PDA

View Full Version : Gu led dash lights

patrol2.8
23rd January 2012, 11:00 PM
Did this the other weekend very easy to do takes about an hour to do reckon they look better than the old lights cost under 20.00 to do to

rusty_nail
23rd January 2012, 11:03 PM
nice one mate, this is on this list of things that are easy and cheap to do!

patrol2.8
23rd January 2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks was also thinking maybe doing warning lights in another color maybe green or orange theres even pink but thats another days project gotta finish the others first

grubkenbel
2nd February 2012, 01:49 AM
Did this the other weekend very easy to do takes about an hour to do reckon they look better than the old lights cost under 20.00 to do to

Hi just wondering if it is a kit or you can just shove some led lights in?

Bacho86
3rd February 2012, 02:06 PM
I've been thinking about doing the same upgrade for a while as well, how easy was it to replace the lights - did you have to pull much of the dash off or is there an easier way to get access

patrol2.8
3rd February 2012, 11:55 PM
need to take the top part of the plastic around steering colum then undo and remove the black trim from around the instruments then undo a couple of screws and thats pretty much it then just move the instrument panel so you can get your hand in behind it

Bigrig
4th February 2012, 01:02 AM
need to take the top part of the plastic around steering colum then undo and remove the black trim from around the instruments then undo a couple of screws and thats pretty much it then just move the instrument panel so you can get your hand in behind it

No joke - I saw them on eBay tonight and thought they looked great - nuff said. Thanks old mate, gunna get me some!!!

Lewy
4th February 2012, 07:46 AM
Gday Patrol2.8

So where did you get the lights from and do the LED ones just replace the old ones?

Looks great and will have to do this one for sure

Lewy

patrol2.8
4th February 2012, 08:10 PM
G`day Lewy
got the lights off ebay try this link http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-GU-Blue-LED-Dash-Light-Kit-/180775922523?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1715ab5b and all you do is take the old light out and push the led into the the socket and replace plug easy as

altech
4th February 2012, 08:24 PM
Hi patrol2.8, So you don't have to take the steering wheel off, I got the same kit the other week , mine just came with globes , not a how do paper LOL regards Alex

update install led globes, thinking that all black caps where the ones I needed to change , the ones on the ends are battery and low fuel light that says on now , looks good , and one what the green light caps are for ? thinking there are for trip meter and time regards Alex

patrol2.8
5th February 2012, 07:05 PM
No no need to remove the steering wheel theres just enough room to get your hand in behind the instrument cluster My kit was just globes aswell the globes just pull out like on christmas treelights the only other thing you need to know is the is led lights are negative and positive if you put them in and they dont work just take out the globe holder and turn it around and all should be good im going to replace all my warning lights with another color maybe red,green or even pink

Bigrig
5th February 2012, 07:07 PM
Mine are bought and paid for - shipping on Monday.

They look a treat!!

patrol2.8
8th February 2012, 10:42 PM
altech yeah i did the same for some reason fuel light stays on with led light i changed mine back to the ordinary globe and hasnt come on so hopefully i got it right took me ages to get them right i changed all thje same color caps thinking it was right but nissan dont do it that simple i ended up just one globe at a time with a blanket over the windscreen turning the lights on and off till i got it done put up a night pic so we can see the color of the lights bette rplease

patrol2.8
8th February 2012, 10:44 PM
Big rig good on ya you wont regret it i have a patrol ute that work supplies and the white lights really annoy me now when i drive it

Bigrig
8th February 2012, 10:46 PM
Big rig good on ya you wont regret it i have a patrol ute that work supplies and the white lights really annoy me now when i drive it

Get this, mine got "lost" in the post! Same place the vinyl came from so I believe the seller ...

Right, now to buy another set ... bloody expensive these LED's!!! lol

patrol2.8
8th February 2012, 11:17 PM
Hope he gives you a discount at least and put up some pics of the finished job

Bigrig
8th February 2012, 11:19 PM
Hope he gives you a discount at least and put up some pics of the finished job

Me too and I will indeed mate!!

Lewy
11th February 2012, 02:50 PM
Just finished doing mine last night and it looks great!!!!!!

oncedisturbed
11th February 2012, 05:19 PM
dang nabbit, more mods to :)

patrol2.8
13th February 2012, 08:39 PM
pictures?????????

Bigrig
13th February 2012, 09:29 PM
Mine arrived today - plan to install them this weekend ... fingers crossed I don't stuff it up!!! lol

patrol2.8
13th February 2012, 09:41 PM
Nah you will be right good luck with the install its easy

Timbo
14th February 2012, 12:01 PM
What do you guys think about the legal ramifications for changing the colours?

Cop pulls you over at night, asks you to the the car on and the lights etc.. spots fancy blue dash lights...

I'm a bit in the air about it.. it looks nice but I worry about the visibility. Those pics at the start of the thread look really dark in places.

taslucas
14th February 2012, 01:07 PM

Cop pulls you over at night, asks you to the the car on and the lights etc.. spots fancy blue dash lights...

I'm a bit in the air about it.. it looks nice but I worry about the visibility. Those pics at the start of the thread look really dark in places.

I was watching one of those police camera actions shows the other day and they said that no vehicles are allowed to have blue lights. Maybe this is only on the outside? A mate had a little datsun 1000 club car and got defected for having blue lights on the front.

Timbo
14th February 2012, 01:17 PM
I was watching one of those police camera actions shows the other day and they said that no vehicles are allowed to have blue lights. Maybe this is only on the outside? A mate had a little datsun 1000 club car and got defected for having blue lights on the front.

I can almost guarantee you're not allowed to change the dashboard lights either. ;)

I don't mind what people do though, guess it can look good. I was just interested in what people were gonna say if they are pulled over and it was brought up.

Lewy
14th February 2012, 01:38 PM
Well for one I can now see my dash much clearer. Also there are heaps of cars comming out with blue lights even my xr8 had blue dash lights as standard. I'm not bothers buy the cops one would think that they would have much better things to worrie about.
Lewy

Bigrig
14th February 2012, 01:49 PM
I guess I'd ask the same question - good point if there is something that prohibits it, but the blue lights on the dash is something that comes standard in many cars. I'll suss out the guidelines when I get home and see if QLD states anything specific - the part of the guide that covers blue lights that I've seen is specifically for outside the car (I.e. you can't make your car appear to be a police/emergency vehicle).

Timbo
14th February 2012, 01:56 PM
Be good to find out Scotty. If there's no issue on dash lights, I'd seriously think abut some red ones if they're available.

edit: Of course you can get Red dash lights Timbo! Silly me lol. Quick look on Ebay shows many colours!

Bigrig
14th February 2012, 02:01 PM
Be good to find out Scotty. If there's no issue on dash lights, I'd seriously think abut some red ones if they're available.

edit: Of course you can get Red dash lights Timbo! Silly me lol. Quick look on Ebay shows many colours!

I'll have a hunt and post up what I find mate - interesting indeed

Bigrig
14th February 2012, 02:06 PM
This is the standard mods guideline - there is a more detailed one which I'll check later but this one states nothing about instrument cluster modifications specifically ...

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/c792a0c9-92b1-43ee-933b-7bdd8b20842f/pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

Bigrig
14th February 2012, 02:18 PM
This is the detailed document - cant see anything readily here either, although I am only having a quick scan on the iPhone ...

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/b3ea8c53-b6a1-489e-933d-dac4054f21ba/codeofpracticelightvehiclesreductions.pdf

stock patrol
14th February 2012, 05:55 PM

Inside the vehicle is nothing to do with safety outside is a different matter. From the Transport Dept up here in Brisbane. I got told by an inspector that you can have any color you you like ( parkers ) so long as it isn't blue or red facing forward. I used to have green lights in parkers on truck and got knocked off at Chinderah. Have green in my ute and the cops have seen them with no problems. The other thing in regard to lights not working properly once changed to led comes from current draw. Being that normal bulbs draw more power than led do. To get around that you can go to expence of getting a resister to put into the circuit but that's really not worth the drama. I have two resisters sitting in my toolbox because they were a drama to install.

patrol2.8
15th February 2012, 03:39 PM
Timbo
Dont go by the pics they were taken with a 3meg phone camera leds are bright and there are no dull spots at all as for legalities if you read the regs you would probably find that you need an engineers cert to fit after market guages i live next door to a copper and he reckons the average copper wouldnt even care as long as they worked
Stock patrol
There is no need to for resisters as the leds work fine as stated camera used for pics is crap

Bigrig
15th February 2012, 04:13 PM
Yep, I can't find anything, anywhere related to dash/instrument cluster lighting ...

Rang DOT on the number in that document again and the guy had no idea himself - hadn't even had the question before apparently.

Seems logical (I know, I know) that so long as they are working and bright, they are good to go.

Mine go in this weekend.

patrol2.8
15th February 2012, 11:36 PM
Good to hear i didnt think there would be to much of an issue but now we know for sure i need to pull mine out again i put the low fuel light in the wrong spot and ran out the other night luckily sub was full

Lewy
16th February 2012, 10:02 AM
Here is a few pics of mine taken with my phone :-)

Bigrig
16th February 2012, 10:56 AM
Here is a few pics of mine taken with my phone :-)

Yep, they look great mate!

Did you only get 5 LED's for all that job? I got 5 in the bag, but didn't know how many behind each panel, so if I can do my boost gauge and auto temp gauge also, I'll be giggling!!

Lewy
16th February 2012, 02:05 PM
Yep, they look great mate!

Did you only get 5 LED's for all that job? I got 5 in the bag, but didn't know how many behind each panel, so if I can do my boost gauge and auto temp gauge also, I'll be giggling!!

Cheers Bigrig,

Well I got 9 But in my instrument panel I only needed 2 as that is all that is in mine. So I them put in 2 for my gauges and 2 for my air con buttons... I also put one in for my high beam but it was WAY to bright so pulled it out and put the standard one back in.. I'm Guessing that some model GU's have more light in there instrument panel?

Lewy

patrol2.8
16th February 2012, 03:20 PM
Lewy looks sweet isnt it so much better at night looking down onto the guages when your cruising along

Lewy
16th February 2012, 05:21 PM
Lewy looks sweet isnt it so much better at night looking down onto the guages when your cruising along

Absolutely!!!!!! Its so much easier on my eyes and so easy to read and looks fantastic :-)

BearGUST
16th February 2012, 08:34 PM
Any change to a safety item such as a speedo could technically be a concern as there are specific design rules that apply.
You'd be very stiff to ever get done though!
Early 'sports' level VE's had red illumination which was a bit hard to read at times, they kept the red theme but changed the gauges to white as it was heaps clearer to read.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-37.845422,144.946684

BearGUST
23rd February 2012, 10:59 PM
I ordered a set of the white LED's and fitted them tonight, not impressed at all so have pulled them back out.
They weren't white, and they weren't bright. I'll get some new incandescent globes tomorrow as the ones I pulled out were pretty black.

Bigrig
23rd February 2012, 11:43 PM
Haven't done my 'blueys' yet, that's something for this weekend ...

Bummer on the white jobbies though!!

patrol2.8
5th March 2012, 12:40 PM
Bigrig hows the install going

Bigrig
5th March 2012, 12:47 PM
Bigrig hows the install going

Sorry mate, did them last week - they were easy to do and look pretty good. Nowhere near as brig as the standard bulbs, but still good (ish). The big bonus is on night driving in non built up areas - softer light that seems to 'interfere' less in your peripheral vision ...

My only want would be that they were maybe a little brighter, and that you could still use the dimmer switch for them (mine don't dim/brighten) so not sure on that one ...

patrol2.8
17th March 2012, 10:55 PM
big rig good point on dimmer will check and see if mine dim just did mine dim down without a problem not sure why yours wouldnt

mudski
5th May 2012, 12:31 PM
need to take the top part of the plastic around steering colum ...
Do I need to remove this right out? As I have unscrewed it but for the life of me can't get it out. The steering wheel is in the way. Unless I have to hold my tounge a certain way. I have the steering column lowered as far as it will go too...

altech
6th May 2012, 11:38 AM
Hi Guys, did mine when patrol2.8 did his , I left out the trip meter and clock as there where white , here a pic at night cheers Alex

patrol2.8
6th May 2012, 09:40 PM
altech looks good can the brightness be adjusted as i know of a few that have lost that with the leds

mudski
7th May 2012, 04:09 PM
Guys. The new LED globes you have are they just the globe and they fit into the little plastic socket or they the globe and socket all in one? I see you that they are listed on Ebay for GU series one only and then I see them listed for GU patrols...I fail to see what the actual difference is.

patrol2.8
7th May 2012, 07:13 PM
mudski mine were just the globes i had to use the original holders as mine is a series 1 im not sure if there is a difference between the models

mudski
8th May 2012, 05:33 PM
Yeah, mines a series 2, and from two sites I found selling series one LEDs then another listing for other GU's. I asked both the difference between the two and both didn't want to spill the beans. I found a pic of a series one globe they sold and it was the sames as mine. So I just ordered for a series one. Lets hope they fit, and work.
Getting itchy now, just waiting for my these and the McNally Boost/EGT guage to arive and my dawes from the states and them I'm set to fit it all together with the needle valve, provent and EGR plate.

altech
8th May 2012, 06:55 PM
Yes patrol2.8 there can be dim down ,just like the old one's pretty kool cheers Alex

LostPlot
22nd August 2012, 04:26 PM
Hi all,
Thought I would add to this just so you can make an informed decision.

I chose red LEDs from eBay - as stated, easy to fit but be aware that they do create dull spots as they are not multi directional. I decided to go one step further and purchased the expensive ones from bright Lights (being "multidirectional') but they still created dull spots and i reckon a little worse than the eBay ones, but can't be bothered swapping out again to compare. one of the bright light ones also failed to work, even reversing it polarity wise didn't work, which was disappointing considered their cost and postage was rather high.

Anyway, just wanted to add, as I was disappointed with the result, but i'll leave them in.. Oh and the dimmer worked on both - GU II 2001 model..

All the best..

threedogs
22nd August 2012, 05:45 PM
Everyones saying blue leds, but aren't red better for night vision etc. my eyes are stuffed and my interior light is white/red, but buggered if I can see better with red.
Only installed them as someone said better for map reading,,,,, not in my case

Oleksiy
13th September 2012, 07:07 PM
Do you need specific tools to change the lights ?

and what's a good price for those kind of lights?

patrol2.8
14th September 2012, 02:43 PM
no need for specific tools and i think i paid around 20-25 dollars for them off ebay

parafrog
15th September 2012, 09:51 PM
Trying to also find out what these globes actually look like, both originals and these LED aftermarkets. Have an 02 3L series 2 GU. Any photo's would be great, cheers.

patrol2.8
17th September 2012, 06:00 AM
Take a look at these two links first one will show you how the basic shape of the leds 2nd is the one is the one i bought for my car they are a simple job to do just pull out old globe push in new one and done if new globe doesnt light up just pull it out reverse it and replace
http://www.ledshoponline.com/automotive_dashboard_bulbs.htm
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ZPE-Blue-dash-LED-kit-Nissan-Patrol-GU-Series-1-/280967906144?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416afe0360

Wine_maker
19th September 2012, 01:52 PM
One time I saw this

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15029

and I very like how its look

BearGUST
26th September 2012, 12:07 PM
One time I saw this

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15029

and I very like how its look

That does look pretty good!

threedogs
26th September 2012, 05:13 PM
Globes are called T10 I'll put a pic here shortely, not sure how many you need but cheap as on Ebay
T20 are the larger wedge style for reverse and front parkers I think.

adventurepaul
27th September 2012, 05:35 PM
If you dont want to wait 3 weeks off ebay, Jaycar sell them all and are only a couple of bucks. I just did all mine including every switch with single led's. See here http://search.jaycar.com.au/search?w=zd%20led&view=list
Only cost me about $12. The Speedo ones are CAT. NO. ZD0386 X2 and 2 for the AT selector and ash tray. Heater controls are CAT. NO. ZD0382 and need x2.
They also have red if thats what you like.

threedogs
27th September 2012, 06:06 PM
Hey Paul possible to put a pic up, want to do it myself but not sure what colour and if its worth it, be it only a few bucks.
thinking red myself, but if anyone wants blue I have heap of globes here [10]

snewin
3rd October 2012, 09:01 PM
Everyones saying blue leds, but aren't red better for night vision etc. my eyes are stuffed and my interior light is white/red, but buggered if I can see better with red.
Only installed them as someone said better for map reading,,,,, not in my case

Hi 3D I was under the impression that the red lights for interior light weren't for better visions i.e. map reading, but they were so you didn't get blinded by white light and then couldn't see the road. So what I mean is that you can be driving along at night, turn on the interior light to read a map, then turn the interior light off again and suffer no effects from having the interior light on, as you may suffer with a bright white light. My 2c.

DaveK
24th October 2012, 07:55 PM
I bought some off the ebay, (via the link in this thread) and they dont fit my dash or heater control box.
I have the 10/04 GU model... any ideas?

PS oh just realised this is my first post... hi guys

threedogs
24th October 2012, 08:02 PM
Back to intros DaveK easier that way

mudski
25th October 2012, 09:05 AM
Here's a pic of what the blue looks like. I'm actually considering getting the white fascia's for the dials too as I have 10% tint on my windows, and with the dials sitting far back into the dash they are really hard to see during the day.