PDA

View Full Version : 2007 DX GU PATROL CV JOINTS??????? ex fleet vehicle have had it 2 days

grubkenbel
19th January 2012, 11:21 AM
Just wondering where the best place is for cv joints in qld (that dont charge like a wounded bull :))
with delivery as im out west.

Looks like the front passenger side is on its way out as its leaking from the housing and is starting to make a slight howl noise (very slight) or could be just the swivel hub kit?
Also when changing the swivel hub kit would that mean axle could be worn and also need replacing?

Also need to find a manual for it - Y 61 (PRESUMING ITS A ZD30 going to check on the tags soon as i forgot that yesterday as i was busy laying under the car checking what needs to be replaced.

Car yard had it delivered from brissy only 6hrs before and said they had serviced everything yet i found the following:

*Leaking gritty grease from front passenger side CV Housing (presuming its the cv on its way out)
wheel bearing seems fine

* Front and Rear diffs oils need replacing as they haven't been done (sales guy/owner of yard said to do it as per the manual) which in the service was done at 80000. so well and truly due now.

* Needs new Steering Damper

* Needs new suspension and Bump stops

* Grease oozing and splattering from the drive shaft (maybe over greased?)

Idiots in bris had to blue tag it for the 2 extra seats in the back as on the make plate it seats only 5 but the belts were already built into the side walls at the back and also had the anchor points for the seats there too. anyway they dont check to see if the seat belts fit into the clips and guess what? they dont so had to take it back yesterday to get the clips replaced. (great engineer that was and roadworthy dude lol)

I will be going back over it with a fine tooth comb today and making sure everything else is right.:(

YNOT
19th January 2012, 02:35 PM
If there is oil leaking down the brake backing plates then you need to replace the inner axle oil seal. CV joints are very reliable on GU, test by engaging 4WD and front hubs and do a slow speed figure 8 on a loose surface like dirt or grass. Normal to hear some scrabbling from the tyres, not normal to hear loud clicking or banging from the front end.

Try www.nizzbits.com.au for cheap genuine Nissan new parts.

DX model Patrols were 5 seat only, if yours has 7 seats it's likely someone has fitted the third row seats and belts from a wreck, all the mounting points and child anchor points would have already been there from the factory.

Tony

MudRunnerTD
19th January 2012, 10:18 PM
Yep the inner axle seal will be letting the front diff oil wash into the swivel hub and wash out your wheel bearings mate, make sure the Swivel Hub Rebuild kit comes with a full set of seals and you can get a fairly well priced set with wheel bearings from Japan of ebay for a couple of Hundred bucks.

As Tony said mate your CVs and Axles are near bullet proof and will click when engaged at full lock but likely not make a sound when in 4wd going straight and arn't even spinning when in 2wd. Whirling noise is much more likely to be wheel bearings and yours may be running with a lack of good grease due to the diff oil leak into the hub.

The grease around the drive shaft could be over greased, slack mechanic leaking grease and not wiping the excess off and letting it get spat out when driving or a leaking grease nipple. No big deal and easy to sort out.

Check the bump stops mate? it would be unusual that they would need replacing unless this thing has been hammered??

grubkenbel
20th January 2012, 02:37 AM
Check the bump stops mate? it would be unusual that they would need replacing unless this thing has been hammered??

Will take pics for you in the morning and post them they are shattered

i'd say definately hammered :(

MudRunnerTD
25th May 2012, 07:08 PM
Hey Ishie, did you read the responses mate? it is very unlikely top be your CVs, have a read of the detailed responses and set your mind at ease a little.

nissannewby
25th May 2012, 10:31 PM
I have recently heard of one of these failing the king pin bearings on a GU which caused oil to leak out check these too jack the front up grab the tyre and see where the movements at.