PDA

View Full Version : Defects

mrcrazydude
25th January 2012, 07:26 AM
Has anyone actually been defected in a 4x4 for pillar mounted gauges?

Also, other defects anyone has been done for?
State where it happened would be interesting too

Maxhead
25th January 2012, 07:45 AM
Has anyone actually been defected in a 4x4 for pillar mounted gauges?

No way, they couldn't!!! Was it obstructing the vision or something??

mrcrazydude
25th January 2012, 08:15 AM
No way, they couldn't!!! Was it obstructing the vision or something??

Sorry NissPat, but strictly speaking there are phrases in the VSI's & ADR's that mean in NSW you can be defected for them, not certain about the rest of the country.
From looking at the Patrol A-Pillar relative to the steering wheel & forward vision, I think it should be ok. Just want to know if anyone has been done in a Patrol or other 4wd. They hit the ricer's up for it all the time :grin:

Maxhead
25th January 2012, 08:21 AM
Sorry NissPat, but strictly speaking there are phrases in the VSI's & ADR's that mean in NSW you can be defected for them, not certain about the rest of the country.
From looking at the Patrol A-Pillar relative to the steering wheel & forward vision, I think it should be ok. Just want to know if anyone has been done in a Patrol or other 4wd. They hit the ricer's up for it all the time :grin:

Hmm, I see. I have seen some new cars come out with gauges on top of the dash from factory.

Bigrig
25th January 2012, 09:19 AM
Lack of mudflaps on the rear of the vehicle.

Queensland. November 2011

rusty_nail
25th January 2012, 09:28 AM
no that its a patrol, but my mate got defected for not having engineered any of his mods lol you can see the nice red sticker on the window!

MudRunnerTD
25th January 2012, 09:46 AM
Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps!

Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps!

This is a NO BRAINER!!!!

I cant believe how many guys still drive heavily modified Patrols around with no bloody mudflaps. If there was any doubt of reason for not pulling your car over you are inviting the attention.

If you get done for No Mudflaps and have to present your car over the pits as a result then more fool you. Just Dumb!

Guys lay under their cars for hours and hours fitting big lifts and doing all kinds of chops, cuts, mods and customisations, some of which in teh real world are fairly questionable then to drive out of your shed without at least mudflaps that would take an hour to sort out.

Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps!
Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps!

Just incase you missed it

Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps! Mudflaps!

Sir Roofy
25th January 2012, 10:25 AM
dosen,t make sense realy about the pillar pod,mine dosn,t interfear with my vision
what about all the little gadgets on the patrol cars like speed cams computers and all the other stuff they have installed

and there must lots of ppl booked for there gps stuck on the wind screen

Clunk
25th January 2012, 11:12 AM
So MR, I guess mudflaps are probably a good idea then hey!!!!???? LOL

macca86
25th January 2012, 11:41 AM
big rig might be feeling sheepish now haha. if you have huge tyres with bead locks on them and barwork and no mud flaps you are going to get pulled over and done over. All mods need engineered

Bigrig
25th January 2012, 11:56 AM
Go easy boys - firstly, I'm not dumb. Secondly, he gave me a 72 hour rectification defect with no penalty/fine so long as it was done in that timeframe as the mud flaps were in the back of the car (which i showed him) after some work I had done on the @rse end over the weekend - finished on it late Sunday night, got picked up by pure unadulterated poor fortune on Monday morning dropping the kids to school, and the flaps were back on by midday Monday ...

But yes ... mud flaps are important.

That all said, not sure of other states but no mud flaps required on the front of the vehicle (even though I have them) ... apparently flicking rocks up on your own car and passing vehicles is not as important as hitting the cars behind ... yet another example of the mis-guided and flaky laws that apply.

mrcrazydude
25th January 2012, 12:42 PM
You just made my day, thats classic!
And sooooo true!

This is a NO BRAINER!!!!

I cant believe how many guys still drive heavily modified Patrols around with no bloody mudflaps. If there was any doubt of reason for not pulling your car over you are inviting the attention.

If you get done for No Mudflaps and have to present your car over the pits as a result then more fool you. Just Dumb!

Guys lay under their cars for hours and hours fitting big lifts and doing all kinds of chops, cuts, mods and customisations, some of which in teh real world are fairly questionable then to drive out of your shed without at least mudflaps that would take an hour to sort out.

mrcrazydude
25th January 2012, 12:48 PM
If you start looking into it, the ADR (not that I have made heads or tails out of the actual documents for this issue) is in place to do with the "Head Impact Zone" in an accident.
ie. the wording (paraphrased -as I said, haven't found it in the ADR docs) is about "height & positioning relative to the steering wheel & head impact zone in a crash".
So 1 gauge right at the base of pillar & dash should technically be ok, since it is forward & below the top of the steering wheel.
2 or 3 gauges, running up the pillar however becomes an issue.
Ironically, the factory grab handle is in the way & would hit you before the pillars!!

As for Cops, taxi's etc - that is classed differently and to do with them doing their job.
For GPS - since most of them are suction mounted to the windscreen, and as such considered "Safe" since it will move when your head hits it
<shrug> load of BS if you ask me, but then read what else people get booked for vs what not.

Oh, and I'll add a point here that it also depends on the cop. Some will warn, some will discuss, and some will shrug their shoulders and say, "not my problem to determine the legalities. I hand you the ticket & its up to you to prove one way or the other" <dusts off hands and walks away>

dosen,t make sense realy about the pillar pod,mine dosn,t interfear with my vision
what about all the little gadgets on the patrol cars like speed cams computers and all the other stuff they have installed

and there must lots of ppl booked for there gps stuck on the wind screen

Sir Roofy
25th January 2012, 01:23 PM
If you start looking into it, the ADR (not that I have made heads or tails out of the actual documents for this issue) is in place to do with the "Head Impact Zone" in an accident.
ie. the wording (paraphrased -as I said, haven't found it in the ADR docs) is about "height & positioning relative to the steering wheel & head impact zone in a crash".
So 1 gauge right at the base of pillar & dash should technically be ok, since it is forward & below the top of the steering wheel.
2 or 3 gauges, running up the pillar however becomes an issue.
Ironically, the factory grab handle is in the way & would hit you before the pillars!!

As for Cops, taxi's etc - that is classed differently and to do with them doing their job.
For GPS - since most of them are suction mounted to the windscreen, and as such considered "Safe" since it will move when your head hits it
<shrug> load of BS if you ask me, but then read what else people get booked for vs what not.

Oh, and I'll add a point here that it also depends on the cop. Some will warn, some will discuss, and some will shrug their shoulders and say, "not my problem to determine the legalities. I hand you the ticket & its up to you to prove one way or the other" <dusts off hands and walks away>

as usual one set of rules for them and us

Woof
25th January 2012, 03:03 PM

This is a NO BRAINER!!!!

HMMMMM, may have to get me some................................

Thanks for the tip mate..:bigthumbup: