PDA

View Full Version : What to check/change after getting stuck in water?

jackliveshere
21st January 2012, 11:36 PM
Hey guys, I got my GU stuck today in a water hole and had to winch myself out. The motor never stopped and luckily I only had a tiny amount of water in the bottom of the air box (and a lot inside the vehicle). Have had to remove the interior to dry it out but was hoping for some advice on what else I should do. Should I replace the diff and transfer case oils? Should I be paying attention to anything else? I learnt a valuable lesson and am hopeing it doesn't turn out to be an expensive one. A big thanks in advance for any advice.

AB
22nd January 2012, 08:23 AM
Hi mate, you might not need to change the oils but definitely worth a look.

Just unscrew the drain holes a tiny bit and keep turning very slowly with a cup held underneath the hole and try and let out a tiny bit only in the cup.

Oil is less dense the water so if you have water in your diffs, etc then it will be sitting at the bottom. If water comes out then change it, if It's nice looking oil then you should be ok mate.

You also might have to take your seats out, pull the carpet up, wedge some things under the carpet and air it all out too.

Check the rear of the car for water as well.

How did the water get into the airbox, was it just sucked in from the intake or is it not sealed properly?

AB
22nd January 2012, 08:31 AM
Have you got any photos of you in the water hole by chance?

Rip'n'Shred
22nd January 2012, 03:35 PM
Have you got any photos of you in the water hole by chance?

Lol, just wondering if this request is to assist or just for sadistic reasons. We do love pics. :)

AB
22nd January 2012, 09:17 PM
Lol, just wondering if this request is to assist or just for sadistic reasons. We do love pics. :)

Mate, we've all done stupid things and I for one are well known for the stupidity of water crossings so I want to see other misfortunes....LMAO

jackliveshere
23rd January 2012, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the advice AB. I had to remove all seats and even the rear draws as everything managed to get wet. Im not sure how the water got into the air filter box but will try to investigate that tomorrow and will also check the oils. Im new to 4wdriving so have learnt a good lesson already. I'm just thankful it wasn't an expensive one :-) I know a few out there will be keen to bag me out for not checking the depth properly etc and maybe with more experience I may have been able to get out without the use of the winch but we all have to learn somehow. I hope to meet up with some experienced people in the future and learn as much as I can. Thanks again mate

jackliveshere
23rd January 2012, 12:08 AM
Oh and I know the cable for the winch controller was in a stupid position. Another lesson learnt :-)

YNOT
23rd January 2012, 12:10 AM
Oh and I know the cable for the winch controller was in a stupid position. Another lesson learnt :-)

Hard wire a winch control switch with seperate isolator switch into the dashboard.

Tony