PDA

View Full Version : will I get flamed?

werafa
23rd January 2012, 04:40 PM
My 'new' GQ Patrol has a Ford badge on the front and a Maverick sticker on the side.
Maybe they thought 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em...'

Anyway, Hi from a newbie, and just to start some interest, this one is headed for Papua New Guinea.

growler2058
23rd January 2012, 04:42 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here full of great info and advice

Bigrig
23rd January 2012, 04:45 PM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it.

Enjoy!!

Dhuck
23rd January 2012, 05:10 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

wildgu6
23rd January 2012, 05:52 PM
G'day Buddy welcome aboard
Great lot here with tons of advice and adventures and experiences,
Hang around, ask away and Join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

AB
23rd January 2012, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, plenty of Mav's on here mate so go nuts!

Feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

MudRunnerTD
23rd January 2012, 06:13 PM
G'day mate, where are you off to in PNG? Spent a couple of years in the Sepik in 1994, 95.

My advice to you would be to do the mods to it before you ship it, ie a 2inch lift will be heaps and buy a GOOD set of Tyres as the rubber up there is Junk! Depending where you are going will determine what tyres.

All the 4bs up there when i was there were running split rims. they are really hard to balance and on local cars generally they did not bother. A good strong set of rims will be a winner and some bead breakers / Tyre irons will be a god send.

If you want a Winch, buy it here and fit it up, when i was there a winch was nearly unheard of so bolt it up down here.

I used to shred tyres regularly up there as the rubber was terrible and the road conditions was hard core. In the dry it was rough, in the wet season it was soup. Think about buying a good quality Air compressor and think about your tyre pressures when ever you go off road or onto the dirt. I did not know then to deflate and i think that is why i shredded the tyres so fast. I'd think about dropping to 25psi for the dirt roads.

Recovery gear will be impossible to get i reckon so a good snatch strap will be a winner for you. A Drag chain will come in handy and a couple of winch extension straps will help if you need to tow any Public Transport buses out of your way in the Wet Season.

Make sure your Aircon works!

Have a great time mate.

Silver
23rd January 2012, 07:06 PM
Welcome, werafa!

I've got a standard 89 Mav, TB42 at that, and everyone has been consistently nice :-)

YNOT
23rd January 2012, 07:56 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Paul (Patch697) our supermod drives a Maverick so if anyone flames about having a Mav they'll have him to answer to!

Tony

Clunk
24th January 2012, 12:47 AM
g'day werafa, welcome aboard mate

werafa
24th January 2012, 06:27 AM
Thanks for all the welcomes - and the assurances that thermal undies are optional.

MudrunnerTD, our place is just outside Goroka. check out integratedcommunitytraining.com if you want some happy memories.

MudRunnerTD
24th January 2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all the welcomes - and the assurances that thermal undies are optional.

MudrunnerTD, our place is just outside Goroka. check out integratedcommunitytraining.com if you want some happy memories.

That looks like a great place. are you going there for a placement or are you Tim? if a placement i could not find any info on how long the placements are for?

I spent 2 years in Wewak as an AVA (Australian Volunteers Abroad) My placement was as the Provincial Maintenance Supervisor for the Education Department developing a sustainable maintenance strategy for the High School system in relation to Building maintenance. We renovated many classrooms of the 8 provincial High Schools and completed many worthwhile projects in the 2 years. When i left i had a team of 20 local Tradesmen working for me and had developed one of my leading tradesmen to step up and manage the project on my departure. I have fond memories of the Sepik. Tough place but an incredible life experience. I was 24 years old.

werafa
24th January 2012, 09:17 PM
Me Tim.

yes, it is a beautiful country. Our project concept is non-aid based community development - which comes down to 'we'll help, but we won't do it for you'. We come and go a bit, and lay on a big trip every couple of years.

want to join us?

Finly Owner
29th January 2012, 12:53 AM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House

Tim

paulyg
29th January 2012, 07:50 AM
Hi werafa welcome to the forum.

youngseal
29th January 2012, 10:03 AM
Now there is a place worthy of a Patrol! Must check out that site...

Maxhead
30th January 2012, 07:18 AM
G'Day Werafa, welcome to the forum mate