PDA

View Full Version : gu 2001 auto

beexy
26th January 2012, 08:35 PM
hey again guys been a while bt after paying off bills back on the market for a troll. one i was looking at was a 01 3L auto for $21000 with winch bar and all terrains and had 238500 kms on it or a similar one with 209000 for $22000. the other was a 02 guIII auto with 215000 on the clock for 22500. do these sound like a good deal. would get a 4wd mechanic to do a check before buying but wanna know if they sound like a decent deal. also what is the auto like?
thanks in advance everyone

Aben Dean
27th January 2012, 07:11 PM
If its ZD30, get it thoroughly checked by a good mechanic.

teleman
27th January 2012, 10:07 PM
I know for a fact that if you look hard enough, you find 01 an 02's with 150 or less on the clock. Auto is ok but manual is much better. As mentioned above if its a ZD30 make sure it has been well looked after. I did and it turned out great!!!

beexy
29th January 2012, 01:07 PM
yeh that was the plan to get it checked by a 4wd mechanic. cause i have no idea. and maybe ill keep looking for something tele

beexy
4th February 2012, 08:30 PM
also wondering is there anything you can do to get better engine braking out of a auto gear box

Bigrig
4th February 2012, 08:34 PM
also wondering is there anything you can do to get better engine braking out of a auto gear box

Cheaper option - install a manual torque converter lockup switch - about $220 installed

Expensive option - install reduction gears - about $2000 installed but far more reliable and less stress on the gearbox by a long stretch (longer life)

beexy
5th February 2012, 03:08 PM
hey bigrig. have heard of reduction gears but what about the manual torque lock up. havent heard of that what are the negatives to it?

Bigrig
5th February 2012, 03:29 PM
hey bigrig. have heard of reduction gears but what about the manual torque lock up. havent heard of that what are the negatives to it?

Not sure truth be told mate. I know it adds engine compression back to the engine for additional crawling in low range, but it still isn't as much as reduction gears.

Rodney from Wholesale Automatics in Melbourne would be able to take you through the concept behind the lock up switch.

beexy
5th February 2012, 09:14 PM
cheers bigrig will keep it in mind

outbackjack
28th February 2012, 01:39 AM
You could get a 01 a lot cheaper than that. I wouldnt pay anymore than 10 to 12k. Infact I would buy one with a blown engine for around 6k, put a BRAND new ZD30 in it or as others have done put a TD42 in it. You would still spend around the 20k odd. But be much further out front.

Chaz
28th February 2012, 08:47 PM
beexy,

There’s nothing wrong with the auto trans used in the ZD30 GU’s. Reduction gears and manual lockup help, but the converter locks in low first from the factory anyway, so I wouldn’t say it’s all that beneficial for off roading, but is great for towing.

Personally, I’ve never had a problem with engine braking and I have done a few very steep slippery descents.