2.jpg

mudski
13th October 2016, 11:26 AM
Finally finished the twin ARB compressor install under the pax seat. What a pain that was to do.And moved the fire extinguisher from under the left front seat to the right front.

macca
14th October 2016, 05:22 PM
After a lot of frigging around the front bearings and pads have been replaced and the disks skimmed.

Day 1, Took the disks in... We need the hubs
Day 2, Took the disks in with the hubs... We need the bearings removed
Day 3, Took the disks in with the hubs but the bearings removed... We need the bearing outer still in the hub
Day 4, Took the outers in with a pile of tools and belted the farking outers back in!... No worries mate they will be ready in an hour.

So it went from a $40.00 disk skim because there was some brake shimmy to a $628.00 parts only recondition.
The pads were about 25%, the dust groove was worn away. As I had to remove the bearings and seals it was probably wise to replace them.
It's done 235K and as far as I know not been done so probably falls into preventative maintenance.

So now the beer tastes great!

Sprock
14th October 2016, 09:47 PM
I would've started up ending people after day 3 !

macca
15th October 2016, 07:25 AM
It's a 35klm return trip to town, try to only go into town once a week if that. To do 3 extra trips was a PITA especially driving the wifes Lancer as mine was on stands in the shed!

I'll know for next time LOL.

Bacho86
16th October 2016, 06:53 PM
Installed my new awning that I got for bday

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/10/162.jpg

AB
16th October 2016, 07:03 PM
3 hours to remove 18th century gaskets off my old oil cooler and water pump.

lucus30
16th October 2016, 08:15 PM
Installed my new awning that I got for bday

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/10/162.jpg

So what did you get? I saw you've got an awning and radios... Anything else?
You'll love the awning. I use mine all the time

Sprock
16th October 2016, 08:23 PM
3 hours to remove 18th century gaskets off my old oil cooler and water pump.

Hahaha 18th century gaskets 😝 They all seem to get like that after a short period of time 😤

Bacho86
16th October 2016, 09:31 PM
So what did you get? I saw you've got an awning and radios... Anything else?
You'll love the awning. I use mine all the time

I got some gift vouchers for normal places, cash that'll go towards an exhaust hopefully and a bottle of Tobermory 15 yo single malt scotch whiskey

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/10/176.jpg

No lockers though unfortunately mate !! Hahaha

lucus30
16th October 2016, 09:45 PM
I got some gift vouchers for normal places, cash that'll go towards an exhaust hopefully and a bottle of Tobermory 15 yo single malt scotch whiskey

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/10/176.jpg

No lockers though unfortunately mate !! Hahaha

Nice..... Nice scotch

Bacho86
20th October 2016, 01:52 PM
Had the alternator replaced.... for anyone with a CRD make sure you're sitting down when you hear the price of genuine replacement alternator!!!

Timmo
20th October 2016, 03:09 PM
sooooo, well EEZZEE is no longer with us but have Frosty and I kitted it out with some new boots Pirrelli Scorpians MTR 285/75/17... they are pretty cool and at the right price....I know its a jeep but love being part of the patrol family. heres some pics

sooty_10
20th October 2016, 05:43 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/10/227.jpg what a prick fitting that was. Might have to adjust the intercooler position very slightly and then get some rubber / foam to seal it. Might look at a fan for underneath the cooler too.

Sprock
21st October 2016, 09:23 PM
Pardon the dumb question if I've missed anything as I haven't been on here much lately , sooty_10 did you fit a bigger scoop ? I want to do that to mine but still deciding which 1 ...... I bought another standard scoop to fit next to the original 1 but the original is not quite left of centre so it would be a big job to trim the side of each to get them side by side & centred - if that makes sense .

sooty_10
21st October 2016, 10:26 PM
Pardon the dumb question if I've missed anything as I haven't been on here much lately , sooty_10 did you fit a bigger scoop ? I want to do that to mine but still deciding which 1 ...... I bought another standard scoop to fit next to the original 1 but the original is not quite left of centre so it would be a big job to trim the side of each to get them side by side & centred - if that makes sense .
Yeah mate new scoop. Fitted a Colorado scoop on. Bit of grinder work to make sure it fits. The hardest bit and most time consuming part was lining it all up and double checking before the first grinder cut. First cut done and it was just keep going.

Andy76
22nd October 2016, 12:48 AM
Fitted 22" lightbar and domin8r winch thanks to the great info from people on here made the job easy

Sprock
22nd October 2016, 03:18 PM
Thankssooty_10 what are the measurements of that ? I've looked at a few others but they're either wide enough but not deep enough or visa versa , & did you buy that new ?

sooty_10
22nd October 2016, 03:37 PM
Thankssooty_10 what are the measurements of that ? I've looked at a few others but they're either wide enough but not deep enough or visa versa , & did you buy that new ?
Not sure on measurements, I have a 300 x 640mm intercooler w/ end tanks and it is wider than the intercooler. It is a little bit shorter than the 300mm core but I may consider options on trimming it or moving intercooler. I bought it off gumtree second hand with a bonnet. I got the bloke to cut it out with some bonnet left and brought it back as checked in luggage from the sunny coast. I have the bonnet skin I traced and used as a template for lining it up.

Covo71
22nd October 2016, 05:35 PM
Nothing big but got the roof rack fitted. Finally can fit our stuff to go camping. 69492

Sprock
22nd October 2016, 08:35 PM
Yeah no dramas sooty_10 , I assume it covered the hole from the original scoop ?

sooty_10
23rd October 2016, 07:31 AM
Yeah no dramas sooty_10 , I assume it covered the hole from the original scoop ?
Yep I lined it up to maximise use of the old hole. So the new hole basically touched the front drivers corner of old hole.

Sprock
23rd October 2016, 12:22 PM
Rito thanks I'll look into 1 of them then , I hate the offset scoop - call it OCD or whatever but it shits me , my theory behind fitting the wider scoop will solve that , I'll put a divider in the middle to concentrate half the air over the intercooler then the other side will shove air down over the turbo / hot side of the engine .

Makka
23rd October 2016, 04:45 PM
i moved it out of the driveway ................. then back in

Mc4by
24th October 2016, 06:27 PM
I mounted my recovery points c/o Threedogs...
Quality items.

Mc4by
30th October 2016, 06:10 PM
Rear drawers in..

jay see
3rd November 2016, 04:31 PM
Finally got around to buying my 5th tyre rim combo.
While I was in the area I called passed mudski place to kill some time, but no one home.
Probably out checking for a new home.

jay see
3rd November 2016, 09:39 PM
On the same note.
I remember see someone posting about a 5 wheel rotation, but can't remember who or when. Also any tips on how to secure the spare that mounted on the factory holder.

AD07
4th November 2016, 09:57 AM
Finally bought a new central locking remote....I was definitely over using the key.

TimE
4th November 2016, 05:10 PM
Replaced whining rear diff with an elocker 😁. Now have elocker front and back and 43% reduction gears. Looking forward to the excuses from my Toyota mates when they can't follow me 😎

Hodge
6th November 2016, 04:32 PM
Washed her properly for the first time since purchase in Aug 2015. Came up alright.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69643&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69642&stc=1

Bacho86
6th November 2016, 08:27 PM
Washed her properly for the first time since purchase in Aug 2015. Came up alright.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69643&stc=1

Come up nicely mate! Did you get some new personalised plates or is this just the first time I've ever noticed???

Hodge
7th November 2016, 12:31 PM
Come up nicely mate! Did you get some new personalised plates or is this just the first time I've ever noticed???
Nah it's just something I Microsoft Paint-ed up quickly out of the real rego. lol

Bacho86
7th November 2016, 03:15 PM
Nah it's just something I Microsoft Paint-ed up quickly out of the real rego. lol

Yeh I thought I could see something in the rear one, but the front one look real! Lol

Hodge
7th November 2016, 04:40 PM
Yeh I thought I could see something in the rear one, but the front one look real! Lol

Magic of MS paint lol.

Hodge
7th November 2016, 04:40 PM
Today I completely gutted the second battery system. Redarc out, battery out, tray out.
Going with the rear battery setup. Just gotta get a battery box, some cable and some more lugs.

sooty_10
7th November 2016, 04:53 PM
Today I completely gutted the second battery system. Redarc out, battery out, tray out.
Going with the rear battery setup. Just gotta get a battery box, some cable and some more lugs.
Thats keen effort. I've often contemplated that and then think.... nah works as it is, so why change it.

Hodge
7th November 2016, 05:05 PM
Thats keen effort. I've often contemplated that and then think.... nah works as it is, so why change it.

Rear battery setup was my original idea but I ran out of time back then so slotted everything into the front.

Converting to rear is actually pretty simple on my setup. Everything is lugged already and terminated. Battery will go behind fridge between the cargo barrier. Charger, etc will be mounted on the barrier it's self. Hoping to attack it this weekend pending how much time I have on top of servicing the whole car.

lucus30
7th November 2016, 08:20 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69643&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69642&stc=1

Looks shit I think you should give it to me.
:-)

4bye4
11th November 2016, 05:30 PM
Washed it.

jay see
12th November 2016, 09:51 PM
Did a 5 wheel rotation and fitted that new rear wheel holder. Didn't need to modify anything, just put a lock on it.😀

Mc4by
6th December 2016, 02:10 PM
Installed my new JVC stereo and GME UHF.

BigRAWesty
10th December 2016, 04:38 PM
Big couple of weekends..
Have installed reverse camera.
Hooked up the dimmer on the head unit.
Still need to sort the park brake hack so dvds work.
Finally finished the lift..
Love it..
Well.. need to sort front towers..
Resealed the light bar.
Tightened front wheel bearings.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/148.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/149.jpg

nissannewby
10th December 2016, 08:20 PM
Dont you just earth the park brake circuit out? Then dvds will work all the time. The hand brake switch is just a simple normally closed switch.

morton2478
10th December 2016, 08:43 PM
Installed the new glow plug seals today thanks to mudski for the new seals but also found the injector seals leaking a job for the new year

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
10th December 2016, 11:15 PM
Dont you just earth the park brake circuit out? Then dvds will work all the time. The hand brake switch is just a simple normally closed switch.
Yea that's what I've read. Tapped the supposed trigger line to the earth but still no good..
So gotta dig more on the unit to see that I have the correct line earthed

Mc4by
11th December 2016, 08:19 AM
Installed my awning.

mudski
11th December 2016, 08:03 PM
Removed the radiator for the forth time and added 9ml of oil to the viscous fan hub as my previous oil adjustment left the hub not engaging at all. So now I can you this at speed...Just trying to get the hub to engage and disengage at a satisfactory time.
I also installed full manual free wheeling hubs to replace the auto hubs that I had converted to manual....And drank beer whilst doing this. Was a good day,...

Stropp
11th December 2016, 08:26 PM
7022470225New diesel water separator and Ufi fan and hub, getting a bit tight under the bonnet now.

mudski
11th December 2016, 08:33 PM
Im keen to hear your thoughts on the UFI hub Stropp. Whether its engaged the whole time etc etc.

BigRAWesty
11th December 2016, 09:29 PM
Well my DVD issue was the wrong wire..
Found the manual.
Then found the wire tagged park switch..... 😐
Earthed it out and wholla.. DVD works..
So now it's all up and working as it should..

Stropp
11th December 2016, 09:34 PM
Im keen to hear your thoughts on the UFI hub Stropp. Whether its engaged the whole time etc etc.

Much bigger hub, fan blades are more aggressive in curvature and no mine doesn't run all the time. One guy over here says his uses more fuel now but that remains to be seen.

mudski
11th December 2016, 10:59 PM
Much bigger hub, fan blades are more aggressive in curvature and no mine doesn't run all the time. One guy over here says his uses more fuel now but that remains to be seen.
Yeah i saw those fans and they are almost identical to the Infinity fan im running. The hub you have is larger and seems to be real similar to the matching Infinity hub for the fan im using.
When i overfilled my hub it ran 15c cooler but the noise was unbearable to me as the fan was constantly on. The power loss was minor, i could have dealt with that....
Interested to hear your thoughts after a few weeks of running it.
What radiator are you using?

jay see
12th December 2016, 11:29 AM
Been having a problem while on petrol. No power at all.
Dropped in two bottles of injector cleaner and 20L of 98. Drove it up past Bacchus Marsh through the hills working it hard up the long hills, 2nd gear 3500 - 4000 revs. Temps weren't too bad considering the weather and the A/C running too, peaked at 97 momentarily.
Did notice the power switch for the a/t go on by itself when dropping back a gear when in D, haven't really seen it before.
Seems to drive a lot better power wise now, not quite right but will do another run when I can.

Stropp
12th December 2016, 11:37 AM
Yeah i saw those fans and they are almost identical to the Infinity fan im running. The hub you have is larger and seems to be real similar to the matching Infinity hub for the fan im using.
When i overfilled my hub it ran 15c cooler but the noise was unbearable to me as the fan was constantly on. The power loss was minor, i could have dealt with that....
Interested to hear your thoughts after a few weeks of running it.
What radiator are you using?

just the stock one currently

Bob
12th December 2016, 11:37 AM
Been having a problem while on petrol. No power at all.
Dropped in two bottles of injector cleaner and 20L of 98. Drove it up past Bacchus Marsh through the hills working it hard up the long hills, 2nd gear 3500 - 4000 revs. Temps weren't too bad considering the weather and the A/C running too, peaked at 97 momentarily.
Did notice the power switch for the a/t go on by itself when dropping back a gear when in D, haven't really seen it before.
Seems to drive a lot better power wise now, not quite right but will do another run when I can.
jay see
I find that if I Disconnect the Battery for say 1/2 an Hour to reset the ECU it runs a lot better on Petrol.

jay see
12th December 2016, 11:45 AM
jay see
I find that if I Disconnect the Battery for say 1/2 an Hour to reset the ECU it runs a lot better on Petrol.
Yeah, I've had the battery disconnected last fortnight, didn't really make a difference. It's almost 20 years old and has probably never had 98 or any type of injector cleaner in it before.
I think it just needed a high octane overdose to blow off all the crap on the tips.

mudski
12th December 2016, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I've had the battery disconnected last fortnight, didn't really make a difference. It's almost 20 years old and has probably never had 98 or any type of injector cleaner in it before.
I think it just needed a high octane overdose to blow off all the crap on the tips.

Put some 98 in it and go for a long highway drive. beneboy told me he did this with his car or something similar and it ran better after doing it.

jay see
12th December 2016, 12:26 PM
Put some 98 in it and go for a long highway drive. beneboy told me he did this with his car or something similar and it ran better after doing it.
I did Mark, read post #7115

Ben-e-boy
12th December 2016, 12:42 PM

That was 14.5 hours of straight running though. Then 9 hours the next day. Definatly blew the cobwebs out.

Bacho86
18th December 2016, 08:01 AM
Replaced sway bar bushes, installed a set of rear draws, checked and topped up all major fluids getting ready for high country trip next week

Bacho86
19th December 2016, 10:38 PM
Installed new 80 Ch GME uhf radio and antenna

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/207.jpg

jay see
19th December 2016, 10:45 PM
Is that all black above the spring, or is it just the way the pic was taken?

Bacho86
19th December 2016, 11:06 PM

The top whip section is black but there is a middle section above the spring that's silver -- pretty much sure they're are complete black options if you really wanted

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/7.png

ToddD42
21st December 2016, 11:02 AM
Last night i finished a complete coolant system overhaul; drained coolant from the engine block as well as radiator. All new belts, new water pump, new fan, new hoses.... I was sorta dropping nuts before i turned it over thinking that i had forgotten to tighten things (even though i checked it 10 times); but it cranked over fine and just bled the system of air.
Was so psyched i chucked in new LED globes aswell my misso got me.... i know some people don't think they're great but i'll run em for a while and see what i think of them...
Big shout out to the guys on here who are always helping give tips or help when we get a bit stuck!

threedogs
21st December 2016, 01:39 PM

Good tip if you're running a light bar is mask off and spray all antenna matt black.
You would be surprised how much glare you get from white antennas

threedogs
21st December 2016, 01:42 PM
Last night i finished a complete coolant system overhaul; drained coolant from the engine block as well as radiator. All new belts, new water pump, new fan, new hoses.... I was sorta dropping nuts before i turned it over thinking that i had forgotten to tighten things (even though i checked it 10 times); but it cranked over fine and just bled the system of air.
Was so psyched i chucked in new LED globes aswell my misso got me.... i know some people don't think they're great but i'll run em for a while and see what i think of them...
Big shout out to the guys on here who are always helping give tips or help when we get a bit stuck!

give us some feed back on your LED globes, are they the ones with a fan/motor on them?

Rip'n'Shred
21st December 2016, 04:58 PM
Good tip if you're running a light bar is mask off and spray all antenna matt black.
You would be surprised how much glare you get from white antennas
I agree with you there from first hand experience. I taped mine up with black electrical tape.

threedogs
21st December 2016, 05:14 PM
I agree with you there from first hand experience. I taped mine up with black electrical tape.

Even an alloy bull bar needs either black gaffer tape or carefully mask off
a section and spray matt black again

growler2058
21st December 2016, 06:37 PM
Yesterday picked Troll up from the mechanic.
Exhaust manifold machined.
Found snapped stud, hence the manifold leakin(Bastard$%$# to get the snapped one out)
Replaced radiator top tank
Replaced split air intake duct $450 F@RK3N BUX!
Supply fit fuel filter

PeeBee
21st December 2016, 06:58 PM
Did some wiring work, nothing caught fire, total success, did some welding on rear bar, all good, total success, replaced power steering pulley with a duplex for hydraulic winch drive - didn't break anything, total success - something has got to change as I'm not used to this!

Rip'n'Shred
21st December 2016, 07:43 PM

You've got to be f@#kin jokin me!!!! What engine???

growler2058
21st December 2016, 08:02 PM

CRD! Wrecker would only sell both and wanted $350

BigRAWesty
21st December 2016, 08:15 PM
Zd30 crd.
Genuine is a joke

BigRAWesty
21st December 2016, 08:15 PM
Yesterday picked Troll up from the mechanic.
Exhaust manifold machined.
Found snapped stud, hence the manifold leakin(Bastard$%$# to get the snapped one out)
Replaced radiator top tank
Supply fit fuel filter
Geeze mate..
That's not nice..

growler2058
21st December 2016, 08:18 PM
Geeze mate..
That's not nice..
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

BigRAWesty
21st December 2016, 08:21 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I'll make you a stainless one when I make mine..
Your running dawes yea?

growler2058
21st December 2016, 08:47 PM
Not yet. Gotta get a pyro gauge then chuck the exhaust and dawes kit on

PeeBee
22nd December 2016, 06:39 PM
Mounted hydraulic pump for front winch on the chev, now ready for the belt and hoses to be sorted out.

Hodge
23rd December 2016, 04:25 PM
Some idiot decided to service the patrol today. 30+C today ... I'm never doing that again...

%

Bacho86
23rd December 2016, 04:52 PM
Zd30 crd.
Genuine is a joke

You priced up a genuine CRD alternator.... Now that was a bloody joke!!

BigRAWesty
23rd December 2016, 04:59 PM
You priced up a genuine CRD alternator.... Now that was a bloody joke!!

Can imagine..
The patrol ac compressor is about $1600..
Direct from manufacturer is about $800..

jay see
23rd December 2016, 05:00 PM
Yeah, this idiot decided to swapover all four shockers today, but I started early..

growler2058
23rd December 2016, 06:17 PM
Cleared me 1st fault code (P0401 EGR flow) Piss easy with the scan gauge

UncleFrosty
23rd December 2016, 06:44 PM
'scuse my ignorance Hodge...
Why the spirit levels? Are they to make sure the stubby doesn't slide off the roo bar, or do they serve a less practical purpose???

Hodge
23rd December 2016, 07:22 PM
'scuse my ignorance @Hodge (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?u=15680)...
Why the spirit levels? Are they to make sure the stubby doesn't slide off the roo bar, or do they serve a less practical purpose???

haha I'm glad somebody noticed. Car sits on uneven ground. 2 easy spirit level placements and a jack give me a rough even level of the car when filling up the oil. Simply for a more accurate reading.

Rip'n'Shred
23rd December 2016, 07:32 PM
Some idiot decided to service the patrol today. 30+C today ... I'm never doing that again...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70355&stc=1
Beat me to it

'scuse my ignorance Hodge...

PeeBee
23rd December 2016, 08:40 PM
Yes another fool in the sun all day, started on the hydraulic pump install, then moved to fix the airbags and then stiffen up the rear shocks, then started onto the greasing of the uni's and ended fabricating a mount for the hydraulic winch DCV, started at 8am, finished at 5pm, straight into the pool and the fridge from there!

NissanGQ4.2
24th December 2016, 02:34 PM
Gave the GQ a quick wash. Looks like its about 2 piss down. Really needs a good polish but that ain't gunna happen anytime soon.

ToddD42
28th December 2016, 08:49 AM
give us some feed back on your LED globes, are they the ones with a fan/motor on them?

hey mate!
Yeah they are the JW speaker ones with a fan on the back of them. I'll keep you posted on how they go!

Hodge
28th December 2016, 03:46 PM
Chucked her on stands today and went nuts with lanolin and CRC in the chassis (annual application). Also had a good look for leaks etc... Saw a drop of oil on one of the filters but could be residue from service. Degreased and will re-check.
Also ran the new cable front to back for the aux. battery. Bought some new Redarc MIDI fuses and holders.
Also found this plug (see pic below) all the way in the rear left quarter compartment. Anybody know what option this was for ? I'm hoping one of them wires was IGN to tap the Redarc DCDC into... Haven't tested any of the wires yet.

Got too hot 'n humid and gave up finishing.
Time for some xmas honey ham left overs and some cold Carlsbergs ! :cheers:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70399&stc=1
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70400&stc=1

Tony's 4.8
28th December 2016, 09:39 PM
I drove it home ha ha......

Actually just picked up my new 4.8 this evening. Got it home at 10pm. What a sweet sounding motor. Its a 2004 4.8 Auto TI.
Will take some photos tomorrow and start a new thread under members rigs. Feels good so far (felt like driving it around for another hour on this beautifu night).
How nice it feels to be back into the Nissan stable. Cheers.

Hodge
29th December 2016, 06:03 AM
I drove it home ha ha......

Actually just picked up my new 4.8 this evening. Got it home at 10pm. What a sweet sounding motor. Its a 2004 4.8 Auto TI.
Will take some photos tomorrow and start a new thread under members rigs. Feels good so far (felt like driving it around for another hour on this beautifu night).

Well done mate. Nothing better then driving a new toy home !!

Feels good so far (felt like driving it around for another hour on this beautifu night).

Serious!? Was the most stickiest humidest night ever .... lol It was horrible!

Tony's 4.8
29th December 2016, 07:05 AM
Your right. What a crappy night that was.
I knew I should have kept driving the beast around last night with the sun roof open, the windows down, and some pink floyd on the stereo. Instead I layed ontop of the bed all night wide awake.

Hodge
29th December 2016, 07:09 AM
If my car was driveable I would have done the same thing. Nothing better than a 3am run to maccas on a hot night... lol

threedogs
29th December 2016, 07:49 AM
If my car was driveable I would have done the same thing. Nothing better than a 3am run to maccas on a hot night... lol

Could it be a power source to the cargo area, maybe solder some
wires to a globe so you can see whats going on when testing??
What the previous history it could be for OH led lights etc??
Any screw holes to tell you if something has been screwed there before?

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2016, 10:05 AM
Removed the crappadore battery and fired the old girl up :)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/293.jpg

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2016, 10:17 AM
Fired first go after all this time with more then likely stale fuel

https://vimeo.com/197338375

Winnie
29th December 2016, 10:30 AM
When was the last time it ran? Pretty impressive though.

Ben-e-boy
29th December 2016, 10:46 AM

Amazingly it was 1985

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2016, 10:51 AM

Would have 2 be well over 6 months ago, once the originally battery died from sitting there, I kinda gave up on it all

Amazingly it was 1985

Before it was built *L*

Is yours still on the road Ben???

Winnie
29th December 2016, 11:06 AM
Would have 2 be well over 6 months ago, once the originally battery died from sitting there, I kinda gave up on it all

Before it was built *L*

Been nearly 2 months since I started mine =[
Haven't had money to put fuel in it. Going for a drive this weekend though and I'll take it.
I've only driven 3000kms in it so far this year.

Ben-e-boy
29th December 2016, 11:20 AM

Hasn't been on the road since 11th dec 2015

Winnie
29th December 2016, 11:27 AM

Is anything happening with it?

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2016, 11:31 AM

You got another play toy? or just been working 2 hard so not enough time 2 play???

Ben-e-boy
29th December 2016, 11:58 AM
Is anything happening with it?

Nothing. They wiped their hands with it, because in the eyes of their insurer and likely the courts (which I have given up on because of the cost and time compared to getting another motor) , me(not a qualified mechanic) installing the motor into the chassis and fitting all the auxillary items caused the pistons/bore cleance to be set at 14 thou, not 25 thou and grabbing the bore, the crank to be ground out of square then evidence of that to be destroyed because requesting an inspection and report means machine, amongst other things. I should have gone with my gut and built the thing myself, atleast any failure will actually be my fault

Ben-e-boy
29th December 2016, 12:01 PM
You got another play toy? or just been working 2 hard so not enough time 2 play???

Yeah the g6et. I dont do big hours any more. Just perminent arvo shift Monday-Thursday

Rossco
29th December 2016, 06:59 PM
Changed the rear diff oil after checking the oil cos pinion started leaking a bit. Was reasonably dirty hopefully doesn't give to much trouble if i can make it home to replace the pinion will be happy.

Checked all other oils which were fine and replaced air filter. Pretty bad i know but hadn't changed it since the desert trip, it was pretty bad 😕. . .

Sir Roofy
29th December 2016, 07:25 PM
Changed the rear diff oil after checking the oil cos pinion started leaking a bit. Was reasonably dirty hopefully doesn't give to much trouble if i can make it home to replace the pinion will be happy.

Checked all other oils which were fine and replaced air filter. Pretty bad i know but hadn't changed it since the desert trip, it was pretty bad ��. . .

New filter don't even clean It
saw dust for the diff till you get home
new oil will leak more, saw dust mate works every time in the oil

Plasnart
29th December 2016, 07:33 PM

Haha banana peel, old used car salesman trick to quieten noisy diffs until customer is down the road!

Sir Roofy
29th December 2016, 07:48 PM
Haha banana peel, old used car salesman trick to quieten noisy diffs until customer is down the road!

Yes but oil gets thicker with saw dust dead quiet then

Rossco
29th December 2016, 07:49 PM
Don't worry there was no salvaging this one, reckon half the desert was in there plus half a dozen bugs and some bushes. .

Hmmm sawdust i like your thinking roofy . . .

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2016, 08:47 PM
Emptied the fuel tank finally :)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/298.jpg

PeeBee
30th December 2016, 07:18 PM
Finally got the hydraulic winch connected with new hoses - how prices have gone UP in 15 yrs!, Then, smoke tested the drive belt to the auxiliary pump and re-learnt the lesson about belt pulley alignment, overflowed the hydraulic reservoir, just like the first time, but its super quiet. Need to boost the line speed though as a bit slow in low speed.
Fixed the leaks on the new rear airbags.

juzzs8
2nd January 2017, 10:34 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/1.png

Finally installed titan rear drawers after buying them 2 months ago.
Holes didn't line up great. And workmanship is not super. Going to have to get a grinder to it to get 1 last mounting screw in. Side wings don't seem to fit in too well. But for $380 it's pretty good. Shouldn't complain too much.

boots
2nd January 2017, 03:19 PM
150 K / 6 month service , engine oil & filter , fuel & air filter , diff oils , grease . Still going strong and a pleasure to drive.

mudski
2nd January 2017, 03:26 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/1.png

Finally installed titan rear drawers after buying them 2 months ago.
Holes didn't line up great. And workmanship is not super. Going to have to get a grinder to it to get 1 last mounting screw in. Side wings don't seem to fit in too well. But for $380 it's pretty good. Shouldn't complain too much.

Yeah I found the exact same with mine. But I paid $700 for them, around 12 months ago. Even at 7hunge I wasn't worried too much. The rhs wing cover doesnt even fit on mine, its about 10mm to long. I also made up three braces for it, Which mount and hold the front of the drawers down as I found out mounting a drop slide on top the entire back section would lift and buckle. Not anymore....

As for me. I got the two rear barn door windows tinted to 5%. Just to keep the sun off the fridge a little better.

mudski
2nd January 2017, 03:27 PM
150 K / 6 month service , engine oil & filter , fuel & air filter , diff oils , grease . Still going strong and a pleasure to drive.

Long time no speak mate! How are you?

juzzs8
2nd January 2017, 06:43 PM
Yeah I found the exact same with mine. But I paid $700 for them, around 12 months ago. Even at 7hunge I wasn't worried too much. The rhs wing cover doesnt even fit on mine, its about 10mm to long. I also made up three braces for it, Which mount and hold the front of the drawers down as I found out mounting a drop slide on top the entire back section would lift and buckle. Not anymore....

As for me. I got the two rear barn door windows tinted to 5%. Just to keep the sun off the fridge a little better.

Yeh the side wings are well off. Got them in with a lot of force but not great.
Mine was more issue with left side than right tho.
Good idea bout the tinting will have to get darker tint I reckon.

mudski
3rd January 2017, 09:19 AM
Yeh the side wings are well off. Got them in with a lot of force but not great.
Mine was more issue with left side than right tho.
Good idea bout the tinting will have to get darker tint I reckon.

I have the two side windows in the rear covered with black plastic corroboard from Officeworks. I think Bunnings sell it too. Was about $8 a sheet. I simply removed the window trim, cut the board to the shape of the window, then put the trim back on, which hold the board in place.

Patrol-Guy
3rd January 2017, 06:41 PM
Accidentally put in 10ltrs of Premuim Unleaded. Called my diesel mechanic immediately and he said 10ltrs is not enough to hurt the engine. Just put in a diesel injector cleaner and fill it again when used 1/4 tank. Was very hesitant for sure but he's the specialist and so took the risk. All went well, no problems at all.

That's what I done to my Patrol today. Not good but will be more careful in the future.

Hodge
6th January 2017, 02:24 PM
Just took off, washed cleaned and prepped the channel under the rubber above the barn doors. Prepped for painting. Bit of rust to fix. Will attack external window trims next...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70471&stc=1

katwoman
6th January 2017, 03:52 PM
Picked up new winch, ready to fit next week. Bought and fitted longer tow hitch, had a peek at the new seats, ready to fit next week.

Winnie
6th January 2017, 04:37 PM
Picked up new winch, ready to fit next week. Bought and fitted longer tow hitch, had a peek at the new seats, ready to fit next week.

What winch did you end up getting? And what seats are you getting?

NissanGQ4.2
6th January 2017, 05:02 PM
Yesterday and 2day

Bought a new battery

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/22.jpg

Took it 4 a drive

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/23.jpg

And parked it at the mechanics :)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/24.jpg

Clunk
6th January 2017, 05:57 PM

I've been trying to find a longer hitch that fits. ....... 3 different makes so far and none fit, one went in half way, the 2nd wnet in about an inch and the third wouldn't go in at all...... supposed to be a 50mm receiver, my 50mm short hitch fits no worries

Tis quite annoying as cant fit my bike carrier otherwise

GQtdauto
6th January 2017, 06:05 PM
Cut wire 22 on the TCU and ran each end to a switch on the dash , now I can lock out fourth overdrive on my auto .

katwoman
6th January 2017, 07:48 PM
What winch did you end up getting? And what seats are you getting?

Ended up with the runva 12,000 and I'm getting EL seats raised and fitted.

Winnie
6th January 2017, 08:09 PM
Ended up with the runva 12,000 and I'm getting EL seats raised and fitted.

Nice one, keen to see how you go with the EL seats!

Kami
11th January 2017, 08:48 AM
Took her shopping and decided she needs a bath!! Maybe get patrner to do it cause I do t wanna get wet!!

threedogs
11th January 2017, 09:28 AM
I've been trying to find a longer hitch that fits. ....... 3 different makes so far and none fit, one went in half way, the 2nd wnet in about an inch and the third wouldn't go in at all...... supposed to be a 50mm receiver, my 50mm short hitch fits no worries

Growler was saying a while back that they [OE} are a weird size like 51mm or 52mm

Clunk
11th January 2017, 10:16 AM
Growler was saying a while back that they [OE} are a weird size like 51mm or 52mm
Well it's misleadimg information then, when they say it's a 50mm hitch on the box [emoji12]

mudnut
12th January 2017, 01:35 PM
Yesterday and today, I sat in the shade with some fine wet'n'dry, some water, some cloths and a bottle of Purple Polish. I also found out that the pup loves to lick up the polish:frown:

katwoman
12th January 2017, 02:46 PM
Yesterday and today, I sat in the shade with some fine wet'n'dry, some water, some cloths and a bottle of Purple Polish. I also found out that the pup loves to lick up the polish:frown:

Oh yeah. That's so purty.

TPC
12th January 2017, 02:55 PM

I have had them custom made by our local tow bar mob for work and the price has been reasonable.

Clunk
12th January 2017, 03:38 PM
I have had them custom made by our local tow bar mob for work and the price has been reasonable.
How reasonable is reasonable if you don't mind me asking?

TPC
12th January 2017, 04:23 PM
How reasonable is reasonable if you don't mind me asking?

I am going by memory but i think it was about $60 to supply and modify a hitch they had to suit the Mitsi Challenger work car I drive.
We have also bought other specialty hitches for mounting pump up antenna masts on them and the price has always seemed reasonable at the time but buggered if I can remember the actual price.

Clunk
12th January 2017, 05:48 PM
I am going by memory but i think it was about $60 to supply and modify a hitch they had to suit the Mitsi Challenger work car I drive.
We have also bought other specialty hitches for mounting pump up antenna masts on them and the price has always seemed reasonable at the time but buggered if I can remember the actual price.

okey dokey, I'll have an ask around and see what's what

Skitzyrex
15th January 2017, 01:10 PM
Changed the diff ratio from 3.54 to 4.11 and added a front locker whilst they were out.

abw
15th January 2017, 02:59 PM
Changed the diff ratio from 3.54 to 4.11 and added a front locker whilst they were out.

Yeah, I did the same with mine 3.54 to 4.11 with e-locker. I'm on 33s, and it drive so much better. fuel consumption has improved 1-2 lph as well. Haven't gotten around to correcting the speedo yet..have the marks corrector, but been too lazy to fit it

Skitzyrex
15th January 2017, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I did the same with mine 3.54 to 4.11 with e-locker. I'm on 33s, and it drive so much better. fuel consumption has improved 1-2 lph as well. Haven't gotten around to correcting the speedo yet..have the marks corrector, but been too lazy to fit it

I'm also on 33s and was just going to buy a new pinion speedo gear. $50 instead of $240 and I don't plan on running differently sized tyres. I just need to find the right one as I've found conflicting info from reading on forums.

Sir Roofy
15th January 2017, 04:21 PM
Nothing been parked up all week of to the shop
tomorrow to fix pinion seal cover

PeeBee
15th January 2017, 08:56 PM
Engine dies when changed over to run on aux. belly tank, so changed in-line filters before change-over valve, and also on breather line. Left fuel cap off, doesn't make a difference, so looks like tank is coming out, not happy. Ran ok for the last 18 yrs with original Nissan motor, but for some reason it won't draw with new lift pump and engine.

PeeBee
17th January 2017, 04:20 PM
Had new sump fitted, oil and filter change, new Safebrake Braided lines fitted with complete fluid flush, drives and stops well.

katwoman
18th January 2017, 04:15 PM
Parked in the shed so the new winch doesnt get dirty and I can drive the cruiser...

Winnie
18th January 2017, 05:25 PM
How did you go at the mechanic Todd?

PeeBee
18th January 2017, 09:30 PM
Dropped a steel ruler down the front of the radiator , behind the aircon and oil cooler coils - spent 2 hrs trying to fish it out - gave up and left it for tomorrow's job before I wrecked something in frustration.

4bye4
18th January 2017, 09:44 PM
Found that the hole where the pyro for the EGT gauge had worn and the sensor was loose. Replaced the dump pipe with a brand new one. Max boost now 5psi at a temp of 550deg. Readjusted the NADS and set up again. Boost now north of 28PSI and temps south of 300 deg. Readjusted Dawes etc again. Boost now 15PSI but EGT gone north again. Adjusted it all again and got max boost at 18PSI and normal 10PSI at 100-110. temps around 400deg and max temps at 500 deg(ish.) Good result. Drove hame and lost all boost and temps through the roof again. Forgot to do the lock nut up tight on the Dawes. Chit. Started all over again and all good now. Anyone in Perth wanting help setting up NADS give me a call when you have a week or so to get it done. LOL. Its taken me three days to do what should be a 1 hour or so job.

Bacho86
21st January 2017, 05:04 PM
Took the draws and cargo barrier out, put the dickie seats in, put the road tyres back on and transformed the patrol back into a mums taxi ready for school runs lol ☹️

Hodge
21st January 2017, 06:01 PM
Took the draws and cargo barrier out, put the dickie seats in, put the road tyres back on and transformed the patrol back into a mums taxi ready for school runs lol ☹️

At least the kids will go to school in style, in a awesome 4x4 lol.

Clunk
21st January 2017, 06:05 PM
nothing today, but I gave it a makeover yesterday

PeeBee
21st January 2017, 07:08 PM
Made bracket for new aux 200amp alternator and fitted it. Looking to wire it tomorrow if i can get some answers on the termail designations - posted in electrical.706317063270633

threedogs
23rd January 2017, 03:31 PM
Made bracket for new aux 200amp alternator and fitted it. Looking to wire it tomorrow if i can get some answers on the termail designations - posted in electrical.706317063270633

Looks very neat well done, why the need for the extra amperage ????

mudnut
23rd January 2017, 03:57 PM

I was wondering the same thing. TD.

PeeBee
23rd January 2017, 03:58 PM

Wanted the grunt for the rear battery in the main when using the rear winch warn 15000lb in the rear bar. Trying to protect against deep discharge.

mudnut
23rd January 2017, 04:05 PM
Are you going to run the second alternator all the time, or are you gunna slip a belt on before you go offroad?

Throbbinhood
23rd January 2017, 04:06 PM
This was for saturday, but new rotors and pads all round, repacked cv's, new front wheel bearings, few other bits. Still need to change rotor button in dizzy, redo the timing and seal up the dizzy cap again. Plus add dielectric grease to the ignition lead boots, and finally bleed the brakes as I mistakenly let the master cylinder run empty (car was still on an angle from pulling the cv's). Fun and games.

PeeBee
23rd January 2017, 04:15 PM
Are you going to run the second alternator all the time, or are you gunna slip a belt on before you go offroad?

Its hooked up all the time. I asked a similar question on this forum regards temp isolation, and the answers came back back along the lines that it will only charge to the state of discharge anyway, so over-charging is not an issue. I guess I am 'wearing out' two for the price of one, but in the end its simply a bearing/brush issue regards life, and this vehicle would not see 2000 klm/yr at most. There is no apprecaible extra noise when driving and can't detect any loss due to additional belt drive - if it was on the original 2.8TD it probably wouldn't get off the line!

PeeBee
23rd January 2017, 04:25 PM
Swapped over aux. fuel tank solenoid valve as it had finally died after 19 years of use - not bad service I reckon. Dirty awkward job in the heat, in the garage, at ground level, covered in diesel - oh the joys!

Clunk
23rd January 2017, 05:21 PM
left it on the front lawn after it looked at me in disgust

garett
23rd January 2017, 08:35 PM
put an extra horn on it .. sounds beautiful :rolleyes:

Mc4by
23rd January 2017, 09:07 PM
Ordered a Manta 3 inch exhaust.
All going well I will install on Wednesday.

Beetle Rox
23rd January 2017, 11:09 PM
Changed the fuel filter. Lol!

Clunk
24th January 2017, 01:21 PM
took it to the smash repairers for assessment :(

katwoman
24th January 2017, 01:59 PM
Pulled out the back seat, ready for the fridge, changed the drivers seat so I can now see over the bonnet, pulled the high lift jack off the roof to keep her under 2.1m, put on a wind flecka over the back doors, fitted new aux battery after sorting electrical issue with duel batt system, unpacked, repacked rear drawers. just need to put the fridge in and I'm ready to go....

Winnie
24th January 2017, 02:24 PM
Where are you off to this time?

Rossco
24th January 2017, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=katwoman;712297]pulled the high lift jack off the roof to keep her under 2.1m/QUOTE]

Off to Tassie by any chance? . . . Or a weekend away in beutiful melbourne car parks ?!!

katwoman
24th January 2017, 03:25 PM
Where are you off to this time?

[QUOTE=katwoman;712297]pulled the high lift jack off the roof to keep her under 2.1m/QUOTE]

Off to Tassie by any chance? . . . Or a weekend away in beutiful melbourne car parks ?!!

Yeah, Tassie here we come... Leave on the first of Feb for about 4 weeks.
I may need to let my tyres down as well, as she sits at 2.13 in the rear.

GQtdauto
24th January 2017, 03:57 PM
Put a set of Titon draws in from the 4wd super centre , geez what an excersise in frustration , started at 7am just finishing now but still have the side wings to play with (don't fit) and electrical to sort out .
Bottom bracket nearest back door was perfect for hole alignment, moveable bracket would only align with one hole so had to do a bit of drilling and filling .
My GQ has a raised floor one side so had to pack out other side , damaged fridge slide was a let down especially as it's come from factory that way .
But all in all worth the mucking around for the bucks saved over big brand units but only just .
Now thinking of buying another and splitting it in half so I can have three drawers high .

jay see
24th January 2017, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=Rossco;712302]

Don't forget lots of pics. 📷

threedogs
24th January 2017, 04:39 PM
put an extra horn on it .. sounds beautiful :rolleyes:

I run 2 of this style and loud as all get out

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/139db-Loud-Dual-Tone-Air-Horn-Compact-BLACK-Snail-Nautilus-Style-12V-Car-Truck-/302127634205?hash=item465835d71d:g:-C4AAOSw-0xYgF9q

threedogs
24th January 2017, 04:41 PM
Put a set of Titon draws in from the 4wd super centre , geez what an excersise in frustration , started at 7am just finishing now but still have the side wings to play with (don't fit) and electrical to sort out .
Bottom bracket nearest back door was perfect for hole alignment, moveable bracket would only align with one hole so had to do a bit of drilling and filling .
My GQ has a raised floor one side so had to pack out other side , damaged fridge slide was a let down especially as it's come from factory that way .
But all in all worth the mucking around for the bucks saved over big brand units but only just .
Now thinking of buying another and splitting it in half so I can have three drawers high .

Have you thought about a top shelf and a verticle wire mesh divider

Rossco
24th January 2017, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=Rossco;712302]

Ooh very very jelly want to get back they're soon and do some awesome tracks. My olds are going over on the 10th too for a weekish (bastards too!), say gday if you see them they'll be in a 3ltr gold / champaign GU. . . Enjoy ☺

GQtdauto
24th January 2017, 06:06 PM
Thanks three dogs might look into it .

TimE
24th January 2017, 06:54 PM
Had the fuel leak from my new, in July, LRA tank fitted by TJM Darwin fixed by TJM Canberra. Seems the boys in Darwin routed the fuel lines incorrectly. The fuel line rubbed through, luckily it lasted the trip home.

Lesson, TJM Darwin ummmm so so, TJM Canberra good, work done without hassle, and they dealt with the Darwin mob.

The Kimberley trip is on this year so I hope all is good. 🙏🙏

Clunk
24th January 2017, 06:56 PM
took it to the smash repairers for assessment :(

insurers have given the go-ahead to repair, so good new is the chassis isn't damaged. Probably be fun and games sorting the customer bar out though.

mudnut
24th January 2017, 07:10 PM
That is great news, Clunk. Tough old busses, these Qs.

Maxhead
24th January 2017, 07:15 PM
Had the fuel leak from my new, in July, LRA tank fitted by TJM Darwin fixed by TJM Canberra. Seems the boys in Darwin routed the fuel lines incorrectly. The fuel line rubbed through, luckily it lasted the trip home.

Lesson, TJM Darwin ummmm so so, TJM Canberra good, work done without hassle, and they dealt with the Darwin mob.

The Kimberley trip is on this year so I hope all is good. [emoji120][emoji120]

Glad you had it sorted out mate but I can't say I had a "good work" experience by TJM Canberra mob!
In fact my experience was the opposite to yours and will never go back! Mind you this is when they were in Queanbeyan . Possibly not Rod's fault but his fitters or suppliers in my case

................on the road

Clunk
24th January 2017, 07:21 PM
That is great news, Clunk. Tough old busses, these Qs.

I guess that all depends on how you look at it, would also have been nice to have the money instead to get a new car ;) hahahaha

Avo
24th January 2017, 08:35 PM
insurers have given the go-ahead to repair, so good new is the chassis isn't damaged. Probably be fun and games sorting the customer bar out though.

give it to me,i'll fix it good

Clunk
25th January 2017, 10:04 AM
give it to me,i'll fix it good
You just keep it in your pants mate

threedogs
25th January 2017, 04:20 PM

This is good news isn't it, no longer a virgin now
at least there will be no putty in the guard,
Whats the turn around time or not worried as
long as they repair it right.?
Good news on the chassis too eh??

threedogs
25th January 2017, 04:30 PM

If you cage in the fridge you'll have plenty of room for all your
bits and not crowd the fridge, I still havn't finished mine but you can get
a shelf about 250mm [10"] deep which IMO is heaps

Clunk
25th January 2017, 05:34 PM
This is good news isn't it, no longer a virgin now
at least there will be no putty in the guard,
Whats the turn around time or not worried as
long as they repair it right.?
Good news on the chassis too eh??

Well it's a bit of a conundrum really, yes it's good that it can be repaired but as a family, we're kind of getting to the point where a wagon doesn't really suit our needs.
GQ's are not too good on rear leg room for 3 growing kids, especially with me and the missus up front. A newer roomier vehicle with auto is what the requirement has now become

In regards to turn around time - no idea, will depend on how long it takes for them to get the parts in. No idea what they will do about the bullbar either seeing as its custom, so they won't be able to source one, so I'm guessing I'd get a cash payout for that.

MB
25th January 2017, 05:45 PM
GU time brother, our 11YO eldest is now as tall as Mum and we'd be stuffed in a mighty GQ too!

MB
25th January 2017, 05:52 PM
This ones the go Clunkstar!
You can spend your weekends on repairs instead of relaxing too:-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/140.jpg

Clunk
25th January 2017, 06:01 PM
This ones the go Clunkstar!
You can spend your weekends on repairs instead of relaxing too:-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/140.jpg

tell you what you buy it and I'll send my family over for free hahahahaha

Clunk
25th January 2017, 06:10 PM
GU time brother, our 11YO eldest is now as tall as Mum and we'd be stuffed in a mighty GQ too!

TD42's to expensive, not interested in a zd30, only option would be a TB48.

We're actually thinking of the crewcab ute route, drove passed Nissan the other week and I actually had the 3 kids with me, so quickly stopped in so we could test the space in the NP300 Navara, definitely more room that the GQ for sure. Just load up and away we go - no trailer required.

Will try out the other makes just to see what they're like too - but buying one will more than likely be a long way off and I'll have to start selling my services to save up - which might take even more time ;)

MB
25th January 2017, 08:19 PM
Dare I say it, only because in a past life was a ToyYoda driver. Maybe a cheap Troopy of old could work for long legged family adventures. My only gripe with Yoda's was drivetrains yet if not flogging the the old ones on casual family trips I reckon they'd last forever mate!

nissannewby
25th January 2017, 08:21 PM
TD42's to expensive, not interested in a zd30, only option would be a TB48.

We're actually thinking of the crewcab ute route, drove passed Nissan the other week and I actually had the 3 kids with me, so quickly stopped in so we could test the space in the NP300 Navara, definitely more room that the GQ for sure. Just load up and away we go - no trailer required.

Will try out the other makes just to see what they're like too - but buying one will more than likely be a long way off and I'll have to start selling my services to save up - which might take even more time ;)

Im actually looking at a Y62 because of some of the reasons you list.

Clunk
25th January 2017, 08:54 PM
Im actually looking at a Y62 because of some of the reasons you list.
Yeah I've thought about those too...... insurance money from my car being written of would have been a good deposit, wouldnt get the same if I sold it [emoji24]