PDA

View Full Version : Running LPG on Hot Days

altech
26th January 2012, 10:49 AM
Hi Guys, the other day ,it was Hot and driving in traffic in Melbourne , stop,start stop LOL , anyway the motor with Aircon on ,felt like it was going to stall , So switch it over to Petrol all's good , look at sub gauge which is setup to read LPG tank showing half, but not empty , hmmm I go to fill it up, as I Servo filling up tank , not much LPG went in (e.g. 4 litres ) hmmmm thats funny , ? 1/ Does Hot days make the LPG in tank to pressure more or less than normal days . 2/ do the lpg engine lines have trouble keeping up pressure to Engine, regards Alex

gq4200
26th January 2012, 07:44 PM
Hot days should be no problem for your LPG system. Pressure is higher and you cant fill the tank as much on a hot day... but would still fill to at least 90% of normal. I would say your gauge is out for starters. Take a look at the one on the tank.. it is often more accurate ( I know APA tanks have this).
If the tank was really 1/2 and took no LPG then this is a problem. I would 1st try a different servo ... hot day + Servo tank nearly empty does the same thing.... otherwise the AFL valve on the tank is defective.

Engines always tend to run worse on a really hot day... especially when left idling as the engine bay is so hot, the intake air temps are huge.

altech
26th January 2012, 08:04 PM
Thanks gq4200 for that info ,does makes sence cheers Alex

Steve cooper
26th January 2012, 08:53 PM
Hi mate,
Another thing to check is how much water/coolant is in your cooling system, if the level is low enough the LPG converter can "freeze up", causing the car to run rough and even stall and not restart, it might not even show up as hotter on the temp gauge when this happens depending on where the converter is mounted.......

As gq4200 said, looking at the fixed level gauge on the tank should give u an idea of the actual level in your tank in case the level indicator in the cabin is out, they can be quite inaccurate at times, however if u run out of gas the vehicle should idle properly and not stall, u just can't get any throttle response when u press the accelerator.

Sir Roofy
26th January 2012, 09:09 PM
a tip for you ---fill up or top up early morning while every thing is cool
you,l find that more goes in than in the heat of the day

altech
28th January 2012, 07:30 AM
Thanks again Guys for more info on LPG cheers Alex