PDA

View Full Version : What does your full comprehensive vehicle insurance cover???

NissanGQ4.2
26th January 2012, 07:50 PM
Do you know what your vehicle insurance covers?

My story:

Back in late 2000 I had been out playing in the 4b with a mate after some storms we had, the track that we were traveling down was blocked by a fallen tree. So my mate been behind me threw a u turn and headed back out 2 take another track. I followed and on the way back out I hit a bit of mud going around a bend ( only mud on the whole track! ) which sent me sideways, straight into the embankment and before I knew it I was on my side. Both vehicles weren't setup for a recovery of this nature, so after a phone call 2 another mate ( about 7 pm, starting 2 get dark! ) he said know worries I be there soon.

I won't go into details of the lengthy recovery, but by about 11pm I was back on all 4's. Fired the old girl over, Sh!t this thing still drives, wonder if the local pub is still open...........15mins later I was sitting at the pub drinking a few bourbons :):):)

Next morning went 2 work, was not sure if my full comprehensive insurance covered me for off-road, even though I was in 2wd at the time, So got a work mate to ring my insurance cover saying that he just bought a 4wd and wanted 2 know if he got full comprehensive would he be covered for off road. There answer was yes as long as it wasn't an event / competion, he would be covered. So he hung up the phone, I pressed redial and made my claim.

I told them exactly what had happened and that my vehicle had been rolled onto its side. Told them exactly where I was and gave all details...... no problems.

4b went to the smash repairs for the repair work, no dram's, Got my damaged alloy bar replaced with my current ARB bar, had 2 pay $250 for the deference in price between both bars. 4b took longer than expected 2 get back as I had 2 deal with chrissy closure...... can't remember exactly how long they had it but it felt like ages.

Drove my car from the smash repair company 2 home.......about 8 k's max, do drama's all seems fine.

Drove my car to work the next day.......about 5k's max..

As I reversed into my car parking spot, there was this terrible squeal coming from under the bonnet! WTF!!!!! turned car off and popped the bonnet and done a quick visual inspection. Nothing seemed to look out of place so I decided to check oil's / water..... etc

WTF!!!!!!

Power steering - NO fluid what so ever, hence what was squealing.

Me been the simple minded person I am, assumed that because my 4b had been on its side that all fluids would be checked because been on its side they might of leaked out........

So I rang the smash repair company.....no we don't check fluids, we just repair the body work.....

Rang the insurance company,

My question was: where the fluids checked because I just pulled up at work and my power steering fluid is none existent......

There answer: No .

My reply: Isn't it common sense that fluids may leak out if a car it tipped on its side or roof.

There answer: but we don't check the fluids unless it is specifically requested from the customer at the time of the claim.

It was like hitting my head against the brick wall, I believe my insurance should of not only payed for the body to be repaired but also for the motor 2 be checked and all fluids replaced.

I should of taken the matter further but didn't want 2 get myself into a legal battle, had 2 many other things going on @ the time.

I promptly cancelled my full comp insurance.

One day I may get it again, at least I know from experience what I should be asking the insurance company: what does my insurance really cover!

So my question to you: What does your full comprehensive insurance really cover?????

Sorry, know pics of the 4b on side or the recovery, just a couple while on holidays at the repair shop.

Cheers

Todd

12272 12273 12274

12275 12276 12277

rusty_nail
26th January 2012, 09:44 PM
thanks mate, a good read and very informative!

Woof
27th January 2012, 10:09 PM
Nothing, been ringing up insurance companies today and so far none will touch me....keep saying that it is illegal, yeah I know that just want to get it insured:furious:

NissanGQ4.2
27th January 2012, 10:30 PM
Nothing, been ringing up insurance companies today and so far none will touch me....keep saying that it is illegal, yeah I know that just want to get it insured:furious:

I doubt any insurance company will cover you if its not road legal

taslucas
29th January 2012, 08:06 PM
My full comprehensive insurance covers: 1 windscreen ( or any window) per year, fire, theft, all crashes including at fault accidents, country road stuff(branches, trees etc), hail damage. Maybe some more I forgot! And any person can be driving (as long as they have a driver's license). $46 a month. Not actually sure about the specifics of 4wding!
Oh and I told them it had 2 inch lift and 33s, was all good.

oncedisturbed
10th February 2012, 07:27 PM
QBE / Zurich will cover full offroad providing it is in a gazetted offroad area or a private property where permission was given. Vehicles have to comply with relvant legislation for mods etc before the insurance companies will insure them. I think there are only a handful of companies that won't cover any offroad driving

NissanGQ4.2
10th February 2012, 09:50 PM
This thread wasn't so much about did your insurance cover you off-road, but more the fact that things one would assume would get looked at probable doesn't.

macca
11th February 2012, 09:30 AM
:offtopic: We have had our insurances with TCIS Brokers in SA, at the moment the Patrol is with Alliance.
All accesories at listed value are included in the agreed value.
20m liability cover.
Insured any where in Australia. Beaches, rivers, islands - anywhere.
I think they call it low tide mark to low tide mark.
Back :offtopic: Had the situation of putting a vehicle on its side on a track that is not on any maps we can find, repaired without question.
I did open the bonnet and a look underneath to made sure no fluids had leaked out before the car was started, seemed like a good idea at the time. Had no leaks as it turned out.
Reading your experience I'm real glad I did.
Macca

Sir Roofy
11th February 2012, 10:13 AM
Do you know what your vehicle insurance covers?

My story:

Back in late 2000 I had been out playing in the 4b with a mate after some storms we had, the track that we were traveling down was blocked by a fallen tree. So my mate been behind me threw a u turn and headed back out 2 take another track. I followed and on the way back out I hit a bit of mud going around a bend ( only mud on the whole track! ) which sent me sideways, straight into the embankment and before I knew it I was on my side. Both vehicles weren't setup for a recovery of this nature, so after a phone call 2 another mate ( about 7 pm, starting 2 get dark! ) he said know worries I be there soon.

I won't go into details of the lengthy recovery, but by about 11pm I was back on all 4's. Fired the old girl over, Sh!t this thing still drives, wonder if the local pub is still open...........15mins later I was sitting at the pub drinking a few bourbons :):):)

Next morning went 2 work, was not sure if my full comprehensive insurance covered me for off-road, even though I was in 2wd at the time, So got a work mate to ring my insurance cover saying that he just bought a 4wd and wanted 2 know if he got full comprehensive would he be covered for off road. There answer was yes as long as it wasn't an event / competion, he would be covered. So he hung up the phone, I pressed redial and made my claim.

I told them exactly what had happened and that my vehicle had been rolled onto its side. Told them exactly where I was and gave all details...... no problems.

4b went to the smash repairs for the repair work, no dram's, Got my damaged alloy bar replaced with my current ARB bar, had 2 pay $250 for the deference in price between both bars. 4b took longer than expected 2 get back as I had 2 deal with chrissy closure...... can't remember exactly how long they had it but it felt like ages.

Drove my car from the smash repair company 2 home.......about 8 k's max, do drama's all seems fine.

Drove my car to work the next day.......about 5k's max..

As I reversed into my car parking spot, there was this terrible squeal coming from under the bonnet! WTF!!!!! turned car off and popped the bonnet and done a quick visual inspection. Nothing seemed to look out of place so I decided to check oil's / water..... etc

WTF!!!!!!

Power steering - NO fluid what so ever, hence what was squealing.

Me been the simple minded person I am, assumed that because my 4b had been on its side that all fluids would be checked because been on its side they might of leaked out........

So I rang the smash repair company.....no we don't check fluids, we just repair the body work.....

Rang the insurance company,

My question was: where the fluids checked because I just pulled up at work and my power steering fluid is none existent......

There answer: No .

My reply: Isn't it common sense that fluids may leak out if a car it tipped on its side or roof.

There answer: but we don't check the fluids unless it is specifically requested from the customer at the time of the claim.

It was like hitting my head against the brick wall, I believe my insurance should of not only payed for the body to be repaired but also for the motor 2 be checked and all fluids replaced.

I should of taken the matter further but didn't want 2 get myself into a legal battle, had 2 many other things going on @ the time.

I promptly cancelled my full comp insurance.

One day I may get it again, at least I know from experience what I should be asking the insurance company: what does my insurance really cover!

So my question to you: What does your full comprehensive insurance really cover?????

Sorry, know pics of the 4b on side or the recovery, just a couple while on holidays at the repair shop.

Cheers

Todd

12272 12273 12274

12275 12276 12277

very good read todd but why didnt you do a pre start up check before leaving the work shop
when i was an operator on heavey plant or any vechicle we always double checked that item
just to cover your self,you shouldnt assume you should check as well

NissanGQ4.2
11th February 2012, 11:09 AM
very good read todd but why didnt you do a pre start up check before leaving the work shop
when i was an operator on heavey plant or any vechicle we always double checked that item
just to cover your self,you shouldnt assume you should check as well

Your right I shouldn't of assumed that it was looked at, I should also of checked as soon as it was back on all 4's, but it was late and I was exhausted. No excuse really, but at the end of the day this thread is really just a warning 2 others if they find themselves in the same situation 2

1, Check the oils / water yourself first
2, Make sure your insurance company gets the mechanical side of things looked at, not just repairing the body damage.