PDA

View Full Version : Catchcan 4.2 GU

Lewy
21st January 2012, 08:45 AM
Gday all

Is this the line where I need to connected the catch can too?

Also what is the point of this line? Is it just to release presser from the motor?

Anyhoo any info on this will be greatly appreciated..

Cheers Lewy

MudRunnerTD
21st January 2012, 09:07 AM
Yes mate that will do. It is from the PCV (Pressure Control Valve) from the rocker cover to allow no pressure build up when it all get hot, the PCV is basically a breather that gets a little dirty sometimes and spits oil out. Anti Pollution determines that it should not dump onto the road (Motor cyclists dont think much of it either ;) ) and a catch can there will save you having to run that crap back through your Turbo.

That is the right spot.

Cheers

Snafu
21st January 2012, 09:12 AM
Buy a proper catch can get a Provent 200 made by Mann & Hummel

Lewy
21st January 2012, 11:07 AM
Ok Great Cheers Guys :-)
So would this not help lube up the turbo ? Probably a silly question LOL But I did notice when I pulled off the intercooler to clean it out it had oil up in it so that cant be good.....

Cheers Lewy

Lewy
21st January 2012, 11:12 AM
Mine doesn't seem to have this filter you speek off??

YNOT
21st January 2012, 12:29 PM
Ok Great Cheers Guys :-)
So would this not help lube up the turbo ? Probably a silly question LOL But I did notice when I pulled off the intercooler to clean it out it had oil up in it so that cant be good.....

Cheers Lewy

The turbo is pressure fed oil from the engine. The oil in the intercooler, pipes and inlet manifold is condensed crankcase ventilation vapour. The oil coating on the inside of the intercooler reduces the efficiency of the intercooler.

Does anybody know about the in-line filter in this hose? What is it's purpose? And should it be removed from the original hose and inserted into the new hose when a catch can is installed?

There is no filter in the hose indicated. There is a one way valve installed in one of the vacuum hoses in the left rear of the engine bay, I know because when I installed my PCV filter I reinstalled that hose the wrong way around and had no vacuum assistance to the brakes.

Gday all

Is this the line where I need to connected the catch can too?

Also what is the point of this line? Is it just to release presser from the motor?

Anyhoo any info on this will be greatly appreciated..

Cheers Lewy

Yes that is the right hose.
All internal combustion engines produce blowby gases, combustion pressure that leaks past the piston rings and into the crankcase. Inside the crankcase there is also oil mist/vapour from the oil being thrown around inside the engine. These gases and vapours need to be released from the engine but venting to atmosphere would be a hydrocarbon emmission. The cheapest way for vehicle manufactures to deal with these gases is to fit the hose in the photo, allowing the crankcase vapours to be drawn back into the engine to be burnt. The downside to this cheap solution is the oil mist coats everything it touches, including after shutdown the Mass Air Flow sensor.
By fitting a PCV filter or catch can the oil mist can be collected before it is drawn into the engine while still allowing the blowby gasses to be drawn in to be burnt.

Tony

Lewy
21st January 2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks for that Tony much appreciated :-)

Lewy