PDA

View Full Version : Petrel Added to Diesel Tank

MKings
25th January 2012, 09:03 PM
**Edit - The Subject of this post should read 'Petrol' not Petrel <3rd sigh>

Hi Guys,

Firstly I'd like introduce myself. My name's Mathew and I live in Epping NSW. I'd suggest to you my wife know more about the inners of a car than I do (which I'm soon about to confirm). I can drive though.

I've joined your site as I need some help fixing a small error which has just happened. I've filled our tank + sub with Petrol. As in I've filled them both up - I only noticed as I pulled out of the servo and looked at the docket when stopped at the lights. The price wasn't right and then I realised I wasn't at the normal pump <sigh>.

Anyway - I did panic some what and once I got home - Figured I shouldn't have driven it <2nd sigh>. It still had 1/4 tank in it when I filled it and I didn't smell nor notice anything strange on the drive home (which would be about 5km). So with that Said - Is there a manual online or on this site by chance which might explain how to drain my tanks?

When speaking with our mechanic (after he stopped laughing) he said I should be able to drain the tank, replace the filter and try cranking it over after adding some diesel.

Any help/links would be great.

Cheers,
Mat

Bigrig
25th January 2012, 09:18 PM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it.

Enjoy!!

Dhuck
25th January 2012, 09:19 PM
Welcome to the forum mate. Sorry to hear of your mistake. Someone will be along that can help you out soon.

MKings
25th January 2012, 09:25 PM
Cheers Guys - Fingers crossed..

Is this the best area for my post or should I move it into another topic?

Cheers,
Mat

largey
25th January 2012, 09:38 PM
hey welcome to the forum this is more of a intro to the forum might help if u post in another section of the forum
anyway welcome abord mate

MKings
25th January 2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks - Will do

Clunk
26th January 2012, 03:37 AM
g'day mate and welcome aboard

my third 256
27th January 2012, 09:17 AM
**Edit - The Subject of this post should read 'Petrol' not Petrel <3rd sigh>

Hi Guys,

Firstly I'd like introduce myself. My name's Mathew and I live in Epping NSW. I'd suggest to you my wife know more about the inners of a car than I do (which I'm soon about to confirm). I can drive though.

I've joined your site as I need some help fixing a small error which has just happened. I've filled our tank + sub with Petrol. As in I've filled them both up - I only noticed as I pulled out of the servo and looked at the docket when stopped at the lights. The price wasn't right and then I realised I wasn't at the normal pump <sigh>.

Anyway - I did panic some what and once I got home - Figured I shouldn't have driven it <2nd sigh>. It still had 1/4 tank in it when I filled it and I didn't smell nor notice anything strange on the drive home (which would be about 5km). So with that Said - Is there a manual online or on this site by chance which might explain how to drain my tanks?

When speaking with our mechanic (after he stopped laughing) he said I should be able to drain the tank, replace the filter and try cranking it over after adding some diesel.

Any help/links would be great.

Cheers,
Mat
we knew what you ment

wildgu6
27th January 2012, 10:19 AM
G'day Mat' welcome aboard mate
Great lot here with tons of advice and adventures and experiences,
Hang around, ask away and Join in where ever you feel comfortable.
Post your Q in general Nissan patrol chat if you already haven't, not all read the intro section,

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

youngseal
27th January 2012, 11:04 AM
You really shouldnt have a problem, before going for the national car test here in Ireland I was advised actually to put a quater tank of petrol oin to a half tank of deisel to "assist" with theemissions reading...the aul smoker passed!
I have heard however that the two fuels seperate if left to sit for a time and that that can cause a problem...drive her on I say and fill with deisel when you use a quater tank!
Good luck on the site.

Finly Owner
29th January 2012, 01:01 AM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Matt

Tim

CptClinac
29th January 2012, 11:15 AM
Hi,
I agree with youngseal to some degree.
The problem is 2 fold.
1/ the petrol burns faster but not as hot so you will notice a lot of power drop.
2/ MORE important. the diesel is a lubricant as well as a fuel. Running petrol (solely) in the injector pump will cause a lot of wear. Cheaper to dump the petrol than to replace the pump.

A lot of our high country farmers add some petrol to the diesel in their tractors to prevent cold temperature gelling of the fuel. typically up to 25%.

You mentioned you had about 1/4 tank. therefore mix = 75% petrol.
Suggest you drain 1/2 into a drum.
fill with diesel.
This will give you something like 66% diesel 33% petrol.
Run till nearly empty then refill with the drum and fill with diesel. Same again.
This should give enough lube to pump, and enough power to engine.
I drove a friend's terrano with 50/50 diesel petrol (he was rather embarassed too)! It was sluggish!!!

If you find it's too sluggish on 66/33 mix do a short trip then top-up with diesel.

Warning: I am not a mechanic. I only think I know quite a bit about these things.

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in their turn."
Mr Bennet from Pride & Prejudice by Jan Austen.

JoeG
29th January 2012, 11:50 AM
Hi
Sorry to hear of your mistake
The previous post is correct
You can safely run up to 25% petrol (alpine mix) for high altitude in Europe
You can also ad some vegetable oil to your own mix once you lower it to 33%, just ad 4l of the cheapest vegetable oil for lubrication and burn it off
till you run out
Many Diesel drivers run up to 5% vegetable oil and some even add petrol up to 10%
I am trying it in my tractor and with 10% veg and 10% petrol to the diesel tank it suffers no power loss (the smoke under load has changed from Black to grey that's all)
So good luck and keep smiling'
Joe

Maxhead
30th January 2012, 08:17 AM
G'Day Mathew, welcome to the forum mate