PDA

View Full Version : GQ Parklights

gqrob
28th January 2012, 02:02 AM
Hey there guys, after just recently buying my GQ I have just noticed that my park lights are not working properly. When the stalk is turned to park only the rear ones come on, The only time the front ones come on is when the headlights are on low beam.
I was talking to a mate that had one and he said his were all stuffed up as well. Was wondering if it's a GQ thing and is there a fix for it? Much rather try and sort it myself than take it to an auto sparkie. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Clunk
28th January 2012, 02:17 AM
could possibly be the contacts on the stalk itself.................... mine work most of the time but once in a while I've got to give the passenger side one a tap..... not just a GQ thing, happens to my mates old Navara hahahaha

jc58nc
28th January 2012, 01:24 PM
One good thing about MQ MK GQ's is you can pull apart the headlight switch and clean the contacts, it's a good place to start.

gqrob
28th January 2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks a lot for that guys, I will strart with the switch and work my way from there

black-mav
1st February 2012, 09:02 PM
with my lights the left goes out when it feels like it than comes back on i put a multi meter on it shows im getting 12v so could it just be the globe having a fit???

YNOT
1st February 2012, 09:11 PM
with my lights the left goes out when it feels like it than comes back on i put a multi meter on it shows im getting 12v so could it just be the globe having a fit???

It could be a bad contact at the globe or a bad earth.

Tony

black-mav
1st February 2012, 09:18 PM
ill try that tomorrow at work as there is contact cleaner :)

Silver
1st February 2012, 11:35 PM
keeping that switch clean is a good idea - on my old MQ I didn't, and the resistance that built up in there melted the plastic so that the metal contacts moved out of contact - was able to fix it, but prevention would have been better

Dirtydog16
18th February 2012, 03:47 PM
interesting point about cleaning the switch contacts. my left hand headlight has started to play up and wont go to high beam but low beam works ok. I checked the voltage and i have a fair amount of voltage drop there.

I plan to make a new wiring loom soon so this will fix my problem of voltage drop but I might also check out the switch contacts for fun.

Stusgq
20th April 2012, 03:44 PM
hmmm, mine has an issue as well... front lights all work however t/lights and dash lights work intermittantly??? I haven't really had a good look yet, but am assuming it is an earth problem...

97_gq_lwb
20th April 2012, 06:11 PM
I blind people sometimes when i turn the high beam on with the spot lights it sometimes stays on and won't switch back to low beam when i see a car oncoming must really piss them off.
I really should put it on the list of things to do lol.

Winnie
20th April 2012, 09:46 PM
Before you blind someone and make them have an accident.

Stusgq
27th April 2012, 03:12 PM
so... Finally decided to do something about my intermittent issue with my park lights. Problem was that the parklights/tail lights/dash lights (all on same switch circuit i believe) were failing intermittently - more off than on!
I had my missus stand behind the truck while I swithched parl lights on - nothing. I then had a bit of a fiddle with the stalk, flicking onto high beam and then back, swithing lights on/off etc. untill she let me know they were on then off etc, etc, etc. - Took a little while with a few stubbies along the way.
Anyway I decided it was obviously in the switch that was playing up and pulled it out for a look.
I then pulled the white plastic cover off the back of the switch block - it's actually held on by 4 melted tabs, 1 on each corner. It's made of really thin plastic so came off easily enough.
I found that there is five copper fingers inside which connect with contact points as the light switch is turned. The centre one is for park lights, I gently levered it up and cleaned both sides of the contacts with a cotton bud soaked with meths.
Put it all back together.
Sweet as! Lights all work perfectly.