PDA

View Full Version : Oil light please help

mitchelljames
16th January 2012, 08:48 PM
Hi all just after some advice I checked my oil today after doing a big trip and it was very low on the way to get oil the engine light came on , I filled her up with oil but the light won't go off ...any ideas ? 2008 3crd gu ute ... It's possibly a tad overfull

AB
16th January 2012, 09:18 PM
Hey mate, a tad overfull....Do you mean just a mm or two over the max on the dipstick?

How many litres did you put in?

mitchelljames
16th January 2012, 09:25 PM
i put in about a litre or so its about 2 mm over the max on the stick , i have only driven it about 1km since filling

mitchelljames
16th January 2012, 09:29 PM
just checked again its about 7mm might drain some out

the evil twin
16th January 2012, 09:42 PM
If only 1 litre overfilled it then that isn't what is causing the check engine light to come on thats for sure.

Got a scan gauge or tried to read the fault codes?

mitchelljames
16th January 2012, 09:53 PM
Just ordered a scangauge but i wont be home for 2 weeks , i might just play it safe and call into the mechanic first thing in the morning , ill check the oil level in the morning when its cold if its really hight past the max level ill drain some out i dont wanna go down that road..... Its probably my fault for rushing the light had just come on when i was going to buy oil i had checked it early that day(well warm) and it was towards the min level of the dipstick so i figured i could tip in a litre or so no problems but it seems i was wrong.. cheers for your help cant wait to get the scanguage

Yendor
16th January 2012, 10:44 PM
I would be getting it checked out before driving it.

Hopefully it's something simple.

Hongie
16th January 2012, 11:17 PM
generally an oil light indicates low oil pressure, not level.... something to be aware of

mitchelljames
17th January 2012, 09:21 AM
Hi all I just figured it out , when I checked my oil level I wasnt on level ground then on the way home the light came on and I immediately put about a liter of oil in thinking it would take heaps, but when I checked it I had over filled , I got the scanguage onto it and it turns out was water in the fuel light not oil ,
New fuel filter and lesson learnt don't panic and jam oil in

mitchelljames
17th January 2012, 09:23 AM
I might add I have only been filling up at big named fuel company's so im not sure how water got in there , has anyone else had this issue

AB
17th January 2012, 09:35 AM
I might add I have only been filling up at big named fuel company's so im not sure how water got in there , has anyone else had this issue

I got water in my fuel from a big named station where their tank was leaking water in, or you can get it if you fill up whilst the tanker is also filling the main tank at the station which stirs up the fuel and water in the tanks, etc.

Have you been offroad much in deep water / muddy holes?

mitchelljames
17th January 2012, 01:53 PM
No I haven't been off road to much at all , I only had the filter changed 3000 km ago ,so it must have been from bad fuel
It's a pain in the ass but I don't see how you can get around it

alexx
9th July 2012, 03:21 PM
Don't you think twas accumulated moisture?

threedogs
9th July 2012, 03:30 PM
My oil light comes on now and then its a nissan fault, all I do is stop restart and all is good. Will be replacing it down the track